Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

~Coxy posted:

Were you ever into Nintendo DS / Ouendan?

That sounds a bit like Morning Musume – "Koi no Dance Site" (恋のダンスサイト, Koi no Dansu Saito) which would be a plausible earworm for someone not otherwise into J-pop.

No that's not it. The meow meow meow bits - I'm 99% sure they were literally saying meow meow meow. I also suspect it was in Cantonese from context. It may have been Korean, but I'd put my money on Cantonese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
There was a stand alone comic from I think the mid 2000s of a few Final Fantasy VII characters and Vincent is drunk off his rear end. It was a pretty silly art style, but you could still tell who everyone was. The only two things I distinctly remember was Vincent drunkenly saying something along the lines of "I can jack bitches up... with my feet" while showing off his weird pointy shoe and then him tackling Yuffie when she came into the comic and the sound effect of them making out being OM NOM NOM. Also I think Yuffie then stuffs more booze down his throat? Not super positive on that part
I know this is a long shot, but it would entertain me to no end to re-see it

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Pomme de Terror posted:

Vincent. . . Yuffie. . . them making out

Yuffie is a child and Vincent is a middle-aged/old man. He looks younger 'cause of science magic but he's around the same age as Hojo; he's already an adult when Sephiroth was conceived. I googled and apparently their canonical ages during FF7 are 16 and 57.

Anyways, I found it and it was :pedo:worse than I imagined.:pedo:

It was on a lifestream.net thread, which is apparently a website dedicated entirely to ff7 and also apparently still exists (though it seems like it maybe gets a single digit number of posts per day). I thought these forums were old dead and gay but I wonder what it's like to still be posting on a forum dedicated to a game made twenty-five years ago?

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!

DontMockMySmock posted:

Yuffie is a child and Vincent is a middle-aged/old man. He looks younger 'cause of science magic but he's around the same age as Hojo; he's already an adult when Sephiroth was conceived. I googled and apparently their canonical ages during FF7 are 16 and 57.

Anyways, I found it and it was :pedo:worse than I imagined.:pedo:

It was on a lifestream.net thread, which is apparently a website dedicated entirely to ff7 and also apparently still exists (though it seems like it maybe gets a single digit number of posts per day). I thought these forums were old dead and gay but I wonder what it's like to still be posting on a forum dedicated to a game made twenty-five years ago?

Oof, didn't realize the age gap was so bad (havent actually played 7). Just remembered reading the comic as a teenager and finding it funny. Thanks for finding it anyhow

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now
I've been trying to find an old photo and/or details about and old photo I saw years ago on a site like https://www.shorpy.com.

It was an old mine in the US (i think) where, instead of a lift shaft, there were a series of oscillating boards that went up and down and in order for a miner to ascend or descend they had to keep switching between the boards. The description of the photo pointed it how dangerous it was etc.etc. but in the years since I've it every search for it just returns Minecraft stuff which makes me think I've either hallucinated it or dreamt it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

mr_jolly posted:

I've been trying to find an old photo and/or details about and old photo I saw years ago on a site like https://www.shorpy.com.

It was an old mine in the US (i think) where, instead of a lift shaft, there were a series of oscillating boards that went up and down and in order for a miner to ascend or descend they had to keep switching between the boards. The description of the photo pointed it how dangerous it was etc.etc. but in the years since I've it every search for it just returns Minecraft stuff which makes me think I've either hallucinated it or dreamt it.

Sounds like a paternoster lift which was continually circulating and you had to step on or off at the exact right time or get squished

E: looks like there was another kind called a Man Engine https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_engine

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 25, 2022

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Wikipedia calls it a “man engine”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_engine

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now
Oh wow that's it! Thank you both, you've no idea how many searches I'd made only to be met with Minecraft results!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Holy shitballs these things were a death trap. Each side only went up and down a short distance over and over so you had to hop from side to side like a loving platform game

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Holy shitballs these things were a death trap. Each side only went up and down a short distance over and over so you had to hop from side to side like a loving platform game

the wikipedia article claims it was safer than the other option, climbing a really tall ladder

it does seem like madness though

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Id be delighted to ride that thing if I were a ww1 era conscripted coal miner in England who had to keep working forced labor in the mines a full 2 years after the war ended and had to walk some thirty minutes hunched over in darkness to the coal face because the mine ceiling above you was only ever some 4 feet high and ripping your back flesh to shreds because the man engine would be the least nightmarish part of my workday and also offered one of the swiftest deaths if you did get mangled or fall

gently caress mining

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now
I remember one of the things i thought of when i first saw it was what do you do if you're going up but someone else is coming down.

Followed by "gently caress that, I can't even do a ladder"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mr_jolly posted:

I remember one of the things i thought of when i first saw it was what do you do if you're going up but someone else is coming down.

Followed by "gently caress that, I can't even do a ladder"
Presumably one of them gets off at one of those platforms in the background and waits until the other goes past.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

They make it look so easy here!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

They make it look so easy here!
Bad day when you absent-mindedly go left four times.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

shadow puppet of a posted:

Id be delighted to ride that thing if I were a ww1 era conscripted coal miner in England who had to keep working forced labor in the mines a full 2 years after the war ended and had to walk some thirty minutes hunched over in darkness to the coal face because the mine ceiling above you was only ever some 4 feet high and ripping your back flesh to shreds because the man engine would be the least nightmarish part of my workday and also offered one of the swiftest deaths if you did get mangled or fall

gently caress mining

Hello fellow Road to Wigan Pier reader!!

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

A Strange Aeon posted:

Hello fellow Road to Wigan Pier reader!!

lol gently caress no i watched a 3 minute youtube

gently caress reading.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

shadow puppet of a posted:

lol gently caress no i watched a 3 minute youtube

gently caress reading.

Spoa reading is how you differentiate between the good and the bad canned soups

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
The most amazing culture shock I ever experienced was my first day walking around the University of Leicester campus, on my second day in the United Kingdom, and discovering my program's building had a motherfucking paternoster instead of an elevator

I cannot say I "literally thought I was hallucinating/insane" or whatever, as I had no doubt that what I was seeing was real, but I absolutely just froze and stared at it, wondering how in the world something that seemed 100% fake was something I apparently needed to get on in order to talk to the department staff.

Edit: OH NO IT WAS DECOMMISSIONED IN 2017, CATASTROPHE

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
Think my Chemistry teacher went there, or at least to a university which had a working paternoster. She told us this in the late 90s so I'd assume that must have been late 80s to early 90s.

Apparently students, being the dumb fucks they always have been, would sometimes stay in the up side as it disappeared into the ceiling on the top floor and moved over to the down side. This did occasionally mangle people.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

You can ride on at the Gröna Lund amusement park in Stockholm. It's at the entrance to the Fun House, the oldest ride in the park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn10aErrE7M

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
I used to listen to internet radio on WinAmp. one of the channels that i frequently listened to was called "Evil Dildo Radio" and they played a bunch of stuff that was mostly the stuff, mixed up, and on a rotation with some change-ups every now and again. There was a techno song was either called "Mind Meld" or that was the name of the album or the band? It has no vocals, or spoken word samples. In the break there's just some kind of string instrument which I *think* is a guquin?

The beat has been going through my head every now and again for the last uhhh this was right before around when Government was cracking down on internet radio stations so... twenty years? I've never been able to find it. I feel like Al Bundy in that one episode whenever I think about it.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Who was looking for the Fred Rogers show Old Friends, New Friends? The most recent episode of the podcast Decoder Ring has some excerpts from the episode with Lee Strasberg. I don't know if that's one of the available ones but if not maybe it's a lead?

https://slate.com/podcasts/decoder-ring/2022/04/we-dont-really-know-what-method-acting-is

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I remember a blog being posted years ago in GBS.it was a guy who bought a house from a bunch travelers. The house was an absolute nightmare, water came out of the electric outlets, some of drywall was ckalk, etc.

He couldn't find the actual people who made the house because all the contractors were shell companies , so he had no one to sue to get his money back, he had fix all the stuff himself.

Was always curious how that l worked out, but couldn't find the guy I was looking for. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I remember a blog being posted years ago in GBS.it was a guy who bought a house from a bunch travelers. The house was an absolute nightmare, water came out of the electric outlets, some of drywall was ckalk, etc.

He couldn't find the actual people who made the house because all the contractors were shell companies , so he had no one to sue to get his money back, he had fix all the stuff himself.

Was always curious how that l worked out, but couldn't find the guy I was looking for. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Hoodwinked House?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
A tv show or movie where someone is having to move locations and brings their potted plant with them like it's a pet. It's on the tip of my tongue

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

A tv show or movie where someone is having to move locations and brings their potted plant with them like it's a pet. It's on the tip of my tongue

Hot Fuzz?

Duckwaffle
Nov 8, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

Leon: the professional?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Duckwaffle posted:

Leon: the professional?

A potted *plant* not a portman.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

This is almost certainly it, thank you!

Mr. Yuk
Apr 1, 2005

In case of accidental ingestion, please consult a mortician.
Does anyone have a link to the old SA video of the eyeroll emoji puking smaller versions of itself and then rolling down a hill set to Phillip Glass?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Mr. Yuk posted:

Does anyone have a link to the old SA video of the eyeroll emoji puking smaller versions of itself and then rolling down a hill set to Phillip Glass?
Fortunately that is in my Favorites and I just watched it recently enough to remember Schmuckfeatures made it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfelqZpapZA

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

God that might be it

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Milo and POTUS posted:

There's probably a LOT of examples, it's been a bit of a trope since at least the 70s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRzNUNESH04

Mr. Yuk
Apr 1, 2005

In case of accidental ingestion, please consult a mortician.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Fortunately that is in my Favorites and I just watched it recently enough to remember Schmuckfeatures made it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfelqZpapZA

Thank you so much! I couldn't find it anywhere.

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street
A small series of puzzles depicting weird sci-fi scenes in diorama form, composed of miniatures. This would have been the late 70's. The aliens and robots depicted were very zany 50's-60's style. I would like to revisit these memories.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Hugo Boss commercial with the voiceover guy going "I'm gonna make you the boss!!"

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Im looking for this article about an english guy who opened a restaurant with effectively zero experience because he liked to cook elaborate meals at home.

He did like 3 days at a mates kitchen and then put himself into crippling debt and chased sunk costs, lost his family home, etc.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

Poohs Packin posted:

Im looking for this article about an english guy who opened a restaurant with effectively zero experience because he liked to cook elaborate meals at home.

He did like 3 days at a mates kitchen and then put himself into crippling debt and chased sunk costs, lost his family home, etc.

Was it this?
https://torontolife.com/food/restaurant-ruined-life/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Yes! Thank you! Canadian, not English.