Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Use 5 medi-kits.
Machine pistol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

nelson posted:

Use 5 medi-kits.
Machine pistol.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

nelson posted:

Use 5 medi-kits.

Rifle. Don't want to perforate Kate by accident.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

nelson posted:

Use 5 medi-kits.

Runcible Cat posted:

Rifle. Don't want to perforate Kate by accident.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wafflecopper posted:

Use 5 medi-kits.
Machine pistol.

California Countdown posted:

The clansman reaches through one of the shattered door panels and fumbles for the lever that will release the lock. As you bring your gun to bear, the door begins to concertina open.

You bring your G-12 to your shoulder and, as you look along the barrel, you see the clansman pulling himself up the steps that lead into the bus. Without taking a fixed aim you squeeze off a short burst at the doorway, hoping to catch him before he disappears from sight.

We roll: 2 + 7 (Shooting) = 9.

The clansman groans as your snap shot hits him between the shoulder blades. For a moment he shudders, and then he arches his back and falls from the doorway to land in a heap at the bottom of the steps. (Remember to deduct the relevant number of rounds from your Ammo Pouch.)

At once you leap out from behind the garbage cart and run to the bus to check that Kate is all right. Inside you discover both her and your Aunt Betty-Ann sheltering behind the rear seats. They are shaken but appear otherwise unharmed.

You have only just helped them to their feet when Rickenbacker appears at the doorway. ‘C’mon, Cal. We’ve gotta get back to the roadster. Macy reports more Outlaws at the edge of town. We’ve got to lead the convoy outta here.’

Kate and Aunt Betty-Ann say they are all right, and urge you to do as your partner says. The colonists are beginning to return to their vehicles and, as you follow Rickenbacker across the plaza towards your roadster, it worries you to note that several of them are nursing wounds.

Once you are back behind the wheel, you signal to Cutter and the others to follow your lead and then power your car out of Sentinel, along Interstate 8.

Despite the threat of pursuit by the Outlaws, the convoy covers just fourteen miles before it grinds to a halt at the outskirts of a town called Aztec. Two of the seventeen colony vehicles have broken down due to shrapnel damage sustained during the clan attack, and a further three are on the verge of doing likewise. With night closing in, and the road ahead yet to be scouted, the colony can do little more than draw itself up in a tight, protective circle and wait for dawn to arrive. You must now eat a Meal or lose 3 ENDURANCE points.

At first light, you, Rickenbacker, Macy, and Langdon are sent to scout the freeway and search for food and water. Meanwhile, Cutter oversees the repair of the vehicles. He is aided by Avenal and Rex Tyler, who have both been completely exonerated of Mike Gorgas’ murder. Cutter estimates that the repairs will take four hours, giving you enough time to check and search Aztec, Dateland, and Mohawk, the next three towns along Interstate 8.

Aztec has been so badly ravaged by the post-holocaust storms that you decide not to bother searching its ruins, and instead you press on to Dateland. This town has fared little better, although you do chance across a shopping precinct on the east side of the town that looks promising. You decide between you that one team should stay here and search these stores while the other one continues along the freeway and scouts Mohawk, fourteen miles to the west.
Shall we search for supplies or drive on to Mohawk?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

We're the scout, let's scout Mohawk

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Mohawk sounds cool.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Scout nearby

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Wafflecopper posted:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Wafflecopper posted:

I'd vote for looting the mall but we never take anything anyway. Cal's no Lone Wolf.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Scout the mall

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Wafflecopper posted:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

RudeCat posted:

You wave farewell to Macy and Langdon as you accelerate away from Dateland and follow the weathered asphalt of Interstate 8 west towards the town of Mohawk. Nine miles have been clocked on your odometer when a bridge appears in the distance, and you slow down in order to check it on your map.

‘That bridge must cross over the San Cristobal Wash. Perhaps we’ll get lucky and find there’s some water still flowin’ beneath it, eh?’ you say, optimistically.

‘I wouldn’t get your hopes up too high, Cal,’ replies Rickenbacker, squinting against the glare of the sun. ‘A dried-up salt bed is all we’re likely to find.’

As the bridge gradually looms larger, you see something that neither of you expected. A small, makeshift tent, consisting of little more than two groundsheets roped together, has been pitched against the side of the bridge to make a shelter from the sun, and a lean, bearded man is moving about nearby.
Should we stop and observe the man or approach him?

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Observe

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Approach

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

You bring your vehicle to a halt at the side of the freeway and watch the man. He is moving slowly, his head bent, and he appears to be stabbing randomly at the ground with a spear-like stick. So preoccupied is he with whatever it is that he is doing, that he has not noticed you approaching the bridge.

‘He looks harmless. I think we should check him out,’ says Rickenbacker, reaching behind your driving seat for his machine pistol. He cocks the bolt, and then adds: ‘But I think we should take out some insurance.’

You bring your Combat Viewer to bear on the bridge and focus on the thin man. The stick he is holding has a forked cleft at one end, and he appears to be attempting to catch snakes, probably for food. You hand your glasses to Rickenbacker to let him observe the man’s strange behaviour.

‘What do you think?’ you ask.

Rickenbacker shrugs. ‘I can’t see no gun and he looks harmless enough. I say we go ’n’ check him out.’

Slowly you drive towards the bridge, your eyes fixed on the man’s movements. You are little more than thirty yards away when suddenly he sees you coming and dives to the ground. He reappears seconds later, brandishing a rusty shotgun, which he fires once in the air. You can tell by its dull report that there is something wrong with his ammunition. Immediately you stop the roadster and reach instinctively for your gun.

‘Don’t you come any nearer, you drat punks,’ he screams, as he dodges from the cover of one bridge support to the next. ‘I’m warning you. I’ve got an anti-tank rocket, and I’ve mined the road. You come any nearer an’ you’ll be blown to kingdom come. Now turn round an’ get outta here before I get angry.’

There is a long pause, and then Rickenbacker says: ‘He’s bluffing … he’s scared and he’s playin’ for time.’
Do we talk to him or try to sneak up on him?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
”Don’t shoot! We’re the good guys.”

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Sneaking up on the guy with the anti tank rocket sounds like a great idea.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

let's talk to the clearly very stable fellow, I'm sure it'll be enlightening

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Black Robe posted:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

we have stealth and we wish to use it

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Black Robe posted:

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Black Robe posted:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

we have stealth and we wish to use it

You ease yourself out of the driving seat and take cover behind the trunk with Rickenbacker.

‘You go left,’ you whisper, ‘and I’ll go right. Circle him, OK?’

‘OK,’ comes your partner’s terse reply, and then he moves off, using the scrub to cover his approach to the bridge.

You adopt the same tactic and close in on the bridge until you can see the man clearly. He is crouching close to the tent, his thin, bearded face twitching and awash with sweat. Then he catches sight of Rickenbacker and he panics, throwing down his shotgun and taking off across the bridge at a run. You chase after him and bring him down near the middle of the bridge with a tackle that would once have earned you a try-out with the L.A. Raiders. It slams him to the ground and empties the air from his lungs.

‘Don’t … hurt … me … ’ he gasps.

‘I’m not gonna hurt you, bud,’ you reply, and pull him to his feet. As you are bringing him back across the bridge, Rickenbacker approaches from the scrub.

‘OK, wise guy,’ he says, pretending to be angry. ‘Who are you and what are you doin’ here?’

‘My name’s Brent Jaeger,’ he says, and tentatively offers his hand in friendship. Rickenbacker hesitates, and then shakes it, and at once the man seems to relax, as if a weight has been lifted from his shoulders.

‘For a minute there I thought you two were clansmen,’ he says. ‘You can’t be too careful in these parts.’

‘Where you from?’ you ask.

‘I’ve made my way up from Panama, mostly on foot. I’ve got the blisters to prove it, too. I was working on the canal when HAVOC pulled the plug. I was lucky; I found a safe zone in the jungle and waited there for spring to come around again. It’s sure been a long time comin’. Since things have settled I’ve been making my way north. I’m lookin’ to get back home to San Francisco.’

‘You’re lucky you’ve got this far on your own,’ you say.

‘There were three of us when we started out, but the heat and the clans did for my friends and now I’m the only one left. I’m gonna make it, if only for their sakes.’

To avoid the sun, you and Rickenbacker accept Jaeger’s offer to share the shade of his makeshift tent while he continues his story. ‘I heard about the scene in California from some survivalists I stayed with for a while, down in Alamos. Sounds like they’ve gone an’ turned the state into one big fortress. The army’s in charge and they’ve got things locked down tight. They’ve kicked all the troublemakers out into the desert and slammed the door. In the south, I hear they’ve drawn up a new state line, from Pine Valley to Banning. All the old roads in and out are guarded and I hear they’ve got real picky ’bout who they let in.’

He reaches over to a tattered denim jacket lying on the ground, and takes an equally tattered map from an inside pocket. ‘I plan on going in here,’ he says, pointing to a part of the map that is so worn that it has become almost illegible. ‘It’s a place in the mountains, north of Lake Henshaw. I figure that the army can’t have enough men to patrol that area too well. If you two’d take my advice, you’d think ’bout doin’ the same.’

You tell Jaeger how you survived the post-holocaust years. You also tell him that you are acting as scouts for a convoy that is equally determined to reach California, only they are now so short of food and water that, unless fresh supplies are found soon, few of them are likely to survive the 400 miles that separate you from the Pacific.

‘Man, you guys have got problems,’ he says, shaking his head slowly from side to side. ‘And you’re headin’ slap-bang into even more. Ain’t you heard—Yuma is a clan base. And believe me, the guys that are holding that city are heavy-duty bad news. If you’re thinkin’ of crossing the Colorado River there, forget it. You’ll never make it. They’ll blow you off the road.’

Concerned by what Jaeger has said, and anxious that he tell everything he knows about the clan base at Yuma, you ask him to return to the convoy with you. After some thought he decides that at least there is safety in numbers, and agrees to join the colony. When you get back to Dateland, Macy and Langdon are shocked to see three people squeezed into your roadster, but you soon explain Jaeger’s background, and they offer to transport him in their Trans-sol, which at least has the luxury of rear passenger seats. During your absence they have managed to forage some food, which you divide between you before you return to the convoy at Aztec.

On your return to Aztec, you find that Cutter’s crew of mechanics have repaired the damaged vehicles and that the convoy is ready to leave. The appearance of a new face causes a stir, especially when the news breaks that Yuma is a clan base. Jaeger is questioned at length and reveals one piece of information that is of special interest to Pop Ewell. He knows the exact radio frequency used by the Californians at their Pine Valley outpost. Pop tries to make contact with them, but the signal is too weak to make any sense of their reply.

As you are handing over the food that was found during your scouting mission, Cutter voices the colony’s fears about what has become your most pressing problem—water. In the fierce, daytime heat, there are many, especially the children and the wounded, who have already begun to suffer severe dehydration. During your absence, a small group led by Avenal was sent to the Gila River to try to fill the spare water containers. However, they found what little there remained of the river water was so polluted that not even a ten-fold dosage of purification tablets could neutralize all the toxins. One Tucson colonist, crazy with thirst, drank some and died an agonized death.

Cutter and the other convoy leaders are gravely worried. Morale within the colony is at an all-time low, and unless a new water supply is found quickly, discipline is likely to collapse with disastrous consequences. It comes, therefore, as a welcome surprise when Jaeger provides, quite off-handedly, a solution to the problem.

Jaeger is talking to Rickenbacker when he mentions that, only the previous day, he found a fresh-water well in the mountains, approximately fifteen miles southeast of the town of Mohawk. He offers to lead the convoy scouts to it, and assures everyone that the source is pure and uncontaminated. ‘An’ the best part is that the clansmen don’t know about it, either,’ he says, enthusiastically.

The promise of fresh, clean water lifts the convoy’s flagging spirits and renews their hopes of completing the long exodus to California. You set off at once and soon cover the twenty miles of open road that lead to the derelict town of Mohawk. Once there, you and Jaeger are chosen to go and find the well. A dozen empty, five-gallon water containers are loaded onto the back of a pick-up, enough for sixty gallons of water, the minimum the colony will need in order to reach California alive.

The thought of driving a pick-up truck into the mountains without roads or four-wheel drive fills you with dread. But you know that it is the only way you have of transporting such a weighty load. Once preparations are complete, you climb aboard and head out into the desert towards the Mohawk Mountains.

We roll: 3.

The route Jaeger took yesterday, when he hiked from the well in the mountains to Interstate 8, followed the dry watercourse of the San Cristobal Wash. For him it was a difficult trail to follow on foot, and you soon discover that it is even harder to negotiate in a pick-up truck. The broken ground is deeply rutted and littered with boulders, and progress is painfully slow.

Rather than continue in this direction, you decide to try a more indirect route that takes you west, away from the Wash, across an expanse of desert. By chance you happen upon the remains of a dirt road that winds southwards into the mountains. You stay with this track and, although its surface is far from perfect, you make good time.

At length you reach a ridge that overlooks the well. The site itself is located at the bottom of a bowl-shaped gully, shaded from the sun by two of the Mohawk’s highest peaks. A pump house stands beside the bore-hole, to which is affixed a sign that reads:
    Luke Air Force Range
    Garcia Well
    US. Govt. Property—Keep Out!
Carefully you descend, following the dirt road as it zigzags towards the site. You are within a few hundred yards of your destination when you are faced by an unexpected hazard. You take a sharp right bend to find that a section of the road beyond has collapsed. You brake, but the wheels skid on the loose stones and the rear of the truck starts to slide out towards the edge. Frantically you fight to correct the skid as the truck slides nearer and nearer to the edge of the steep ravine.

We roll: 4 + 6 (Driving) + 22 (Endurance) = 32.

Expertly you bring the truck back under control and manage to avoid the damaged section of the road. Jaeger is impressed with the way you handled the situation and tells you so as you bring the truck safely to a halt beside the pump house. Then the two of you leave the cab and begin unloading the containers.

‘I had to draw the water up by hand yesterday,’ says Jaeger, nodding towards the bore-hole, ‘ ’cause I couldn’t get the pump to work. I reckon it’s OK—jus’ needs some gasolene, that’s all. Maybe if we could siphon some fuel from the truck we could get its engine running. It’d save us a whole lotta hard work.’

You search the pick-up and the pump house for some tubing with which to siphon some fuel, but your search proves fruitless. Resignedly you set to work drawing water the hard way, pumping it up from the well by means of a small hand crank. The crank was originally designed for obtaining small samples for scientific analysis, and it takes you nearly two hours of exhausting labour to extract the sixty gallons you require, and then load the heavy containers onto the truck.

Despite several rests and drinks of water, you lose 4 ENDURANCE points owing to fatigue. (If you wish, you may take this opportunity to refill your water canteen.)

Slowly you make the return journey across the mountains and reach Mohawk, and the expectant colony, late in the afternoon. The two of you are welcomed back like conquering heroes, and Jaeger is thanked especially. His help in replenishing the colony’s water supply has undoubtedly saved many lives.

A queue forms to draw water from the pick-up and, as you are first in line, you draw Kate’s ration and deliver it to her in person. She is still recovering aboard the bus, but you are relieved to see that she looks much healthier than when you saw her last during the clan attack at Sentinel. You stay with her and talk about your hopes for the journey ahead, assuring her that soon you will be safely in California and free at last from the perils of the road. (During the time you spend with Kate you must eat a Meal or lose 3 ENDURANCE points).

Sometime later, Cutter enters the bus to tell you that the convoy will be moving out in ten minutes. The colony leaders feel that Mohawk is too vulnerable to a clan night attack and they want to reach Wellton, a town twenty-six miles to the west, and set up camp there. You are not too happy about their decision, but you choose not to argue and, after saying a fond farewell to Kate, you join Rickenbacker, who is waiting for you in the roadster.

You resume your position at the head of the convoy, scouting two miles ahead of the column as it trundles west along Interstate 8. The sun is low on the horizon and the temperature is cooling to a comfortable 70 degrees as you approach the small town of Tacna. You slow down and check for evidence of clan activity but, like all the towns you have passed through since Gila Bend, this one is derelict and deserted.

You continue and, a short while later, you see the outline of Wellton in the distance, its buildings dark against the orange glow of the setting sun. The town looks empty and you approach without slowing. Fatigue, coupled with the ease with which you have passed through the previous towns, has filled you with a false sense of security. Unfortunately, your carelessness is punished when, within seconds of entering the town’s main street, your roadster comes under fire from someone positioned on the roof of a large building to your right.

Bullets ricochet off the hood and strike sparks in a line along the armoured plating that protects your door. Then there is a sharp bang and the steering suddenly feels heavy, warning you at once that one of your front tyres has been shot out.
Did we use zero, one, or two medikit units back in Mohawk? (Each restores 3 Endurance)

Endurance: 18/27
Medi-Kit: 2/12
Water Canteens: 8/8
Stealth: 5/7
Meals: 0

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Full heal!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

With one tyre shot out, you soon find yourself fighting with the steering wheel to keep the roadster progressing in a straight line. You have only just regained control when another burst of gunfire punches a line of frosted holes across your windshield, and a sharp, burning pain lances through your left arm: lose 4 ENDURANCE points.

The sudden pain of your wound makes you slacken your grip on the wheel, and at once the vehicle slews wildly across the main street. Amid a screech of tyres and buckled metal, you glance off an auto wreck and come to an abrupt halt. Bullets whistle all around as you and Rickenbacker tumble out of your seats and seek cover behind the roadster’s armour-plated side.

‘Can you see anything?’ you shout.

‘Yeah,’ replies Rickenbacker, a sweat caused by fear pouring down his face. ‘Across the street. Cinema roof. Two bandits … maybe three. They’ve got assault rifles.’

‘Hell!’ you growl, cursing the lapse of concentration that has landed you in this predicament. ‘Pinned down with a flat … hell!’

You tug the transceiver from your backpack, only to discover that its power-pac has been smashed by a ricochet. (Delete the CB Radio from your Action Chart.) The unit, having stopped a rifle bullet, has probably saved your life, but without a serviceable radio you are now unable to warn the convoy about the ambush.

Rickenbacker glances at the broken transceiver and shakes his head. ‘They’ll be here in less than five minutes,’ he says, cocking his machine pistol. ‘Let’s see what we can do to make their welcome a little more friendly, shall we?’

With that he rises from his knees and empties an entire magazine at the clansmen’s position. While he is firing, you chance a glance over the wing of the Roadster and see an alley lying directly opposite. It runs beside the cinema on which the clansmen are positioned. A black, Perspex awning covers most of its length, hiding it from view of the surrounding rooftops.

When you look back, Rickenbacker is busy reloading. You tap his arm and point to the alley, saying, ‘I’m goin’ t’ try an’ get around the back. Cover me.’

He grunts approvingly. The moment he re-opens fire, you break cover and sprint towards the alley as fast as your legs and your lungs will allow. You are ten yards from its welcoming darkness when bullets start to thud into the ground around your feet.

We roll: 8 + 5 (Stealth) = 13.

You force yourself to ignore the deadly hail of lead churning the ground around your feet, and concentrate all your efforts on reaching the safety of the alleyway. Seconds pass like hours until finally you enter the narrow, tunnel-like passage.

At the far end you discover a battered pick-up truck, daubed with clan emblems and slogans, parked beside a fire-escape ladder that is lowered all the way to the ground.

Do we search the vehicle or climb the ladder?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Check truck for loot

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

achtungnight posted:

Check truck for loot

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

achtungnight posted:

Check truck for loot

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

achtungnight posted:

Check truck for loot

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

achtungnight posted:

Check truck for loot
(And a little sabotage, maybe).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

There is not enough time for you to search the clan truck thoroughly, but you do discover, lying on the dashboard, a Pistol (containing fourteen rounds of 9mm ammunition), a can of beans (enough for one Meal), and a HE Grenade.

If you wish to keep any of these items, remember to adjust your Action Chart accordingly.

Once more the sound of gunfire can be heard coming from the roof of the cinema. Concerned for Rickenbacker’s safety, you leave the truck and start your climb up the fire-escape ladder.
We'll take at least 6 rounds to replace the ones we fired earlier, but do we take anything else? Extra ammo can be stored in our Backpack.

Missile Weapons & Ammo Pouch
  1. Rifle (3/3 7.62mm rounds)
    ↓ -1 Stealth ↓
  2. Machine Pistol (28/34 9mm rounds)
    ↓ -2 Stealth ↓
    Backpack
  1. HE Grenade
  2. Combat Viewer
  3. Binoculars
    ↓ -1 Stealth ↓
  4. Tool Kit
  5. Water Canteen (4/4)