Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

re outer range: brolins prayer at the dinner table in episode 2 fuckin rocked lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Is the early '00s TV series Ed streaming anywhere? It's nigh impossible to figure out, given the title of the show is so short.

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

Nope but you can find the low quality episodes on youtube

edit: search by ed s0*e*

Baba Oh Really fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 21, 2022

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

The Modern Leper posted:

Watching Johnny Mnemonic (on Netflix) for the first time. What a wild effort to do a straight faced live-action anime.

Wikipedia says they were forced to both hire and create a character for Dolph Lundgren. I've never read the original story, but cutting around his parts I could see how this might have been planned as a smaller genre exercise on... I dunno, the battle between selfishness and self-sacrifice. Like a version of Total Recall where they didn't have the budget for a full "Blue Sky on Mars" adventure and instead doubled down on the narrative themes.

It doesn't take long to read Burning Chrome.

It also shouldn't take away from your enjoyment.

Unfortunately this exists.

https://williamgibson.fandom.com/wiki/New_Rose_Hotel?msclkid=a3fb8f15c11711ec984bd3d28fde4bd3

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Unfortunately? I consider New Rose Hotel is one of the greatest cyberpunk short stories ever, what's unfortunate about that?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Unfortunately? I consider New Rose Hotel is one of the greatest cyberpunk short stories ever, what's unfortunate about that?

I've actually never seen it.

I just know someone who likes Burning Chrome and doesn't like that movie.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Just caught the new Batman as well and liked it quite a bit. Arguably better than the Nolan movies, and certainly better than the Snyder one. I think the trick that made this one work is that it's a crime movie first, and a batman movie second. Riddler is framed like just a regular old (if weird) serial killer that could reasonably end up in any regular crime plot, and the whole thing feels more like a noir detective movie than a superhero movie. Batman himself is portrayed as pretty much just a guy, capable and heroic, but also fallible and a little awkward. It doesn't wank about the myth about the superhuman hero billionaire and his epic nemeses, and is better for it. It was also pretty well paced, didn't feel like it dragged despite being almost three hours long.

Though I gotta say, it sure felt like the whole bomb/shooting spree subplot was somewhat awkwardly tacked on because the writers worried that the Riddler would've appeared too sympathetic otherwise. Which, in fairness, he totally would have. The guy achieved more in a couple of weeks than Batman did in two years.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yeah, is he talking about the story, the movie, or the fan edited wiki, the entry on the wiki...?

Edit: the movie, I just read his reply. Carry on.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Finally getting around to Ted Lasso and while the first season was great I’m finding season 2 incredibly meh.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Finally getting around to Ted Lasso and while the first season was great I’m finding season 2 incredibly meh.

Yeah I only thought season 1 was pretty good, but my partner *loved* it, and even she got bored before we finished season 2

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I was really dreading the Nate twist but I think they made him a good bad guy by the last episode. But yeah the freshness has worn off and the twee gen x thing doesn’t work for me. My waaaaf loving loves it tho and it’s pretty benign

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Ted Lasso is the Louie of the 2020's

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Ugh don’t make me tell my wife Jason sudeikis is a sex pest I don’t wanna know about it

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The only chatter I've heard about him is that some of the metadata on the Olivia Wilde photos that leaked a few months ago points to him being the one that leaked them. The timing during their custody hearings certainly didn't help the look either.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I like Brolin completely trying to ignore his cosmic hole and having no idea what it's deal is in Outer Range despite getting shoved down into an alternate Nazi world by his rambler and then shot in the leg after being told by his alternaye reality wife that he's dead and has to run and diving back into the cosmic hole under insane amounts of gunfire from A Military. He's really not concerned. He's just like 'well that was a thing but I got a ranch to run and a family to help out'
He just approaches his rambler and is like "hey... cut that out"

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 22, 2022

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The Peccadillo posted:

I like Brolin completely trying to ignore his cosmic hole and having no idea what it's deal is in Outer Range despite getting shoved down into an alternate Nazi world by his rambler and then shot in the leg after being told by his alternaye reality wife that he's dead and has to run and diving back into the cosmic hole. He's really not concerned. He's just like 'well that was a thing but I got a ranch to run and a family to help out'

wait outer range is a show about mel's hole?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Man's greatest hole.the self

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

How many people in hollywood have foot things goďdrat

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

I was really dreading the Nate twist but I think they made him a good bad guy by the last episode. But yeah the freshness has worn off and the twee gen x thing doesn’t work for me. My waaaaf loving loves it tho and it’s pretty benign

I honestly hated the Nate thing. It felt so unearned to me. I spent the whole season baffled as to why he was being a giant douchebag and then when he revealed why, I just laughed at what a needy, insecure self important baby he was. I wish the reveal at the end was him working at Arby's. I have no interest in seeing his redemption arc next season because I don't think he deserves it.

He was a good character in season 1 too. I think they just ruined him.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Did not care for The Batman. Mashup of a Se7en style crime suspense with superhero genre sort of landed us with the worst of both worlds. Not very logically consistent and totally lacking the depth of story to justify a 3 hour runtime. Worse than all that, it was mostly pretty boring.

Seriously, how are we supposed to reconcile 20% of all law enforcement in the city being on a gangster's payroll going unseen by Batman despite his doing his crime fighting bit for 2 years? Whole plot felt like a first draft they didn't bother to flesh out or reconcile inconsistencies. Acting was decent, but in service to nothing.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I honestly hated the Nate thing. It felt so unearned to me. I spent the whole season baffled as to why he was being a giant douchebag and then when he revealed why, I just laughed at what a needy, insecure self important baby he was. I wish the reveal at the end was him working at Arby's. I have no interest in seeing his redemption arc next season because I don't think he deserves it.

He was a good character in season 1 too. I think they just ruined him.

I do kinda wonder if his arc is a direct response from the writers to the critics of the show saying theres no conflict etc. mid season was a big fumble on his character, but I think they set him up as a decent foil for season 3. getting there was painful tho

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

The Peccadillo posted:

I like Brolin completely trying to ignore his cosmic hole and having no idea what it's deal is in Outer Range despite getting shoved down into an alternate Nazi world by his rambler and then shot in the leg after being told by his alternaye reality wife that he's dead and has to run and diving back into the cosmic hole under insane amounts of gunfire from A Military. He's really not concerned. He's just like 'well that was a thing but I got a ranch to run and a family to help out'

does one side have the extra cows?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Did not care for The Batman. Mashup of a Se7en style crime suspense with superhero genre sort of landed us with the worst of both worlds. Not very logically consistent and totally lacking the depth of story to justify a 3 hour runtime. Worse than all that, it was mostly pretty boring.

Seriously, how are we supposed to reconcile 20% of all law enforcement in the city being on a gangster's payroll going unseen by Batman despite his doing his crime fighting bit for 2 years? Whole plot felt like a first draft they didn't bother to flesh out or reconcile inconsistencies. Acting was decent, but in service to nothing.

Batman spends all of his time beating up random bad guys, the whole movie showed he didn't know or do anything about the bigger fish or systemic issues of the city including his own family's past.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

We speed-binged through the Nick Lachey reality shows on Netflix, and wow, I'm honestly impressed by how trashy they are. I wouldn't really recommend them to anyone, but if trash TV is your thing you'll probably find them entertaining at least. They are kind of odd in that it's like the producers can't help breaking the 4th wall, Jerry Springer or pro-wrestling style, that this poo poo is fake. But at the same time, most of the cast is desperately trying to pretend things are real, and normal. Add on they overall seem pretty poorly produced and you get some wild trainwrecks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

And I'm your host Nick lachey, obviously. but that goes without saying. Really I don't even know why I'm telling you that because you all remember me from whatever I was medium famous for 20 years ago. You know who I am. Oh yeah and thats my wife stacey, whatever. Wave at the camera stacey.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Man, came across Bill Burr Presents Immoral Compass on the Roku channel and I am DYING laughing. Episodes are less than 10 minutes and are basically two dark comedy sketches with Bill as the Cryptkeeper

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

And I'm your host Nick lachey, obviously. but that goes without saying. Really I don't even know why I'm telling you that because you all remember me from whatever I was medium famous for 20 years ago. You know who I am. Oh yeah and thats my wife stacey, whatever. Wave at the camera stacey.

He's really only famous for being married to Jessica Simpson and they had a reality show people only watched cuz she would say the stupidest poo poo.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
How dare you disrespect 98 degrees like that

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I watched Patton Oswalt's Annihilation special for the first time in a few years and drat that last half with him alternating between talking about his wife dying and him and his daughter dealing with it and doing actual jokes is a ride.

I was tearing up then laughing every couple minutes, it's like emotionally draining but in a good way.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
If we're talking comedy specials, Rothaniel on HBO is really something special. It's more a one man show/"special television event" than a stand up special, but what a journey.

Very similar tonal shifts as Annihilation, if that vibes with you.

EDIT: Kotaro Lives Alone is enjoyable enough, but it swings between painfully adorable and brutally sad in a way that's frankly disorienting.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 24, 2022

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I watched the first 40 minutes of Batman and burst out laughing at 2-3 scenes that were definitely not meant to be funny. The movie was so self serious, it played like parody for me. Like the "vengeance" line lmao how far up your own rear end are you bro. I feel like I should watch the rest just to know, but God I did not like that first half hour at all.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Papercut posted:

I watched the first 40 minutes of Batman and burst out laughing at 2-3 scenes that were definitely not meant to be funny. The movie was so self serious, it played like parody for me. Like the "vengeance" line lmao how far up your own rear end are you bro. I feel like I should watch the rest just to know, but God I did not like that first half hour at all.

yeah it's mid feel free to laugh

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Catwoman makes fun of him for that same line later in the movie. So it's at least a little self aware I guess

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Papercut posted:

If you process the movie as parodying a more serious take of Batman '66, a lot of the choices start to make a whole lot more sense. Penguin is the best thing about the movie though, everything else is whatever imo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

It's not that I necessarily like Netflix's system that much, but it's so much better than HBO's. At least with Netflix I can gently caress around in one of their little categories pretty easily, even if they occasionally insist that I'd like to watch Hush because I liked Bob's Burgers. With HBO it either needs to be on my list, a new series or one of the month's highlights. If not, then congrats, you can just browse through every movie in a broad genre through a laggy app.

i am legitimately certain that these apps are made like that on purpose because the companies have got it into their heads that, somehow, it would be bad for business if people could just easily watch all the poo poo on the app. like, they specifically don't want people watching "old" movies or something?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
They want you to watch what they spent the most money making/acquiring.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

It's constructed to funnel people to new stuff while obfuscating the amount of content actually available

mystes
May 31, 2006

Inspector Hound posted:

It's constructed to funnel people to new stuff while obfuscating the amount of content actually available
Does that actually make sense though?

Like when Netflix switched to mostly original content it made sense to hide the small amount of content, but now they would surely be served better by promoting their back catalog more effectively.

If people cancel their subscriptions because they don't realize there's other content they might be interested in, that's not actually helping.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Too many Netflix originals precipitously canceled with unresolved cliffhangers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

Does that actually make sense though?

Like when Netflix switched to mostly original content it made sense to hide the small amount of content, but now they would surely be served better by promoting their back catalog more effectively.

If people cancel their subscriptions because they don't realize there's other content they might be interested in, that's not actually helping.

Internal politics have something to do with this- sure, in theory the company should only care about getting more subscribers (though in Netflix's case they kinda hit their effective peak in North America a while ago, anyone who was going to be a Netflix customer either is or actively decided not to be), but you're an executive, you greenlighted this series, you want to make sure it's one that's getting lots of views so that your decision to greenlight it is viewed as good and correct. And that other series was the last guy's big thing, you don't care about that, let it rot. And third parties? Those could go away whenever their contract runs out, The Office did, Friends did, etc., you'll give the stuff that's popular a good placement but you're not gonna rely on it.