Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Do you ever think "What is Chris Roberts doing and thinking, right now as this second?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
While I'm sure the "Monocle Cat is actually a single person" is actually just a thread in-joke, remember they're playing the real game of Star Citizen: :justpost: theorycrafting :justpost: around "the most open development ever", like it's some massive mystery ARG, or :lost:. Lots of begging the question.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

jarlywarly posted:

Do you ever think "What is Chris Roberts doing and thinking, right now as this second?"

Doing vitamins, thinking, "I need more vitamins".

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

jarlywarly posted:

Thinking to himself "Derek Smart was right."

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

JugbandDude posted:

Mine is 6 years old now, and still no game.

Kind of harsh expecting a game from your six year old.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Only Kindness posted:

While I'm sure the "Monocle Cat is actually a single person" is actually just a thread in-joke, remember they're playing the real game of Star Citizen: :justpost: theorycrafting :justpost: around "the most open development ever", like it's some massive mystery ARG, or :lost:. Lots of begging the question.

Well uh.
Monocle Cat is actually a specific poster on SC forums. Mirficus just doesn't name for reasons, but every time you see that avatar, it is all one and the same person.
Some other quoted posts are also recognizable from the way they write. But we don't name them.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Popete posted:

I love how everyone has figured out the roadmap is completely pointless as it doesn't actually tell you when anything will be done only that some people are working on something with a very vague description and yet white knights keep pointing to it as if it holds value.

Also tons of items on the roadmap never get updated and are a year+ out of date.

The no-new-roadmaps-but-roadmaps event, which was the last major community event i was personally present for, was a fantastic case study in the weird ecology of ... something. I don't know if I have the vocabulary to describe it.

The ecology of fanbase cope?

The roadmaps were always unhelpful — they just indicated there were some things that were going to be done, but never offered any accurate scheduling. They just claimed dates, then missed them. Again and again.

So they dropped the roadmaps. And people were mad, so the fanbase assembled to fervently state that if you're mad a useless roadmap was being dropped, you're the actual problem, and how dare you. Also there's going to be roadmaps of a different kind with a better scope, so why would you even care about the old roadmaps anyway?

Then the new roadmaps began to fall behind in scope too, and

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

jarlywarly posted:

:Homer Simpson cartoons dancing in brain gif:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Kavros posted:

I don't know if I have the vocabulary to describe it.

This has always applied to SC, but I've noticed in the last couple of years it has also applied to NFTs when it comes to being The Internet Guy in my family circle. I'm convinced that the big reason proponents of these scams can foist them upon the unsuspecting is that the opposite stance seems so nonsensical that it's hard to believe. There has to be more to it because surely no one would get duped that hard and that transparently.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AppropriateHotChameleon-mobile.mp4

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

The power of google tells me that the creature on the right is likely to be a serval. It is being extremely nice to that domestic kitty.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

We stopped naming people because it was to close to poop touching.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Who does that to a cat's tail?! :stonk: :argh:

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Yah, I know Feline With Optic Device isn't the actual poster's fakename, and neither should it be: what I was gingerly groping my way towards, was that I had really hoped it was just a generic Mirificusbot alias for bunch of Spectrum? Reddit? posters, because if it is a single person, that person is deranged. I mean these are aliens-killed-JFK the-CIA-is-talking-to-me-via-my-fillings levels of crazypants. He's all but looking at flight records to determine where the CInG weenies are at any old time.

My heart does hurt, a bit, for these poor saps. A BIT.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

jarlywarly posted:

I do not, but if I had to guess I'd say it is literally nothing at all to do with star citizen.

I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't an aide that occasionally pesters the Roberts to post something about star citizen every month or so. That's probably the only effort they sink into the project at this point. Maybe being reminded to show up for a lunch or some stakeholder meeting- of which I'm sure they only attend ones that are on boring days for them when they have the need to feel important to other people.

It's just free money for them to go live out their wildest dreams with, be it making movies, drugs, vacations... whatever they want to do today!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Only Kindness posted:

Honestly their posts about star citizen are at least some of the more benign and less offensive posts they seem to make. I'm glad he has an additional outlet for his wild creative mind.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Kavros posted:

The no-new-roadmaps-but-roadmaps event, which was the last major community event i was personally present for, was a fantastic case study in the weird ecology of ... something. I don't know if I have the vocabulary to describe it.

The ecology of fanbase cope?

The roadmaps were always unhelpful — they just indicated there were some things that were going to be done, but never offered any accurate scheduling. They just claimed dates, then missed them. Again and again.

So they dropped the roadmaps. And people were mad, so the fanbase assembled to fervently state that if you're mad a useless roadmap was being dropped, you're the actual problem, and how dare you. Also there's going to be roadmaps of a different kind with a better scope, so why would you even care about the old roadmaps anyway?

My opinion is that it's two critical things:

1: Bad management.

2: The staff are working on other projects in secret.

Number 2 is the worst option, but I feel like it's probably the most likely at this point. You've probably got unknown people working on stuff like film editing, movie props for film projects, etc etc.

It's probably all under the guise of one of a million unknown companies CI owns but the hole is so deep you'll never figure it out. It probably has no association to the usual people either.

Sandis movie is done, and if you think CI didn't do significant editing or whatever else they do for a film, you're probably way off base. All that stuff takes lots of people, something CI has a lot of.

At this point, all star citizen is is a fountain of money for other projects to get funded from.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Sandi? Sandi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sth_Rfygkbc

Dont mind the numerous retcons please. She is the best.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Kavros posted:

Been thinkin' about them roadmaps.

CInG ha[s|d] roadmaps because roadmaps are what games made by actual game companies have (remember they're cargo-culting this, because of incompetence).

Mega-successful games like Evolve and Anthem, for instance.

One other example is Marble's Adventures, which obviously had a roadmap, and trumpeted it for a long while, until naturally it started going out of control, and now...

Marvel's Avengers Dev Denies The Existence Of A Long-Term Roadmap

and thus...

The Roadmap For Marvel's Avengers Has Been Cancelled, And Fans Aren't Happy

One weird thing about the semantics of rOaDmApS is... they don't tell you what to do when your car explodes in your driveway.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

MedicineHut posted:

Sandi? Sandi.

I don't feel like trying to read through the CC but I hope there are some good bits. Glad to see the channel is wholly dedicated to star citizen as well. I liked the video "time to make friends... or buy them" caption. Did not watch but it seems like this is dedicated to the high-end whale with a lot of money in the project.

Good luck! I hope she talks about being a marine biologist because that's all part of the origin story. Also how she wasn't married to CR and was only Sandi Gardiner (or whatever) until Derek threatened to post their literal marriage certificate... and then suddenly they were always married.

The origin of the game is where the lies all begin. I hope it is good and covers many of them. :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Oh, they also need to talk about how it was a bonus that CR didn't know about technology because that meant he didn't know what limitations were, and was going to just bust through them sheerly via his ignorance of what was and was not possible.

This is crucial because it was part of the foundation of "server meshing" and how CR wasn't going to be stopped by other people's failures and was just going to blow past them because they were afraid to try.

Maybe Mirificus can dig up that particular quote or section... it's pretty old. It was around the time he was doing TV commercials for internet/networking or something.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

MedicineHut posted:

Sandi? Sandi.

I am mildly curious (mainly to see how much stuff was omitted or fabricated), but not enough to watch it.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Only Kindness posted:

Yah, I know Feline With Optic Device isn't the actual poster's fakename, and neither should it be: what I was gingerly groping my way towards, was that I had really hoped it was just a generic Mirificusbot alias for bunch of Spectrum? Reddit? posters, because if it is a single person, that person is deranged. I mean these are aliens-killed-JFK the-CIA-is-talking-to-me-via-my-fillings levels of crazypants. He's all but looking at flight records to determine where the CInG weenies are at any old time.

My heart does hurt, a bit, for these poor saps. A BIT.

Now, get ready for this: Some of the crazy people that the Mirificus bot posts about have more than one active account and they reply to themselves all the time. Especially on reddit. I have 3 (pretty much inactive, things are boring) SC accounts so I would know.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dwesa posted:

I am mildly curious (mainly to see how much stuff was omitted or fabricated), but not enough to watch it.

I only watch videos by GioGetMoney. Only the best for me thankyouverymuch

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:
Reminder that monocle cat made a video of Skyrim characters in skimpy outfits dancing to J-Pop

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.

.random
May 7, 2007

Mr Fronts posted:

The power of google tells me that the creature on the right is likely to be a serval. It is being extremely nice to that domestic kitty.

Wikipedia says, “On occasions where two adult servals meet in conflict over territory, a ritualistic display may ensue, in which one will place a paw on the other’s chest while observing their rival closely; this interaction rarely escalates into a fight.”

Cool.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

MedicineHut posted:

Sandi? Sandi.

Lies right off the bat. Goddamn lies after goddamn lies. Christ.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

So what you're saying is she's not talking about her degree in marketing from UCLA or something, and how she had a bunch of girls come into her marketing class and put on a fashion show for them by jumping up on the desks?

Aww. :(

Does she at least talk about how being a shoe designer with a factory or something making her shoes has prepared her to be the marketing VP for a video space game???

Surely she at least talked about how she played Doom 24/7 in college, too?

I hope al these things are addressed for the proper annals of history. :)

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

MedicineHut posted:

Sandi? Sandi.

Love how they need to instantly prop her up. The "Queen of Star Citizen".

That really says it all about the company and the community.

There is a word for it... pretty sure it starts with a C.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Oh I love this game!

Can you eat suck it???

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 26, 2022

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

TheAgent posted:

I particularly enjoyed the retcon of the development start date. Apparently 2015 no less according to her.

These presentation at the Bafta awards in Jan 2015, and all the previous development work leading to it, never happened oc:

Then the awkward silence when the guy on the left says that SQ42 must be about to drop, expecting Sandi to nod or confirm. Cringe even. Also the non committal answer to the question about who came up with the idea of selling ship jpgs, rofl. She could not say it was her because that is too obvious a lie for CIG peers, but she won´t admit it was Ben either.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 26, 2022

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Mellow_ posted:

Love how they need to instantly prop her up. The "Queen of Star Citizen".

That really says it all about the company and the community.

There is a word for it... pretty sure it starts with a C.

redacted

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 26, 2022

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Uh lets not

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
"Marketing is... well, marketing"

"You like... connect to people"

Such exquisite insight

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I'm not gonna watch it but do they ever ask her what she actually does these days?

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

trucutru posted:

Now, get ready for this: Some of the crazy people that the Mirificus bot posts about have more than one active account and they reply to themselves all the time. Especially on reddit. I have 3 (pretty much inactive, things are boring) SC accounts so I would know.

:negative:

Absolute desolation. There is always more and it is always worse. That's our Star Citizen!

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Hey! A Sandiworm ate my land claim!

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

The marketing candidates they interviewed were not shaved good enough, so she stuck around collecting that sweet paycheck.

I also loved that the guy was like "you also lost Ben"... but it's kinda hard to loose him. That sofa, on the other hand, was most likely lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Popete posted:

I'm not gonna watch it but do they ever ask her what she actually does these days?

Nah, the closest is in the beginning when they ask what her title is: queen of Star Citizen? mother of Star Citizen?

Like most of the interview, she dodges the question.