Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Legacy is probably objectively better but I can't play without being able to turn with right click/drag, so standard I stay.

But right click/drag does turn in legacy mode?

The thing that annoys me is you can't left click turn the camera to look behind you when running in a direction unless you sue autorun. It's worth it to be able to run backwards though, and not do that poo poo where if you attack when running away from a mob your character runs towards then for half a second and put you back into the AoE you were trying to get out of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ledgem posted:

Ive tried 14 with a controller but. I dunno htf anyone plays the game with it how do you target anything?

Point the centre of the screen at the thing you want to target and hit A. If you miss then scroll left or right with the dpad to find the right one. If it's a party member you want to target up and down scrolls through the list so you don't even need to aim.

I clicked my way through LOTRO and SWTOR and I barely saw the fights because I was always staring at the buttons on the screen. With a controller I have my cross hotbars small and 50% transparent when not "up" and just need to glance at them every now and again to check cooldowns.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I've used Standard for just about everything. Only times I've felt like I needed to play in Legacy was in PvP and in UCoB because Heavensfall Trio feels really bad on Standard.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I used to play standard because it was like WoW, but your character just running in a different direction when i used abilities was awful. The ideal movement scheme would be Standard but S makes you run backwards rather than backstep.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

1-5, Shift 1-4, and Alt 1-3 are reachable by my left hand. I click when I have to move and also hit some of those buttons. H, F, and G are on my MMO mouse. C1-5 are activated by holding the button shifter on the mouse and using the buttons on it. Legacy movement, WASD, Q/E strafe, A/D turn but right mouse held makes them strafe.

It's not ideal for some Jobs so far but that's OK I prefer Bard anyway.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

CJ posted:

But right click/drag does turn in legacy mode?

Only when you're in motion, and it's not always a quick turn because your character turns to chase the camera.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I actually use Standard on controller, I just can't get used to Legacy slightly turning the camera when I move with the left stick. If left stick only moved my character I'd be happy with it, but the way the camera turns means that you end up sorta circlestrafing instead of actually strafing and it throws me off completely. :(

I have Extended bars on but only for the face buttons; I find dual holds much more intuitive than doubletaps so I only use doubletaps for once-in-a-fight stuff like invuls or LB.

I use R2 to hotswap my main hotbar between ST and AoE bars; there's some redundancy between them to make getting synced below 90 easier (ST/AoE gauge spenders mostly). R+Face is always 123, R+dpad is weaves, L+face is aggro/ranged and assorted, L+dpad is movement and and assorted (tank 'other player' CDs go here).

For doubleholds L->R is buffs and defensive CDs, and R->L is what I like to call 'phase' buttons.

Lemme explain this one, because it makes perfect sense to me but people look at me like I'm demented when I show them my bars.

These is my main PLD bar and what happens when I hit R2 and swap to AoE: Exactly the same but 1-2 AoE combo.

Now, PLD has a melee phase and a magic phase. Since those are mutually exclusive -for the most part- and I'm already holding R for most of my regular play, I just add L to go into the doublehold R->L, and I get this:

I got all the buttons I need for magic phase (weaves are redundant with main but we're not using that space for anything else) so I can just hold L during the phase, and let go when I'm done which brings me back to main R for my melee combo.

I got this in all tanks, WAR and DRK have their own phase with IR/Delirium and I got the continuation combo for GNB in there.

For Melees I have something similar but for the main combos, for example, DRG gets this:

into this:

Where I have both 1234s with Raiden in the same place for both and all the weaves; Monk has something similar with both 123s, Ninja gets the Mudras, BRD songs are in there, MCH gets the stuff for hypercharge, RPR the stuff for enshroud, etc.

Works for me!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CJ posted:

The ideal movement scheme would be Standard but S makes you run backwards rather than backstep.

Agree 100%

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
You can pry strafe from my Q and E keys when I'm dead in the ground

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Right Trigger = 1/2/3 combo and another GCD on the buttons, OGCD on the dpad (mitigations if tank, damage if dps)
Left Trigger = AOEs and ranged on buttons, healing/panic dpad
RT>LT = Burst phase
LT>RT = Additional clutter (limit break, sprint, superbolide)

Then a shared hotbar (5) I can click to with class changes and teleports.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
1-2-3 type things and anything with a cooldown you need to track on bar 1. No real organization besides stuff that is used the most on face buttons for comfyness.
R+L = AoE and overflow buttons from bar 1
L+R = random utility buttons like surecast and stuff you don't hit often like tank stance
double-tap-R = shared hotbar with sprint and LB and role actions and mounts and stuff
double-tap-L = shared hotbar with various game commands like TP and emotes

Honestly I should update my layouts a bit because certain buttons are weird to hit while running but it mostly works.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm glad everyone has a control scheme that works well for them. :)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Countblanc posted:

You assume too much.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I actively prefer Standard over Legacy on kb/m because I use backstepping for precise positioning in Savage.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I play on a controller so I can instantly move in any direction without having to turn the camera at all

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

Get Innocuous! posted:

How do people target enemies in PVP, especially CC? Tab targeting usually doesn't work for me because it never seems to target what I want it to. I'm wondering if F1-F5 keys would work better instead.

Late response but;

A trick I saw from Arthas stream is that you can hit F1 and target yourself and then hit tab and it'll target the immediate person in front of you. You could probably macro this w/ your mouse/keyboard software if you wanted.

Vitamean posted:

when I was researching RDM vids for TEA there was one clear vid of an rdm that played entirely by clicking their skills

pretty sure they're one of the top parsers for that fight too so the takeaway is Play However You Want

e: behold https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfnTsyEV5QQ

A NIN in my static clicks their UI and parses pretty high. They were even doing it before the ShB rework when mudras weren't on the GCD. We give him poo poo everytime he screen shares/posts a video

Kerrzhe posted:

Q and E are for strafing. R is for auto run. :colbert:

I bound shift + w to autorun and I've never been happier about a keybind (a close 2nd is having Z as a universal mount button)

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Oh, no, I'm vastly incompetent.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Tab and the 1-4 keys are pretty much all my left hand is good for. I use the mouse for camera, movement, and clicking on everything else.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Oh, no, I'm vastly incompetent.

Extremely same.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I click icons because I learned in City of Heroes, where my max level kit had more buttons than could fit into the game's keybind shortcuts.

FFXIV is exactly the same, so why would I play otherwise?

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Vitamean posted:

finally based numpad haver

I use the numpad for my most important bindings: a collapsible menu for emotes and job switching.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

sassassin posted:

Point the centre of the screen at the thing you want to target and hit A. If you miss then scroll left or right with the dpad to find the right one. If it's a party member you want to target up and down scrolls through the list so you don't even need to aim.

I clicked my way through LOTRO and SWTOR and I barely saw the fights because I was always staring at the buttons on the screen. With a controller I have my cross hotbars small and 50% transparent when not "up" and just need to glance at them every now and again to check cooldowns.

Hi. So... what's up with your avatar?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
A new post on the Lodestone Regarding Non-participation/Taunting Behavior During PvP:

quote:

However, we are receiving an unprecedented number of reports concerning uncooperative/lethargic or taunting behavior during matches. Thus I’d like to warn against such behaviors by reviewing the main types of prohibited behaviors.

1. Uncooperative/Lethargic behavior

All PvP content, including Crystalline Conflict, is intended to be a battle/contest of skill between players. Participants must bring their best to the fight, and for this reason uncooperative or lethargic behavior is prohibited. Let’s strive to do our best even in situations where defeat is imminent, regardless of whether or not you’re interested in the rewards.

2. Taunting/Abusive behavior

Taunting, abusive, or slanderous language on chat is prohibited not only in Crystalline Conflict, but in all PvP content. The following examples of target marker/emote usage and other behaviors are also considered taunting behavior and fall under prohibited activities.
  • Repeatedly using the Quick Chat phrase "Nice job!" during a disadvantageous situation
  • Repeatedly using the Quick Chat phrase "Good match!" before the outcome of the match has even been decided
  • Excessively repeating a particular Quick Chat phrase
  • Persistently placing a negative target marker on another player, regardless of whether they are an ally or opponent
  • Using and repeating an emote on top of a downed opponent
  • Setting off fireworks on top of a downed opponent
  • Using Tell or other methods to directly harass/criticize a player outside of a duty after a match has ended
  • Slandering other players through means outside of the game, such as social media
The above is not an exhaustive list of what constitutes taunting/abusive behavior; what's most important is how your actions affect the recipient and others around you, as well as your intent behind them.

There's more there about their process in investigating reports and that spam isn't necessarily intentional, but there was also this closing line:

quote:

In any case, we will continue to make adjustments to PvP job balancing to bring even more exciting, passionate PvP content to you. Please continue to enjoy your matches while upholding the code of conduct.

So, they're definitely intending to do some balance passes, but no word on timing.

Onean fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 26, 2022

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
This is Steve Irwin Animal farm

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I admire the creativity of setting off fireworks inside the instance. i didn't know you could do that.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I've not seen any of the firework/emote toxicity but I've had plenty of matches where people clearly are just trying to get the match over and move on because they're farming rewards and don't care about wins.

But, honestly, I'm okay with that though?

Like, I feel like the solution to "people aren't trying in ranked matches" is to reduce the rewards for losses. You get 700 battlepass points for a loss and 900 for a win. Not a huge difference. But I also wouldn't want them to change it. Because then losses would feel bad.

I don't give a poo poo about the rewards for ranking up because it's just an adventurer plate background I'll never use and a few thousand more battlepass currency. So I'd much rather have this just be a chill murderball game than it start feeling bad to lose.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I have no doubt that toxicity happens but I've really seen very little of it, especially deliberately throwing games. Maybe it's more common in casual matches?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
It's just basically a "don't make your problem someone else's problem" warning.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I've seen the occasional "nice job" spam from a salty player but imagine tracking someone you grouped with down on their server and giving them poo poo. If I end up with a player who does passive-aggressive chat spam I just blacklist them for later.

I also didn't think you could do fireworks in PvP zones. I tried to use one in the starting area during the countdown and it didn't work so I just assumed you couldn't.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Countblanc posted:

I have no doubt that toxicity happens but I've really seen very little of it, especially deliberately throwing games. Maybe it's more common in casual matches?

Eh it happens off and on in gold, imagine more in lower ranks. I imagine the lower ranks will just even get worse over time as being stuck creates an extremely frustrating feedback loop of being with people who are probably also "hard stuck", which can turn to toxic anger. I feel bad for people who are genuinely trying right now in bronze/silver.

I personally haven't seen anything too bad but do see the nice jobs, etc in stomps.

The fireworks thing kind of rules though. Points for cleverness

Edit: have heard of casual full of afkers, etc

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 26, 2022

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Countblanc posted:

I'll see a lot of people just spawning, immediately running to the enemy camp without doing much of anything, dying, spawning, running to the enemy camp, dying, lather, rinse, repeat. No communication. No sticking with the team. A lot of that kind of stuff.

HackensackBackpack posted:

I've seen the occasional "nice job" spam from a salty player but imagine tracking someone you grouped with down on their server and giving them poo poo. If I end up with a player who does passive-aggressive chat spam I just blacklist them for later.

Look, sending people a /tell after the match to bitch at them is a time honored tradition of psychopaths.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm free! Back to other titles!

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I'll see a lot of people just spawning, immediately running to the enemy camp without doing much of anything, dying, spawning, running to the enemy camp, dying, lather, rinse, repeat. No communication. No sticking with the team. A lot of that kind of stuff.

I doubt that is people being toxic though, or even botting. It can just be shocking how bad some people are at competitive games. Watch how hard it is to get most casual fighting game players to block...ever...for a good example. Now I'm just a person who got to high silver and noped out with his Archfiend armor and Garu mounts but ::shrug:: seems like the same thing to me.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

"lethargic behavior" is when you stand around waiting at spawn for the rest of your team instead of throwing yourself into the meatgrinder

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

Genovera posted:

I use the numpad for my most important bindings: a collapsible menu for emotes and job switching.

Number is good. Party finder, member list, duty finder, and all my other good poo poo on there.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Oneiros posted:

"lethargic behavior" is when you stand around waiting at spawn for the rest of your team instead of throwing yourself into the meatgrinder

Yeah what they mean is “you have to actually attempt to play the game, afk-ing is not allowed”, which is a valid rule.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Chatbind spam happens. Mainly at the end when they just hammer 'Nice job!' after losing in lower ranks.

Because as you all probably know, 90% of Bronze thinks they should be in Gold or higher, and it's every other Bronze player's fault they aren't.

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

Mordiceius posted:

Look, sending people a /tell after the match to bitch at them is a time honored tradition of psychopaths.

I've had a psychopath find my discord with a mutual server being aether hunts it was very cool.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I tried to send someone a /tell after seeing them three games in a row to tell them that they were good (I had kept telling my friends in voice "oh that loving rdm is on the other team again") but I was never able to get one through, presumably because they were chain-queueing and you can't send tells to people in matches.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I'll spam "Push the crystal!" When my team has the bright idea to go behind enemy lines to try to "flank" the other team only to get killed.

I wish there was a quick chat for "Stick together!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kazy posted:

I'll spam "Push the crystal!" When my team has the bright idea to go behind enemy lines to try to "flank" the other team only to get killed.

I wish there was a quick chat for "Stick together!"

Yeah, don't try to "flank" at the start of the stadium map. We see you.