Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The internet comments on Aviendha’s casting sure are something.

Can’t believe they’d cast a half-Irish actress for a character from a desert warrior society based on irish ethnicity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Avi looks good and all 3 ladies have distinct features and appearances. I like the casting.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

So I’m on ToM now and Rand has become Zen Rand and lifted Cadsuane’s exile. He asks her to find somebody for him:

“No, the person I want is probably somewhere in the Caralain Grass. I’ll explain more when we are not in the open.”

Who is this?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I, uh.... I'm not trying to be a dick, but you keep asking questions that explicitly get addressed later in the text. Maybe read on and ask if you have questions later?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I, uh.... I'm not trying to be a dick, but you keep asking questions that explicitly get addressed later in the text. Maybe read on and ask if you have questions later?

Ah yeah nevermind it was Tam. He also just outed Weiramon and Anaiyella as darkfriends just by looking at them.

Caf
May 21, 2004

I'm King James! The Lion King!

Hexel posted:

Ah yeah nevermind it was Tam. He also just outed Weiramon and Anaiyella as darkfriends just by looking at them.

It was the king of Arad Doman if I remember correctly. The white tower had abducted him and then gotten stuck during the long winter.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Caf posted:

It was the king of Arad Doman if I remember correctly. The white tower had abducted him and then gotten stuck during the long winter.

Yeah this. Cads brought Tam in as a surprise to Rand, he didn't order it.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Caf posted:

Was he the one where Graendal turned the rest of his family into a dance troupe but left him out since he wasn't hot enough?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Killer robot posted:

Was he the one where Graendal turned the rest of his family into a dance troupe but left him out since he wasn't hot enough?

Yep. Alsalam!

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
What happened to Mattin and Roedran? oh the Ghealdan ruler too. I need to reread again soon

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Barreft posted:

What happened to Mattin and Roedran? oh the Ghealdan ruler too. I need to reread again soon

Mattin and Roedran show up at the signing of the Dragon's Peace and then vanish from the story afterward. After signing the Dragon's Peace Alliandre, the Queen of Ghealdan, leads her forces in the Last Battle and apparently survives.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think the best pipe theory is that at that point Rand has conscious control of the Pattern and will be able to live whatever life he wants.
Quoting some person from reddit as they succinctly summed up my interpretation. Life is a dream from which we all must wake.. and Rand has the powers of a dreamer in the waking world.

"In TAR, as a Dreamer you can do anything you can think of. The more powerful your mind is, the more you can affect reality, to the point where even impossible things can be done. The only limits are the ones you impose upon yourself; there even balefire is 'only a weave' and can be dismissed simply by willing it to disappear.

The Aiel say that living in the real world is a dream, and that when they die, they 'wake' from the dream.

My theory is that when Zen Rand achieved his ultimate state of enlightenment, when he had the chance to crush the Dark One in his hand and destroy him forever - yet did not, that he came to the realization that even the real world is a Dream.

Having come to that conclusion, he no longer needed things like Saidin to manipulate reality, he was beyond that. He became a master of reality like a Dreamer is a master at TAR and he could 'will' anything in or out of existence."

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Democratic Pirate posted:

The internet comments on Aviendha’s casting sure are something.

Can’t believe they’d cast a half-Irish actress for a character from a desert warrior society based on irish ethnicity.
This comment got a lot of upvotes on the wot subreddit. Curious if Goons find this to be a valid criticism?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

th3t00t posted:

This comment got a lot of upvotes on the wot subreddit. Curious if Goons find this to be a valid criticism?

It is a valid criticism overall I think, the showrunners are clearly going for a diverse cast but also aren't actually thinking what roles their nonwhite actors are playing. Is it a reason to say this was a bad pick for Avienda? No. It also doesn't even mean they did a poor job with the Aiel, we've only seen two of them.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

th3t00t posted:

Smells like concern trolling. Cast is predominantly PoC, I would guess for every single white actor you can find two PoC who match the "alignment", so to speak.

Fun aside: I googled aviendha and one of the first results was how amazon was "race swapping" a character against their own policy :rolleyes:

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

th3t00t posted:

If you look hard enough, you'll find a negative characteristics in every character.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
It seems very ex-Mormon to try to cast a ton of PoC and then make most of them villains lol.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

How are u posted:

It seems very ex-Mormon to try to cast a ton of PoC and then make most of them villains lol.

12 on the good side, 6 on the bad side, according to that image which I have no idea of the accuracy

I'm really confused by this conversation, tbh.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ChickenWing posted:

Smells like concern trolling.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Mat was easily the most negative of the Emond Fielders in the first season.

The Aiel are likely to have a mix of actors in terms of race from what we have seen. I don't think this is a valid criticism. The actor playing Padan Fain was a real highlight and people watching should be able to discern actor from character.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I think the adaptation could and should get rid of racial poo poo in randland, insular communities like the aiel, or shara and the seafolk (maybe?) could be done with cultural poo poo. They're already butchering the plot enough we can just see the o.g. aiel as diverse, seafolk the same, and if we do get to the last battle shara will be in baklavas of whatever like lotr

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I hope they cut out the seafolk entirely.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Why do you hate bare breasts?

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

th3t00t posted:

It's possible the first paragraph has a point, but I disagree with the second. There is a chance that they will get lazy and go with the stock stereotypes that you always get when casting any desert culture (incidentally this is the reason that while I would be stoked to see Shohreh Aghdashloo on the show, I very much hope she isn't an Aiel). Now casting a black Irish person isn't that, but there is still room for that. If it happens, I will be bummed for a minute and move on. Ultimately though, it doesn't matter if the point in the paragraph is valid or not, the volume of pushback here is already making my dog go loving nuts.

That said the second paragraph is somewhere between reading way to far into things and sarcastic concern trolling. Tough to say without knowing more about the poster.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

The main issue I have is that Judkins et al have clearly worked hard to produce a show with progressive and modern casting and that should be encouraged rather than nitpicking down to perceived minutiae.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Dysgenesis posted:

The main issue I have is that Judkins et al have clearly worked hard to produce a show with progressive and modern casting and that should be encouraged rather than nitpicking down to perceived minutiae.

i mean, you could just ignore idiots on the internet

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

How is that possible when the internet makes you stupid? There's even a website devoted to the phenomenon.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
The idiots was everything we learned along the way

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Someone literally asked for opinions in this thread.

drat now I've failed to ignore your post.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

rocketrobot posted:

How is that possible when the internet makes you stupid? There's even a website devoted to the phenomenon.
Sorry to self quote so soon; but, I have just discovered that the front page doesn't say that anymore.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

rocketrobot posted:

Sorry to self quote so soon; but, I have just discovered that the front page doesn't say that anymore.

The browser tab still says it at the front page though.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

rocketrobot posted:

We still all know it in our hearts.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Dysgenesis posted:

Someone literally asked for opinions in this thread.

drat now I've failed to ignore your post.

:thejoke:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
There a front page

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Dysgenesis posted:

We still all know it in our hearts.

I still have the license plate frame, showing nearly 20 years of sun-bleaching...

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The sun bleaching is just representing your brain damage from being on the internet for 20 years.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

me included, but this yes

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I adore your avatar

Also it bothers me that fain is in halo but not as fain because I want more fain :(

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Killer robot posted:

The browser tab still says it at the front page though.

Oh thank goodness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I adore your avatar

Also it bothers me that fain is in halo but not as fain because I want more fain :(

Fains actor is incredible. I had to choose between him and Logain