Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Huh, this is almost 10 times more than anything I’ve seen commonly mentioned in public, almost 3 times more than the highest number I’ve seen at all.

Edit: I’ll follow the thread tradition of editing snipes and remind you all to floss your teeth tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Well now here's an interesting angle on Finland's NATO membership. I bet this will go well.

quote:

Croatian President threatens to block Finland, Sweden joining Nato unless Bosnian electoral law is reformed

Any potential application from Finland to join Nato must be ratified by all 30 member states, but Croatia's Parliament — not the President — will make that decision.

Croatian President Zoran Milanović has called on his country's parliament to vote against Finland and Sweden joining Nato, Croatian television has reported.

If the two Nordic nations decide to apply for membership of the alliance, their applications must be ratified by all 30 current member states. Croatia has been a member of Nato since 2009.

Milanović stated that Croatia's approval of any potential Finnish and Swedish application could be dependent on the reform of Bosnia and Herzegovina's electoral law.

In a complicated political system created after the end of war in 1995, Bosnia and Herzegovina is made up of two main administrative units that represent the three main ethnic groups — the Serb-dominated entity of Republika Srpska and the Bosniak-Croat majority Federation of BiH.

The country’s largest Croatian party, the HDZ, has demanded reforms that would give Bosnia's Croatians more power — calls that have been backed by Milanović and the Croatian government.

In an interview with Index.hr, Milanović stated that "the Croatian parliament must not ratify any country's Nato membership until Bosnia and Herzegovina's electoral law has been amended".

He added however that the decision on Finland or Sweden joining Nato is not in his hands, as it will be made by the Croatian Parliament.

He also said he regrets the fact that Croatia has to interfere with the Nato application of a country "as exemplary as Finland".

https://yle.fi/news/3-12418999

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

CommieGIR posted:

Rand and Ron Paul are basically everything you'd expect from American Libertarians in that way, and their alignment with the GOP means being a liar or saying stupid poo poo is almost expected of them.

"I don't think my wife should be forced to use a carseat"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Brain65 posted:

The number of soldiers is fairly small, the problem is the equipment they have. In the 90s Transnistria was the place where the 14th army was stationed with all their equipment. The 1500-2000 people they have active are actually guarding all that arsenal. And if they have enough people in Transnistria they might just stand up that whole army.

Also I think the main problem is that whatever they have, it's probably more than what Moldova has, which seems to be pretty useless.

d64
Jan 15, 2003

Nenonen posted:

Well now here's an interesting angle on Finland's NATO membership. I bet this will go well.

This seems very silly. The worst part of it is that it could open the can of worms of more NATO members coming up with stuff they want to happen before they can ratify Fin/Swe membership.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Huh, this is almost 10 times more than anything I’ve seen commonly mentioned in public, almost 3 times more than the highest number I’ve seen at all.

Edit: I’ll follow the thread tradition of editing snipes and remind you all to floss your teeth tonight.

I'm sure it's exaggerated
What worries me is that if Putin is being told he's winning the war why not push into Transnistria?

It's so disorderly and I'm sure breakdowns in communication with Moscow are ubiquitous and obfuscated by the inner-circle vault.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Nenonen posted:

Can they just kick croatia out?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

d64 posted:

This seems very silly. The worst part of it is that it could open the can of worms of more NATO members coming up with stuff they want to happen before they can ratify Fin/Swe membership.

Yeah that just seems straight up insane. What is Finland or Sweden, or NATO, supposed to do about the election law in Bosnia?

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

d64 posted:

It's up to our parliament, thankfully our idiot of a president has no say in this. And I voted for the guy because he didn't seem so insane.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah that just seems straight up insane. What is Finland or Sweden, or NATO, supposed to do about the election law in Bosnia?

Send a Nordic expeditionary force to de-nazify Bosnia?

Actually, if all NATO members just agree to look away, maybe we can send a force to de-Zoranify Croatia... :v:

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Traveling from Warsaw to Berlin right now. Unlike two months ago, there are almost no Ukrainians heading west on the highway and no russian or Belarusian trucks at all. I did however see two trucks from Kazakhstan, which I never saw before in Poland. My guess is these are re-registered russian trucks.

Regarding gas, listening to our media, no-one seems too worried. The common opinion seems to be we’ve been expecting the pipeline to shut down - the contract was planned to expire by the end of the year without prolonging and stopping gas now is just ripping the bandaid a bit earlier. Poland has 70% of reserves full after setting aside gas starting mid February.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Nenonen posted:

Actually, if all NATO members just agree to look away, maybe we can send a force to de-Zoranify Croatia... :v:

De-Ustasify Croatia … Serbia just joined the chat

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Nenonen posted:

I hesitate to ask, but how did he even imagine this would work? This just seem like such an insane demand.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Where would any soldiers in Transinistria actually go? Into Ukraine? Into Moldova?

Aside from some possible missile and air strikes, Ukraine hasn't actually crossed into Russia as part of the war so far, certainly not to occupy territory. If Russia tries to turn Transinistria into a new staging ground for invasion, however, couldn't that open it up to being occupied?

I don't really understand the details of Romaina's relationship to Moldova, but given that they're in NATO, it seems like anything to do with Transinistria will just create another point of possible NATO involvement that has to be managed to avoid escalation.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

PederP posted:

It would be far from me to steer this further into domestic US politics, but I think it is important to point out that not every US politician with Kremlin-friendly/appeasing talking points is a Russian asset. In fact, I strongly believe the majority are Koch assets. That family is highly invested in Russia - and by extension the regime (you don't get to do big business in Russia without the siloviki getting their share). Every day this war goes on with Russia being increasingly isolated and weakened, is a day they lose money. A lot of money. I'm honestly surprised they haven't been able to exert a stronger influence on the administration and congress. I guess the combined coffers, prestige and influence of parties with an interest in the US supporting Ukraine are strong enough to prevent this. A lot of the time it is portrayed like Germany is the only country with industries that are deeply reliant on Russia - but certain US-based conglomerates, most notably Koch, are every bit as exposed to Russia. And that adds an additional vector for pro-Kremlin nonsense - now that the paid Russian assets are most likely formerly paid.

The Kochs aren't nearly as powerful as they were. David was the one that pushed a lot of their political activity and with him dead, Charles has scaled back their funding and apparatus pretty heavily. This is evident in Wisconsin which was their play thing for the last 25 years with the GOP there having trouble with funding raising because the money spigot dried up. Granted the damage they did will take decades to fix, if ever.

No doubt they will continue to give to various people/groups to protect their business interests but the days of the Kochs funding/running the GOP is over. There isn't a Koch or Sheldon Adelson now that are funding huge apparatus and having huge sway.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mokotow posted:

Traveling from Warsaw to Berlin right now. Unlike two months ago, there are almost no Ukrainians heading west on the highway and no russian or Belarusian trucks at all. I did however see two trucks from Kazakhstan, which I never saw before in Poland. My guess is these are re-registered russian trucks.

Regarding gas, listening to our media, no-one seems too worried. The common opinion seems to be we’ve been expecting the pipeline to shut down - the contract was planned to expire by the end of the year without prolonging and stopping gas now is just ripping the bandaid a bit earlier. Poland has 70% of reserves full after setting aside gas starting mid February.

I’m greatly enjoying the fact that Poland has better energy security and militarily logistics set up then Germany.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Nenonen posted:

They must have mixed the NATO council with the European parliament

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/SamRamani2/status/1519021596551307264

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Dolash posted:

Where would any soldiers in Transinistria actually go? Into Ukraine? Into Moldova?

Aside from some possible missile and air strikes, Ukraine hasn't actually crossed into Russia as part of the war so far, certainly not to occupy territory. If Russia tries to turn Transinistria into a new staging ground for invasion, however, couldn't that open it up to being occupied?

I don't really understand the details of Romaina's relationship to Moldova, but given that they're in NATO, it seems like anything to do with Transinistria will just create another point of possible NATO involvement that has to be managed to avoid escalation.
The most likely target seems to be the south section of Odessa. They just blew up the bridge to largely isolate it from the rest of Ukraine. Transinistris doesn't actually border that part of Ukraine, but I don't see Russia being bothered by annexing a bit more of Moldova in the process.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

SlowBloke posted:

They must have mixed the NATO council with the European parliament

Greece blocked North Macedonia's accession to NATO for years purely over the use of the name "Macedonia." Pettiness in European relations is de rigueur.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

Nenonen posted:

Well in the 90s there was Swedish-Danish-Norwegian UN force “Nordbat 2” in Bosnia that got nickname Shootbat because they had their own interpretation of UN RoE and ended up killing hundreds of Serbs after being attacked. While it didn’t happen in Croatia I think this time we’d better off finding some other solution.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_B%F8llebank

Zarlog
Dec 7, 2005

Zarlog, Protector of Baal

Pook Good Mook posted:

"I don't think my wife should be forced to use a carseat"

:drat:

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

How does this actually work? I mean, the same pipeline that delivers gas to Poland also delivers it to Berlin, correct? So they can't exactly stop sending gas through the pipe. Do they just tell Poland they're no longer allowed to have any of it?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Saladman posted:

He seems to have misspoke - he immediately says "well, part of the Soviet Union” immediately after saying "part of Russia". He’s still awful but that particular quote is missing the end of the sentence.

Well good. I guess he means that Mexico is technically entitled to invade the American Southwest then.

Have his immigration policy policy positions changed accordingly?

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Deteriorata posted:

Greece blocked North Macedonia's accession to NATO for years purely over the use of the name "Macedonia." Pettiness in European relations is de rigueur.

Yeah but that's totally reasonable.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/VolodymDubovyk/status/1519028189045084167

Ukrainian engineers work fast.

Edit-

Pablo Bluth posted:

The most likely target seems to be the south section of Odessa. They just blew up the bridge to largely isolate it from the rest of Ukraine. Transinistris doesn't actually border that part of Ukraine, but I don't see Russia being bothered by annexing a bit more of Moldova in the process.

Honestly, it's probably just to try and destroy another international rail route. I don't think Russia is going to send a naval invasion force to loop around Odesa, link up in Transnistria, then flank Odesa from the northwest. Not on any sort of a short term timetable, at least. Sure, put that out there to cause chaos or tie or defensive troops in the west or whatever, but it's some serious maneuvers that I don't Russia is capable of short term .

ummel fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 26, 2022

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

There's a difference between a NATO country blocking another country from joining NATO over something that country has control over (their own poo poo) vs. a country blocking another country from joining NATO over a third country that isn't a part of NATO and that no one in the discussion has any control over.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Nenonen posted:

Countries can be kicked out of NATO. Good luck on your own Croatia.

That would be my solution to that threat.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

His Divine Shadow posted:

Can they just kick croatia out?

There're probably less heavy-handed ways to go

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Gort posted:

There're probably less heavy-handed ways to go

what's the phone equivalent of like when 80s parents would whap their kid upside the back of the head just a little

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Bremen posted:

How does this actually work? I mean, the same pipeline that delivers gas to Poland also delivers it to Berlin, correct? So they can't exactly stop sending gas through the pipe. Do they just tell Poland they're no longer allowed to have any of it?
We can’t simply skim the gas from the pipe if we don’t pay for it in precious rubles

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Bremen posted:

Nope, Germany gets most of its gas from Nord Stream 1, which circumvents Poland through the Baltic Sea.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Honj Steak posted:

Nope, Germany gets most of its gas from Nord Stream 1, which circumvents Poland through the Baltic Sea.

It would really be a shame if it accidentally caught on fire in a control area, you know enough to shut it down for a while, but not cause an environmental disaster.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What the hell is this about Transnistra and Bosnia (popped up on my feed)?

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1518855509713039360?s=20&t=xay4vyOKb0kZGIbnPweJJg

https://twitter.com/KofmanMichael/status/1519027175369883654?s=20&t=xay4vyOKb0kZGIbnPweJJg

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Bremen posted:

That's how it works afaik. I have very little understanding of how the contracts on these pipes go and I bet they're really complex, but it looks like the pipe owning company pays rent to the countries it passes through according to the deals they have, gas companies pay usage fees to the pipe owning company, and the pipe company makes sure that the gas goes to the correct recipients.

Although Nord Stream 1 obviously exists so even if Poland on their part decided to close the line in response, there's still a direct pipe to Germany. Anyway, heating season is almost over so this seems like a short term symbolic gesture but a long term economic suicide. Probably the real purpose is to threaten Germany.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Honj Steak posted:

Doesn't the Yamal pipeline deliver gas to Germany too?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Key passages from that article (which suggests that the claims of a shootdown of a transport plane full of VDV was accurate):

quote:

As Russia launched its invasion, the U.S. gave Ukrainian forces detailed intelligence about exactly when and where Russian missiles and bombs were intended to strike, prompting Ukraine to move air defenses and aircraft out of harm’s way, current and former U.S. officials told NBC News.

That near real-time intelligence-sharing also paved the way for Ukraine to shoot down a Russian transport plane carrying hundreds of troops in the early days of the war, the officials say, helping repel a Russian assault on a key airport near Kyiv.

It was part of what American officials call a massive and unprecedented intelligence-sharing operation with a non-NATO partner that they say has played a crucial role in Ukraine’s success to date against the larger and better-equipped Russian military.

“From the get-go, we leaned pretty heavily forward in sharing both strategic and actionable intelligence with Ukraine,” a U.S. official briefed on the matter told NBC News. “It’s been impactful both at a tactical and strategic level. There are examples where you could tell a pretty clear story that this made a major difference.”

“There has been a lot of real-time intelligence shared in terms of things that could be used for specific targeting of Russian forces,” said a former senior intelligence official familiar with the situation. The information includes commercial satellite images “but also a lot of other intelligence about, for example, where certain types of Russian units are active.”

Ukraine continues to move air defenses and aircraft nearly every day with the help of American intelligence, which is one reason Russia has not been able to establish air dominance. In some cases, Ukraine moved the targeted air defense systems or planes just in time, the officials said.

“The Russian military has literally been cratering empty fields where air defenses were once set up,” one U.S. official said. “It has had an enormous impact on the Russian military’s ability on the ground.”

Once the invasion got underway, lawyers in the U.S. defense and intelligence bureaucracy imposed guidance that in some cases limited the sharing of targeting information that could enable lethal Ukrainian strikes against Russians. But as Russia’s aggression has deepened, and under pressure from Congress, all of those impediments have been removed, officials say.

Earlier this month, for example, the director of National Intelligence withdrew and replaced a memo that prohibited intelligence sharing for the purposes of regaining captured territory or aiding Ukrainian strikes in Crimea or the Donbas, officials said. NBC News was first to report on the expanded sharing.

The whole article is worth reading: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/national-security/us-intel-helped-ukraine-protect-air-defenses-shoot-russian-plane-carry-rcna26015

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Bulgaria joining Poland on Russia's 'We're not fired, we QUIT' list
https://twitter.com/soappman/status/1519036703218053120?s=20&t=NTSYIfz4FL3pO3Zy8KIq1A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Not an argument that gets much play, nor is it a criteria, but if a European war with Russia occurs, the ground war isn't going to occur in Germany, for instance, or France but in the east and the Baltics. So it would seem a useful question to ask is "can these fuckers fight?". It's clear Ukraine can, and historically, the Baltics have shown amazing mettle and their addition would strengthen deterrence. Which is the whole point of NATO. If I were a NATO military leader, I'd be pressing hard for their entrance, especially now.