Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Edge is refusing to sync my collections between my PC and android phone. I've logged in and out on both devices, tried resetting the sync option, and nothing doing. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Once again Windows 11 isn't putting my display nor pc to sleep and I can't figure out why. This drives me nuts!

edit: Updated the motherboard's firmware and now it seems to work again. :shrug:

Housh fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 24, 2022

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Really, Macrium? An email with a link to a downloader program just to get the 1GB+ installer? What is this, 2007? Who do you think you are? Acronis? Gross.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Flipperwaldt posted:

Really, Macrium? An email with a link to a downloader program just to get the 1GB+ installer? What is this, 2007? Who do you think you are? Acronis? Gross.

There's a checkbox to save the full installer locally if you want to install it more than once.

(also the installer is only ~175mb if this is reflect free you're looking at)

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Klyith posted:

There's a checkbox to save the full installer locally if you want to install it more than once.

(also the installer is only ~175mb if this is reflect free you're looking at)
Yeah I saved it now. Looking at it, it's just the PE components bloating this up, that's my bad.

I'm really just annoyed at how the number of useless steps makes this feel onerous. (Useless to me) Would straight up be looking at alternatives if I didn't already have a number of old images in their proprietary format.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Flipperwaldt posted:

Yeah I saved it now. Looking at it, it's just the PE components bloating this up, that's my bad.

I'm really just annoyed at how the number of useless steps makes this feel onerous. (Useless to me) Would straight up be looking at alternatives if I didn't already have a number of old images in their proprietary format.

They probably do it that way to attempt to track some metrics on free users etc

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
I'm stumped on a problem. A retail store I work for needs to submit to the state a loss report of product during a break-in. The state provides a .csv file template to be filled in and summitted. Easy, right?

The barcodes from the lost project must be listed in this file, and many start with three letters, but many start with numbers.

These numbers-only barcodes are 17 digits. I just learned that Excel truncates to 15 digits in a cell. I'm tried using Excel as well as OpenOffice.

I can make it look anyway I want, but once I save it to a .csv for submittal, all that matters not.

Anybody ever been up against this?

tl;dr: Am I really going to have to do this manually in Notepad?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is it truncating because they are leading zeros?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

You can't start the cell value with a ' to force Excel to treat them as strings?

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
No, truncating due to length. They being with the number 1.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/troubleshoot/excel/last-digits-changed-to-zeros
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/excel-specifications-and-limits-1672b34d-7043-467e-8e27-269d656771c3

Excel as a spreadsheet wants to use scientific notation for long numbers. The advice that follows in the above doc are fine if I didn't have to spit out a .csv file (formatting loss)

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Zorak of Michigan posted:

You can't start the cell value with a ' to force Excel to treat them as strings?
I had hoped, yes, but the resultant .csv file gets refused during the upload to the state.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is using VS Code with a CSV extension going to work for you?

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
I could give it a shot, sure. Never used it, but happy to try anything else at this point.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Unless I'm missing something you should be able to format the cells as text and not have any truncating issues.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
If some dumbass had an infected computer that was ruined possibly to the UEFI would it make sense to replace the hard drive with an older installation of windows or one that would be corrupted as well.

This one is super sick and refreshing Windows doesn’t work.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

If some dumbass had an infected computer that was ruined possibly to the UEFI would it make sense to replace the hard drive with an older installation of windows or one that would be corrupted as well.

This one is super sick and refreshing Windows doesn’t work.

In-the-wild UEFI malware for PCs is still extremely rare. The known cases of it actually happening are limited to a couple of targeted attacks by states against diplomats, journalists, etc. A widespread malware that normal people could be exposed to, Trickbot, had the ability to test UEFI writing, and would then report results + computer model to the botnet C&C. But afaik it never deployed those abilities.

(For background, a UEFI malware attack against normal PCs has a big downside for the attacker: they have to customize it for every model of PC they're targeting. That's why you don't see it as a common thing. Yet. It is becoming common to infect firmware of routers & internet devices though, which is much easier.)

So, I would put UEFI malware really low on the list of possibilities. But if you've been hit by malware, a "refresh" isn't good enough. You should be wiping the drive 100% clean and reinstalling from nothing. Malware can totally survive a half-assed reinstall.

In the remote possibility that you do have UEFI malware, I suggest a trash can. Theoretically flashing a new BIOS would fix it, but I'd imagine the first thing a UEFI malware would do is disable that. (Some desktop boards have a low-level flash that might work still.)

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Klyith posted:

In-the-wild UEFI malware for PCs is still extremely rare. The known cases of it actually happening are limited to a couple of targeted attacks by states against diplomats, journalists, etc. A widespread malware that normal people could be exposed to, Trickbot, had the ability to test UEFI writing, and would then report results + computer model to the botnet C&C. But afaik it never deployed those abilities.

(For background, a UEFI malware attack against normal PCs has a big downside for the attacker: they have to customize it for every model of PC they're targeting. That's why you don't see it as a common thing. Yet. It is becoming common to infect firmware of routers & internet devices though, which is much easier.)

So, I would put UEFI malware really low on the list of possibilities. But if you've been hit by malware, a "refresh" isn't good enough. You should be wiping the drive 100% clean and reinstalling from nothing. Malware can totally survive a half-assed reinstall.

In the remote possibility that you do have UEFI malware, I suggest a trash can. Theoretically flashing a new BIOS would fix it, but I'd imagine the first thing a UEFI malware would do is disable that. (Some desktop boards have a low-level flash that might work still.)

OK so I’m gonna swap out an old NVMI

Thank you for the confidence

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Anyone know what the deal is here...

I bought a key online for Office 2021 and it worked for about a month and a half and now I get an error after reinstalling Windows. I've found absolutely no help online and there's basically no option in Office to do anything other than buy another key or log in through a different account. It's not installed on any other PCs of mine and I haven't changed any hardware. It shows as purchased under my Microsoft account but there's not really any option to deactivate previous installations or anything like that. Whether I log into my Microsoft account or try to re-enter the CD key I get the same screen saying it's installed on another PC and no option to do anything but purchase another key or use a different account.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

TOOT BOOT posted:

Anyone know what the deal is here...

I bought a key online for Office 2021 and it worked for about a month and a half and now I get an error after reinstalling Windows. I've found absolutely no help online and there's basically no option in Office to do anything other than buy another key or log in through a different account. It's not installed on any other PCs of mine and I haven't changed any hardware. It shows as purchased under my Microsoft account but there's not really any option to deactivate previous installations or anything like that. Whether I log into my Microsoft account or try to re-enter the CD key I get the same screen saying it's installed on another PC and no option to do anything but purchase another key or use a different account.

Contact support to transfer your license. It is still registered to the computer from before you reinstalled it.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

SEKCobra posted:

Contact support to transfer your license. It is still registered to the computer from before you reinstalled it.

It's the same computer, nothing changed other than reinstalling Windows. If they're tying activations to particular Windows installs they should let you deactivate it in some automated way that as far as I can tell doesn't exist. There doesn't seem to be phone activation for Office 2021 either.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's the same computer, nothing changed other than reinstalling Windows. If they're tying activations to particular Windows installs they should let you deactivate it in some automated way that as far as I can tell doesn't exist. There doesn't seem to be phone activation for Office 2021 either.

Try following this troubleshooting guide: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/unlicensed-product-and-activation-errors-in-office-0d23d3c0-c19c-4b2f-9845-5344fedc4380

There are links at the end for 2019 and so on. It’s MS at their finest unfortunately, but it looks like at the end you can contact support.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
I want to thank everyone for the help with the .csv file oddity. It was a case of quantum mechanics--I changed it by observing it.

As recommended, text format and verification with VS Code produced the correct file, but re-opening it in Excel to check it re-introduced the issue.

Edit with text format cells and checked in VS Code showed the correct values.

Thank you Thants, Pteretis, and Zorak

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I want to be able to easily view all files on other computers on my local network in explorer without having to share individual folders and such. Is there a way to do that? They are all linked to the same outlook account if that makes any difference.

I don't care about security at all I'm just looking for convenience.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

FuzzySlippers posted:

I want to be able to easily view all files on other computers on my local network in explorer without having to share individual folders and such. Is there a way to do that? They are all linked to the same outlook account if that makes any difference.

something like \\computername\c$ ?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Once stuff is shared on your network, you can have voidtools Everything index it. I'm assuming the question generally will be where a thing is, or in how many places it exists anyway.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

nitsuga posted:

Try following this troubleshooting guide: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/unlicensed-product-and-activation-errors-in-office-0d23d3c0-c19c-4b2f-9845-5344fedc4380

There are links at the end for 2019 and so on. It’s MS at their finest unfortunately, but it looks like at the end you can contact support.

Thanks, none of those steps helped but I used the link at the end to contact live support and they fixed it on their end. The rep implied this problem is caused by hardware changes but there weren't any (just a normal Windows reset) so who knows...

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Tapedump posted:

I want to thank everyone for the help with the .csv file oddity. It was a case of quantum mechanics--I changed it by observing it.

As recommended, text format and verification with VS Code produced the correct file, but re-opening it in Excel to check it re-introduced the issue.

The only thing i know about Excel and CSV is to use File => open or Data => import. And not simple doubleclick

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

FuzzySlippers posted:

Why not just use OneDrive?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My Remote Desktop session to my home PC is stuck on "please wait" and I can't get it unstuck since I'm on another continent.

Supposedly it should be possible to log in under a different account, but my other account doesn't have remote login allowed. I have a VM running on my home NAS so I can run any commands there but it doesn't react to remote shutdown. I also tried the PowerShell "query session" command but it doesn't find any RD sessions even though I'm connected to the "please wait" screen.

Any ideas how I can either get the remotr session killed or restart the computer?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

mobby_6kl posted:

My Remote Desktop session to my home PC is stuck on "please wait" and I can't get it unstuck since I'm on another continent.

Supposedly it should be possible to log in under a different account, but my other account doesn't have remote login allowed. I have a VM running on my home NAS so I can run any commands there but it doesn't react to remote shutdown. I also tried the PowerShell "query session" command but it doesn't find any RD sessions even though I'm connected to the "please wait" screen.

Any ideas how I can either get the remotr session killed or restart the computer?

Can you restart the TermService (Remote Desktop Service) service from remote powershell?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Nitpick: query isn't a PowerShell command; it's actually a standalone command-line executable. The inherent joy of pedantry aside, I bring it up because its mechanism for remote access is different from PowerShell Remoting. PowerShell Remoting usually takes some extra setup in non-enterprise situations, but if you think you may have done that setup at some point, you can try
code:
Invoke-Command -ComputerName <NameOfRemoteComputer> -Credential <UserNameOnRemoteComputer> -Scriptblock <SomeCommandsInCurlyBraces>
Another option that's probably more likely to work is PSExec, which uses yet another remote access mechanism.

If neither of those options pans out, and if that VM is accepting remote commands, you could enable remote login for that other account. I don't have time at the moment, but I can give more details on that if you end up needing it.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Is there a simple way to replace my desktop with a file list? I just want my files alphabetical in a list since I know the name of what I am looking for 9/10 times, and hate having to search for the icons even if they are always in the same space (which they're not, because I tend to put poo poo on my desktop and sort it out later.)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Disregard, apparently Fall Creators update killed what I was suggesting.

Toshimo fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 16, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

^^^ hopefully I'm not about to suggest the same thing

Boba Pearl posted:

Is there a simple way to replace my desktop with a file list? I just want my files alphabetical in a list since I know the name of what I am looking for 9/10 times, and hate having to search for the icons even if they are always in the same space (which they're not, because I tend to put poo poo on my desktop and sort it out later.)

You can have your desktop auto sort icons alphabetically and when you put something there it will snap it into the correct order. You can even click on a random icon and start typing to go to those letters.

Alternatively, you can hide everything on your desktop and put that sort of stuff in a temp folder, like downloads, then just have that pinned to your task bar.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think I’m being weird but I think it’s a little dumb that Windows 11 put the taskbar contents right in the center but also didn’t allow you to put the start button at the center and have icons populate around it.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Internet Explorer posted:

Alternatively, you can hide everything on your desktop and put that sort of stuff in a temp folder, like downloads, then just have that pinned to your task bar.

What I ended up doing was putting everything in a folder named Desktop, and made the icons as small as possible. Then I regedit so that Total Commander was my default explorer shell, and set that to run on start-up. Basically the same thing I guess. Going to seriously hate the upgrade to Windows 11 when the interface gets even worse.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Oh well. Maybe in 23H2 it's time to upgrade from Win10?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

jokes posted:

I think I’m being weird but I think it’s a little dumb that Windows 11 put the taskbar contents right in the center but also didn’t allow you to put the start button at the center and have icons populate around it.

Yeah, I moved it back to the left corner because 25 years of muscle memory says the bottom left is where the start menu is. I could have gotten used to the center if it didn't move every time I opened a new app.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My secret shame is I actually ended up liking the tile grid, it let me pin stuff in certain spots and there were nice clear icons with gaps.

The W11 style is just a bin of icons and while the icons don't move, I still hunt around too much finding an app. I hate that it needs third party apps to get the old style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I use start screen instead of start menu in Windows 10. It rules.