Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
i hear they have used spongebob memes as a means to bypass censorship, anyone have some good ones??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

a7m2 posted:

Shanghai is a shitshow, nobody is denying that, but it really is just Shanghai and immediate surroundings at this point in time and cases have been dropping the last week or so. The lockdowns have been very effective in the rest of the country for the past two years. Shenzhen is the third or fourth biggest city in the country, had an outbreak at the same time, and it did great. Timing is key when it comes to lockdowns and Shanghai was very slow to kick into gear compared to everywhere else.

There are problems that have been causing the lockdowns to be less effective than they could have been, such as the poor plumbing in older places spreading the virus, communal kitchens and bathrooms in poor areas, mass testing causing people to congregate, etc. They've been trying to address these issues by for example delivering food instead of having people use communal kitchens. Timing helps here too since it's much easier to keep a single building or xiaoqu under control than large districts even with these issues.

They haven't really been dropping though? They've been going down like a percent a day and then popped back up to 25k. You do a lockdown you expect to see them plummet rapidly because vectors of transmission should be hugely minimized

Ailumao posted:

This is also probably true to an extent. No one knows the true numbers.

I wanted to point out that from what I've seen and heard from friends in the medical field (in Shanghai anyway) a lot of hospitals aren't at max capacity but unable to admit people due to covid-related rules and restrictions. If this is what's happening imo it's actually worse than the other scenario cuz it's just the bureaucracy blocking people from getting care they need. the real situation is probably a bit more in the middle tho.

Yeah that's about my read on it, too: it doesn't sound like the dreaded 'full healthcare system collapse' and even if you somewhat conspiratorially add a week or two to the outbreak timeline, it would still be very early for the healthcare system too be too swamped as severe covid cases tend to take 3-5 weeks to hit the most acute illness. I am kind of splitting hair because yeah if people can't get needed care, it doesn't make much difference to those people what term you use

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 25, 2022

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Megillah Gorilla posted:

There are still interesting posts in there from time to time, but it's run like a high school debate club with the most tedious "it's okay to debate the Holocaust from Hitler's perspective as long as everyone is respectful of the other opinions" wonks in charge.

This honestly would be so bad if it wasn't for the blatant malicious enforcement, but a petty mid-level administrator using their power to punish people who don't pay them "proper respect" via selectively enforcing obtuse rules is just perfect for the China thread.

I especially liked the, "You have to cite sources :colbert: wait not those sources :mad:" exchange

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

They haven't really been dropping though? They've been going down like a percent a day and then popped back up to 25k. You do a lockdown you expect to see them plummet rapidly because vectors of transmission should be hugely minimized

It doesn't rapidly plummet. Things like household contacts give it a surprising amount of staying power, and there are other avenues for infection between households and between the people who do have to go outside. Australia (esp. Melbourne) had some pretty harsh lockdowns (albeit not as harsh as Shanghai now) and it took ages to drop down.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Did Early get recast or something? I recall him sounding different.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Fearless posted:

Did Early get recast or something? I recall him sounding different.

In a shocking twist, Unknown Hinson had a problem with black people, so he was replaced by Tracy Morgan.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Specifically, he started making GBS threads on Dolly Parton for saying something pro-BLM in August, 2020. He was shortly thereafter canceled and replaced. Tracy is loving incredible. Every time he starts going on about georgia football I hear southern georgia pour out of him. I live in North Florida, so essentially the same part of the world that squidbillies is lampooning.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I might be biased but the kinda georgia:north-flordia cultural zone is one of the most under-rated regional cultures in the country. I probably am biased because my dad grew up in Tennessee but I completely do not vibe with that state and so georgia is the closest I can get to a similar feel without actually having to deal with Tennessee

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 26, 2022

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Mr. Nice! posted:

Specifically, he started making GBS threads on Dolly Parton for saying something pro-BLM in August, 2020. He was shortly thereafter canceled and replaced. Tracy is loving incredible. Every time he starts going on about georgia football I hear southern georgia pour out of him. I live in North Florida, so essentially the same part of the world that squidbillies is lampooning.
How is he at ad-libbing on a scale of 1 to Dana Snyder?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

How is Tracy Morgan at ad-libbing? :dafuq:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

McGavin posted:

How is Tracy Morgan at ad-libbing? :dafuq:
I barely watched 30 Rock plz don't hurt me

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
ABC news in Australia is currently doing a story that Beijing is under "impending lockdown" after they started mass testing.

Feel so sorry for everyone caught up in it. I know so many people who almost went mad under Melbourne's lockdowns, but they were nothing compared to how harsh China's are.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Shumagorath posted:

He’s good.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Mr. Nice! posted:

Every time he starts going on about georgia football I hear southern georgia pour out of him. I live in North Florida, so essentially the same part of the world that squidbillies is lampooning.

Please do not remind me of my cultural heritage thanks.

also gooooo dawgs! Sic ‘‘em woof woof woof

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

ABC news in Australia is currently doing a story that Beijing is under "impending lockdown" after they started mass testing.

Feel so sorry for everyone caught up in it. I know so many people who almost went mad under Melbourne's lockdowns, but they were nothing compared to how harsh China's are.

I mean, so far it's been:

~3 days of panic
~7 days of food uncertainty
~3 weeks of boring food
~1 month of boredom

So yeah, poo poo sucks, and if you're one of the people who got stuck without enough food, or (I am still privately convinced deliberately) left out of the welfare programs then that is legit nightmare territory, but for the majority of people it shouldn't be madness-inducing, just boring and frustrating.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Guy Axlerod posted:

My sister in law is in Beijing right now. She went to stock up on food, and said stores were already running low. We heard people were using Coke as a unit of barter in Shanghai, and I suggested candy and cigarettes as well.

The coke that ruins your teeth or the coke that ruins your sinuses?

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound

WarpedNaba posted:

The coke that ruins your teeth or the coke that ruins your sinuses?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
my old roommate in Shanghai is on his 28th day of not leaving his actual apartment. no end in sight - he was able to get some food for hundreds and hundreds of RMB. he's like vice-CEO of a Chinese-American company so he's doing fine, but at this point you start to wonder how everyone who doesn't make six figures is doing. I'm just spitballing here, but I'm guessing it's "not great", then again I'm just a white racist sexpat loser in my home country so wat do I know :shrug:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
zero covid is working fine, ignore the community transmission in beijing and the rumors that beijing will be shutting down

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

My favorite time of the year is when they staple the leaves back onto the trees.

https://i.imgur.com/lkofonB.mp4

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
LOL WTF

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
SPRING IS HERE

BY MANDATE

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

McGavin posted:

My favorite time of the year is when they staple the leaves back onto the trees.

lol this is a new one to me, amazing.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

fourrrr seeeasonssss

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

McGavin posted:

I've heard of grafting trees but this is ridiculous!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Getting some real DPRK "Comrade Xi shouts to the wind and moves seasons" vibes here

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

The Great Autismo! posted:

my old roommate in Shanghai is on his 28th day of not leaving his actual apartment. no end in sight - he was able to get some food for hundreds and hundreds of RMB. he's like vice-CEO of a Chinese-American company so he's doing fine, but at this point you start to wonder how everyone who doesn't make six figures is doing. I'm just spitballing here, but I'm guessing it's "not great", then again I'm just a white racist sexpat loser in my home country so wat do I know :shrug:

My Chinese friend went to Shanghai two months ago for a few-day business meeting with a supplier. He was staying with a Shanghai-local coworker from their SH branch instead of having the company pay for a hotel. During that brief time, someone got the 'vid in that area and the whole community shut down and locked up, which caused my friend to miss his flight home. Once the community felt safe to open back up, the rest of the city started the madness it is currently going through, and he wasn't allowed to make any flights back. He and his coworker were stuck on those weird "one person per day/week" food ration trips until that was ended for them by the government. Now it has been two weeks and they haven't been able to leave to get food (which also doesn't exist anymore since everything is closed), and they are nearly out of all food they were barely able to stock up on since they were already locked up for weeks before this past one-month catastrophe started. I asked what they'll do and he responded "it's ok, I am trying to lose weight and now I don't have to try!" RIP.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

SPRING IS HERE

BY MANDATE

Uhh, no, spring started during the spring festival in January when it was snowing. Did you not see the calendar? It says in big letters "SPRING FESTIVAL." That's when spring starts...just weeks after the winter solstice and months before the spring equinox when the sun crosses the equator and the days become noticeably longer.

Judging by the way the trees are cut, and the uniformity of the leaves, I am guessing those are plastic leaves.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Should I not just assume this is from a movie set or somethint

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
probably a cell tower

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Herstory Begins Now posted:

probably a cell tower

That... actually makes sense. Hope they do a better job than we do

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/vlctorianchild/status/1518787980441182209?s=21&t=go0XDL3lCT00XMF1F2GUbw

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
looks like its gotta be specifically jinro (so i guess chamiseul, lol)

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Soju is the 2nd worst popular alcohol, the first being baijiu of course. It's just half strength vodka with a dash of aspartame. If there's a bar in hell, it serves only soju. Not even Satan would open a baijiu-only bar, though.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Devils Affricate posted:

Soju is the 2nd worst popular alcohol, the first being baijiu of course. It's just half strength vodka with a dash of aspartame. If there's a bar in hell, it serves only soju. Not even Satan would open a baijiu-only bar, though.

If you mix it 1:1 with lovely beer, it makes both drinkable. Or at least you very quickly stop noticing the taste.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
i'm starting to believe there is a correlation between listening to kpop and drinking soju

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Booty Pageant posted:

i'm starting to believe there is a correlation between listening to kpop and drinking soju

Yeah it's called being in a Korean restaurant

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
So did we ever get any more info about that passenger plane that lawn-darted into the ground about two, three weeks ago?

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Not much, yet.

e. The preliminary report s findings.

RoastBeef fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 29, 2022

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

McGavin posted:

Every spring in Beijing they spray-painted plants green, but this is a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

WarpedNaba posted:

So did we ever get any more info about that passenger plane that lawn-darted into the ground about two, three weeks ago?

Never happened and if you bring it up again I assure you - feelings of many people will be hurt.