Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Q_res posted:

Any chance that's a Chrysler product? I seem to remember they did that a lot in the 80s and early 90s.

I'm guessing VW? Happened in their mid-00's cars, the glove box looks familiar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

That's a Volkswagen for sure. Some Audis do the same thing. Terrible design from engineers with their heads up their own asses.

Of course I'm being redundant. Already said VAG.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Q_res posted:

Any chance that's a Chrysler product? I seem to remember they did that a lot in the 80s and early 90s.

2009 Volkswagen rabbit, which was the Mexican built golf Canada got.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Darchangel posted:

(1988. All I had was a crap film camera, then scanned years later with a crap scanner at crap resolutions because hard drive space was $$)

Period correct method of archival, as far as I'm concerned. :colbert:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Powershift posted:

does this look infected?

It was a factory option. Braille buttons for vision impaired drivers.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

https://twitter.com/analogmotoring/status/1518630246660071424?s=20&t=bLLMUGzxFeQLbwuNejAJXQ

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Q_res posted:

The Monza offered three different V8s. A 4.3 V8, the 305 (which replaced the 4.3) and for 75 only and only in California you could get a factory 350 (125 rip-roaring horses).

edit: I imagine the plug issue applied equally to the 305 & 350.

Yep. And the 265 (4.3L). All the same basic SBC with varying internal bits and bores.

90s Solo Cup posted:

Period correct method of archival, as far as I'm concerned. :colbert:

I could stand to rescan them, but I’ll bet the actual photos are just that fuzzy. It really was a crap camera - fixed focus 110 as I recall. Things got a lot better when I bought a decent autofocus point and shot 35mm I’m college.
I miss that Monza. It was not, BTW, the V8. It was a 3.2L Buick V6, the smaller bore little brother to the famous 3.8L, but at least had a 4-speed.

Gee, I bet that surely won’t be a problem when BMW stops supporting the app in 10 5 years.
(Z4 Supra, of course)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Primary damage: Vandalism. drat kids and their pranks.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Kids love to emulate the stuff they see in video games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk-g6ax-ByI

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Powershift posted:

Did they cut the majority of the body off of the chassis? Hard to tell, but either way, there's rebuilding that one.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

meatpimp posted:

Did they cut the majority of the body off of the chassis?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5PoFzHE7-c&t=45s

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Powershift posted:

does this look infected?

Phosphate ester based hydraulic fluids will do that in addition to cheap-rear end OEM parts.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

please stop. people are already terrible drivers without you removing section of the steering wheel.

https://twitter.com/Khurtizz/status/1519664916923363329?s=20&t=AwAjwCxZIrV3n2hmSOq4lQ

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Olympic Mathlete posted:

please stop. people are already terrible drivers without you removing section of the steering wheel.

https://twitter.com/Khurtizz/status/1519664916923363329?s=20&t=AwAjwCxZIrV3n2hmSOq4lQ

No c'mon how is this spreading?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The richest man in the world thinks it's cool

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Literally reinventing the wheel.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

^^ Looks like someone was a fan of the 80s.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/33416/the-1986-oldsmobile-incas-had-the-wildest-dashboard-youve-never-seen

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Powershift posted:

"SECONDARY DAMAGE: ALL OVER" had me laughing

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Zeether posted:

"SECONDARY DAMAGE: ALL OVER" had me laughing

And "Stripped / Unable to assist loading"

I looked it up by lot number to get higher-res pics of the lot and... drat, I can't make any more sense of it seeing them.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

meatpimp posted:

And "Stripped / Unable to assist loading"

I looked it up by lot number to get higher-res pics of the lot and... drat, I can't make any more sense of it seeing them.

I zoomed in onto every one looking for an engine, but that seems to be what they were after.

The cops probably broke up a chop shop, but strange they would only want the drive train and wheels, but not seats or brakes.

e: Pedestrian whatnow?

Powershift fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 28, 2022

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Powershift posted:

:stonk:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

It almost looks like it got clotheslined, a'la Looney Toons.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

I'd make a joke about rolling probable cause if not for the fact that some cop is driving this to and from work every day

fullerene
Apr 29, 2022
Took this earlier today while waiting at the lights

Registration deleted for privacy reasons but it I looked it up, it's an 04/21 compliance date

I was chatting with my mates like "I'd love an electric car that was as fast and well-appointed, but I would also like it to have better build quality than a 1996 Hyundai Elantra"

fullerene fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Apr 29, 2022

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Powershift posted:

I zoomed in onto every one looking for an engine, but that seems to be what they were after.

The cops probably broke up a chop shop, but strange they would only want the drive train and wheels, but not seats or brakes.

I'm going to cross post that in the lawyer thread and see what they say.

How can someone be so dumb.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Honestly of all their faults, moisture in a tail lamp is pretty common and normally solves itself through evaporation aided by heat generated by the lamps. Not sure if Tesla are LED in the rear though...

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

No. 6 posted:

Honestly of all their faults, moisture in a tail lamp is pretty common and normally solves itself through evaporation aided by heat generated by the lamps. Not sure if Tesla are LED in the rear though...

honestly it seems pretty common for a lot of vehicles after just a few years

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

No. 6 posted:

Sure looks like it, given what appears to be a dead LED over on the left side of the car as well.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I must have a solid gold Model 3 then. I have had zero problems with it, not even panel gap issues.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Sure looks like it, given what appears to be a dead LED over on the left side of the car as well.

I think that's the turn signal. In the full shot, the lit up segment in the left cluster that's off in the right cluster appears to be amber. I also think that's a non-USDM where separate lamps for braking and turning are required.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I must have a solid gold Model 3 then. I have had zero problems with it, not even panel gap issues.

They're meant to be poorly-built so I think you got a defective one.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Better than having a front suspension break while exiting a LA Freeway. Wheel come off.

(Which is what happened to a fellow game dev person I know).

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Powershift posted:

I guess that's the best selection in the description field they had for "chop shop did what chop shops do."

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I really wish the IIHS or DOT would get in on this and nix it right the gently caress now.

Powershift posted:

honda whisperer posted:

I'm going to cross post that in the lawyer thread and see what they say.

How can someone be so dumb.

It's obviously intended for a brodozer, so just par for the course.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I attended the Pate Swap Meet at the Texas Motor Speedway this past weekend, and saw these idiots:

Here's a highlight of the quality:

All that shiny poo poo, and crusty old brake calipers.
But it gets worse.
See if you can spot the worse on the rear:

Did you see it? Here's another clue:

...yeah, there's no rear brakes. There's bolts plugging the rear brake lines.

Note also in the closeup of the front that they've goner to the trouble of sculpting all four tires, including hollowing out the lugs, presumably for mudding.

edit: Oh, yeah, the truck had 10-lug wheels, so medium-duty wheel adapters.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 2, 2022

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

They look like personal bean-buggies.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Darchangel posted:

Here's a highlight of the quality:

Look at the angle on those front CV joints. :barf:

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

meatpimp posted:

Look at the angle on those front CV joints. :barf:

at that angle, they're gonna constant velocity the bearings 30 feet away

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm the army of keyboard warriors talking about totaling such a rare car not understanding how insurance for collectors items like this works. I'm just glad its being driven and not under a cover in a climate controlled warehouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

um excuse me posted:

I'm the army of keyboard warriors talking about totaling such a rare car not understanding how insurance for collectors items like this works. I'm just glad its being driven and not under a cover in a climate controlled warehouse.

It wasn't insured or registered. And the owner didn't know how to drive a stick.