Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ugh, you made me look up overwatch lore. https://static.playoverwatch.com/media/comics/4/en-us/comic-overwatch-a-better-world.pdf

Her comic has her breaking and entering to dig up dirt on someone.

Really all superheroes are actually criminals if you look too closely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Symmetra commits crimes against the working class

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

she's committed corporate sabotage but is probably legally speaking doing better than most of the cast

morally she's probably in the top 5 most evil characters

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
If Lucio doesn’t like you, you’re out.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Moira did nothing wrong, Overwatch are just short sighted fools

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Moira did nothing wrong, Overwatch are just short sighted fools

:hmmyes:

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

its illegal to be autistic in the overwatch universe

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Overwatch 2: Moira did nothing wrong

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Even though they're both "criminals", there's a pretty big difference between a vigilante like soldier and a "real" criminal like Sombra.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Even though they're both "criminals", there's a pretty big difference between a vigilante like soldier and a "real" criminal like Sombra.

Yeah, Sombra is cool, Soldier 76 is a cop

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Yes, one's punishing actual criminals and the other one is a murderer of poor people.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Never forget the cinematic where Soldier 76 agonizes for like ten seconds over whether saving the life of a child is worth letting some thieves escape

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

sombra comitted the worst crime of all: she helped overthrow american corporations in latino countries. truly, she is worse than hitler.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

the wild creativity necessary to give an African character "spear, but futuristic", where do they come up with these original concepts

the oyo empire, based around modern nigeria, which is where numbani is located, was one of the only african empires to field and use cavalry forces who fought with spears. it seems like a fitting homage in that respect.

but it does not shock me for goon brain to start projecting their own racism because their knowledge of African history begins and ends with a racist term using the word spear

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Yes, one's punishing actual criminals and the other one is a murderer of poor people.

True, but blizzard is clearly coding soldier to be a good guy and Sombra to be a villain which is just enforcing systemic white supremacy.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I feel like Sombra is more coded to be a mischievous troublemaker and not really a villain.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The sombra clip posted before is good and we need more samples of the cast being sociopath mercenaries and terrorists who make jokes about killing each other

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus

Cpt_Obvious posted:

True, but blizzard is clearly coding soldier to be a good guy and Sombra to be a villain which is just enforcing systemic white supremacy.

I don't see how a non-white character being a villain is enforcing white supremacy, sound's like you're making a race issue out of nothing.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
White people be sprinting all the time.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I don’t think Mei is a criminal because she was a scientist in Overwatch and then in Cryo for 10 years? Her lore is pretty thin but I don’t think ‘escaping Antarctica’ is a crime.

I think Mercy is probably also in the clear?

Not at all clear to me that Bastion has the cognitive function to be considered culpable for their actions, may just be a rogue drone.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The problem is that catering to DPS mains inevitably means removing fun parts of being a tank or support because DPS complains if anything that isn't shooting someone in the head is effective and Overwatch is clearly catering to that mindset while also being Overwatch and thus having significantly shittier shooting than any of its direct competitors.

I guess this is what you were also getting at, but to me the problem with how tanking and supporting are implemented is that they generally make the shooting parts of Overwatch into a tedious slugfest. Like, if the clicking heads part of a shooter isn't fun because there are barriers, instant deus ex machina heals, unavoidable CC and other bullshit undoing or preventing all your actions, then there is something terribly wrong with the core gameplay. This isn't just a DPS issue either, almost every hero has a major part of their gameplay bog down to grinding against barriers or something. I guess it's possible to make the argument that grinding against barriers and Mercy/Ana healing is what Overwatch is about, but it seems like majority of the playerbase has long abandoned the game because it turns out people generally prefer clicking heads in an FPS. The game doesn't need to be Quake or CS:GO but it could still try to be something other than whatever this is. From what I hear, OW2 is heading more towards a dynamic headclicky direction but I'll believe it when I see it for myself

ImpAtom posted:

You can make things more combat focused. loving Gundam Evolution has no shields and limited healing and is more fun to play a support role in because at least it allows support skills to be something that feels good instead of ~everything slows~

Yeah I've actually liked playing support in other games like Dirty Bomb and such, because you're actively changing the game state by making plays, killing people and occasionally getting allies back to combat, and you're not just shooting healing darts into Reinhardt's rear end in order to prevent anything from happening. I feel like that's such a simple concept that has completely eluded Blizzard's game design team, that people actually like it when they can actually make things happen instead of keeping things perpetually in status quo.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 23, 2022

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Mei weaponized climate technology to launch ice spikes into peoples' heads and freeze them to death

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Ashcans posted:

I don’t think Mei is a criminal because she was a scientist in Overwatch and then in Cryo for 10 years? Her lore is pretty thin but I don’t think ‘escaping Antarctica’ is a crime.

Not at all clear to me that Bastion has the cognitive function to be considered culpable for their actions, may just be a rogue drone.

Is Overwatch in the clear to reform again? IIRC, the last solid word on it was no, but at lot of plot had happened since then and they have been requested directly for aid on at least one known occasion and they're recognized by the Korean government to the degree that they're lending them a member of their special forces in official capacity. If not though, several otherwise-clean characters (D.va, Pharah, Zarya, Mei, maybe Mercy?) who are part of the new Overwatch are committing at very least conspiracy to commit, vigilantism, and unlawful assembly.

If not them, I think the only characters who are completely clear of legal problems should someone decide to look into it are Zenyatta and, weirdly enough, Hammond/Wrecking Ball. Little dude's just kinda been rolling around the Australian Wasteland looking for adventure after a successful stint as a gladiator in Junkertown. It's probably only a matter of time, considering that what passes for 'legal' in Australia are probably war crimes in the rest of the world, but for now...

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Minorkos posted:

I guess this is what you were also getting at, but to me the problem with how tanking and supporting are implemented is that they generally make the shooting parts of Overwatch into a tedious slugfest. Like, if the clicking heads part of a shooter isn't fun because there are barriers, instant deus ex machina heals, unavoidable CC and other bullshit undoing or preventing all your actions, then there is something terribly wrong with the core gameplay. This isn't just a DPS issue either, almost every hero has a major part of their gameplay bog down to grinding against barriers or something. I guess it's possible to make the argument that grinding against barriers and Mercy/Ana healing is what Overwatch is about, but it seems like majority of the playerbase has long abandoned the game because it turns out people generally prefer clicking heads in an FPS. The game doesn't need to be Quake or CS:GO but it could still try to be something other than whatever this is. From what I hear, OW2 is heading more towards a dynamic headclicky direction but I'll believe it when I see it for myself

Yeah I've actually liked playing support in other games like Dirty Bomb and such, because you're actively changing the game state by making plays, killing people and occasionally getting allies back to combat, and you're not just shooting healing darts into Reinhardt's rear end in order to prevent anything from happening. I feel like that's such a simple concept that has completely eluded Blizzard's game design team, that people actually like it when they can actually make things happen instead of keeping things perpetually in status quo.

It doesn't feel grindy when you are on tank... man they drop fast these days. Fights usually last less than 20 seconds in my games, and I really wouldn't mind if they were longer.

On the topic of healers changing the state of the game, I feel like supports have all of the fun tricks. Anti-nade, lamp, sleep, shield bash, speed boost not to mention ults.

CC, escape abilities, team tactics are fun. OHK, everyone having a machine gun, finicky technicals, and abusing geometry are unfun to me. I applaud overwatch for not letting hitscan characters rule except for a couple widow seasons.

My biggest hope for OW2 is that you can really ruin some days from the tank position, and be a raidboss unless the other team coordinates. I am thinking of those open queue games where everyone on both teams picks DPS or zen so naturally i go Winston.

headcase fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 24, 2022

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

headcase posted:

OHK, everyone having a machine gun, finicky technicals, and abusing geometry are unfun to me. I applaud overwatch for not letting hitscan characters rule except for a couple widow seasons.

I don't really like hitscan either, but it's only really exceptionally annoying in Overwatch because the maps typically require you to stay in the open, many characters have no mobility and some can't even return fire. It's frustrating because you can't do anything against hitscan if your character isn't suited for it. In fact, the winner of like half the matchups in the game is decided beforehand by what classes are involved. Most healers are completely powerless against Winston. Winston gets eaten alive by a Reaper. Reaper can't even damage a Pharah, Genji or Echo. The game is like playing rock paper scissors half the time, which works in more tactical games that have more maneuvering and other options (dota), but it doesn't really work in a shooter. You just kinda have to sit there and accept your death in 1st person.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Mr. Locke posted:

Is Overwatch in the clear to reform again? IIRC, the last solid word on it was no, but at lot of plot had happened since then and they have been requested directly for aid on at least one known occasion and they're recognized by the Korean government to the degree that they're lending them a member of their special forces in official capacity. If not though, several otherwise-clean characters (D.va, Pharah, Zarya, Mei, maybe Mercy?) who are part of the new Overwatch are committing at very least conspiracy to commit, vigilantism, and unlawful assembly.

If not them, I think the only characters who are completely clear of legal problems should someone decide to look into it are Zenyatta and, weirdly enough, Hammond/Wrecking Ball. Little dude's just kinda been rolling around the Australian Wasteland looking for adventure after a successful stint as a gladiator in Junkertown. It's probably only a matter of time, considering that what passes for 'legal' in Australia are probably war crimes in the rest of the world, but for now...

I think the current OW2 story situation is similar to Ghostbusters II. They were officially shut down and their reputation was dragged through the mud, but now the threat is back in a big way, it's pandemonium out there, and the mayor spent an hour last night talking to Gabriel Reyes and he's been dead for six years.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ashcans posted:

Flamethrower use is a war crime and I imagine the same goes for the Freezethrowers.

As for Mercy, I'm pretty sure that messing with dead bodies is also against the law.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Apr 24, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Countblanc posted:

The sombra clip posted before is good and we need more samples of the cast being sociopath mercenaries and terrorists who make jokes about killing each other

Sometimes when you kill Doomfist as Moira she goes "You're an evolutionary dead end." and it's kind of hosed up.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Minera posted:

the oyo empire, based around modern nigeria, which is where numbani is located, was one of the only african empires to field and use cavalry forces who fought with spears. it seems like a fitting homage in that respect.

but it does not shock me for goon brain to start projecting their own racism because their knowledge of African history begins and ends with a racist term using the word spear

this is cool re: cavalry and if the OW2 devs come out and talk about how that inspired the rework then I'll put my hand up and say "my bad" but I don't have all that much faith in their process.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Do orisa's new balls headshot?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://twitter.com/badpachimari/status/1518653825380409345?s=21&t=XstfHOa1GhmreOTfdkMdxg

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I might be misreading their FAQ page but I don't see "guaranteed" on there anywhere, just that you're eligible.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Spector replied and said it should be the 27th. I think they’re gonna be generous with beta keys

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Overwatch 2 might actually be... good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HSvgiKidyo

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Pattonesque posted:

Spector replied and said it should be the 27th. I think they’re gonna be generous with beta keys

they're desperate for users so yeah i'd expect them to be giving them to anyone at all interested

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Wheeee posted:

Unless you're a support, yeah.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Unless you're a support, yeah.

If you're doing a pacifist run, maybe. Lucio looks like a grand time especially.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Arzachel posted:

If you're doing a pacifist run, maybe. Lucio looks like a grand time especially.

Pretty much everyone that played the alpha said that Lucio and Moira were the only viable supports because they had reliable escape options, everyone else just got dived to death.

I want them to go nuts and give Ana wallclimb, give Zen a mini flashbang centred on himself that blinds rather than stuns, and give Mercy Echo's flight power.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Apr 26, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ana really should have wall climb or something that let's her get to high ground.
I understand that they want her to have low mobility, like Zen, but you can still make it like...a slow wall climb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Wheeee posted:

I don't believe what he is saying about the lack of cheese comps and weak heros impact on your "rpg comp".

It's just been so long since we had a major balance patch. It always feels like a wide open world before pros min/max things and trickle down the strats to the middle managers of the metal ranks. There will be a 5 person comp that revolves around 1 or 2 tank styles that everyone needs to learn to play or play against.