Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Deteriorata posted:

If you have the owner's manual, there should be a table in the back of recommended maintenance schedules. I'm generally in the "don't fix it before it breaks" camp with most stuff that's not consumables.

You probably have the original battery, which would be pretty crusty by now and would explain the slow turnover. You may want to price out a replacement before it dies so you're prepared for it.

Forgot to mention I replaced the battery 2-3 years ago. Last time I had it in to Grease Monkey they said the battery tested ok, so I thought it might be the starter. But when I bring it in, I'll ask them to double-check the battery as well. Thank you!

e:

totalnewbie posted:

You could probably do the plugs yourself as well. Don't know when it was last changed so chances are, they weren't and you're due.

Do use a torque wrench.
Do buy NGK or Denso
Do use precious metal spark plugs
Do not use antiseize
Do not measure or regap plugs yourself

It's not that I'm not willing to learn, it's that I don't have time. I run my own business and I sink my spare fixing poo poo time into my road/mountain bikes. But I'll mention spark plugs as well. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Eejit posted:

Forgot to mention I replaced the battery 2-3 years ago. Last time I had it in to Grease Monkey they said the battery tested ok, so I thought it might be the starter. But when I bring it in, I'll ask them to double-check the battery as well.

Make sure they clean the battery terminals & clamps. Corrosion can make a good battery weak and ultimately, kill the battery.

Some of that transmission ‘lurching’ that you describe may also be due to low current through the ECU.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'm not saying this is your problem but the kind of tester they use at Grease Monkey easily gives a false OK. A proper test would mean removing it from the vehicle and dropping it off at a parts store for an hour or so

Edit: also which transmission is it? CVT, 6 speed auto?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

PainterofCrap posted:

Make sure they clean the battery terminals & clamps. Corrosion can make a good battery weak and ultimately, kill the battery.

Some of that transmission ‘lurching’ that you describe may also be due to low current through the ECU.

Ah cool, would never have thought of that.

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

I'm not saying this is your problem but the kind of tester they use at Grease Monkey easily gives a false OK. A proper test would mean removing it from the vehicle and dropping it off at a parts store for an hour or so

Edit: also which transmission is it? CVT, 6 speed auto?

It's a 6 speed auto. My sister owns the an almost identical Patriot of the same year and has been describing similar issues with her transmission.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Here's my issue:

2002 Saturn SL1, automatic, 54k miles

In the past couple of weeks when driving on the interstate at speeds over 50mph, the car starts bucking. Not really bad, but definitely noticable. I get no warning lights and the engine speed does does fluctuate. It doesn't stall or cut off. When I drop below that speed, it goes away. It doesn't do it all the time, but more so than before the last two weeks or so.

A quick googling indicates it might be the fuel filter.

I've had the car for over a year now and it has been flawless up to this problem.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I bought a Dorman copy of an oilite Ford pilot bushing. Can't say that I've ever interacted with a brand new oilite part before.

It's supposed to be dry to the touch right? I know the lubrication pre machining involves a vacuum pump so is there any point in soaking in more 30W before install?

e: After looking at some bar stock I guess that's just how it is

Yerok fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 23, 2022

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So I bought my new car on the 6th. My insurance recently informed me the vehicle has not been registered with the state, despite the $60 fee from the dealer for them to register the car.

It of course has the temp registration from the day I bought it, which doesn't expire for a few months.

Am I safe to keep driving it with the temp registration? I asked the dealer whats going on and he said he'd get back to me - but I've been thoroughly unimpressed with these guys and won't be going back for any future purchases. Not especially expecting to hear back from them unless I keep hounding them. Seems like I'm better off just going down to the DMV myself.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I have a 2012 Acura TSX Wagon, and the sound from locking it via the key fob is basically silent, making it hard to find in the costco parking lot. Anyway to amplify the sound?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Panic button will sound the horn.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Mister Kingdom posted:

A quick googling indicates it might be the fuel filter.

I had the fuel filter replaced, but the problem still exists.

Any clues?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mister Kingdom posted:

I had the fuel filter replaced, but the problem still exists.

Any clues?

It definitely sounds like fuel starvation. Check the fuel pump and lines, I guess.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Deteriorata posted:

It definitely sounds like fuel starvation. Check the fuel pump and lines, I guess.

I was afraid of that. I know the tank has to be dropped to get to the pump.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

I was afraid of that. I know the tank has to be dropped to get to the pump.

I've had multiple high mileage cars where it was time to replace the fuel pump and once it was done it was like "oh, THERES where all the power went". It's often a gradual loss, either because the pump impeller is wearing out and/or the fuel sock at the bottom of it is getting clogged but when that's the thing that makes the difference......dayum you can feel it once it's fixed.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Motronic posted:

I've had multiple high mileage cars where it was time to replace the fuel pump and once it was done it was like "oh, THERES where all the power went". It's often a gradual loss, either because the pump impeller is wearing out and/or the fuel sock at the bottom of it is getting clogged but when that's the thing that makes the difference......dayum you can feel it once it's fixed.

I think my problem is more age-related than mileage.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

It's a 20 year old car. One that has sat a significant amount of time going by the miles. Fuel pumps hate sitting in old gas far more than high mileage, injectors also don't appreciate sitting for a long time. Something the same age that's been driven regularly would probably run pretty decent, to be honest.

There should be a way to hook up a fuel pressure gauge from under the hood. On this, you probably want to see ~35ish PSI at idle, should go up a bit when you blip the throttle (and you should be able to do so from under the hood). Should go up a bit if you disconnect the vacuum line from the fuel pressure regulator too (it'll be a vacuum line going to a round thing right by the injectors more than likely).

It's very likely the fuel pump, but there should hopefully be a Schrader valve to hook up a pressure gauge to the fuel rail. You can probably rent/borrow a gauge from Autozone with a refundable deposit.

Anecdotally, I had an ex with an early 90s Cavalier that sat for 3 or 4 years, with a half full tank. Once we got it running, it basically refused to go over ~45 without violent bucking, also had an erratic idle. Fuel pressure was all over the drat place, I'm amazed it was able to run at all. New fuel pump got it running about as good as a 2.8 V6 GM could run (which isn't saying much, but it got a steady idle and stopped bucking).

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

STR posted:

It's a 20 year old car. One that has sat a significant amount of time going by the miles. Fuel pumps hate sitting in old gas far more than high mileage, injectors also don't appreciate sitting for a long time. Something the same age that's been driven regularly would probably run pretty decent, to be honest.

The previous owner only drove it about 3000 miles per year. It sat up for about 8 months after she passed away and I got it. She only ran premium gas and changed the oil every six months. According to the specs it only has 85hp, so it's no speed demon, but it can hold its own on the interstate.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Mister Kingdom posted:

The previous owner only drove it about 3000 miles per year. It sat up for about 8 months after she passed away and I got it. She only ran premium gas and changed the oil every six months. According to the specs it only has 85hp, so it's no speed demon, but it can hold its own on the interstate.

Premium just means the anti-knock index or octane rating is higher, which I don't believe the Saturns are tuned to take advantage of. However, in a 2002, you get 100hp for the SOHC and 124hp if it's a DOHC :)

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
I just got my driver's license and I'm looking to rent cars for day trips. The problem is that I only have an interim license and it'll be a few weeks before my actual license arrives.

All these rental car apps just assume you have the license card, so it looks like I can only rent from brick and mortar rental companies like Hertz and Avis. But they're not open on Sundays :(. Do y'all know of any other possible options for renting?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Go in on Saturday and book for the next day?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

quarantinethepast posted:

I just got my driver's license and I'm looking to rent cars for day trips. The problem is that I only have an interim license and it'll be a few weeks before my actual license arrives.

All these rental car apps just assume you have the license card, so it looks like I can only rent from brick and mortar rental companies like Hertz and Avis. But they're not open on Sundays :(. Do y'all know of any other possible options for renting?

What are you using for 'all these rental car apps' ? I am curious which non-megacorp ones out there have any usable market share beyond like, Zipcar (Avis/Hertz) and Turo.

If you have an international airport near you, they might be 24/7, but you'd have to get there and back.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

wesleywillis posted:

Go in on Saturday and book for the next day?

I think I'll try this. Cool av btw

Inner Light posted:

What are you using for 'all these rental car apps' ? I am curious which non-megacorp ones out there have any usable market share beyond like, Zipcar (Avis/Hertz) and Turo.

Yeah Zipcar was what I was looking at. I even called their support, and they said I couldn't use an interim license for verification.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Good thing I changed those brakes!

Backstory, my car, but, I don't drive it. The GF drives it to work since I walk to work and her car is bust. We were going to change the brakes a few weeks ago but life got ahead of us.

I replaced both back shoes on each tire, and both drums too.

I didn't get shots of the drums which were rusted to poo poo, but some victory shots of the insides before replacing the shoes

I just want to say, whoever decided to make brakes designed this way should be punched in the face

Of course, the shoes only came with one clip, and not the other springs and such, that's a separate purchase. :how:

Dad: "you know, you didn't have to get new drums, these are still good" as the outside is literally crumbling every hammer strike
Me: "these were $24 each"

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 25, 2022

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Drum brakes can be decent brakes, but I agree they are not fun to work on. I’m glad you’re on the other side of it though. This is your Versa, right?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

nitsuga posted:

Drum brakes can be decent brakes, but I agree they are not fun to work on. I’m glad you’re on the other side of it though. This is your Versa, right?

Yeah, it's getting up in miles (246k), and it's costing more to have someone else do these things than it is to sell the car due to the miles, so I figure may as well do these myself until I either can't anymore, or requires a car lift I don't have access to.

I don't have the money for a new car.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yeah, it's getting up in miles (246k), and it's costing more to have someone else do these things than it is to sell the car due to the miles, so I figure may as well do these myself until I either can't anymore, or requires a car lift I don't have access to.

I don't have the money for a new car.

For what it's worth that's probably the first time they've needed to be done, drum brakes are magic that last forever and are great if your use case permits them.

I want to say that my S13 240sx's had a drum brake-esque type of assy inside the rotor that was for the handbrake, am I misremembering that goons?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Drum-in-hat parking brakes are still extremely common because they're generally easier to make than a caliper with integrated parking brake.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
2016 Honda Civic LX

I took it into the body shop recently as part of an insurance claim, and in their work, they had to replace the front fender, repair the front bumper, and repair the front driver side door (including disassembling it). When I got the car back I immediately noticed what I assume is an electrical issue (that has to my knowledge never appeared before with this car).

One, the fob wouldn't lock the doors even if I was holding it outside the car. Two, when I was inside the car after I turned off the engine and pulled the key out of the ignition, every so often the car would act like I was pressing the unlock button on the fob, and on multiple occasions the windows would roll down entirely on their own.

The body shop took it back in and is going to take apart the door to see if it's the work they did; in the mean time I was curious if anybody had additional insight on what might cause it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

mentholmoose posted:

2016 Honda Civic LX

I took it into the body shop recently as part of an insurance claim, and in their work, they had to replace the front fender, repair the front bumper, and repair the front driver side door (including disassembling it). When I got the car back I immediately noticed what I assume is an electrical issue (that has to my knowledge never appeared before with this car).

One, the fob wouldn't lock the doors even if I was holding it outside the car. Two, when I was inside the car after I turned off the engine and pulled the key out of the ignition, every so often the car would act like I was pressing the unlock button on the fob, and on multiple occasions the windows would roll down entirely on their own.

The body shop took it back in and is going to take apart the door to see if it's the work they did; in the mean time I was curious if anybody had additional insight on what might cause it.

Do you have another fob you can try it with?

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Do you have another fob you can try it with?

Oh yeah, I do. I suppose a bad fob is a possibility but it'd be a hell of a coincidence for it to pop up right when it did. They're gonna look at the door again tomorrow, so if that doesn't work I'll attempt to give the secondary keyfob a shot.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Not sure if this would be the right thread:
My dad has problems and pains with his legs. Can kinda walk, but can't really lift them and is weak in general. Can't get into a car like that. Someone moving his legs up hurts him too much. Getting a bus to pick him up in a wheel chair is a huge pain in the rear end for the folks, turns a 20 minute doctor's appointment to a multi hour trip.

Once in a car, he can sit and seat belt, getting in is the issue.

Is there, like, a ramp that my mom can use to help him him walk into their CR-V? Or maybe into a minivan that they can borrow from my sister (harder to schedule things, but she helps when she can)?

I keep thinking about how I built a ramp for the dog to use, but a 35 pound animal versus a 150 lb relative is a completely different mindset. Hell, they still have the dog's car ramp, but I wouldn't trust the guy on it.

I know wheelchair vans exist, may be something to look into, but this would be quick and easy and cheap as an alternative.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Uthor posted:

Not sure if this would be the right thread:
My dad has problems and pains with his legs. Can kinda walk, but can't really lift them and is weak in general. Can't get into a car like that. Someone moving his legs up hurts him too much. Getting a bus to pick him up in a wheel chair is a huge pain in the rear end for the folks, turns a 20 minute doctor's appointment to a multi hour trip.

Once in a car, he can sit and seat belt, getting in is the issue.

Is there, like, a ramp that my mom can use to help him him walk into their CR-V? Or maybe into a minivan that they can borrow from my sister (harder to schedule things, but she helps when she can)?

I keep thinking about how I built a ramp for the dog to use, but a 35 pound animal versus a 150 lb relative is a completely different mindset. Hell, they still have the dog's car ramp, but I wouldn't trust the guy on it.

I know wheelchair vans exist, may be something to look into, but this would be quick and easy and cheap as an alternative.

Maybe something like this? https://www.rollaramp.com/

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Looking positive, need to get the details on how it works and if my mom can handle it.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 26, 2022

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Anyone have strong opinions on the QuickJack hydraulic lifts? I hate getting my GTI up on jack stands, always feels kinda squirrelly compared to my previous vehicles.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

Anyone have strong opinions on the QuickJack hydraulic lifts? I hate getting my GTI up on jack stands, always feels kinda squirrelly compared to my previous vehicles.

They're great when they work, but the lack of adjustability means you drat well better be sure you get the correct size and don't expect it to work on your GTI and say, your friends wagon or CUV.

Yes, they come in "weights" but the more important distinction is the length of them on anything that doesn't just have a full frame where you can lift it from anywhere. You need to make sure your lift points fit between the max/mins listed for the model you are looking at.

They are also heavy enough and a pain enough in the rear end enough to set up that you will NOT want to take them out just to swap tires or something.

Doing heavy work? Hell yes. I did all the bearings on my daughters suby with my set. Would NOT have wanted to do all that hammering on jack stands they're just so much more stable. I'd be happy to pull a trans under them or whatever. Did a bunch of exhaust work under there with them too. Very confidence inspiring.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm looking at parts for this car and I have a question:

I needed to fix my blower, and I believe the issue is not the blower, but the resistor based on its behavior. When I took it to the dealer they suggested $600 to do this, and the part was almost $220.

(the resistor is about $15 on rockauto, with a year warranty)

The blower itself is also only $33 on rockauto, same warranty.

What the hell justifies a 661% price increase for a part?

Like if it was $60 or even $100 I'd understand but :wtc: where is the shop getting this from that the prices are so high?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I took it to the dealer

I have spotted the problem.

I wish I had something new or original to say but that's just how it is. The stereotype still holds true. It costs that much because they want it to cost that much, pay up buddy!!

Unless you're looking at an aftermarket part on RockAuto

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It's because of events like this where I'm doing this maintenance myself instead, so stupid

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It's because of events like this where I'm doing this maintenance myself instead, so stupid

Welcome to the club.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Welcome to the cube.

FTFY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Uthor posted:

Looking positive, need to get the details on how it works and if my mom can handle it.

If the rollaramp doesn't work for you, ask around at a wheelchair supply store. I grew up with a Dad in a wheelchair, so finding good portable ramps was always important. There are options out there - I want to say we had an aluminum ramp that would extend to multiple lengths that worked fine, and didn't cost $1500. But that was over two decades ago, so maybe that's a decent price now.