Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

D34THROW posted:

FAA turned it down because it's the aerial saftey equivalent of smashing two steam locomotives into each other head-on.

We as a nation deserve another Crash at Crush. Maybe this time the trains can carry nukes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

this takes key parties to new heights

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

I can't remember - did this guy get talked about in the thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Eh4ttX8rFU

A Youtuber faked engine trouble in order to crash his small plane into a national forest.

Unfortunately for him, he did it in the most hamfisted way possible and ended up getting his license revoked by the FAA and will porbably face crimnal charges.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Weembles posted:

I can't remember - did this guy get talked about in the thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Eh4ttX8rFU

A Youtuber faked engine trouble in order to crash his small plane into a national forest.

Unfortunately for him, he did it in the most hamfisted way possible and ended up getting his license revoked by the FAA and will porbably face crimnal charges.

Good.

I watched the engine trouble video after it came up in some aviation threads, and it's the dumbest thing ever. ":effort: Oh...oh no...my engine's out. Time to barely waggle the stick for five seconds instead of doing any normal engine out procedures. Welp, good thing I have this parachute on, which I definitely have always worn before" *dives out cockpit door, which was unlatched before the engine went out*

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Captain Hygiene posted:

Good.

I watched the engine trouble video after it came up in some aviation threads, and it's the dumbest thing ever. ":effort: Oh...oh no...my engine's out. Time to barely waggle the stick for five seconds instead of doing any normal engine out procedures. Welp, good thing I have this parachute on, which I definitely have always worn before" *dives out cockpit door, which was unlatched before the engine went out*

Also good thing I put this camera on the strut to catch me bailing.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/6lLxGLS.mp4

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Kibayasu posted:

One thing I’ve always wondered, when it’s a building in a city does the demo company have to pay for the dust clean up too? Like, I don’t know, window washing in the surrounding area?

Texas is a right to carry on with controlled demolitions state.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Kibayasu posted:

One thing I’ve always wondered, when it’s a building in a city does the demo company have to pay for the dust clean up too? Like, I don’t know, window washing in the surrounding area?

It depends on legislation, but here that kind of action needs an environmental permit. Neighbours are eligible to be heard in the process. Things can and must be done to reduce air pollution (dust).

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

Good.

if he was gonna halfass it, he should have halfassed it with a copilot and called it a dramatization when it came out his plane didn't crash

if he wasn't gonna halfass it he should have lead up to it with different stunts that established his parachute and strut cameras ahead of time

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

:ohdear: I was worried for the cannabis for a minute there.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/G2bH4rh.mp4

Don't stick yoru hand in that, I guess

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What's the purpose of that? Is that how they had to route torque around corners before bevel gears were invented?

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Only distinction I can see is that a bevel gear would reverse the direction of the second wheel; that thing keeps both wheels rotating in the same direction. Were old belt-driven machines sensitive to the direction of the belts?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

mobby_6kl posted:

https://i.imgur.com/G2bH4rh.mp4

It looks like the cover is missing

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

mobby_6kl posted:

*nods without taking eyes off contraption, unzips*

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Tobermory posted:

Only distinction I can see is that a bevel gear would reverse the direction of the second wheel; that thing keeps both wheels rotating in the same direction. Were old belt-driven machines sensitive to the direction of the belts?

Wouldnt that be solved by extending the shaft and reversing the bevel gear?

Also both bevel and crown gears predate industrialization, but maybe this predates methods to machine them easily/cheaply. A throughhole and polished shaft would then have been much more accessible to your average shop back then than a new bevel gear.

E: yeah the first bevel gear planer was made in 1874.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 25, 2022

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Or run the belt the other way.

Genius.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Wouldnt that be solved by extending the shaft and reversing the bevel gear?

Also both bevel and crown gears predate industrialization, but maybe this predates methods to machine them easily/cheaply. A throughhole and polished shaft would then have been much more accessible to your average shop back then than a new bevel gear.

I can see that. All of those parts are something that you can cast and then work on a lathe and it doesn't require the accurate angle measurements that a gear would.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Tobermory posted:

Not really but they do determine direction of operation. You could pull a belt and give it a half twist to go in reverse. Presumably that would increase wear on the belt?

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Another POV of the stunt. Why yes, I will skydive TOWARDS the out-of-control plane with a spinning prop. There is no way that ends poorly.

https://twitter.com/juanchobarreto4/status/1518635227299655681

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I think I speak for many of us when I say that fascination with heavy machinery knows no gender roles (although I do wonder what the gender breakdown in this thread is). Happily the author of the piece managed to get over himself and there are some very cute pictures of his son on a firetruck and a tractor. https://www.today.com/parents/essay/man-boxes-stereotypes-tractors-rcna25364

Personally, my favorite when I was little was always the cement mixer truck.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Heavy machinery appreciation knows zero gender. Whenever there's a heavy vehicle next to a pre-school you think it's only the boys with the faces smushed against the fences? Absolutely no.

Just last week our little girl made me stop on the way back from school to admire a nearby construction site. Who am I to argue.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
It's not even limited to heavy machinery. I can't tell you how many holes I drilled in wood scraps with this bad boy.

I had my own little workbench with a little vise (which was, admittedly, painted pink) and a little shop apron with a glittery cat on it.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

evil_bunnY posted:

Heavy machinery appreciation knows zero gender. Whenever there's a heavy vehicle next to a pre-school you think it's only the boys with the faces smushed against the fences? Absolutely no.

Just last week our little girl made me stop on the way back from school to admire a nearby construction site. Who am I to argue.

When we were looking at daycares we got a tour of some really fancy place and they were showing us this massive sandbox with all sorts of construction type toys and then the woman stopped because she remembered we had girls and she said "oh we also have a great kitchen set for the girls." Obviously we did not go with them but it's insane that stereotype still exists. Construction equipment rules.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

It's not even limited to heavy machinery. I can't tell you how many holes I drilled in wood scraps with this bad boy.

I had my own little workbench with a little vise (which was, admittedly, painted pink) and a little shop apron with a glittery cat on it.

I got one of these from my grandpa when he built me a workbench for my birthday as a kid and when my dad would give me wood to gently caress up, I'd just play with the drill, turning the crank and I dunno pretending it was some kind of wind-up space gun or something.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Captain Hygiene posted:

Aviation thread found a video of the plane's parachute getting deployed just a little late

https://i.imgur.com/m1SHPvN.mp4

But yeah, it's just stupid to do a stunt like this because, well, *motions at exactly how it turned out*
I've played KSP and this looks hauntingly familiar

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

A huge chunk of near-dead memory just lit up seeing this.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
My son was fascinated with automatic car washes as a kid. He even had a Playmobil car wash set. It was his favorite toy

He grew out of it

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Hell yeah, my dad gave me his that I used to play with when I was a kid. I just took it apart and cleaned and lubed it up the other day.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

My 2-year-old son is obsessed with construction equipment. He sings this song nonstop while playing with his construction trucks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LfqbMojN3c

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I used to love the hell out of Tonka trucks as a kid. I really forgot about it until I was an adult in Germany and saw those giant frigging 1:16 Bruder construction vehicle toys, and I immediately went full little kid.

I didn't buy any (wife was with her, had to tell her why I got so weird for a minute). Which is a good thing, because years later I saw this and I 100% would have tried to make my own Bruderstator.

https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/threads/48-devastator-bruderstator-1-16th-scale.1089465/

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

One of the few times we needed annoying tiktok music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuJDhFRDx9M

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Will Rogers — 'When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.'

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Just realized that not only do they ride and turn on two wheels, it all started with them swerving at the last moment to avoid that oncoming dude. Saved that guy a lot of pain (and maybe his life) and also looked cool.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 26, 2022

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I've never understood why people voluntarily want to live somewhere that happens regularly.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I know, why doesn't everyone live in... Antarctica and the Sahara desert?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

binge crotching posted:

I've never understood why people voluntarily want to live somewhere that happens regularly.

some of most obliviously privileged thoughts still coming out of the grey forums

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

How many places exist on Earth with no dangerous weather at all? Or dangerous wildlife for that matter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
There's actually more than a few, but the idea that people voluntarily choose where on earth they can live is laughable in its privilege.