Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Tsaedje posted:

Well if enough of his constituents are annoyed that he's away half the year, and actually turn out to vote in local elections. But piss tories normally get by on total anonymity

Any of his constituents who actually know he has a side gig as an F1 pundit would be enough of a fan F1 that they might vote for him because of it.

Keep an eye on F1 Reddit for people taking selfies of their ballots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Blackhawk posted:

Probably the tackiest thing they could do would be to only partially fill the lake with water, such that the boats look like they're floating but actually they're just sitting on blocks, so I assume that's what they're going to do.

Yeah I just assumed this is what was happening.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah I just assumed this is what was happening.

It doesn't answer "why."

Who the gently caress is this for? Do they think they are fooling the TV audience? Do people think that the Miami Dolphins play in the bay? It's so unbelievably stupid. We all know you wanted to be on South Beach, but the city didn't buy in like Vegas did, so now we get Sochi 2.

Of course we know the reason, construction contracts are where you launder your bribes in international sports.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Pook Good Mook posted:

It doesn't answer "why."

Who the gently caress is this for? Do they think they are fooling the TV audience? Do people think that the Miami Dolphins play in the bay? It's so unbelievably stupid. We all know you wanted to be on South Beach, but the city didn't buy in like Vegas did, so now we get Sochi 2.

Of course we know the reason, construction contracts are where you launder your bribes in international sports.

It's for an international audience that just assumes "Miami" = boats, beaches, and clubbing.

Kind of like how NYC = Times Square for people that travel there once in their lives.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Pook Good Mook posted:

It doesn't answer "why."

It's to get stupid people with too much money to part with it

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Pook Good Mook posted:

It doesn't answer "why."

Who the gently caress is this for?

Rich idiots who get to tow their boat into the stadium and pay something like $40k to have boat parking for the weekend.

Seriously, they’re charging people for it, and sold out of slots.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

:hmmyes:

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

harperdc posted:

Rich idiots who get to tow their boat into the stadium and pay something like $40k to have boat parking for the weekend.

Seriously, they’re charging people for it, and sold out of slots.

I can only imagine the pitch to the room full of Europeans by the race organizers. They see that interest in the project is flagging, especially now that the water/bridge element is taken out. Realizing it's a bunch of rich out-of-touch Euros the organizer adds, "...and there will be yachts."

The room erupts in cheers.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

It's for an international audience that just assumes "Miami" = boats, beaches, and clubbing.

Kind of like how NYC = Times Square for people that travel there once in their lives.

It's this. Miami has this weird reputation with a lot of people that is only somewhat grounded in reality. A ton of my friends back in Europe think of it as this party paradise like a US Ibiza but conveniently without the red faced brits vomiting in to the ocean and glassing each other.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Apparently Mercedes is losing speed to their high ride height, which they have to do to prevent the porpoising getting even worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIT7q0pdMS4

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Rinkles posted:

Apparently Mercedes is losing speed to their high ride height, which they have to do to prevent the porpoising getting even worse.

They knew this would happen though, surely. That's why everyone hasn't just "fixed" their porpoising issues with a suspension adjustment. Maybe it's just particularly bad for Merc.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Gigi Galli posted:

It's this. Miami has this weird reputation with a lot of people that is only somewhat grounded in reality. A ton of my friends back in Europe think of it as this party paradise like a US Ibiza but conveniently without the red faced brits vomiting in to the ocean and glassing each other.

In a past life I worked as a travel agent and I was helping a British couple plan a stereotypical trip to America (NYC, Florida, Vegas). They wanted to stay on South Beach for 3 nights, which was done, then they wanted me to help them book a day trip to Disneyworld. Like one day. I had to break it to them that Orlando was 3-4 hours each way and strongly recommended they alter their plans. The worst part was that there were multiple bus/tour companies that facilitated this type of thing, meaning there was a substantial market of people doing this all the time.

This happened ALL THE TIME. I helped a group of 3 British students who wanted to throw in a one-day visit to Yosemite when they were staying in LA. Another couple had set aside just one week for bicycling the entire circumference of Lake Michigan.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Rinkles posted:

No king rules forever, my son.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Rinkles posted:

This video made my nipples hard.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Mercedes not dominating the year is fine, but not if it means Red Bull winning

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Pook Good Mook posted:

Another couple had set aside just one week for bicycling the entire circumference of Lake Michigan.

This was the one I didn't know so I googled it and got 307 miles, which I thought was just about doable if they're cyclists.

Then I realised that was the length and it was 1600 miles.

Yeah, good luck.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Thanks Ants posted:

Mercedes not dominating the year is fine, but not if it means Red Bull winning

ferrari tho (carlos please finish a race)

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Gigi Galli posted:

I agree, Miami isn't that classy.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Pook Good Mook posted:

This happened ALL THE TIME. I helped a group of 3 British students who wanted to throw in a one-day visit to Yosemite when they were staying in LA. Another couple had set aside just one week for bicycling the entire circumference of Lake Michigan.
As a citizen of America, the greatest and largest country on Earth, I think this is hilarious

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

One thing I don’t understand are the rules on sim time. It limits cfd time right? How do they even verify a team only does a certain amount of finite element analysis. What’s to stop the team from just doing it in a back room and not telling anybody? All you need is a guy and a computer.

What I’m saying is Mercedes should give me their cad files and access to a super computer and a fluent license and 1 million dollar and I too can tell them the mesh still isn’t fine enough to model the porpoising

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

all my knowledge of Miami comes from watching Miami Vice and it seems like it owns aside from multiple people dying in a shootout during a drug bust every week.

nerox
May 20, 2001

italian quid posted:

all my knowledge of Miami comes from watching Miami Vice and it seems like it owns aside from multiple people dying in a shootout during a drug bust every week.

You should expand your Miami knowledge by watching Scarface my friend.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

nerox posted:

That was shot mostly in LA.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Due to dumb Anti-Communists mad that DePalma wasn't making a purely Anti-Castro movie. It's pretty Anti-Castro!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 26, 2022

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
When the movie became popular among rap culture from like 1994-on there was an idea from some dumbass exec to re-release the movie in "updated" form with all the New Wave replaced by then contemporary rap music (this was around 2001) but DePalma told them to go gently caress themselves. King.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

traveled to the UK today and was making small talk with somebody 'oh I'm visiting a guy who moved here from the states because he's (*internally* can I say Brit*sh? is that a slur?) uhh from here'

thanks f1 thread

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

nerox posted:

Actually expand your knowledge with 2 Fast 2 Furious

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

As a citizen of America, the greatest and largest country on Earth, I think this is hilarious

I can't even pinpoint why it kept happening, especially with that saying (that's true) that Americans think 100 years is a long time, Europeans think 100 miles is a long way.

Not to get into mapchat, but I honestly think it has something to do with Mercator projections. With Europe being so far north, everything is stretched so what looks big on the map is actually not that far, while America being further south is closer in scale to reality. I also think American tourism being run by the individual states distorts how much is actually doable in a short time. Like if you go to the California tourism website you'll see the Hotel Coronado on the same page as Big Sur pictures, but they're a day's drive apart.

Anyway, Miami is an unredeemable swamp and F1 should go back to Watkins Glen. Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Frond posted:

That was shot mostly in LA.

Do you tell people that Apollo 13 wasn’t actually filmed in space?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

nerox posted:

Scarface is a terrible loving film, everyone remembers the chainsaw scene and the last shootout at the end but the movie is loving 3 hours long and crawls at a snails pace. The loving montage features him opening a hair salon for gently caress sakes.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Pook Good Mook posted:

I can't even pinpoint why it kept happening, especially with that saying (that's true) that Americans think 100 years is a long time, Europeans think 100 miles is a long way.

Not to get into mapchat, but I honestly think it has something to do with Mercator projections. With Europe being so far north, everything is stretched so what looks big on the map is actually not that far, while America being further south is closer in scale to reality. I also think American tourism being run by the individual states distorts how much is actually doable in a short time. Like if you go to the California tourism website you'll see the Hotel Coronado on the same page as Big Sur pictures, but they're a day's drive apart.

Anyway, Miami is an unredeemable swamp and F1 should go back to Watkins Glen. Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

German tourists are not advised to hike death valley.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Things are spread out more in America. This isn't even just an #UrbanismChat thing, I remember stories of tourists doing cross-country drives and being amazed at areas like Nebraska and Iowa where you can get out of the car, look around, and see literally nothing as far as the eye can see, just flat horizon and fields everywhere.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The only Miami movie you need is Ace Ventura Pet Detective.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
The funny thing is that Miami is one of the best parts of Florida.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

ethanol posted:

One thing I don’t understand are the rules on sim time. It limits cfd time right? How do they even verify a team only does a certain amount of finite element analysis. What’s to stop the team from just doing it in a back room and not telling anybody? All you need is a guy and a computer.

What I’m saying is Mercedes should give me their cad files and access to a super computer and a fluent license and 1 million dollar and I too can tell them the mesh still isn’t fine enough to model the porpoising

They can't really, they'd rely on a whistleblower.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

marshalljim posted:

The funny thing is that Miami is one of the best parts of Florida.

The only good part actually op.

The nature up north is fine but there are better examples in the rest of the country

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

italian quid posted:

Scarface is a terrible loving film, everyone remembers the chainsaw scene and the last shootout at the end but the movie is loving 3 hours long and crawls at a snails pace. The loving montage features him opening a hair salon for gently caress sakes.

WRONG. It's an amazing fim.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I was born and raised in Florida. I hate it. Everything about it. I will never live there again and I will actually hold it against you if you choose to live there.

I hold it against Formula 1 for having a race there and this is a sport that races in Saudi Arabia.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Things are spread out more in America. This isn't even just an #UrbanismChat thing, I remember stories of tourists doing cross-country drives and being amazed at areas like Nebraska and Iowa where you can get out of the car, look around, and see literally nothing as far as the eye can see, just flat horizon and fields everywhere.

Canada is also like this but even more exaggerated. The north part of my province (350KM-500KM) is inaccessible by anything other than bush plane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Frond posted:

WRONG. It's an amazing fim.

Its inferior in every way to New Jack City which is practically a perfect film.