Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

This is a complete non-answer, c'mon
Yes, but It's also a non-question. Worrying about looking stupid to imaginary onlookers is useless. Worrying about looking stupid to your political opponents is absolutely useless because the debate is so absolutely poisoned that they already think you are stupid just for having a different opinion / believing different sources.

You can't please everyone. You don't even like everyone. Stop trying. Save your effort for people who are worth it. I can pretty much guarantee that the be-rectumed scout master up there will show no such restraint if he decided to turn on you, and has already demonstrated that lack of restraint in trying to pin Boris' rapey urges on Rayner daring to have legs in front of wedded men.

You don't waste your time arguing the merits of a meat-free diet with a wolf. Don't waste your time on decorum and decency with cunts.

E: tldr:

Tarnop posted:

When they go low, we go high is basically "kinder gentler politics" in a slightly different hat, and look where that got us.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Apr 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I don't particularly have a dog in this fight and I don't think Abbot's comment is particularly consequential either way. I'm not sure why you're even replying to me as if I did, it's a bit weird, to be honest.

I was just saying that someone was trying to have a conversation with you and you poo poo yourself instead of replying

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I use rhetorical you way too much, probably not directed personally at you.

Shitposting, I have discovered, is usually the best counter to appeals to decorum, usually exposes its ridiculousness.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
What have you got against divorced geography teachers anyway?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I'd be willing to bet that the angriest replies to Diane Abbott's post are people that have had a lot to say about her appearance in the past.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Casual reminder here that "When they go low, we go high" was the catchphrase of the Democrats in 2016, spoken by Michelle Obama and reiterated by Hilary Clinton. Thank god that committment to raising the tone of the debate successfully persuaded the American electorate not to vote for the ugly fake-tanned piss-soaked toad-knobbed child-molesting slovenly evil rapist *ahem* :decorum: Republican Candidate.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Reveilled posted:

Casual reminder here that "When they go low, we go high" was the catchphrase of the Democrats in 2016, spoken by Michelle Obama and reiterated by Hilary Clinton. Thank god that committment to raising the tone of the debate successfully persuaded the American electorate not to vote for the ugly fake-tanned piss-soaked toad-knobbed child-molesting slovenly evil rapist *ahem* :decorum: Republican Candidate.
the alt right playbook did a video on how effective it was during Obama's tenure as well.

What Dianne said is fine imo, yeah we shouldn't generally mock people for their looks (like for all I know half of you guys have all got chanuses & all & I wouldn't want any of you to feel bad about it), but (a)she didn't actually say anything mocking, just left the reader to make up their own mind, & (b) she's not the one saying it is okay to judge people on their looks, the dude made his bed

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Borrovan posted:

the alt right playbook did a video on how effective it was during Obama's tenure as well.

What Dianne said is fine imo, yeah we shouldn't generally mock people for their looks (like for all I know half of you guys have all got chanuses & all & I wouldn't want any of you to feel bad about it), but (a)she didn't actually say anything mocking, just left the reader to make up their own mind, & (b) she's not the one saying it is okay to judge people on their looks, the dude made his bed

If she didn't want to bring his appearance into the equation she wouldn't have attached a pic of him. The mocking is on the border of implicit/explicit imo.
I don't mind it either tbh, as you say he made his bed he can eat poo poo for it on that front.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
When they go low, we go high, which is how they manage to execute a perfect rugby tackle and smash our faces into the concrete every single time

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

A kinder, gentler beating from the right.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
They go low we go high is a good strategy if you're an attractive and charismatic politician, with an inspiring message and energetic campaign. Someone like Barack Obama in 2008.

Labour have none of these virtues amongst the leadership. So they should focus on calling Boris a lying fatty, and the rest of the tories a bunch of weird nonces. Voters will agree.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

So I was watching the senedd live stream, and the minister gave the numbers to call for Ukraine visa issues, so I phoned them, and...
Jesus christ the poor lady on the other end was just on the verge of tears. They have no systems available to them, they've all been turned off so the people can process visas instead of. .I don;t know, making an internal computer system show whether the checkbox has been checked or not. They could do absolutely nothing to help, and they knew it...
:smith:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

Labour have none of these virtues amongst the leadership. So they should focus on calling Boris a lying fatty, and the rest of the tories a bunch of weird nonces. Voters will agree.

By agree you mean they'll say "hey those guys are just like me!" CON+20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The guy's unfortunate chin aside, the main thing that put me off was that the photo really looks like it should have "i can be your angle, or yuor devil" written under it. Why would you volunteer for a photo pulling a face like pouty alex delarge lmao.

Big "mum no I want to look hard for my photo I can't smile" energy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Glen Owen wants to be hardcore but his mama won't let him.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Boris Johnson: "the Passport Office is poo poo and if they don't get their act together I'm going to privatise them."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61233206

Which is an interesting take considering that the Passport Office is run by the government, said government currently helmed by, er, Boris Johnson. If it's not working, maybe it's because of underfunding? Or incompetent management by the head of the department that runs it, one [checks notes] Priti Patel.

Huh, maybe they want to outsource it to Rwanda.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
This seems like confused messaging. I think the government would love to move on from partygate and has been attempting to use every "real issue" going to do just that?

https://twitter.com/ITVNewsPolitics/status/1518948829583839232?s=20

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

peanut- posted:

This seems like confused messaging. I think the government would love to move on from partygate and has been attempting to use every "real issue" going to do just that?

https://twitter.com/ITVNewsPolitics/status/1518948829583839232?s=20

Yeah that's just a straight up Tory talking point slightly repackaged.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Payndz posted:

Which is an interesting take considering that the Passport Office is run by the government, said government currently helmed by, er, Boris Johnson. If it's not working, maybe it's because of underfunding? Or incompetent management by the head of the department that runs it, one [checks notes] Priti Patel.
Boris has managed to pull a Farage and convince everyone that he is somehow seperate from the institution he is absolutely embedded in and in charge of.

In the same way Farage convinced the country that the state of fishing was the fault of do-nothing eurocrats (while missing over 50% of the fishery committees he was supposed to attend that could have fixed it), Boris has convinced the country that the government shouldn't and cannot do anything for them, despite being at the head of it.

It's weird. See also Gove telling the country everyone has had enough of experts while also telling everyone to shut up because he's an expert.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's weird. See also Gove telling the country everyone has had enough of experts while also telling everyone to shut up because he's an expert.

The full quote is even better:
“I think the people of this country have had enough of experts with organisations with acronyms saying that they know what is best and getting it consistently wrong.”
- The Rt Hon Michael Gove MP MA Oxon

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Apparently he said sell the arse out of it?

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Fudge sale on!

As spring edges its way towards the summer months, I find myself with stock that I need to clear! I have several flavours that have a short expiry date (end of April)- while they're still perfectly sound, I'd like to get them out of my storage as soon as possible! I'm also doing a clearance on my easter flavours- all short expiry and seasonal fudges have been marked down by £1.50, making them cost only £2+P&P per bar! Fill your boots, because when they're gone they're gone!

Current Flavours

Unicorn Barf *
Gilded Rose *
Eggstremely Naughty *
Most Eggscellent *
Original Vanilla
Oh Baby!
Raspberry
Maple and Pecan
Chocolate Orange
Key Lime Pie
Chocolate Chip Cookie Crunch
Rainbow Crunch

All flavours marked * are available at the reduced rate at https://www.fudjit.co.uk. All non-discounted fudge costs £3.50+P&P.

Get (cheaply!) fudged!

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
Nice! Also, you buggers are quick, the Most Eggselent is already gone!

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Oliver Eagleton's book The Starmer Project is brilliant. Highly recommended.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Prole posted:

Does it get to the bottom of whether Starmer was manmade ?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Boris has managed to pull a Farage and convince everyone that he is somehow seperate from the institution he is absolutely embedded in and in charge of.

In the same way Farage convinced the country that the state of fishing was the fault of do-nothing eurocrats (while missing over 50% of the fishery committees he was supposed to attend that could have fixed it), Boris has convinced the country that the government shouldn't and cannot do anything for them, despite being at the head of it.

Excuse me, but Farage did not miss over 50% of meetings of the EU Fisheries Committee. He missed over 90% of them. His attendance record was three out of 42 meetings, and as I recall he didn't participate beyond his attendance in those. Nor, to be fair, is this actually something he did wrong - as a member of a Eurosceptic group that didn't want the UK to participate in such political projects it was perfectly valid for him to do so as it was the grounds on which he'd been elected. His cuntery derives solely from having the gall to then complain about us lacking a say. And even then, Farage is still better than Johnson, because Johnson was elected on the basis of taking the responsibility that he has now abdicated.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I just mean that Farage, an MEP millionaire and multiple times attempted MP and political insider, has managed to convince the public that politicial elites are the problem and also somehow seperate himself from that category.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/bbcnews/status/1519068015895191552

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

There is no authority in this country higher than the press and don't you forget it.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/petergarbacz/status/1518979920722026498

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Prole posted:

It also confirms my long-held suspicion that Big John McDonnell is a gigantic loving coward.

quote:

At this point, said Murphy, ‘Jeremy was deeply uncomfortable with the Remain position he’d been pushed into’. While Starmer was the prime mover of this policy, an equally consequential figure–without whom the leader would not have flipped–was McDonnell. The shadow chancellor was a stalwart of the British Left whom Corbyn had every reason to trust. In the 1980s, as chair of finance for the Greater London Council, he had overseen creative exercises in ‘people’s planning’, funding workers’ co-ops and cultural centres to the annoyance of the Thatcher government. Along with Corbyn, he opposed the War on Terror and the British occupation of Northern Ireland. He was active in the People’s Assembly Against Austerity and worked to build links between fighting unions and the Labour Left. As shadow chancellor he developed the most transformative economic programme in the party’s history, while fostering a new generation of left intellectuals associated with think tanks such as the New Economics Foundation and the Centre for Labour and Social Studies, as well as younger economists at the Institute for Public Policy Research. He is a peerless communicator and media performer: measured, cool-headed, with an aptitude for explaining radical policy in accessible terms.

Yet for all McDonnell’s strengths, nobody was more susceptible to the scare-mongering of the whip’s office. That was largely because, since December 2018, Westminster had been thrumming with talk of a new centrist party. Two of Blair’s former staffers, Jonathan Powell and Philip Collins, had been meeting with potential supporters of a pro-EU breakaway project, which seemed more likely by the day. 77 Having uncritically absorbed the whips’ warning of a major rift, McDonnell feared that between seventy and eighty MPs were about to jump ship to this new formation. In his view, an iron-clad commitment to a second referendum was the only way to prevent this wave of defections. He therefore ‘took it upon himself to become the special envoy to the Labour Right’, in the words of a LOTO source. He met regularly with Alastair Campbell–going so far as to invite him to the leader’s office without consulting Corbyn or his staff. He assured the People’s Vote campaign that he would bring Labour round to their position. Similar promises were made to another pro-EU network, established after the 2018 conference, which called itself the Bruges Group (riffing on the Brexiteer think tank of the same name). This consisted of Cortes, Parker, Chessum, Todd and the journalist Paul Mason. McDonnell told them he would get rid of the staffers in Corbyn’s inner circle who were impeding the turn towards Remain. By early 2019 he had begun a briefing campaign against Milne and Murphy in particular. McDonnell also brought in a raft of new centrist aides. The former head of the civil service, Bob Kerslake, was hired to depose Murphy, while the Whitehall staffer Helene Reardon-Bond was asked to step in as her replacement. McDonnell urged the removal of Jon Trickett from the strategy group and tried to break Corbyn’s resistance throughout 2019, cornering the leader in his office for hours at a time and ambushing him at his allotment at the weekend. When he couldn’t get agreement out of Corbyn, he would bypass him and issue unilateral instructions to LOTO staff, creating an atmosphere of division and disorientation. Starmer, for his part, held open sessions in his office to reassure MPs about the party’s Brexit policy after rumours of a split began to surface. This impressed McDonnell, who in turn vowed to support Sir Keir’s strategy of parliamentary obstruction.

The shadow chancellor’s willingness to divide the Left, demoralize the leadership and empower the ghosts of New Labour was baffling to many. Those who witnessed it first-hand offer a twofold explanation. First, McDonnell suffered from hubris. ‘John has smartest guy in the room syndrome’, was how one party official put it. He was convinced that his strategic nous was superior to Corbyn’s. But once the pair began to clash–with McDonnell advocating greater compromise with the Right on a number of key issues–he found his influence diminished. By pandering to the PV campaign, he clawed back some of the authority he believed was rightfully his. Far from holding his nose in meetings with Campbell, by all accounts McDonnell enjoyed the illusion that he was becoming the most powerful man in the party by cosying up to its Blairite flank. ‘He loves playing the role of leader,’ said a source who has worked closely with him. ‘Being Remainer-in-chief allowed him to do just that.’

Second, and more importantly, McDonnell is famously unreliable at times of crisis. Despite his composure in front of news cameras, he has a reputation for making knee-jerk decisions without thinking through their consequences. A prominent figure in the British labour movement remarked, ‘Whenever he’s presented with a difficult decision, he panics, chooses the first option that occurs to him, and then sticks with it no matter what. He is the worst strategist I have ever seen.’ Another source who has known McDonnell for much of his political career said, ‘He has a tendency to panic. Anyone who has worked with John, and who knows what strategy is, knows that he is not a strategist.’ So when McDonnell was courted by the PV campaigners and informed that mass defections were imminent, his vanity and his anxiety were activated at the same stroke. He chose the easiest course of action–to give the Blairites what they wanted–and stuck with it regardless of the implications. Slowly and painfully, he managed to bring Corbyn with him on this journey towards the centre.

Yet, in the end, the great split anticipated by McDonnell was illusory. Only eleven MPs, eight of them from Labour, joined the Umunna–Soubry contraption. The policies of the new centrist party–a second referendum plus more austerity and privatization–were strikingly unpopular. Their media appearances were disastrous. Their internal culture was dysfunctional. In April 2019, after two months of glowing coverage from all the major outlets, a Survation poll put their support at 1 per cent. 78 By June that had dropped to 0 per cent, where it stayed until the next election. There is no reason to believe that Change UK would have fared any better had Labour retained a more principled Brexit policy. ‘After all,’ explained a LOTO strategist, ‘this isn’t the 1980s. There is no constituency for the Labour Right any more. It was always blindingly obvious that this was a Westminster confection.’ Yet, unable to recognize this fact, McDonnell continued to agitate for a second referendum even after the defeat of Kyle–Wilson. Rather than unite with Corbyn against the Right of the PLP, he joined with Starmer in dedicating most of his energy to undermining an already embattled LOTO.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

The Partridge at the end is :discourse:

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Big brain time.

quote:

In Tuesday’s brainstorming cabinet, Grant Shapps, the transport secretary, had suggested making MOTs on vehicles once every two years, saving about £40, while Boris Johnson backed proposals to let nursery staff look after more toddlers each to help bring down childcare costs. Other suggestions included cutting green levies on energy bills in spite of the UK’s net zero target, while Kit Malthouse, the policing minister, pushed for more tax cuts, backed by Jacob Rees-Mogg.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

domhal posted:

Big brain time.

loving hell

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

Noel's HQ is back baby

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Just so I'm clear - Morgan got cancelled by getting into an argument with the weather man, storming off set and then quitting his job. Right? He wasn't pushed out or anything?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

domhal posted:

Big brain time.

Government to save millions by eliminating background checks for childcare workers :thumbsup:

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Mister Morgan says that he was told he had to apologise on air for the MM stuff, so he walked out. Closer to cancellation than most claims but still nothing of the sort .

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Cancelled simply for saying what we're all thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1519250989194387457