Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

TaurusOxford posted:

Probably because they know 99.9% of their audience already have a dozen or more 10+ foot USB cables, but they have to throw in a USB cable for that 0.1% who would complain that they just bought an expensive device and have no way to charge it.

You're right. Receiving less for your expensive purchase is definitely better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Arkage posted:

I'm considering doing a dual boot scenario just in order to play Destiny 2. Has anybody tried this, or any major pluses or minuses beyond 1) the major hassle it'll likely be to set up and 2) spending 100 of my gigs to play a single game occasionally?

The solution I went with was to stop playing Destiny 2 several years ago. It has worked out well for me so far but ymmv.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Does the Switch charger work on the Deck? I've already got one of those lying around in my bedroom

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Deck charger cord is longer than my phone charger. I'm able to play on my couch with it plugged in. Maybe you have less outlets or something?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah I didn’t know the charger was considered short. How long do you want it?

I remember the PS3 came with a tiny controller charger

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
(safe) longer cables need to be thicker and heavier and thus less portable which kinda sucks when you don't need it

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
As far as I know, the Deck's USB C is standard (the Switch has a non-standard usb-c port), meaning it should charge from any USB charger. So you could replace the charger with your own, just remember that it draws more power than most chargers put out so you should use it with a 60 watt charger if you want to charge while playing. If you just want it to charge overnight, then pretty much any charger should do.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Given the complaint I was under the impression it was a 2 foot cable at most, simply thrown in to say there's a USB charging cable. :confused:

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I bought a cheap 65w charger with a longer cord off Amazon and it works like a dream. I can play while it charges

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I got a Deck now and I have no idea what I want to play on it.

I did the Aperture Desk Job thing just to break it in so to speak and it seems good. V comfy.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
There was an semi-effortpost on reddit a day or so ago about which chargers will work and which will cause problems. I can't vouch for any of the information, but it might be worth a read if you're thinking about replacing the charger.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Protocol7 posted:

I got a Deck now and I have no idea what I want to play on it.

I did the Aperture Desk Job thing just to break it in so to speak and it seems good. V comfy.

Turn based stuff or anything pixel works great. Jupiter Hell is an amazing "I'll take a 15 minute break" game. Terraria works well, so does Cuphead. Both of those are worth buying if you don't have them yet. Vampire Survivor is also a really good bet and easy to play.

Really, for me its more about interface than performance. I don't like playing FPS's on twin sticks, and mouse-heavy games are a little hit or miss. I tried rimworld for a bit and it was ok, on a plane or something I'll probably just pair a mouse.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
My deck came with a normal ~6' charger cable.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I wish I could have the same filtering options for my wishlist as on PC. I'm not scrolling through 300 items by hand, Valve!!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Vampire Survivors is an obvious choice. Filtered my library down to Playable and better games, think I'll finally play through Kindoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning among a few other backlog titles that seemed interesting.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I just bought Sekiro because it’s discounted on Steam, been wanting to try this out for a long time and I thought it said it was deck verified.

Also, I’m a moron when it comes to most things, so is the reason my Deck barely charged when I use the usb c cable I have in my bedroom the cable or the usb brick I have it attached to? I have this cable.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B076FPGWNZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ZR7PTTQBQ7MV6A9BXDHZ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Sekiro is deck verified, all the FROM games but the first DS are

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Its the brick

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Sekiro is deck verified, all the FROM games but the first DS are

Prepare to die works at least

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
In case anyone was interested in a relaxing game with a great soundtrack:

Katamari Damacy is on sale and Deck verified. Essentially your goal is to roll a sticky ball around and stick things to it until it gets large enough to be a star.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I've got one word to say to that: Nah.

Nah nah na-nah nah nah, nah nah Katamari Damacy~

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

i must compose posted:

Prepare to die works at least
Remastered DS 1 works perfectly too, I've had no issues.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Less Fat Luke posted:

Remastered DS 1 works perfectly too, I've had no issues.

Well it’s just not verified, a game doesn’t need to be verified but you got to be careful

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well it’s just not verified, a game doesn’t need to be verified but you got to be careful

Yeah I'm just trying to save someone from playing PtD instead of remastered :)

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Also pretty big software update tonight!

https://twitter.com/OnDeck/status/1518735004091641856

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Dang got my preorder on Thursday but now the shipping page says delayed :(

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

For those who just got their orders in today, who got a 512GB and at what time did you order?

I feel like this is my version of "harder daddy." I remember first running the Steam Deck calculator and got a Mid-May delivery, this other one says late June. brb, gonna go gently caress myself. lmao

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

quote:

SD card formatting now tests to see if a card has less storage than advertised

that's actually pretty rad, if anyone was going to get bit by that it's "steam deck owners getting terabyte SD cards as HD replacements"

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The actual interesting thing in the release notes is

quote:

Added Half-Rate Shading experimental option, forcing 2x2 Variable Rate Shading into existing games for power savings

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Dramicus posted:

As far as I know, the Deck's USB C is standard (the Switch has a non-standard usb-c port), meaning it should charge from any USB charger. So you could replace the charger with your own, just remember that it draws more power than most chargers put out so you should use it with a 60 watt charger if you want to charge while playing. If you just want it to charge overnight, then pretty much any charger should do.

The switch charges fine with my phone charger

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also this

quote:

Battery life is improved in idle or very low usage scenarios.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Senator Drinksalot posted:

The switch charges fine with my phone charger

You are fortunate, because the switch's usb-c does not comply with standards and it has been known to get bricked by other non-compliant USB-C devices and cables.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
That’s only for some third-party docks, it won’t get bricked just charging

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Does the Deck's charger come as a single unit with the brick and the cable, like the Switch, or is it a separate cable and brick, like a phone or tablet? Could you hypothetically buy just a 10' USB-C cable and use it to charge the device?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Single unit, sadly.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Loop Hero now has controller support. My life is over~~

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Dramicus posted:

You are fortunate, because the switch's usb-c does not comply with standards and it has been known to get bricked by other non-compliant USB-C devices and cables.

You're thinking of sketchy 3rd party docks, which I dunno why anyone buys because the official Nintendo one isn't even that expensive

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Senator Drinksalot posted:

You're thinking of sketchy 3rd party docks, which I dunno why anyone buys because the official Nintendo one isn't even that expensive

The Genki travel dock is way better imo. And it works with Steam Deck, MBP etc…

Goodfeila
Apr 25, 2010

My Deck is lost somewhere in shipping limbo and the logistics firm had to create an incident ticket to investigate :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

unfortunately the OS update hasn't fixed my issues yet. i played ary & the secret of seasons for around 10 minutes, which is a super GPU-intensive game (highly unoptimized) and has a pretty large power draw unless you want the FPS to be in the single-digits, but there was no hang. played atomicrops, a basic 2D pixel game, and the gpu froze/reset within the first 2 minutes, basically 15 seconds out of the opening cutscene. i may need to check the system log when the gpu hangs to see what specific error is being spit out, then cross reference that with non steam deck search results to see if this is definitively a hardware issue or a driver/kernel issue.

currently i'm nearing the end of pixel puzzle makeout league (a picross VN) and mindseize (a metroidvania). after those, i might try some of the games from the humble ukraine bundle (say no more, and post void). maybe forgotton anne? i have so many games to play so if some crash the GPU i'm not in a huge rush to RMA yet