Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I knew it was one of the numbered Sides yeah, though I couldn't recall which off-hand; it's referred to as the Frontier Side in the film itself though, from what I recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

tsob posted:

Where is Side-F? The Frontier Side that F91 takes place in?

I'm pretty sure it's just "actually Fukuoka" even though it doesn't have any space colonies and is on the earth's surface. Sort of like how the Royal Navy would sometimes commission land fortresses as "stone frigates" for legal reasons.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Yeah, I figure it's just a pretty thin justification to pretend it's an actual Nu Gundam.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I'm just waiting to hear about its mysterious ace pilot, a man called "Amuro Ray but wearing sunglasses".

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Amuro Ray-Bans

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Cinquo Peanus

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

i'm not sure why this particular nu gundam variation needed some big canon explanation, should I expect some canon facts about the 7-11 unicorn

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yinlock posted:

i'm not sure why this particular nu gundam variation needed some big canon explanation, should I expect some canon facts about the 7-11 unicorn Linkin Park GP-01

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

i didn't know this existed, and would like to go back to that blissful time

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yinlock posted:

i'm not sure why this particular nu gundam variation needed some big canon explanation, should I expect some canon facts about the 7-11 unicorn

Probably because it's life sized. A massive tourist draw that takes years to make gets more attention than the dozens of quick repaints for convenience stores. It's not even that big an explanation, just a quick "Here's why this is different beyond Japanese building codes).

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Yinlock posted:

Well it is a pretty big cannon, why not?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's the realest nu gundam ever so it deserves special consideration

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

Probably because it's life sized. A massive tourist draw that takes years to make gets more attention than the dozens of quick repaints for convenience stores. It's not even that big an explanation, just a quick "Here's why this is different beyond Japanese building codes).

also by sheer coincidence one big funnel is probably way easier to balance than the actual nu's giant-rear end funnel rack

just seems weird that what is essentially an MSV is getting pushed so hard

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 26, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

In other news

https://twitter.com/zeonicscans/status/1518679490465042434?s=20&t=btHwRznmcitzMTNt_o4F6Q

Garma hosed

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Even if you accept the batshit insane setup where Icelina's kid survived the massive fall and her getting buried in the desert by the white base, Mineva would still be ahead in the order of succession, as would Glemmy. This does not feel like a well thought out plan.

(Although Garma definitely hosed. It's the Tomino UC. Everybody fucks. Even Hayato fucks.)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

:sigh:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Even if you accept the batshit insane setup where Icelina's kid survived the massive fall and her getting buried in the desert by the white base, Mineva would still be ahead in the order of succession, as would Glemmy. This does not feel like a well thought out plan.

(Although Garma definitely hosed. It's the Tomino UC. Everybody fucks. Even Hayato fucks.)

Char absolutely does not gently caress unless he has to

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

char aznable has no time to gently caress. he looks at his watch and says "i could not possibly gently caress at this juncture." as he powerwalks into the zoo

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Char absolutely fucks, Don't make me get the quotes

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chiasaur11 posted:

When does this take place?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Char fucks at three times the normal speed, that's why you never see him doing it.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

The quote is about nanais pussy making chars penis feel good. Asexuals can enjoy sex they just aren't motivated to get it

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

3x the speed

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

"That’s why I absolutely had to give some thought to the state of Nanai’s pussy. Especially while writing the story and drawing the storyboards; “I don’t want her pussy to be all sad and tired out. If it is, Char will seem pathetic for sticking it in her, and she'll seem like a dull woman."

“Many women have heard the Captain whisper Lalah Sune’s name in his sleep."

"That reminds me, In This Corner of the World is pretty popular these days. I think Kouno Fumiyo-sensei draws really sexy girls. Especially their legs. I realized it’s because they have expressive legs. They’re short like hobbits, but they have a strong presence and sense of reality. That’s because of their mannerisms"

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

char has never hosed or betrayed anyone in his entire life

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Suddenly reminded of Frozen Teardrop and the whole insanity of Duo II.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Suddenly reminded of Frozen Teardrop and the whole insanity of Duo II.

I'm trying to remember which pair of characters it was in Frozen Teardrop who have a giant robot fight, pause halfway through for a time out to have a pleasant picnic/tea party together, then get back in their giant robots to continue the fight. I think it was one of Relena's kids?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Honestly, I feel like people are ascribing a little too much intelligence and agency to one of the UC's biggest seemingly-competent fuckups here.

Have you considered that Char doesn't mind having sex, but is just too clueless to know when it's on offer most of the time (and to take up the offer most of the time when he realises it is)?

Like, seriously, I figure that one of the last things that went through his head while Haman was tearing the Hyaku Shiki apart at the end of Zeta was 'oh my god, Reccoa actually wanted to sleep with me, didn't she?'

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Omnicrom posted:

I'm trying to remember which pair of characters it was in Frozen Teardrop who have a giant robot fight, pause halfway through for a time out to have a pleasant picnic/tea party together, then get back in their giant robots to continue the fight. I think it was one of Relena's kids?

Relena doesn't have kids because guess who's also been in suspended animation? I think it's one of Zechs's kids since the daughter is in to Duo II and I think the son has a really weird love triangle with the Trowa look alike and Quatre's lady clone.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Relena doesn't have kids because guess who's also been in suspended animation? I think it's one of Zechs's kids since the daughter is in to Duo II and I think the son has a really weird love triangle with the Trowa look alike and Quatre's lady clone.

Yep, I got it backwards. I forgot whose kids were who, I do primarily remember it as the boy who looks like Relena and a girl who looks like Zechs.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Honestly, I feel like people are ascribing a little too much intelligence and agency to one of the UC's biggest seemingly-competent fuckups here.

Have you considered that Char doesn't mind having sex, but is just too clueless to know when it's on offer most of the time (and to take up the offer most of the time when he realises it is)?

Like, seriously, I figure that one of the last things that went through his head while Haman was tearing the Hyaku Shiki apart at the end of Zeta was 'oh my god, Reccoa actually wanted to sleep with me, didn't she?'

Reccoa and Char banged. Char just didn't understand why that didn't solve all of their relationship issues.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Too late for bazooka chat but that won't stop me because much like a bazooka projectile in Gundam I am slow to arrive.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Because I've been reading too much Harry Potter discourse, I can't help but feel like the sometimes bland and milquetoast nothing you get out of some gundam shows' political messages (PEACE IS GOOD, WAR BAD, ANYTHING TO HAVE PEACE IS GOOD) can feel a bit detached and JK Rowling style "enlightened liberal".

Like, what the hell good is peace and going "War is Bad" when one side is actively like, out to do a genocide. I guess SEED gets around it by having everyone but the Enlightened set of families related by blood and marriage ruling Better!Japan becoming the leaders of the world while everyone else is infected with Racism, but I dunno.

I may be getting burned out on like, the general low effort easy message in mecha general of "PEACE IS GOOD" because there's only so much times you can have someone tell you that "Peace is always good" before you start asking if an unjust peace where people are like, enslaved or suffering, is still worth it.

Fivemarks fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Apr 26, 2022

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
relena's gonna murder you (for pacifism)

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Relena's gonna get her not!Boyfriend to threaten to murder you (for pacifism)

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Eh the core message of Gundam to me is that war is bad but not necessarily taboo. There are things worth fighting for and should be fought for, but when societies go to war they do not go to war over those things. Politicians and the military do not start wars for these things.

But beyond that it's just the state of everything really. Our peace and prosperity weighs on the shoulders of imperialism that inflicts violence and suffering on others. You can't square that away.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Argas posted:

Eh the core message of Gundam to me is that war is bad but not necessarily taboo. There are things worth fighting for and should be fought for, but when societies go to war they do not go to war over those things. Politicians and the military do not start wars for these things.

But beyond that it's just the state of everything really. Our peace and prosperity weighs on the shoulders of imperialism that inflicts violence and suffering on others. You can't square that away.

Except that the original Gundam had the Federation going to war over the very good cause of not letting Gihren dominate humanity, and the military started a civil war in Zeta to stop the Titans.

Gundam generally thinks war sucks, but that doesn't mean it sucks more than a bad peace. More recently, the first season of Iron Blooded Orphans was mostly in favor of the protagonists using force to fight for a free and independent Mars.

Hell, the first Gundam, for all its disdain for the Federation, has even less respect for Side 6's neutrality, and the worst of the Federation in ZZ is trying to just appease rather than fight.

Gundam being "Anti war" in the sense of always preferring peace is generally a misread.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

chiasaur11 posted:

Except that the original Gundam had the Federation going to war over the very good cause of not letting Gihren dominate humanity, and the military started a civil war in Zeta to stop the Titans.

Gundam generally thinks war sucks, but that doesn't mean it sucks more than a bad peace. More recently, the first season of Iron Blooded Orphans was mostly in favor of the protagonists using force to fight for a free and independent Mars.

Hell, the first Gundam, for all its disdain for the Federation, has even less respect for Side 6's neutrality, and the worst of the Federation in ZZ is trying to just appease rather than fight.

Gundam being "Anti war" in the sense of always preferring peace is generally a misread.

Yeah I'm not saying Gundam is one of those "peace is always good" series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The general message of Gundam that I've always seen isn't necessarily 'war is bad', but 'war is bad, but we get it'. There's an understanding of why it happens, both for good and bad reasons.

Something I genuinely loved about 00 (especially the first season) was that a lot of it is about exploring reasons war happens, and what nations actually do if you take that option off the table.