Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I ordered them the morning they came available on the Hoka site. I just looked and even my size 14 is back order only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My wife's baby cousin was supposed to go backpacking with us this summer, but he took to rock climbing like a mountain goat and they both really want to climb bigger rocks. Unfortunately while I'm confident enough in my alpinism to not get them killed, I am not confident enough to teach. And we're in Louisiana now. Anyone have any recs for places/companies/etc we could go this summer to get a referesher for me and basic skills for them? I prefer Colorado but anywhere in the US will do really- it will be a long trip regardless.

The hope is practice this year, and then next year hopefully gently caress around CO for a good long while (acclimatizing for being below sea level lol), then tackle a babby's first peak or two on our own next summer.

I learned my poo poo from guys who already knew. I just have no idea how to go about it when the mountains are out-of-state, and there are no Guys I Know Who Already Know.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My wife's baby cousin was supposed to go backpacking with us this summer, but he took to rock climbing like a mountain goat and they both really want to climb bigger rocks. Unfortunately while I'm confident enough in my alpinism to not get them killed, I am not confident enough to teach. And we're in Louisiana now. Anyone have any recs for places/companies/etc we could go this summer to get a referesher for me and basic skills for them? I prefer Colorado but anywhere in the US will do really- it will be a long trip regardless.

The hope is practice this year, and then next year hopefully gently caress around CO for a good long while (acclimatizing for being below sea level lol), then tackle a babby's first peak or two on our own next summer.

I learned my poo poo from guys who already knew. I just have no idea how to go about it when the mountains are out-of-state, and there are no Guys I Know Who Already Know.

Have you thought about hiring a guide from a company like Colorado Mountain Schools?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Slimy Hog posted:

Have you thought about hiring a guide from a company like Colorado Mountain Schools?

Thanks that sort of thing is exactly what I was looking for. I have no idea how to learn other than being friends with someone, and I mainly know the canuck rockies on top of that.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Got up at 7am and snagged both of our top choices for weekend long backpacking trips in the Three Sisters wilderness this summer :toot:

Last year was our first alpine backpacking trip with our toddler and I'm excited to do 2 more this year.

For anyone near the central cascades, they changed the permit system this year, reserving more of the overnights and ALL of the day use permits to be released 10 days prior to the trip date, instead of releasing most of them for the whole season on April 5th.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
Mrs. Trophy and I just survived our first ever backpacking adventure, an overnight in the San Mateo Wilderness. 7 miles in on Saturday, 7 miles out on Sunday. It was a strange feeling being out in the middle of nowhere, yet so close to the millions of SoCal.

We used a combination of rented and self owned equipment. REI provided a 70l pack for me, a Halfdome 2+ tent and some 20F synthetic bags. A little heavy, but now that we found it was an enjoyable experience, we will probably buy some lighter items. My loaded pack was 35 pounds at the start and she had 25. Granted, we were each carrying 5l of water. FYI, if anyone is going to be camping at Oak Flats, there is water as of a few days ago.

Weather was great. Mostly cloudy on Saturday with light rain, fog and drizzle overnight. Sunday was cloudy all day with a few bits of sun near the end of the hike out. A mix of sleeping pads and pillows from Nemo and Thermarest worked well, and the MSR stove was great as usual.

I can't wait to try it again next month.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Glad you enjoyed the trip! Sounds like it was a solid first experience for the two of you. Just wait until you’re bit by the gear bug and continually buy stuff because it’s lighter/warmer/brighter/etc. :getin:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Verman posted:

Try using the heel locking holes in your shoes to secure your heel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tPGJ3-mxbY&t=18s

The only shoes I have this magical configuration on are an old pair of New Balances. WTF, Columbia/Keen?!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Weird, I feel like nearly every pair of shoes I've ever had has those extra holes in the back and until I got into hiking I never understood what they were for.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Just grabbed a pair of mesh Danner 2650 Trails that are a half size smaller than I have normally worn (my feet seem to be shrinking) and while the rest of the fit is spot on, currently they're a bit loose in the heal. I expect that to rectify itself as they break in, but gonna lace them up like this regardless.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

highme posted:

Just grabbed a pair of mesh Danner 2650 Trails that are a half size smaller than I have normally worn (my feet seem to be shrinking) and while the rest of the fit is spot on, currently they're a bit loose in the heal. I expect that to rectify itself as they break in, but gonna lace them up like this regardless.

I was curious about those but I thought they only came in goretex version (which is not my thing) and I couldn't find them locally. Let me know how you like them.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

This is my 2nd pair of 2650s. I have a pair of the 3/4s w/ Gore-tex. Those are a 12W and just a bit too much volume at first but they've broken in OK. I wanted these or the Campos for warmer weather because my feet are always super warm and the full leather with gore is definitely not a summer boot for me. They do have non gore versions for each style and REI, and Dick's Sporting good generally stock the leather 2650 low that you can try on if there's one of those local.

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus
Had my first grizzly encounter over the weekend. Was scouting out a backcountry ridge ascent route for the summer that we scoped out last year and on our way back to camp and he was just moseying across the valley. At this point I've seen more black bears under 10 meters from me than I can count but this was a whole nother experience. They really are intimidating as hell in person. It screwed off into the woods after a few bear bangers but that was a hell of a terrifying start to the season for sure. Always make sure you've got all your wildlife gear on you for the area you're at.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Woah, cool/scary! Glad you got to see it. I've always both wanted and not wanted a bear encounter (want only if safe, obviously). I have had two cougar encounters though, both benign.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I almost ran into a momma with her cubs in Denali once. We were lucky that the only people we saw all day saw us walking straight towards them

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

So what do you guys do for blue green algae? Every water filtering system I’ve seen says there’s nothing they can do about it as filtering the algae won’t do poo poo for the toxins it leaves behind but it’s literally everywhere in the South/Midwest once it heats up and even the fancy expensive stuff doesn’t touch it.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Heading to Linville Gorge (NC) the first weekend of May.

I am giving warning to everyone who might go there because I have never had a trip where it doesn't rain constantly.

Oracle posted:

So what do you guys do for blue green algae? Every water filtering system I’ve seen says there’s nothing they can do about it as filtering the algae won’t do poo poo for the toxins it leaves behind but it’s literally everywhere in the South/Midwest once it heats up and even the fancy expensive stuff doesn’t touch it.

Here in Ohio people just swim in it because ain't nobody telling them they can't do something. Seriously though, this stuff is bad .. don't mess with it and plan your trip at another time. Around where I live when it blooms during summer it looks like a truck carrying a few million gallons of antifreeze dumped into the lake. Its awful stuff.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 25, 2022

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Linville is stunning. I spent a couple of days around Linville Falls last May but didn't check out the wilderness area. It was perfect timing for catching spring ephemerals, orchids, jack in the pulpit, etc. The Blue Ridge Parkway is worth a drive if you want to take the scenic route.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I have never had a trip where it doesn't rain constantly.
This has been my experience as well.

Also, I had no idea that the blue algae was so dangerous, I moved to Ohio like 7 years ago and just thought it was gross not dangerous. Guess it's time to look it up and come up with a few new phobias.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Just had our first backpacking trip this weekend! Just a 2-mile out n back kind of deal, and the site we ended up at was just a car camping location. Still, had a blast and can't wait to do it again.

Food-wise, what do people like to do? We enjoyed using our cook kit, just plopped a pan on a canister-mounted ministove to boil water. I'd like to hit the middle ground between "living off of clif bars" and "Spending $10/person/meal on dehydrated meals-in-a-bag at REI"

Also, it's tick season here in the Northeast. What's the best way to fend off the little jerks?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DIY meals are quite easy and very good, just do some google searches for stuff you like because every backpacker blogger out there will have options. Stuff built around ramen, rice, or powdered eggs are extremely common.

Andrew Skurka's rice and beans is pretty popular: https://andrewskurka.com/backpacking-dinner-recipe-beans-rice-with-fritos-cheese/

Cheese will make a gooey mess out of your pot though, so I would only do it in spots with good access to water. Or learn to live with a bit of your previous meal's crud hanging out.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Not a Children posted:

Just had our first backpacking trip this weekend! Just a 2-mile out n back kind of deal, and the site we ended up at was just a car camping location. Still, had a blast and can't wait to do it again.

Food-wise, what do people like to do? We enjoyed using our cook kit, just plopped a pan on a canister-mounted ministove to boil water. I'd like to hit the middle ground between "living off of clif bars" and "Spending $10/person/meal on dehydrated meals-in-a-bag at REI"

Also, it's tick season here in the Northeast. What's the best way to fend off the little jerks?

I usually end up doing the $10 a meal dehydrated meals for dinner. They seem like the easiest/lightest option out there unfortunately. You can look into some pasta/instant noodle/rice things but they never seem great. Lunches/breakfasts I tend to do non-commercial solutions (granola, oatmeal etc for breakfast, cheese/crackers/meat or something similar for lunches). On canoe trips I have done some other dinner options (such as boil in bag meals) which are cheaper (arguably better) but are much heavier. Also sucks to have to do dishes in the back country if you are wanting to do it in a leave no trace way (not leaving food scraps etc although this could depend on the facilities at your camp location).

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The $10 meals are totally worth it to me. One fewer thing to plan for the trip, no pots or bowls to clean, taste better than what I'd probably make, healthier than other easy options, decent vegetarian options, and really not that expensive per person. One day I'll try some of those nicer recipes, but I just don't care that much about camp food. If it were up to me I'd just eat a bag of cold granola and call it a night, but I'm usually eating with other people.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I’ve settled on doing the commercial freeze-dried meals because the convenience and lack of mess makes up for the cost savings, though I usually feel bad about having so much packaging. Breakfast is usually just oatmeal and instant coffee. We did order some from Fernweh Food Co. to try on our most recent trip since the packaging is supposed to be compostable, but they didn’t ship in time. I guess I’ll give a trip report on those after our next outing.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Not a Children posted:

Pre-treat your clothes (and gear like tents if you want to) with permethrin, which kills lots of different bugs on contact and acts as a mild repellant. You spray it on, let it dry, and then it's good even through a few laundry cycles. Note, it can be toxic to some animals, so take care with your pets when applying it and hanging your stuff to dry. You may want to store your treated clothes/gear securely away from them as well.
https://www.amazon.com/Products-Premium-Permethrin-Repellent-Clothing/dp/B08HJTXGS3?th=1
http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/archive/Permtech.html

High % DEET is the best repellant, get at least 40% if you can and apply regularly, especially to gaps in clothing coverage (ankle, waist, wrists, neck, and to your hat).

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Not a Children posted:

The meal packs are really unbeatable for dinner short of DIY stuff like xzzy mentioned.

A normal day of food for me:

cliff bar for breakfast
tortilla with one of those packets of tuna you can get at the grocery store. also some of my snacks
snickers or other candy bar in the afternoon as a snack
dinner is a dehydrated meal, some instant potatoes if i am extra hungry

I personally don't like bothering with heating anything up in the mornings, i prefer to just eat a cliff bar and get to it. For lunch, tortillas are king. chicken salad, tuna, whatever fillings you want work. biggest advice i can give on snacks is always err on the side of sweet. sometimes when you are really exerting yourself your appetite can be suppressed, and chocolate covered cherries or yogurt covered pretzels can be way easier to eat. Also i recommend those Mio drink flavor things. They make ones with caffeine and others that are like gatorade.

For ticks, permethrin, permethrin, permethrin. You spray it on your clothing, and once it dries it is a fantastic bug repellant. I make sure to hit my boots, my socks, pants, underwear, hat, and shirts. can also spray your backpack as well. My buddies and I swear by it, and in years of backpacking, including going off trail and such, we've never had an embedded tick.

https://www.rei.com/product/768970/...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

RodShaft posted:

This has been my experience as well.

Also, I had no idea that the blue algae was so dangerous, I moved to Ohio like 7 years ago and just thought it was gross not dangerous. Guess it's time to look it up and come up with a few new phobias.

Yeah a lot of people don't realize it unless you own a dog (its particularly dangerous for dogs to drink, can cause liver failure real quick).
https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/hsb/chemicals/pdfs/Facts_Cyanobacterial_Harmful_Algal_Blooms_508.pdf

And most water filtration systems have this caveat:
Can I treat toxins in the water to make it safe to drink?

No. Personal water filtration devices for camping or hiking have not been proven to be effective, and boiling water will not remove the toxins. Home filtration devices used to purify well water drawn from a lake affected by a bloom are also inefficient.

Apparently some study in Ohio in like 2005 found that activated charcoal combined with one of those micromembrane filters would do well at removing one of the toxins but that's on like a city level. Basically anything portable isn't going to be big enough to ensure safety.

meefistopheles
Nov 11, 2013

aparmenideanmonad posted:

High % DEET is the best repellant, get at least 40% if you can and apply regularly, especially to gaps in clothing coverage (ankle, waist, wrists, neck, and to your hat).

I 100% concur about the permethrin- pretreated clothes are the way to do it. You can also get it in a more concentrated solution from agricultural stores (harbor freight, tractor supply, etc) and soak your clothes instead of spraying- it lasts longer, but it's a little more involved.

DEET is a good repellant, but it also will mess up any plastics it routinely touches, which includes a lot of hiking clothes. I use picaridin for this reason. That being said, with permethrin-treated clothes I'm not normally using much, so you could probably get away with deet.

https://sectionhiker.com/does-deet-harm-outdoor-clothing-and-outdoor-gear/

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I think (don't quote me on this) that permathrin is only toxic while still wet. At least I remember reading that with regard to cats when I last looked. I just apply it outdoors (or in the garage if need be) and let it dry thoroughly before bringing it inside.

The stuff is great. Thanks for the reminder to reapply.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The $10 meals are totally worth it to me. One fewer thing to plan for the trip, no pots or bowls to clean, taste better than what I'd probably make, healthier than other easy options, decent vegetarian options, and really not that expensive per person.

They are the best option for many reasons, but the amount of trash they generate really bugs me. It feels like too much waste for what you get out of it.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

incogneato posted:

I think (don't quote me on this) that permathrin is only toxic while still wet. At least I remember reading that with regard to cats when I last looked. I just apply it outdoors (or in the garage if need be) and let it dry thoroughly before bringing it inside.

The stuff is great. Thanks for the reminder to reapply.

It's easiest to get higher exposure levels while it's still wet and easier to transfer, and most mammals require pretty high exposures to show negative effects. That said, there are notable exceptions, especially some cats, where dermal exposure to treated clothing/equipment is sufficient for toxicity. Pets that chew or eat clothes could also get a pretty high dose from treated clothing even after its dry - I have known several dogs who were dedicated sock eaters, for instance.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Related to the little algae chat, it might be worth noting that water filters also do not filter viruses. I believe in some locales with high enough water temps that can be a concern.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Math You posted:

Related to the little algae chat, it might be worth noting that water filters also do not filter viruses. I believe in some locales with high enough water temps that can be a concern.

Some do actually! For a TON of info -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyGLdVOmtxI

The "UltraFiltration" filters can confidentially remove viruses.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

xzzy posted:

They are the best option for many reasons, but the amount of trash they generate really bugs me. It feels like too much waste for what you get out of it.

I hate generating trash from camping (I wash and reuse my ziplocs, etc), but it's just a bag, isn't it? It's a fraction of the waste generated driving to the trailhead.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I hate generating trash from camping (I wash and reuse my ziplocs, etc), but it's just a bag, isn't it? It's a fraction of the waste generated driving to the trailhead.

There are a few things like smaller plastic bags but yeah they are essentially a foil lined ziplock so likely not recyclable but yeah not enormous. I suspect it feels like more garbage as you see all your trash at the end of the trip, I imagine most people create more or a similar amount of waste while at home you just are not collecting all of it to see at the end of x number of days.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah in the grand scheme it's not much trash, I'm more comparing the amount of garbage when I do DIY meals vs premade cook in a bag.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Does anyone have a suggestion for a very light cot that would still fit in a 1 or 2 person tenr?

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.
Grand Canyon Rim to Rim:

Is this doable for someone who is usually a day hiker? I haven’t done backpacking, but I would go on a guided trip. I’ve heard of people doing it in one day but I really want to take my time. The longest hike I’ve done was about 16 miles, probably about 3k elevation change? I know the Grand Canyon is intense but is it out of the question for a normal fit person that trains?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

liz posted:

Grand Canyon Rim to Rim:

Is this doable for someone who is usually a day hiker? I haven’t done backpacking, but I would go on a guided trip. I’ve heard of people doing it in one day but I really want to take my time. The longest hike I’ve done was about 16 miles, probably about 3k elevation change? I know the Grand Canyon is intense but is it out of the question for a normal fit person that trains?

While I haven't done it, the rational part of my brain would suggest not to do it for your first backpacking experience. From what I've heard, it's a difficult route and even experienced backpackers struggle with it.

Day hiking and backpacking are very different. It's easy to push hard with a light pack and knowing there's a good meal, shower and a bed a few hours away. It's more difficult when you're carrying a heavy pack, eating odd food and are super remote.

I actually got anxiety on my first trip. I was comfortable camping and hunting but being that remote, I thought about all the what ifs. I got altitude sickness which didn't help. There was definitely some nervous excitement but also a lot of worry. I had never been that secluded before. I worried about animals. I worried a lot about the food being secure. It didn't help that I also got altitude sickness and it made me barf/not sleep.

It quickly went away after a few trips and getting the hang of things. Some of my friends also experienced this on their first trips.

I would suggest trying to do something less intense for your first experience. Physical fitness will definitely help make it easier but the mental game is a real thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Easiest version of rim to rim is ~21 mi and 6000ft down + 4000ft up in desert conditions. It's doable in a day if you've got some combo of youth/good training/no joint problems/mental fortitude, but I wouldn't do it that way given the choice. You're rushed, it's harder to enjoy the scenic parts, and you (and your joints) will feel like poo poo towards the end. You will also have to manage hydration and calories more aggressively than you're probably used to, which likely means carrying more stuff, which exacerbates the physical demands.

Camping at the bottom of the Canyon is at least as cool of an experience as hiking in and out of it, so I'd recommend that if you have the time, resources, and luck with lotteries. Going with a guided multi-day trip is a good idea if it's your first time doing something like this - only real downside is $$$.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 26, 2022