Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Doomykins posted:

There's a lot of logic to FLs and they're surprisingly close to WoW BGs but a lot of it is built up as muscle memory by playing repeatedly.

Learning observation is incredibly important to avoid being overrun or pinched, etc. But you're also at the mercy of RNG, since your team may be full of a critical mass more of dummies, pvp sprouts or the worst: sulks on death. There's also a big element to focusing down targets of opportunity to build battle high across your side and ruin the enemy's momentum. I've seen many losing FLs recover on the strength of picking smart fights.

I've definitely gone from total confusion and a feeling of uselessness to regular top 5-10 damage with meaningful damage done and K/D ratio as far as my solo contribution.

Above all else: Sprint is the best defensive cooldown.

Also while it might take some coordination from your blob but try to engage the enemy while they are in a choke point and avoid engaging the enemy while you are in a choke point, otherwise you might get pounded by half a dozen perfectly placed Demi-Bahamuts with no escape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Hogama posted:

The new Ultimate title is "The Heaven's Legend".
Here's an album of the new weapons (they're all "of the Heavens" weapons with different, golden glows)
https://imgur.com/a/C632Pne

These look great. Too bad I'll never get one.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Cleretic posted:

Worth asking, does Battle High affect LBs?

Yeah, which is why you see White Mages getting such absurd healing totals at the end of the game, they're pumping out BH-boosted Purgation regens every fight.

As much as SMN and DRG get a lot of attention in Frontline, WHM is somehow even dumber there than it was in CC. You have Purgation almost every fight and the range 40y means you can just about always hit an entire enemy team with it no matter how they're spaced.

That said, I'm really impressed with the PvP adjustments for CC, along with how quickly they pumped them out. The changes were targeted but measured; along with the bugfix where Miracle of Nature ate ground effects WHM shouldn't be quite as oppressive any more.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Just did another frontlines. 4/2/28 k/d/a. I don't kill a lot of people myself, but I do hit the people who are about to die a lot. We won, too, which is always nice. There were a few times that basically our entire murderball was killed. Two of those I did not escape.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Despite only getting to about halfway through phase 1 the new ultimate is pretty fun. Dunno how often I'll take a crack at it but I hope I can beat it one day. I'm also interested in trying out the older ultimates now.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

super behind the times but, FYI for anyone who doesn't really do ex/savage stuff but wants to do faux hollows: ultima unreal is insanely easy

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Badger of Basra posted:

super behind the times but, FYI for anyone who doesn't really do ex/savage stuff but wants to do faux hollows: ultima unreal is insanely easy

I mean Ultima’s Bane at launch wasn’t particularly difficult at min ilevel. It’s probably the easiest of all ARR ex content by a good margin.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

Thanks, I always put off new extremes for way too long out of anxiety. This'll be the first time I actually engage with faux hollows.

The anxiety is there even though I ran Ultima back when it was current content

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
As a fellow anxiety guy, the sooner you do the new extremes the better. Groups are far more patient, and learning is a lot more pleasant experience in the first week or so.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
If you want to win new Frontlines have a setup time macro that tells everyone to switch to Summoner and remind them they get XP on the class they queued as for incentive. I've managed to convince a few people to switch because they didn't realise that's how it works.

Also you can't do anything to live if you get focused now so make a target macro and aim it at their people with BH5.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

hazardousmouse posted:

Thanks, I always put off new extremes for way too long out of anxiety. This'll be the first time I actually engage with faux hollows.

The anxiety is there even though I ran Ultima back when it was current content

It’s exactly the same as the old ultima down to tank lb3 trivializing the third aetheric boom. It took us two pulls and I think 6 or 7 of the other people had never done Ultima’s Bane at level.

If you did it during ARR, it just takes a minute to remember everything and then its easy.

Also your tanks will probably die.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Griz posted:

that's what was intended all along. low level healer DPS spells were supposed to be reduced in MP cost but they accidentally gave Aero 2 the potency/duration from Dia along with the reduced MP.

Oh. I don't know healer names on sight so I thought the mp reduction was on stuff still used at max level. Like how a change to a Summoner skill required editing four different abilities because they keep replacing it.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Badger of Basra posted:

It is, though it does have one part where most pf groups are better off using a tank LB to ignore the mechanic rather than trying to do it properly.

I hear UW Unreal has the old enrage but I have yet to see it happen, even in parties that limp to the end with 8-10 deaths.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Badger of Basra posted:

How much of it do I have to do to get the mount? I saw a picture of it and it looks so doofy, I want it

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Varies. You play a flip the tiles game after a kill to see how much currency you get. Probably 6-8 weeks of tells / retells on average?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Thundarr posted:

It is, though it does have one part where most pf groups are better off using a tank LB to ignore the mechanic rather than trying to do it properly.

I hear UW Unreal has the old enrage but I have yet to see it happen, even in parties that limp to the end with 8-10 deaths.

I assume everyone does the tank LB3 thing because it trivializes the fight and you don’t need it for dps so why do it the hard way

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Yeah, Ultima Unreal is insanely lenient on DPS, you can have half the party die on every ball + the airships with lasers and as long as you revive you're good to go.

Which fits with how easy the original was, but it's jarring given Shiva and Titan Unreal had actual DPS checks in their fights.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I did Unreal Leviathan. Ultima is NOTHING.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Thundarr posted:

I've had a 2% enrage but we had a ton of deaths, this unreal is ridiculously easy. You can basically sight read everything but like two or three mechanics if you have a basic grasp of the game, and one of them comes really quickly in the fight so you learn it real fast.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

As a fellow anxiety guy, the sooner you do the new extremes the better. Groups are far more patient, and learning is a lot more pleasant experience in the first week or so.
Always get on new hard content ASAP. The longer you wait to get your first clear the more likely it is the people joining your group are in fact the reason none of their groups can clear.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I do wish there was some mechanism to encourage people to help others with first-time clears, like a once-a-week loot bonus or something, but it's hard to think of a way to construct a system that wouldn't be either abused or considered mandatory for progression raiders.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Mentor roulette

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

hazardousmouse posted:

Mentor roulette

Even if it applies to current tiers, I think the overwhelming majority of people on NA datacenters use PFs over the Raid Finder.

boloney
May 29, 2021

Vermain posted:

I do wish there was some mechanism to encourage people to help others with first-time clears, like a once-a-week loot bonus or something, but it's hard to think of a way to construct a system that wouldn't be either abused or considered mandatory for progression raiders.

Second Chance points and extra tomestones

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
There's a tomestone bonus for everyone involved in a first-time clear, even in pf.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

There's a tomestone bonus for everyone involved in a first-time clear, even in pf.
Last week I hopped into a weird last minute p1s group before the lengthy patch maintenance; I think most of the group had p4s on farm and was just doing it for the lulz, so after p1s we all hopped right into p2s. they asked if I knew certain barse strategies and I said nope and there is zero chance I would successfully execute them. We cleared it on the second pull - and then we noticed we all got a reward for someone's first clear! One of the guys that cleared p1s with us silently tagged along and got carried out of the p2s duty incomplete ghetto. I tip my hat to him.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Sure, but I don't think that it's a sufficiently incentivizing reward for the difficulty of the content considering the ease of capping tomestones every week.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

Vermain posted:

it's called having friends

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Trash Ops posted:

it's called having friends

See now this is my problem

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I don't think there would be a balanced reward for clearing stuff. Like the Aphorism tomestones are great for alt gear now that the 590 crafted gear is out, but if you don't need alt gear, what's left?

Anything better for an extreme trial would be bonkers, and Savage gear has its own set of limits. I'm unimaginative but I can't think of a good reward that's also balanced and not mandatory for prog.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
The current EX and unreals are the easiest they've had in a while, this is the absolute best time to dip your toes into PF

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

It's hilarious how they said EX3 was gonna be a grueling fight and so they give 2 totems per clear and then it turns out... it's a slightly long but easy fight where you see every single mechanic by 50% HP. Kinda smells like they cut some corners there.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://twitter.com/MattBodega/status/1518961122186981378?s=20&t=-1kL4WpTUm0AkLLycraLzg

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

When they kill you? That should be our LB sound effect.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Speak for yourself, I want careless whisper as a LB sound effect.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

the sad trombone from the price is right.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Badger of Basra posted:

insanely easy you say...

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

it really is babytown frolics

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

super sweet best pal posted:

Speak for yourself, I want careless whisper as a LB sound effect.

PvP bards should never shoot arrows. All of their attacks should be different instruments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

HackensackBackpack posted:

PvP bards should never shoot arrows. All of their attacks should be different instruments.

found an example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJapzzKbEJ0