Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah Russ mentioned that in his video, some license deal with the chip manufacturer where Anbernic can’t actually release how to work with it for a few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

njsykora posted:

Yeah Russ mentioned that in his video, some license deal with the chip manufacturer where Anbernic can’t actually release how to work with it for a few months.

So this one is going to flop in sales because it can't actually be improved until way after initial interest wanes?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Not really sure what to make of the RG503.

It’s ok I guess? Seems kinda meh though tbh.

I don’t like the look of it that’s for sure.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Not really sure what to make of the RG503.

It’s ok I guess? Seems kinda meh though tbh.

I don’t like the look of it that’s for sure.

Short answer: With some tweaks and additions it could've been great. As is, it's mediocre compared to it's competition.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Russ’s point about the wide screen being wasted as it’s not powerful enough to run consoles with wide screens consistently is a valid one. Seeing the poor PSP performance in particular was disappointing.

I’d be interested to see if they iterate it, as if they put in a faster chip (RK3588 when it’s more available, maybe? Taki has said he expects it to appear in c. $100 SBCs) then it could be really nice. They got the price right, for sure, so a better SoC could make it a great value device. I think everyone’s waiting for the RK3588 at this point though so I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a cost bump from that.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I really wish I would have ordered a Playdate instead of the RG351M. It's very good, but I will be getting a steam deck soonish, and the Playdate is backordered into next year.

If anyone wants to work something out, hit me up! :)

edit: nevermind, should have checked first. I was thinking of trading the rg351m and like $100 for a Playdate. However, those puppies are selling for a lot of money on eBay so yeah, probably isn't going to happen, ha.

Chinook fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 25, 2022

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Taki opening up his video on the 503 "I got blacklisted by anbernic so they don't want me reviewing their stuff anymore....anyway this device loving sucks the dpad grinds and they stacked buttons aren't even"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Still surprisingly happy with my 351P.
Feels like the next big thing needs to consistently replace a Vita without just being a used Vita.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

The MiyooMini I ordered in March showed up today and I have to agree with everyone saying it's really good. The screen is awesome and playing games that just use the face buttons is surprisingly quite comfortable. Unfortunately I can't say the same thing about the shoulder buttons. Tried playing some Mega Man Legends and my hands were confused and in pain enough to make me give up before making it through the tutorial dungeon. Will try again with something that doesn't use shoulder buttons for movement.

Only issues I've encountered since installing OnionOS have been with MAME, there just isn't a whole lot of documentation on what works and what doesn't so it could be user error. DoDonPachi works perfectly and I got Tetris: The Grand Master 2 to boot and play once but now it's just not starting for some reason. Anyone else come across anything like this?

CRAYON fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 26, 2022

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Protip to anyone stumbling in the darkness on the miyoo and OnionOS: if you want, say, Yoshi's Island to run at full speed, only use the New Super Nintendo core to run it. I spent way too long fiddling with everything I could in the normal one trying to figure out why my performance went to poo poo with Onion only to figure out it was the core that was my...core issue.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

After initially wanting a Retroid, but being dismayed at the (at the time) shipping delays, I picked up a 351p on a whim and I loving love the little thing. AmberElec is pretty snappy with the beta builds being surprisingly stable, with some decent performance bumps over the stable release. (Especially psp).
Gameboy Advance looks so good at native resolution on that screen to my eyes, and that's all that matters.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Grabbed an RP2+ as my first foray into this, mainly for loving about when I fly. Though I had a NES and SNES as a kid, the N64/Playstation era were really where I started to get excited about upcoming games (and were what I rented from the video stores in the 90s for weekends in middle school) so the bigger coverage of them vs. what the 351 can do was really appealing.

Don't much like the slider stick on the right but I'll give it a go and if I can't stand it, some madman on reddit modded in a 2nd full stick and since Retroid sell all the parts I feel pretty comfortable doing that myself.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Nam Taf posted:

Grabbed an RP2+ as my first foray into this, mainly for loving about when I fly. Though I had a NES and SNES as a kid, the N64/Playstation era were really where I started to get excited about upcoming games (and were what I rented from the video stores in the 90s for weekends in middle school) so the bigger coverage of them vs. what the 351 can do was really appealing.

Don't much like the slider stick on the right but I'll give it a go and if I can't stand it, some madman on reddit modded in a 2nd full stick and since Retroid sell all the parts I feel pretty comfortable doing that myself.

I mean, show me a game that the RP2+ plays well that needs the second stick. For 90% of what the RP2+ is for they only need the left analog, if even that.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Dang it y’all are making me want an rp2+!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I ain’t touchin poo poo until they release more funtastic clear shells.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Wee Bairns posted:

After initially wanting a Retroid, but being dismayed at the (at the time) shipping delays, I picked up a 351p on a whim and I loving love the little thing. AmberElec is pretty snappy with the beta builds being surprisingly stable, with some decent performance bumps over the stable release. (Especially psp).
Gameboy Advance looks so good at native resolution on that screen to my eyes, and that's all that matters.

Just for clarity they don't really call them beta builds instead it's pre-release, I think they moved to just incremental builds and will only do major roll up revisions every so often

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Rolo posted:

I ain’t touchin poo poo until they release more funtastic clear shells.

or at least release the engineer specs so we can make our own. I'd love a shell with a little more grip contouring.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

beep-beep car is go posted:

I mean, show me a game that the RP2+ plays well that needs the second stick. For 90% of what the RP2+ is for they only need the left analog, if even that.

ape escape

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

remigious posted:

Dang it y’all are making me want an rp2+!

I love mine. The retroid 2 was good but this is even better. I can play crazy taxi on it and it runs perfect.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Any recent reports on order / receipt timelines for the RP2? I noticed their pre-order timelines shifted from 30 days from order to 15 days from order so I'm hoping they're speeding up production?

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth

coconono posted:

or at least release the engineer specs so we can make our own. I'd love a shell with a little more grip contouring.
That, and move the speaker holes so they project downward like the Switch Lite speakers. That would be perfect.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
If I were to maybe want a Miyoo Mini from KeepRetro is the tempered glass protector worth it or should I just skip it?

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Huh, I just got a shipping notification for my RP2+ and I only ordered it a month ago. I was planning to wait at least 3 months so this is a welcome surprise!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

RichterIX posted:

If I were to maybe want a Miyoo Mini from KeepRetro is the tempered glass protector worth it or should I just skip it?

Maybe if you plan on keeping it in your pocket. I bought the card deck holder for it so I don’t feel the need for a screen protector.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I really want a miyoo mini too, but i have a lot of goals for this year which include playing through Earthbound (I'm about 2 hours in), finishing Link's Awakening (4th dungeon), and finally beating Borderlands 2.
My Analogue Pocket is supposed to be here Q4, so I am on the fence about the Miyoo. I was thinking about getting it to leave in the car so when I get stuck at Walgreens in the line for a literal god damned hour I have something I can do if I leave my switch at home or something. How fast does KeepRetro ship?

edit: I had previously purchased the K10 for this purpose but it was super lackluster and doesn't even have a Select button so no games such as zelda or whatnot.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

I wish I could get a different shell and screen for my RP2+, because the screen has streaks on it and the shell gets fingerprints on it the instant you touch it. It ends up looking like an oily mess so I clean it every time I turn it off.

I’d break it trying to replace anything so I just live with it

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Alucard posted:

Any recent reports on order / receipt timelines for the RP2? I noticed their pre-order timelines shifted from 30 days from order to 15 days from order so I'm hoping they're speeding up production?

Original_Z posted:

Huh, I just got a shipping notification for my RP2+ and I only ordered it a month ago. I was planning to wait at least 3 months so this is a welcome surprise!

Yep, watching the Reddit spreadsheet, they seem to have finally gotten their production lines ramped up to where they should be and their backlog is disappearing rapidly. Shipping still sucks though mine shipped on April 11th and is still in transit. Given that it's still a few states away as of this afternoon I'm going to be waiting several more days. :negative:

Edit: I ordered on 1/22/22 btw.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

No shipping on mine yet, but I only ordered about 3 weeks ago.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Is there a Playdate thread?

I got mine yesterday, the hardware is super cool, but the first two games are pretty dang underwhelming. Really hoping next weeks batch has something that’s more my speed.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I was going to make one when mine arrived if nobody else had by that point but I'm in the 3XXXs for orders so I think I'm a week or two away from it shipping yet.

I'm very excited though, I'm trying to avoid spoilers for the games so I can be surprised week to week.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

beep-beep car is go posted:

Yeh probably. PS1 had dual analogue sticks but I may come to find I never use it and won't be bothered by it being a slider. I am told the slider works well for the C buttons on an N64 too so there's that. I guess it was just really the only downside that I could see regarding the device compared with the 351 series so it was comforting to know there was a way to compensate for it if it turned out to be annoying.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Alucard posted:

Of course, the day after I post this I get a shipment notification - ordered in early April, shipped in late April...

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/RetroGameCorps/status/1519092307949019136?t=upR346ZozDm-E3xq1atC_w&s=19

I gave it a shot. Let's see if I get one.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Man I am bummed. I backed the Odin the moment the reviews dropped in the hope I would get it before my big trip in a week and a half...but all the lockdowns and delays really tanked that. Then I bought a 3DS a week ago and it arrived broken. Alas I guess its just a switch trip after all.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Mode 7 posted:

I was going to make one when mine arrived if nobody else had by that point but I'm in the 3XXXs for orders so I think I'm a week or two away from it shipping yet.

Someone on reddit put together a spreadsheet where people are submitting their order numbers and progress along with some stats: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTN01b3n2F7s8eJlF1OSZWwEBEQfABTy3mcWBS7cSs59eQrMmFqG-iRRPjBSOzmUVHro_DiW3msl0sE/pubhtml

3000s are already "Processing" which I assume means shipping in the next few days, my 28XX changed yesterday so I've got hopes of having it next week.

edit: just got the shipping email :toot:

Swilo fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 27, 2022

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Wow I must not have been as fast as I thought. I ordered mine on launchday and got order 23,5XX.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Wow. In for one. Couldn’t get the coupon to work though.

I’ve never been “scammed” on AliExpress as yet but this is weird to me that I just got updated from them
Your order is confirmed
Your order is ready to go
You have a shipping update
Your order is in your country

All within an hour. Unless they somehow ended up dangerously overstocked in us shipping facilities and decided to push them out to make room for something more profitable.

otter fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 27, 2022

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ChiTownEddie posted:

Man I am bummed. I backed the Odin the moment the reviews dropped in the hope I would get it before my big trip in a week and a half...but all the lockdowns and delays really tanked that. Then I bought a 3DS a week ago and it arrived broken. Alas I guess its just a switch trip after all.

You could probably still get an Anbernic handheld in time off Amazon if you don't mind a slight markup, could probably still get a RG350P for only about 70 bucks

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

My order number is 264406? Weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

otter posted:

Wow. In for one. Couldn’t get the coupon to work though.

I’ve never been “scammed” on AliExpress as yet but this is weird to me that I just got updated from them
Your order is confirmed
Your order is ready to go
You have a shipping update
Your order is in your country

All within an hour. Unless they somehow ended up dangerously overstocked in us shipping facilities and decided to push them out to make room for something more profitable.

Just got an email less than an hour ago saying it shipped. This was an impulse purchase and I'm in no rush anyway. How much were these things going for at full price anyway?