Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Any ideas for a 4 year old (still pooping his pants) who has diarrhea that is causing his bottom to get so irritated that he won’t let us touch him to wipe him? He was screaming last night and I have no idea what to do beyond letting him go all night with a poopy butt, which will only defer the eventual need to deal with it and also will cause his bottom to feel even worse. Won’t take diaper cream, won’t let us wipe, wash, nothing. Don’t want to trick him because then he certainly won’t let us, ever again, and would like to avoid holding him down while the other parent wipes him against his will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

life is killing me posted:

Any ideas for a 4 year old (still pooping his pants) who has diarrhea that is causing his bottom to get so irritated that he won’t let us touch him to wipe him? He was screaming last night and I have no idea what to do beyond letting him go all night with a poopy butt, which will only defer the eventual need to deal with it and also will cause his bottom to feel even worse. Won’t take diaper cream, won’t let us wipe, wash, nothing. Don’t want to trick him because then he certainly won’t let us, ever again, and would like to avoid holding him down while the other parent wipes him against his will.

Gentle rinse in the shower? Luke-warm bath?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

morothar posted:

Gentle rinse in the shower? Luke-warm bath?

He let us do that last night but won’t let us do it now.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

He let us do that last night but won’t let us do it now.

Hose or sprinkler?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
In todays episode of 2 year old logic: choosing a plain uncooked tortilla over a freshly baked chocolate chip cookie

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

in_cahoots posted:

Hose or sprinkler?

My wife’s squeeze bottle she used after giving birth, to clean where she had perineal tears. He finally did let me use that while he sat on the toilet, but had to promise him we would set up the little mini bounce house he’s been on about.

But he absolutely refuses to let me do even Vaseline. Don’t know why. He’d rather deal with repeated painful bowel movements that make it even worse when wiped, than even think about the minute possibility that he won’t have to go through that pain.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The worst mental pain is when I sacrifice making a meal the way I want it, and instead make it the way my daughter'll actually eat it...

...and then she won't eat it!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Just went through the first illness with my kid. Took 9 months to finally get sick, but it happened. Poor little guy did not have fun taking his medicine. Can't wait to do this several more times over the next several years.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

GoutPatrol posted:

Can't wait to do this several more times over the next several months or weeks.

Fixed that for you.

I think I joined the weird voice loss illness crew today.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Brawnfire posted:

The worst mental pain is when I sacrifice making a meal the way I want it, and instead make it the way my daughter'll actually eat it...

...and then she won't eat it!

I feel you

My son has taken to demanding foods a certain way, and once he gets the food he divvies it up and try to shove it onto Mom's and my plate.
"No! This food is for you!"

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

My wife’s squeeze bottle she used after giving birth, to clean where she had perineal tears. He finally did let me use that while he sat on the toilet, but had to promise him we would set up the little mini bounce house he’s been on about.

But he absolutely refuses to let me do even Vaseline. Don’t know why. He’d rather deal with repeated painful bowel movements that make it even worse when wiped, than even think about the minute possibility that he won’t have to go through that pain.

At some point you have to do what's best for them. My wife and I have teamed up on our kids at least once or twice, one of us holding them down while they get wiped and creamed. It loving sucks but it's better than sepsis from raw, bleeding diaper rash that let some poo poo inside the bloodstream.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

D34THROW posted:

At some point you have to do what's best for them. My wife and I have teamed up on our kids at least once or twice, one of us holding them down while they get wiped and creamed. It loving sucks but it's better than sepsis from raw, bleeding diaper rash that let some poo poo inside the bloodstream.

Yup. It sucks but hygiene and safety issues are non negotiable.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Ahh, it's so nice that he's quietly squatting there, playing with his toy. He's got a whole little world in there just captivating him, he's been at it for like ten min--oh gently caress, he's pooping, isn't he

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

At what age do kids begin having what adult-me would recognize as "friends"

I have a bunch of friends who I've known since I was 2 or 3 but I'm beginning to recognize that those relationships exist because of the length of time of familiarity, not because we "became friends" at 2

Watching my daughter in the toddler playground looks like the kids are playing "near" each other, rather than "with" each other. Do "friends" start at about 4? Is that about right? I think my nephew had preferences for classmates starting around 3.25 but seemed to be forced, by his parents asking him questions directly

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Yeah around 4 is right - and expect those friendships to still have arguing and being ‘mean’ to each other and some parallel play still. They’re still transitioning into theory of mind and recognizing that other kids are people with thoughts and preferences. By kindergarten they’re much more solid on friends and friendships.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

D34THROW posted:

Yeah. That was gonna be a last resort for sure, but if it needed to be done I was and am willing to do it. The squeeze bottle worked well after a few rinses and didn’t hurt him, and he didn’t have a lovely bottom last night before bed at all, so hopefully he has a chance to begin healing from the rash. Breaks my heart to see him in so much pain.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

"I am awake! I can smell, I can talk, I can see, I can hear..."

"Can you walk? Like, get out of bed and walk?"

"Yeah, but my legs are cozy."

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Hadlock posted:

At what age do kids begin having what adult-me would recognize as "friends"

I have a bunch of friends who I've known since I was 2 or 3 but I'm beginning to recognize that those relationships exist because of the length of time of familiarity, not because we "became friends" at 2

Watching my daughter in the toddler playground looks like the kids are playing "near" each other, rather than "with" each other. Do "friends" start at about 4? Is that about right? I think my nephew had preferences for classmates starting around 3.25 but seemed to be forced, by his parents asking him questions directly
My older daughter was a social butterfly early on, and her baby sister used to get jealous that she would become the Third Wheel in playgrounds. This was at like 3ish.

Now it's flipped. Older one is in Kindergarten and I think what happened was that she's around more kids with stronger boundaries/occasional assholes. So some kids might be straight up "please don't be next to me" or just straight up petty jerks (making fun of her for speaking Spanish in English speaking spaces). So now she's gotten more self conscious and insecure about initiating little friendships, which in turn gave her baby sister the space to befriend little kids finally which makes the older one jealous and upset.

The dynamics I've seen at this age also seem to suggest that friendships are a very binary all-or-nothing matter. The idea of 'sharing' a friend or playing in a big undirected mixed group is unthinkable to them. If directed by a teacher or relative they'll play as a group but leave them to their devices a significant % of time is bickering over who gets to play with who.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I asked my 3 year old if he needed to poop in the potty.
"Poop is sleeping."
Alright then.

A new Taco Bell opened and I stopped in with him to pick up dinner. He was very adamant that he "Wants to ring the Taco Bell!"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

It is kind of crazy that they don't have a bell somewhere

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Strangely, you have to go to Arby's to ring the Taco Bell.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I've heard they've got a whole War of the Bucket thing going on with it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

gently caress man.

3.5 year old son was apparently pushing, kicking, and punching his “friend” all day in preschool yesterday. They gave him a timeout but he just continued all day.

This friend of his is constantly getting in trouble, so my first thought is our son learned how to do this from that kid. The teacher asked him who he learned that from and he mentioned the friends name, but I don’t know to believe that, plus the teacher said she only saw our son doing the acts.

No physical harm and more playful than anything it seemed, but I have no idea where he would get this from. He watches coco melon, Daniel tiger, and paw patrol.

Today before going to the playground, he started running a play shopping cart into our 1 year old son.

Wtf. I scolded him and explained we don’t do that and he started laughing, then when I asked if he’d like me to do it to him he said “yes!” Then he laughed some more…the teacher said he started laughing yesterday when asked/told not to punch/kick/shove.

I remember laughing when getting talked to as a nervous gesture growing up so hopefully that’s it…no idea wtf to do here. Time outs have little to no effect on him.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My daughter laughs when she pushes her brother but she clearly feels bad about it, she's just trying to lighten the mood maybe? It seems like one of those things that's normal developmentally but feels hosed up in the moment.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

So my wife hadn't felt the baby move at all yet yesterday evening, so we broke out the fetal doppler she got off one of those Facebook free-blessing things, and found her thump-thump pretty quickly. Fairly normal course of events; after 2 losses in 2 years, we can both get a little squirrely when things don't seem kosher.

The not normal part was when I started talking to her. She punched the transducer and then her heartbeat started getting faster and louder. Lil' girl got excited hearing Daddy talk to her :kimchi:

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

cailleask posted:

Yeah around 4 is right - and expect those friendships to still have arguing and being ‘mean’ to each other and some parallel play still. They’re still transitioning into theory of mind and recognizing that other kids are people with thoughts and preferences. By kindergarten they’re much more solid on friends and friendships.

This has been our experience as well.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

nwin posted:

gently caress man.

3.5 year old son was apparently pushing, kicking, and punching his “friend” all day in preschool yesterday. They gave him a timeout but he just continued all day.

This friend of his is constantly getting in trouble, so my first thought is our son learned how to do this from that kid. The teacher asked him who he learned that from and he mentioned the friends name, but I don’t know to believe that, plus the teacher said she only saw our son doing the acts.

No physical harm and more playful than anything it seemed, but I have no idea where he would get this from. He watches coco melon, Daniel tiger, and paw patrol.

Today before going to the playground, he started running a play shopping cart into our 1 year old son.

Wtf. I scolded him and explained we don’t do that and he started laughing, then when I asked if he’d like me to do it to him he said “yes!” Then he laughed some more…the teacher said he started laughing yesterday when asked/told not to punch/kick/shove.

I remember laughing when getting talked to as a nervous gesture growing up so hopefully that’s it…no idea wtf to do here. Time outs have little to no effect on him.

My son wasn't aggressive to other kids, but would scream at teachers and refuse to do whatever it was they asked, just being super contrary. Then would scream and flail during naptime. So I'd have to get him from daycare. To make it clear it wasn't a treat, he'd get naptime at home, and I started taking things away from him - playing in the basement, then TV, then his stuffed animals. It took a while but it got the point across. Still some challenges, but by and large much better behaved at daycare.

D34THROW posted:

The not normal part was when I started talking to her. She punched the transducer and then her heartbeat started getting faster and louder. Lil' girl got excited hearing Daddy talk to her :kimchi:

:3:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Pretty sure kid made his first joke.

We were reading Unicorn Night and there is a part that goes "neigh neigh neigh, played all day!" where he loves to say the neighs. As we were getting closer to it he started smiling, then giggling slightly while looking back and forth at me and Mrs Pony. He's usually pretty darn focused on the book so that was different.

Finally reach the neighs and we point at him like we always do to let him know to say them and he says "tweet tweet tweet!" and has a full on giggle fit.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

Pretty sure kid made his first joke.

We were reading Unicorn Night and there is a part that goes "neigh neigh neigh, played all day!" where he loves to say the neighs. As we were getting closer to it he started smiling, then giggling slightly while looking back and forth at me and Mrs Pony. He's usually pretty darn focused on the book so that was different.

Finally reach the neighs and we point at him like we always do to let him know to say them and he says "tweet tweet tweet!" and has a full on giggle fit.

#4 made up his first joke the other day. He loves to sing and listen to "I Believe I Can Fly" by R. Kelly, and he grabbed a toy and went "I believe I can fllll-oops! Maybe not!" as he tossed it in the air and it fell down.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My 3 year old made a sarcastic joke. I am very proud of him. Usually when we read books I point at things and ask him what it is. The other night when I did it, his response was "A book." What a smartass.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
We have a 5 (almost 6) year old who decided to escape from his kindergarten class while out on a 'nature day' and walk home. Luckily it was towards the end of the day and my wife was already on the way pick him up, and she found him about half way from the school to our house (about 2 km). Needless to say this caused some issues with everyone.

Because of this we are seriously considering one of those gps tracker / phone watches. Does anyone have some recommendations on products or should we just get him a kid leash for the teachers to hang on to?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Yeah my recommendation is a new kindergarten. What the gently caress were they not supervising him or something?

That being said, we use an air tag. It's not gps enabled but there's also no monthly fee. Our kid is not a wanderer though, so the use case is for busy places where we might lose sight of him and there's plenty of iphones to bounce a signal off of.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Also good on your kid on knowing how to get home. That's cool.

I tried running away from school in 1st grade once. I got caught before I made it off school grounds but I had no idea how to get home. Didn't think that far ahead.

I was not a smart kid.

I'm also not a smart adult.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Renegret posted:

Yeah my recommendation is a new kindergarten. What the gently caress were they not supervising him or something?

That being said, we use an air tag. It's not gps enabled but there's also no monthly fee. Our kid is not a wanderer though, so the use case is for busy places where we might lose sight of him and there's plenty of iphones to bounce a signal off of.

On his backpack or something? Do you deactivate the speaker so it doesn’t make a noise?

nwin fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 29, 2022

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

nwin posted:

On his backpack or something?

Yeah we leave it in his backpack most of the time. We have a wrist band adapter so he can wear it if we go to a busy place but he doesn't like it very much.

In other news, my son had a sleep study last night. Oh God he's covered in gunk all over how do I get this out of his hair.

e: I think the speaker is off too? My wife manages it, I don't even have an iPhone.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Renegret posted:

In other news, my son had a sleep study last night. Oh God he's covered in gunk all over how do I get this out of his hair.

Try mineral oil, it took silly putty out of our cat's fur.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Did the silly putty transfer the cat's print?

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
New peak of anger at the kids dad. Baby is sick with GI stuff and couldn’t go to daycare this morning. His dad agreed last night that he would watch him this morning so I could work my second job. I drove all the way out to his place at 6:15am, after dropping off our daughter at daycare, and he wasn’t answering his phone. He was still sleeping. I was already late so after five calls I took my kid with me to work. It’s just me at this job and it’s mostly outdoors, so I let my baby sleep in the car while I got the space ready, and panic texted some coworkers to see if they could cover. Finally at 7:50 he calls me and said he slept through all his alarms and my phone calls but he would come pick up the baby.

He gets here and goes “why didn’t you come in my apartment building and knock?” I told him this wasn’t my fault, he should have been up. He said “It’s not entirely my fault, it’s not my fault he is sick and it’s not my fault you didn’t come up to knock.” I’m not dragging my baby out in 35 degree weather, walking all the way to his building, punching in the entrance code, walking up three flights of stairs, and knocking until he wakes up. I told him he is a loving piece of poo poo and he told me I need to not be so stressed all the time.

I am fuming.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

gently caress that, getting a baby in and out of a car in winter sucks rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Also, my daughter was being stubborn about getting out of bed, but then a big flatbed truck pulled up outside the house and started unloading a cherry picker, so I got to say "hey wanna see a cool truck?"

Out of bed in an instant and at the window.