Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Bike voltigeur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

More of that design

https://twitter.com/DE_Gifford/status/1518954363682803712?t=TYmYjMcfEJCKWYUj_qil_Q&s=19

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

WaryWarren posted:

yeah, I'm in the process of moving from Roch to the cities. I've driven this stretch of highway before, but this time I thought of this thread while doing so.

you should post with us in the minneapolis thread if you haven't already, it's pretty cool

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

mystes posted:

I ended up looking around some places in the UK on google maps/streetview and it's interesting how despite being fairly car-centric and having a relatively bad reputation for cycling infrastructure, it seems way better than the us simply by not having so many absolutely crazy stroads?

I don't know if this depends on the area, but where I was looking, it seems like almost all roads are at most one lane in each direction until you get to either major arterials without any houses/stores along them or actual restricted access highways.

There still isn't the same level of clear bike routes or clear separation of car/pedestrian/bike traffic like in the Netherlands, but it still seems pretty different from the insane situation in the US where it's as if everything that isn't purely a dead end residential street has to have at least 4 lanes nowadays.

So even if it's not amazing, you still don't get the situation in the US where it's basically physically impossible to walk to a store because it's right across a high speed 4 lane road.

As a UK/Netherlands dude who has stood staring at the Target across the road from the hotel in suburban Virgina (I think?) with a crosswalk a mile up the stroad, this sounds pretty much right. The UK is car-centric, but it's been grafted on to a pre-car world for the most part. We still have people who go puce at the mention of bicycles of course.

I just got back from London, and even the larger roads don't feel as hostile as those images. Not sure how to describe it, it's like the road is at least somewhat part of everything, rather than "this is special car place, car only, look how straight and car-shaped, hands (feet) off!".

Helps that there's no such thing a jaywalking, so Londoners just treat the road as a place to be crossed where convenient.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

just walk, the hamburger people need to walk anyways

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

AnimeIsTrash posted:

cars are all bad

AnimeIsTrash posted:

This is me anytime I have to drive.

Cars............ not even once

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

mystes posted:

All the standards that engineers use are just completely hosed. Even in places that have repeated pedestrian deaths it's virtually impossible to fix because of that. It's completely infuriating.

I ended up looking around some places in the UK on google maps/streetview and it's interesting how despite being fairly car-centric and having a relatively bad reputation for cycling infrastructure, it seems way better than the us simply by not having so many absolutely crazy stroads?

I don't know if this depends on the area, but where I was looking, it seems like almost all roads are at most one lane in each direction until you get to either major arterials without any houses/stores along them or actual restricted access highways.

There still isn't the same level of clear bike routes or clear separation of car/pedestrian/bike traffic like in the Netherlands, but it still seems pretty different from the insane situation in the US where it's as if everything that isn't purely a dead end residential street has to have at least 4 lanes nowadays.

So even if it's not amazing, you still don't get the situation in the US where it's basically physically impossible to walk to a store because it's right across a high speed 4 lane road.

This sort of fits with what I have been thinking about Japan, specifically that it's pretty interesting that despite having almost no dedicated bike infrastructure it achieves a pretty high level of bikeability just by being designed for more walkable, not having euclidean zoning, and most roads that aren't toll highways or arterials being insanely narrow.

It's really crazy that the US and a few other countries that copied it have managed to fairly uniquely design themselves into this nightmare while so many other places have avoided it mostly accidentally despite being so car centric (which means for the other countries it will probably be much easier to fix if they want to).

even at the worst of the uk's full blown car centric planning there was always some deference to pedestrians (and to a lesser extent, cyclists). the first round of modern roads in the 1930s were built with high quality segregated cycle lanes in both directions:

a lot of these were lost to road widening schemes or just plain forgotten about until recently, but there's been a campaign to reclaim them. The one near me has been cleaned up and marked out like a new cycle lane.

the concrete paradise post war new towns were built around the car but with some attempts to make them usable without (Cumbernauld in was sold as having "no traffic lights, no pedestrian crossings, no parking meters" because they designed it so that pedestrians and cars were kept apart)

the worst car brained infrastructure didn't come about until the 1980s and 90s when they started building out of town shopping centres, retail parks and isolated housing estates. my nearest retail park was built in the mid 90s but it was another ten years before they added a single bike rack, despite it being very accessible by bike.

mystes
May 31, 2006

It may just partly be that there was so much less undeveloped land in the UK by the time car brain seriously kicked in, but even if I try to search for "shopping centre" on google maps in the UK it's just nothing compared to the insanity in the US.

A typical mall in the US looks like this:

The road to the right has like 6 lanes including turn lanes. You would die if you tried to bike there.

The problem is that probably MOST new roads (except for residential cul-de-sacs) created in the last several decades are garbage like that. You can't get anywhere without crossing tons of these. American traffic engineers think they're great.

If you're in a country that doesn't have this problem you're really lucky because it actually won't be that hard to undo the damage. It's already not impossible for walking/biking and if you make it a bit better and the number of people not using cars increases, it will get easier and easier to improve things.

In the US so many places are built in a way where you would be insane not to drive even if you want to bike/walk and even if magically everyone agreed that they wanted that it might not even be doable with the way things are currently designed (with people driving 20 miles to buy groceries)

mystes has issued a correction as of 21:06 on Apr 26, 2022

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/uncledoomer/status/1518735976922861571?s=20&t=PBIeUQeY9I48w8_i99y-9g

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

lmao why isn't there a zebra crossing from the island across the lane turning to the left

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

El Pollo Blanco posted:

lmao why isn't there a zebra crossing from the island across the lane turning to the left

Because it would slow down the cars.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

The biggest crime in history is the fact that pedestrians don't require insurance like drivers do. Imagine if a pedestrian just ran out into traffic and hit my car, whose going to pay for it? That piece of poo poo just waltzing around, uninsured, without a care in the world. Disgusting

mystes
May 31, 2006

Is there anything indicated where that intersection in the video is? Maybe it would make more (or less) sense looking at it on google maps

Edit: Eventually in the thread someone said "E. Canal St." so it looks like its this:
https://goo.gl/maps/JJcbQFokyUnDwdqw6

It actually seems significantly worse than it even looks from the video (lol)

The road at the bottom left of the video is a highway that I guess ends right there

mystes has issued a correction as of 05:00 on Apr 27, 2022

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

https://twitter.com/uncledoomer/status/1518735976922861571

https://www.facebook.com/neworleanscadillac/videos/5051795661575814/

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN has issued a correction as of 05:25 on Apr 27, 2022

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.

TeenageArchipelago posted:

The biggest crime in history is the fact that pedestrians don't require insurance like drivers do. Imagine if a pedestrian just ran out into traffic and hit my car, whose going to pay for it? That piece of poo poo just waltzing around, uninsured, without a care in the world. Disgusting

Sidewalks are not free so I reccomend that all pedestrians register their shoes with Shoe tabs yearly,

and since pets have 4 paws you need to register each pet as 2 people.

Bundle with pedestrian insurance

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

lmfao

is there anyone under the age of 80 buying a buick or cadillac

mystes
May 31, 2006

Xaris posted:

lmfao

is there anyone under the age of 80 buying a buick or cadillac
The dealerships should just be traps where they take away the license of anyone who enters

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Well there's your problem

https://twitter.com/mnolangray/status/1519068067573116929?t=fDD1HCFjeHrK671kBcC0eg&s=19

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
lmao my only hope for car safety at this point is threatening vigilante group scaring violent drivers to keep in line

mystes
May 31, 2006

Unfortunately American fire departments also want to only buy the biggest fire trucks they can so they demand that streets constantly be made wider.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

mystes posted:

The road to the right has like 6 lanes including turn lanes. You would die if you tried to bike there.

The problem is that probably MOST new roads (except for residential cul-de-sacs) created in the last several decades are garbage like that. You can't get anywhere without crossing tons of these. American traffic engineers think they're great.

There's a crosswalk here and multiple people still die going across every year, usually workers taking a bus to the poorly-placed stops. They don't even charge the drivers.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

mystes posted:

Unfortunately American fire departments also want to only buy the biggest fire trucks they can so they demand that streets constantly be made wider.

I saw the most badass little firetruck in rural Kentucky. It looked like they built it themselves -- just a truck with a big tank of water on the back.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

There's a crosswalk here and multiple people still die going across every year, usually workers taking a bus to the poorly-placed stops. They don't even charge the drivers.

lol look at how tiny those buildings look

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

thats because we're hamburger people

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

lmao my only hope for car safety at this point is threatening vigilante group scaring violent drivers to keep in line

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

It'll be shut down faster than any leftist group

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

WaryWarren posted:

I drove on the highway heading south of the Twin Cities last weekend. It's a four lane highway with a grass median, where it alternates between limited access (on/off ramps) and at-grade intersections. The speed limit is 65 mph but everyone was going 70-80 mph. What absolutely poor road design lol.

69 is the correct speed for 52.

That being said, the engineering of 52 just shows how much climate change is going to gently caress things up. I drive it every other week, including today! Drove in the insane fog that caused some fatal accidents a few months back. Great examples of people driving so terrible. Anything with wind is cause for consternation as well.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/HeatherCherone/status/1519362564534153216?s=20&t=rMBLeSHDgvp3osDEV7p3Tg
https://twitter.com/royalpratt/status/1519366112164696064?s=20&t=rMBLeSHDgvp3osDEV7p3Tg

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5QyCifgL4g

Car brain tells you that it's cool to threaten to shoot someone whose going to put a magnet onto your car. The punishment for petty vandalism is death, administered by Chudge Dredd

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Should have gotten his licence plate. What a piece of poo poo

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I saw the most badass little firetruck in rural Kentucky. It looked like they built it themselves -- just a truck with a big tank of water on the back.

A proper sized firetruck :hai:

NoU
Dec 31, 2008
https://twitter.com/JoeyKaotyk/status/1518973621670416384?s=20&t=B9Uhymup7zVzxKv9nPUZCw

Meanwhile, Americans will speed up to hit you if you're in a crosswalk

but I guess there needs to be a crosswalk first

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

lmao you jest but we just had the court case where a pedestrian was required to pay for the damage to the car that hit him.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5QyCifgL4g

Car brain tells you that it's cool to threaten to shoot someone whose going to put a magnet onto your car. The punishment for petty vandalism is death, administered by Chudge Dredd

The loving cops at the end are the cherry on top. “Oh well, we can’t really charge him because…”

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

what if we made fence posts mobile

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

NoU posted:

https://twitter.com/JoeyKaotyk/status/1518973621670416384?s=20&t=B9Uhymup7zVzxKv9nPUZCw

Meanwhile, Americans will speed up to hit you if you're in a crosswalk

but I guess there needs to be a crosswalk first

This is how you cross streets in Cambodia too. Locals will take pity and walk across with you when you stand there frozen at the edge of traffic. And as scary as it is, it actually works because A) everyone cooperates, and B) most vehicles are small and open, like motorbikes. There are lots of four-way intersections with no traffic lights or signs, and people breeze through them by simply slowing down and weaving around each other.

E: didn't even notice this was a crosswalk. I'm talking about crossing mid-street with no markings at all.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/izzystroobandt/status/1519835777093574658?s=20&t=lVIkNpTpz-rP3C3ght8Glw
https://twitter.com/izzystroobandt/status/1519835783099736065?s=20&t=lVIkNpTpz-rP3C3ght8Glw

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
It should be no sweat for motorists to ignore a bicycle in an intersection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

More deaths per year than aids lol