Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Is there a well-maintained 'guide to good rimworld mods' anywhere? Alternatively, can people tell me their top-tier mods please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

redreader posted:

Is there a well-maintained 'guide to good rimworld mods' anywhere? Alternatively, can people tell me their top-tier mods please?

There are so many mods and so many different styles of mods and playing rimworld that It would be best if you laid out what you are looking for.

Like do you want realism with a bunch of granularity? We have that.

Do you want a spellslinging and fantasy type poo poo? We got that too.

Are you looking for content? UI mods?

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 26, 2022

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

As somebody who plays Rimworld with 400+ mods active, yeah first step is to decide what you actually want to do.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The Ratkin mod is #1 obviously

Azhais fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 26, 2022

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I know exactly which mods to reccomend under the assumption that your primary problems with Rimworld is that there aren't enough cute anime-style animal people in it.

Ratkins are indeed cute.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
There really is every flavor of mod. Someone was just recently asking if there were any Cthulhu-cult flavored mods and immediately got like five recommendations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Azhais posted:

The Ratkin mod is #1 obviously

They do have the most succulent flesh, yes.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Last time I went in for mods I got a bunch of Vanilla Expanded stuff. I liked the idea of putting more stuff in the game without fundamentally messing with what it was all about.

Except all I ended up with were dozens of crops and clothes and weapons that were no better than actual vanilla stuff. Basically a bunch of pointless clutter. In retrospect that's exactly what I signed up for, but it sounded cooler before I actually looked at all the weapons and clothes and crops and figured I didn't need any of them.

So I guess going forward I'd be more selective about stuff that does add something to the game. And that doesn't mean it needs to be game-changing, but just that if I'm going to get something that's largely aesthetic it better be because I actually like the aesthetic, and not because it's part of a giant pack like Vanilla Expanded.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Telsa Cola posted:

They do have the most succulent flesh, yes.
Technically they have very little of it. :pseudo:

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Asimo posted:

Technically they have very little of it. :pseudo:

That is what makes it a sweet and tender delicacy.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Manager Hoyden posted:

I realized my mod list has become an unmanageable mess and nothing is balanced for a good game anymore. I need to simplify. What is the generally accepted vanilla-plus-qol mod list? Like just things that improve the experience without changing it too much

I know this question has been asked a hundred times but I'm on mobile and searching isn't great

Here's an okayish guide to the performance impact of Rimworld mods with ratings for most of the big names. If you like large colonies, 30+ pawns, then consider only taking a couple of the high impact ones. On the other hand if you don't tend to push for dozens of pawns in a megabase or a huge map in the jungle then you can take pretty much anything you like.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Eiba posted:

Last time I went in for mods I got a bunch of Vanilla Expanded stuff. I liked the idea of putting more stuff in the game without fundamentally messing with what it was all about.

Except all I ended up with were dozens of crops and clothes and weapons that were no better than actual vanilla stuff. Basically a bunch of pointless clutter. In retrospect that's exactly what I signed up for, but it sounded cooler before I actually looked at all the weapons and clothes and crops and figured I didn't need any of them.

So I guess going forward I'd be more selective about stuff that does add something to the game. And that doesn't mean it needs to be game-changing, but just that if I'm going to get something that's largely aesthetic it better be because I actually like the aesthetic, and not because it's part of a giant pack like Vanilla Expanded.

Vanilla Expanded series has some really great mods and some really bloaty mods. The clothing, decor, and several of the foods ones are awful.

Of Vanilla Expanded, I like/use:
- Furniture Expanded (Medical, Spacer, Security, Art, Power
- Weapons Expanded (but none of the flavored ones)
- Fishing Expanded
- Cooking Expanded (base, not sushi/stews)
- Plants Expanded (none of the flavored ones)
- Brewing Expanded
- Events Expanded

As I love dealing with literal poo poo and making golden hot tubs, Dub's Hygiene is a great pick for me. Hospitality is a must. Prepare Carefully lets me embark with who I want. Alpha animals and biomes are real neat, though I'm trying a run without them.

cerhio
Feb 23, 2014
The VE gun mods just don't do it for me. If you're looking for something to fill the gaps in the vanilla game, try CE guns. Works great with CE.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

cerhio posted:

The VE gun mods just don't do it for me. If you're looking for something to fill the gaps in the vanilla game, try CE guns. Works great with CE.

Note: all your other weapon and armor mods probably won't work great with CE.

It's not going to crash like jamming RimThreaded into your list but there's a reason why most mods started to have a CE disclaimer in the FAQ.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

isndl posted:

Note: all your other weapon and armor mods probably won't work great with CE.

It's not going to crash like jamming RimThreaded into your list but there's a reason why most mods started to have a CE disclaimer in the FAQ.

Conversely way more mods than you think also have CE compatibility because the CE folks or someone who is a fan pushes a compatibility patch through and this is never spelled out on either mod page.

For example I had no idea rim of magic and alpha animals was CE compatible until I checked the github list.

Not to say that CE doesnt break a lot of mods, just that it might be worth checking the github to see which ones have patches.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Telsa Cola posted:

Conversely way more mods than you think also have CE compatibility because the CE folks or someone who is a fan pushes a compatibility patch through and this is never spelled out on either mod page.

For example I had no idea rim of magic and alpha animals was CE compatible until I checked the github list.

Not to say that CE doesnt break a lot of mods, just that it might be worth checking the github to see which ones have patches.

I never used CE myself but I read some complaints from someone who did write patches that there's no real guidelines for how to convert things so it's a hot mess of technically supported, especially after they added an auto patcher at some point to try and improve general compatibility. Apparently the mechanics CE is using are so inscrutable that nobody can really explain why some of the variables exist or how changing them affects gun feel. And that is why CE hard caps some guns to really short ranges, because they didn't have any other way to keep stuff like basic pistols from being too good for cost.

I hear Yayo's Combat is a very good candidate for a combat mod that sits somewhere between vanilla and CE, fully compatible with just about everything out of the box without relying on patching everything under the sun. Probably shaves minutes off your launch time compared to CE.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Here are some of the mods I would consider a must-have. It would take a huge amount of work linking the workshop for each so I wrote the mod names exactly as they are found in the workshop instead. Note that Rimpy is an external app.

100% Gameplay-related Must Haves :

Rimpy Mod Manager app and accompanying database: Makes it easier to organize mod order without having to constantly launch and relaunch the game.
Yayo's Combat 3 [Adopted]: General combat tweaks. Slightly more accuracy that scales better with shooting skill. Armor is more realistic and advanced armor can fully stop primitive weapons but wear and tear makes armor more vulnerable. You can also enable an ammo system/requirement for weapons if you are into that. (This is like CE but more compatible and not as deadly. If you are going to use Warcaskets, you need the Yayo's Combat Warcaskets mod and I'd recommend going to mod options then reducing armor effectiveness to 25%).
Common Sense: Configurable tweaks to make the AI act more rationally. Things like cleaning up an area before cooking or performing surgery in order to reduce chances of illness/infection.
Share the Load: Allows all pawns to prepare areas designated for construction work and deliver materials to them too.
Smarter Construction: Makes pawns build more rationally so they don't trap themselves or leave empty gaps where there should be stuff.
Smarter Deconstruction and Mining: Makes pawns try and avoid collapsing roofs while they deconstruct.
While you are Nearby: Makes pawns prioritize jobs that are nearby so they don't waste time walking back and forth all over the place.
Pick Up and Haul: Allows haul pawns to carry items in their pockets instead of just in arms.
While You're UP/PUAH+: Pawns automatically pick up and haul nearby items if there's a stockpile close to where they want to go next.
Just Ignore Me Passing: Prevents bystanders from interrupting construction work.
Replace Stuff: Lets you replace things by ordering new ones built on top of existing structures/furniture.
DontBlockDoor: Prevents pawns from dropping anything on doorways and prevent the door from closing.
Better Pawn Control: It does a lot of stuff but, at least for me, the most useful is an "emergency" button that makes all pawns stop what they are doing and run to whatever you designated as a safe area.
Smart Medicine: Lets you configure a lot of useful medical things. You can make doctors carry around medicine in their inventory, reserve the good medicines only for urgent care or treat patients without the need for a bed.
Dress Patients: Lets you command a pawn to dress up a patient who would otherwise be unable to do it themselves.
Achtung: More pawn control. Force pawns to prioritize whatever jobs you want, complete all work in an area, move in formation, etc.
Predator Hunt Alert: Warns you when a predator decides to eat your pet/friend, not just when it's already attacking it.
Blighted Alert: Warns you when your crops get blighted.
Convert Then Recruit: Less prisoner micromanagement.
Convert Then Enslave: Less prisoner micromanagement.
Release When Healthy: Less prisoner micromanagement.
Better Beggars: More sensible beggar quests. They'll ask for things like silver or booze instead of your plutonium bars or whatever.
Ugh You Got Me: More rational social fights. Makes bickering pawns stop fighting if they get seriously wounded, too beat up, etc. Bloodthirsty pawns might not stop though.
RimHUD: Better HUD. More pawn/animal info, less empty space.
Loading in Progress: Lets you load items onto transports that already have an ongoing load order, in case you forgot something.
[Kit] Graze up: Grazing animals consume a portion of grass based on their nutritional needs instead of always eating the entire plant.
Vanilla Ideology Expanded - Memes and Structures: More memes and structures for your ideology.
Vanilla Expanded - Ideology Patches: Patches for VE stuff.
Vanilla Expanded - Royalty Patches: Patches for VE stuff.
More Religious Origins: More styles and structures for your ideology.
Alpha Memes: Even more styles and memes for your ideology.
Less Arbritary Surgery (Continued): More reasonable surgery odds and failures. No more chopping limbs off when you were trying to implant a kidney.
No Version Warning: Some outdated mods work perfectly fine. This mod makes it so that those mods stop giving a version mismatch error. Check the mod's workshop page for compatibility.
RimSaves: Save manager with nice features like folders and preview images for your save files.
RIMMSqol: Tweak tool with several features like searching the map for any object, putting down path suggestions for pawns, and more importantly modifying item stats on the fly. Great for balancing any mod items that might be too out of line.
What's That Mod: Adds a label to item descriptions, letting you know where they came from.
Real Faction Guest: This is a must-have IF you use alien races. This makes it so that visitors from alien race factions are actually aliens and not just humans. Unfortunately, it is not compatible with the Empire mod, which I know a lot of people like.

The Performance Optimization Package:
I'm going to be honest, I have very little idea about the specifics of what these do so I won't mention them. But they are all supposed to help performance in some way.
Performance Optimizer
RuntimeGC[1.3]
Rocketman - Performance Mod

100% Graphics-related Must Haves :

Camera+: Much closer, configurable zoom to get in on the action.
Yayo's Animation: Adds a ton of simple but neat animations for everything pawns do. It's like night and day without this mod, seriously should be in the vanilla game.
HD Pawn Rendering: Removes a forced texture compression Rimworld implemented in 1.3 and lets you render pawns at higher resolutions (supported by many, many mods).
[NL] Facial Animation - WIP with [NL] Facial Animation - Experimentals OR Faces of the Rim - Facial Animation: Adds much more expressive facial features and facial animations to pawns. Available in anime or not so anime flavors but the former is more complete.
Callouts and Callouts Extended!: Makes pawns talk through snippets of dialogue that pop up over their heads. Different personalities have different bits of dialogue here and there.
Interaction Bubbles: Shows text bubbles when pawns perform a social interaction, describing the events above panws instead of in the log tab. Combines with Callouts.
World Map Beautification Project and World Map Enhanced: Massively improves world map graphics with much nicer trees, terrain, icons, etc. Offers patch support for a few biome mods too.
ClutterDoors (Continued): Changes the perspective of doors so they look more 3D. I think these are the best looking doors available.
Retextured Vanilla Apparel: Higher resolution upscales of vanilla apparel. You are going to need HD Pawns Rendering. These are a good base to combine with more apparel mods that might not cover all original graphics.
Any of jeonggihun's retextures, chosen as needed.: jeonggihun makes retexture mods for all sorts of mod furniture and they are really good at it.
Retextured Sculptures: Higher resolution versions of the vanilla sculptures.
Beautiful Bodies: High resolution pawn body. It follows vanilla proportions so it should be compatible with the vast majority of apparel mods.
IMOZOU Wounds: Fancy/cutesy designs for bandages and other wound graphics on pawns. I hate how the original bandaids look so this is a must have for me.
[CM] Ideology DLC Texture Upscale: Higher resolution versions of Ideology apparel and furniture.
Any of Erin's mods.: Erin is very good at making artwork that matches Rimworld's original style. They have a lot of animal mods and some cool decorative items too.
Vanilla Textures Expanded: Yet another mod that adds a ton of higher resolution versions of different items. They don't tell you exactly which ones but it's a LOT of them and the difference is noticeable.
VFME - Caravan Packs!: Backpacks for your caravan animals! Purely cosmetic but very cute mod.
No Beards: This is mostly if you use the Facial Animation mods or any other head mod that makes pawn's heads thinner.
Graphics Settings+: Makes mod textures look better by skipping Rimworld's compression... or used to. In practice, the mod is not working right now but it's still needed for textures in the .dds format. Rimpy can convert all mod textures to .dds, and that's supposed to help performance on some setups, but right now YMMV.

More mods that are really nice to have:

Suppression (Continued): Adds suppression mechanics to combat. Pawns under too much fire will duck and move slower, aim more slowly/worse and be slightly harder to hit.
Death Rattle Continued: Makes pawns agonize instead of dying instantly, which might give you time to save/freeze someone.
Tech Advancing: Rank up your colony's tech level after you research enough technologies in your current tier, reducing research penalties for more advanced stuff.
Friendlies Fight Fire: Visiting guests/allies/traders help put out fires.
Mass Replant: Choose an area to replant all the trees you uprooted.
Combat Readiness Check (Continued): Alternative, configurable algorithm to calculate raider strength. Less emphasis on colony wealth.
Architect Icons and Optional Icons for Architect Icons: Icons for the architect tab. Support for a lot of mods.
[Fuu] Punch Attack: Let's you order a barehanded attack for when you want to try and down enemies instead of killing them.
Custom Portraits: Customizable portraits that let you change portrait size, design, how pawns are displayed, etc...
Enemy Self Preservation: Individual raiders might try to flee when they get seriously hurt. It does make combat easier but it can be configured.
No One Left Behind: Fleeing raiders might try to pick up their downed friends and escape with them.
Character Editor: A more compatible alternative for EdB Prepare Carefully. Customize pawns in any way you want, including their apparel. It can be used at any point during the game too, which can be both useful to fix bugs but also cheaty if you get carried away.
Dubs Paint Shop: Lets you recolor walls, floors, furniture, apparel, etc... Very nice to add a little more customization to your colony.
Dubs Mint Minimap: Extremely useful minimap with many configurable options. Can display pawns, predators, enemies, plants, etc. Can be used to click and navigate, like any RTS game.
Linkable Doors: Makes a big door if you build two doors together.
StackXXL: Configure the stack size of any items.
Favourites!: Allows you to tag items as favorites or junk. Production bills can then use those tags to decide what items to smelt, etc...
Alpha Animals: A huge collection of very nicely made alien creatures, more often than not with interesting uses/challenges. You can find sheep that produce devilstrand instead of wool, battery-eating bugs, psychic foxes, teleporting dogs, etc.
LWM's Deep Storage with Rebalanced Deep Storage: Build all sorts of furniture that lets you store multiple items in one "tile" instead of leaving crap all over your stockpile's floor. Rebalanced makes sure that any other storage mod you might use is balanced similarly to LWM's, which makes pawns take time to pull items in/out of storage to make up for all the space you save.
[Fuu] Uncompromising Tribal Faction: Makes tribal factions a more credible threat with a set of new weapons and tactics.

Cool alien races:

Heyra The Horned: Medieval, horned humanoids with a japanese/korean aesthetic. They appear primitive at first but they have some really cool surprises up their sleeve including (huge spoilers) necromancy, power armor and transforming into dragons.
Anty the war ant race: They are ants bred for war and only war. Anty have fairly unique mechanics including queen ants and larva that grow super fast, a reliance on recycling bodies and weapons that more often than not inflict damage over time effects on enemies. Unfortunately, the translation is a bit wonky but they are still a really cool race. Super hostile.
NewRatkinPlus: Ratkin is one of the most popular races. Cute ratpeople that giant hamsters and medieval technology. They are usually friends with the player since their factions aren't very hostile.
Epona race Renaissance: Imagine Ratkin but centaurs. Got some late steampunk gear.
Paniel the Automata: Robots! Really fancy robots constructed with a custom menu that lets you choose a specialization, which materials you'd like to use for the body and how many compotents you'd like to spend in hopes of getting a good RNG result and a better AI. They drink chemfuel, they are really tough, they explode when they die and they have a dark, dark secret.

Hair and tattoo collection (up to taste):

Won hair_men
Won hair_women
Ameiro anime hairs
AFU女士发型_Women's hairstyles
AFU女士发型_Men's hairstyles
Vee Hairs
[1.3] Odz Hairs
[O21] Extended Hair
Lolidrop's hairshop
Gloomy Hair mk2
uselesshair
[O21] Vanilla Hair Retextured
Rimsenal - Hair Pack
Roo's Glasses Hairstyles
Roo's Accessory Hairstyles
Roo's Royalty Hairstyles
Roo's HD Hairstyles
Hamefura
Morphs Assorted: Hairs
Erin's Hairstyles - Redux
Tech Tattoos
Tribal Tattoos
Roo's Tattoos - Starter Pack

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

A more in game way that's less cheaty is the more roofs mod. It requires researching and building the roof types, and includes all sorts of neat logical additions like thick roofing, sunroofs for indoor natural gardens, and at the higher end solar paneling which can give lots of power but can be dropped through and requires controllers to network the power out of the panels.

In addition to that, the way it adds thick roofing is balanced as you have to maintain thick roofs like they are advanced technology. Meaning early game and mid game you won't want to plate an entire outdoors base in it but instead create chokepoints that force invaders to drop in so that you can fight them effectively/at least give you a chance instead of it being a hard wipe.

Ditto for solar roofing. You'll want an established base of dedicated workers like in Dwarf Fortress if you want to go that route, which makes it very handy for both late game major building expansions and modded games where you can create things like drones and automate the manufacture of components with factories and the like.

I'd highly recommend it,

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1512478761

Be aware that this is the old version of the mod. The continued version is still on the workshop but this gives you an idea of what's in it.

I'd highly recommend it. One caveat though. Never put special roofs on a space ship from Save our Ship 2 if you want it to not bug out in an amazing (and somewhat realistic given how space shuttles work) way.

Spoilers on a hilarious bug follow: Something about how the spacer roofing works in SoS2 means that the thick roofing, solar roofing, and sunroof roofing essentially catapults through the hull on take off or landing, create some serious damage and potentially even doing enough damage to sever a branch of the ship if it was at a narrow location. Just imagine someone trying to plate a space shuttle in thick, poorly anchored concrete that could punch through the hull on re-entry or orbital entry and you'll get why this is both hilariously destructive to whatever is in the ship and a total surprise to both players and the Save our Ship 2 mod makers. Who appear to have decided to leave it in by not fixing the bug.

Worst case scenario, an entire chunk of your ship gets left on the ground while individual rooms get taken to space with you. Which for pawns not equipped with vacuum protective gear is very much fatal.

And yes, I am one of the people who was utterly confused and going :wtf: at the sight of one arm of a massive space station I made suddenly getting violently disconnected from the rest of the ship and exposing the main transit way to vacuum to the fatal detriment of their pawns.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 26, 2022

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Det_no posted:

Here are some of the mods I would consider a must-have. It would take a huge amount of work linking the workshop for each so I wrote the mod names exactly as they are found in the workshop instead. Note that Rimpy is an external app.

Smarter Construction: Makes pawns build more rationally so they don't trap themselves or leave empty gaps where there should be stuff.
Smarter Deconstruction and Mining: Makes pawns try and avoid collapsing roofs while they deconstruct.

Are these still hell on your performance? Last I tried them they ran 8 billion checks a second or something whenever a construction job was on the table (i.e. 100% of the time).

marumaru
May 20, 2013

redreader posted:

go on the steam workshop and order by popular. scroll through a few pages for each of the periods of time: 1wk/month/3mos/yr

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

marumaru posted:

go on the steam workshop and order by popular. scroll through a few pages for each of the periods of time: 1wk/month/3mos/yr

I do this on occasion even when I don't have an active game. You always come back. Just favorite anything that looks interesting then when you go to play again pick some that sound like they'll be fun together. You can also use a mod manager and use colors so you can use like purple for sounds interesting and green for must have I refuse to play without or whatever.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for all of the replies, especially Det_no. Yeah the mods I'm looking for are less about adding new things and more about optimizing the game, adding new commands and customization. Not looking for new factions, weapons, etc. So stuff like the better surgery, do things while in an area, carry stuff in pockets, prioritize tasks in an area, etc, are exactly what I'm looking for!!!

My next game will look totally different.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

redreader posted:

Thanks for all of the replies, especially Det_no. Yeah the mods I'm looking for are less about adding new things and more about optimizing the game, adding new commands and customization. Not looking for new factions, weapons, etc. So stuff like the better surgery, do things while in an area, carry stuff in pockets, prioritize tasks in an area, etc, are exactly what I'm looking for!!!

My next game will look totally different.

take a look at collections too:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2775250115
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2676715111
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2791258290

i'd recommend not just subbing to every mod in the graphics collection though - there's a LOT of mods and some of them change a lot of how the UI works and the game looks, and i didn't love all of the changes. most of them are good though

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Det_no posted:

Paniel the Automata: Robots! Really fancy robots constructed with a custom menu that lets you choose a specialization, which materials you'd like to use for the body and how many compotents you'd like to spend in hopes of getting a good RNG result and a better AI. They drink chemfuel, they are really tough, they explode when they die and they have a dark, dark secret.
First, thanks for that huge effort post! I'll definitely be looking into a number of those options.

This mod though... it looks like a neat mod, mechanically. I like robots and I've been using Robot Tiers, which is nice but has a lot of issues I'm not happy with. This one seems like I'd like it, except... why are they all the same random anime girl?

I wouldn't even mind if they were slightly different anime girls. Or a more obviously robotic anime girl. But they're just a whole bunch of versions of this one character. Why? It's not even appealing as an indulgent cutesy anime thing unless you're really into that one design. If there was a sub-mod to give these robots more visual variety I'd definitely give this mod a try.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
My favorite robot mod is currently Rim Robots! which is super lightweight compared to most of the other android/robot mods and has a ton of customization. Adds 2 robot races; Mechanents who are basically human shaped mechanoids who have a bunch of different kinds of cool robot heads and run on Chemfuel or Uranium and Personae who are stereotypical human-looking.

Nowhere near as performance draining as Android Tiers and I really like the different Mechanent looks.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Mzbundifund posted:

Are these still hell on your performance? Last I tried them they ran 8 billion checks a second or something whenever a construction job was on the table (i.e. 100% of the time).

Can't say I ever noticed/checked so I'm not sure.

Eiba posted:

First, thanks for that huge effort post! I'll definitely be looking into a number of those options.

This mod though... it looks like a neat mod, mechanically. I like robots and I've been using Robot Tiers, which is nice but has a lot of issues I'm not happy with. This one seems like I'd like it, except... why are they all the same random anime girl?

I wouldn't even mind if they were slightly different anime girls. Or a more obviously robotic anime girl. But they're just a whole bunch of versions of this one character. Why? It's not even appealing as an indulgent cutesy anime thing unless you're really into that one design. If there was a sub-mod to give these robots more visual variety I'd definitely give this mod a try.

I dunno, maybe the art was commissioned. "Paniel" is presumably the model name in-universe so they all use the same chassis with only hair/eye/face variations.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Zore posted:

My favorite robot mod is currently Rim Robots! which is super lightweight compared to most of the other android/robot mods and has a ton of customization. Adds 2 robot races; Mechanents who are basically human shaped mechanoids who have a bunch of different kinds of cool robot heads and run on Chemfuel or Uranium and Personae who are stereotypical human-looking.

Nowhere near as performance draining as Android Tiers and I really like the different Mechanent looks.

It's interesting to pair this with the Self-Preservation mod; you then have humans who will flee if hurt, but mechanents/personae who don't give a gently caress. I had been annoyed with the lack of raid variability in late game (drop pod centipedes again, oh joy) so I turned off mechanoids, and this mod adds a more interesting version for me.

Only downside is that you can EMP stun lock them, they don't get resistance. Your colonists also feel icky taking them apart as they count as humanoids.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Zore posted:

Oh neat! Yeah this is probably more like what I'm looking for.

For a while I've been wanting to do a run with transhumanist tribals who start with a robot or two. Just really lean into the Rimworld premise of all these different levels of social complexity chaotically coexisting. A nature focused transhumanist ideoligon is a pretty fun concept to me- living in harmony with nature by removing humans from it as much as possible.

I had a go with Android Tiers, but it added a bunch of other junk I wasn't as into.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Archonex posted:

A more in game way that's less cheaty is the more roofs mod.

I actually tried that first, but the nests can only be placed under specifically overhead mountain, not thick roof.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I tried to generate dune by turning population and rainfall all the way down, and temp all the way up.

Actual tribals cannot exist, I'm convinced they will almost certainly instantly die because the poles are at permanent summer and there is almost no way to get wood for coolers or cooking or anything. A massive equatorial band is no growing season because it's too hot, hot enough to walk outside and die, probably. I saw a few 80°c tiles, which is hosed.

According to the wiki rats don't show up in extreme desert (the global biome) so you can't even pretend to revere maudib.

Doing a run with no mechs and maybe two pirates and one rough outlander could be cool, I might do it. Fremen aren't even at Neolithic, they gotta be borderline spacer, even if you want to claim they have a tribe like society.

I don't think there's a way to have no ocean with vanilla?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
bad hygiene could help bridge that a little I think. Changes passive coolers to burning water instead of wood to keep running (still need wood to build them tho), and you could also turn on water needs for your pawns. there's also an option to make the well generation a bit harsher along with irrigation options.

Obviously needing water would make things harsher, but the passive coolers are more realistic that way, and would give something more sustainable. Cooking would still be an issue.

Clearly we need to find a peat/dung burning mod. And burning corn cobs.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.

Det_no posted:

Here are some of the mods I would consider a must-have.
Thanks for posting this bigass list man. I've been playing one colony for months now, it was the second colony I made after buyin the game, and it's almost reached the point where it can launch a spaceship, so I've been really interested in what mods to slap on for the next colony I make. I didn't really know where to start with mods though since there are a billion of em, so this list is gonna be a great starting point.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

get pawnmorpher so you can forcibly mutate captured tribals into rhinos

if they won't spawn on the map...

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Eiba posted:

A nature focused transhumanist ideoligon is a pretty fun concept to me- living in harmony with nature by removing humans from it as much as possible.

In that case, why not go for a 1 human, 2 mechanents start, the RP being that the human is going to use robots to accomplish their goals. Either you can go full "murder all other humans while I clean this world!" or you can be very picky with who you ally/recruit.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Do pawnmorpher animals mate? Only with other former humans or any old wild critter?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

HelloSailorSign posted:

In that case, why not go for a 1 human, 2 mechanents start, the RP being that the human is going to use robots to accomplish their goals. Either you can go full "murder all other humans while I clean this world!" or you can be very picky with who you ally/recruit.
lol, I was imagining a more benevolent kind of self-isolation when I said remove humans- using technology to tread lightly and have less of an impact- but I realize this is Rimworld and your interpretation is far more straightforward in the logic of the world. Also its own intriguing idea for a play-through.

I like the idea of starting as a group of tribals, living off the land, hunting, etc. but under the guidance/influence of their robot buddy, eventually transitioning to ethical nutrient paste, and using machines to make themselves more comfortable. Eventually they'll be going out into pristine nature to meditate under the anima tree, and then return to their futuristic camp with their bio-sculptor pods and neural accelerators. It's not entirely coherent, but the base game lets you do it, so I figured spicing things up with robots and such would be fun.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

If you use Prepare Carefully, there is a, "Tribal God" backstory for the mechanents/personas.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Man, illness kinda takes away the will to keep playing your colony if it hits early on, doesn't it? Just got my main colonist down with the flu, which was manageable, but now I got two cases of gut worms AND one's also hit with fibrous mechanoids (which I know is supposed to be a blessing in disguise, but the pain level's piling up and now I have nobody capable of tending those mechanoids to keep them from getting pain-shock serious). I know losing's supposed to be fun in this game, but one thing's seeing your last living colonist carried away by raiders as the base is set on fire and another's seeing your last healthy colonist get food poisoning because everyone else is writhing in bed. If you have doctors available it becomes a tedious game of watching number go up and hoping immunity beats infection, and if you don't might as well call it quits.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

When is Dubwise going to make a doodoo-based ideology

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

No fecal waste nearby -10