Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mr Hootington posted:

Russia said back at the end of March when the last contracts were paid in dollars and euros that the next contracts to come up near the end of April must be paid for in Roubles by that exchange thing.

Poland and Bulgaria must have had their contracts come up and they refused to pay in roubles. Gas gets turned off. It will be interesting to see who else gets cut off in the coming days.

I doubt Germany, Italy, austria, and hungary lose access

Most of their contracts are not up, Russia wants roubles and their contract does not stipulate that, which is why Poland is already threatening to sue anyways even if they don't need Russia gas anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

CommieGIR posted:

Most of their contracts are not up, Russia wants roubles and their contract does not stipulate that, which is why Poland is already threatening to sue anyways even if they don't need Russia gas anymore.

Yeah your right about poland's long term contract being up in october.
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/31/europe-energy-russia-appears-to-soften-its-gas-for-rubles-demand.html
They had to renegotiate the contracts.

Russia will do what it wants since they are in control of that supply.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Tomn posted:

Perhaps I'm missing something but I'm not sure that correction makes the statement any better. He's still essentially saying "They used to be part of the Soviet Union (and thus Russia is implicitly justified in attacking them.)"

Except I finally got access to wi-fi and looked at the video in question and it's even weirder than I thought because when Blinken specifically noted that being former parts of the USSR doesn't give Russia the right to attack them Paul's response is "Nobody is saying it does, it really has nothing to do with this." Which...well, OK? So what, then? If you're not arguing that, then what was the point of bringing it up? Just to show off your knowledge of history?

I don't want to try to get onboard Paul's train of thoughts, but maybe his intention is to claim that it's just some delayed civil war, like Eritrea vs. Ethiopia or China vs. Taiwan, and US tax payers shouldn't be involved? Libertarians don't believe in any type of morality, so the question of whether Russia has a right to attack Ukraine is a complete non sequitur. The Pedophile Slave Confederation could be invading USA and Rand Paul's primary concern would be that US government wastes too much money to save babies from raiding parties.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Nenonen posted:

I don't want to try to get onboard Paul's train of thoughts, but maybe his intention is to claim that it's just some delayed civil war, like Eritrea vs. Ethiopia or China vs. Taiwan, and US tax payers shouldn't be involved? Libertarians don't believe in any type of morality, so the question of whether Russia has a right to attack Ukraine is a complete non sequitur. The Pedophile Slave Confederation could be invading USA and Rand Paul's primary concern would be that US government wastes too much money to save babies from raiding parties.

It is very generous of you to assume, in this scenario, that Rand Paul and all of our other wonderful libertarians haven't already defected and joined the Pedophile Slave Confederation.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Nenonen posted:

Rand Paul's primary concern would be that US government wastes too much money to save babies from raiding parties.

God this is such an eloquent burn.

Well you see tge babies should have the choice of whether to join the US or the Pedo confederation. Because then they can benefit from market competition.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mr Hootington posted:

Russia said back at the end of March when the last contracts were paid in dollars and euros that the next contracts to come up near the end of April must be paid for in Roubles by that exchange thing.

Poland and Bulgaria must have had their contracts come up and they refused to pay in roubles. Gas gets turned off. It will be interesting to see who else gets cut off in the coming days.

I doubt Germany, Italy, austria, and hungary lose access

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russian-gas-supplies-poland-halted-polish-media-reports-2022-04-26/

End of the year for both, according to Reuters.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
There is an enormous, politically diverse flock of dipshits who think that being "anti-war" means bending over backwards to excuse Russian imperialism. That doesn't make them Russian assets and while these views are odious they should not be cause for FBI/NSA investigation.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

smug n stuff posted:

Russian state media has been claiming they're about to invade from Transnistria since the first couple weeks of the war. Hasn't happened yet but maybe now is the time idk, the explosions did mean something, but I don't think hardly anyone knows what.

(tweet from early march)

https://twitter.com/brianmcarsales/status/1500887055139848193

My assumption is that it is intended to keep Ukrainian troops in the area ‘just in case’ rather than preparations for an actual invasion from Transnistria. Having said that, I don’t expect Ukraine would find it necessary to maintain troops of any quality there, and unless Transnistria has a lot more AA capability than anyone knows about it would likely turn into a feast for the Bayraktars.

evilweasel posted:

Key passages from that article (which suggests that the claims of a shootdown of a transport plane full of VDV was accurate):

The whole article is worth reading: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/national-security/us-intel-helped-ukraine-protect-air-defenses-shoot-russian-plane-carry-rcna26015

Has there been any discussion of the disparity in intel between Ukraine and Russia (jokes about Russian troops being loving stupid aside)?

What sort of spy satellites do Russia have access to? Are they in any way comparable to the number and quality of the US satellite imagery available to Ukraine? Would they have any ability to get real time or close to real time intel on the location of weapons transport within Ukraine?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Elotana posted:

while these views are odious they should not be cause for FBI/NSA investigation.

Let's make them, the cops would have something to spend time monitoring on instead of harassing random civilians.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Elotana posted:

There is an enormous, politically diverse flock of dipshits who think that being "anti-war" means bending over backwards to excuse Russian imperialism. That doesn't make them Russian assets and while these views are odious they should not be cause for FBI/NSA investigation.

Eh, in Rand's case there's at least some supporting evidence that they took Russian money either directly or indirectly.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Elotana posted:

There are also a lot of pro-war dipshits who suddenly become very anti-war when talking about confronting Russia in any way. And happen to have suspicious ties to Russia.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

gay picnic defence posted:

My assumption is that it is intended to keep Ukrainian troops in the area ‘just in case’ rather than preparations for an actual invasion from Transnistria. Having said that, I don’t expect Ukraine would find it necessary to maintain troops of any quality there, and unless Transnistria has a lot more AA capability than anyone knows about it would likely turn into a feast for the Bayraktars.

Has there been any discussion of the disparity in intel between Ukraine and Russia (jokes about Russian troops being loving stupid aside)?

What sort of spy satellites do Russia have access to? Are they in any way comparable to the number and quality of the US satellite imagery available to Ukraine? Would they have any ability to get real time or close to real time intel on the location of weapons transport within Ukraine?

If I'm reading this right, they have Three - two photo recon and MAYBE a single radar sat? and they're really old at this point. Age aside, with only two, they're gonna have a lot of gaps in terms of time coverage.

The quality is about 10x worse than US satellites per the article, they're going to have a hell of a time with any real-time intel due to the gaps, plus there's the question of "well ok they do have satellites but who's actually analyzing the data and working it", with a mark that even the US struggles with this and we likely have a LOT more analysts with far better computers and software to assist with it.

The long and the short of it is the same chorus with every other aspect of Russia's armed forces: "It's hosed".

https://www.rferl.org/a/russia-satellites-ukraine-war-gps/31797618.html

[edit] Oh and a bonus - per the article, the Russian GLONASS system is already underserviced (it needs 24 sats, they only have 23), and half the rest are so old they could fall out of orbit at any time, which means that their satnav systems are going to get less and less accurate. If their cruise missiles are using GLONASS, the fact that they are below minimum requirements on satellites would explain a lot of their inaccuracy issues....

Doccers fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 26, 2022

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Really powerful article from a Ukrainian journalist about how the leaders and people in the non-separatist portions of the Donbas and Luhansk regions are dealing with the war

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/04/ukraine-battle-for-donbas-damage/629661/

Genuinely excellent. Both governors were offered the chance to change sides prewar (via their personal phone numbers) and refused, and both subsequently received death threats from Russia. The governor of Donbas is from the now separatist portion of the Oblast and no longer speaks to his Russia-supporting parents and brother.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
If that article is accurate it really paints a picture of the Russian state rotting away from the inside across the board. Satelite capabilities certainly seem a lot worse than I would have guessed.

I do believe data analysis is more important than the quality of the imagery. You need trained analysts looking at it to actually identify enemy positions and movements and estimate what their plans are. Ideally you also want to incorporate data from other sources like drones and signal and human intelligence. Thing is, that requires a lot of skilled workers and a robust organization. I don't think it is something you can bootstrap overnight and I doubt it is the kind of thing Russia would generally invest a lot of resources in since you can't put it in a parade.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

I wonder if this is why that bridge from odesa to Romania got bombed
https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPR/status/1519058295050452992?t=fOKpK-WfPYVLSm12AlNGbw&s=19
I wonder if Ukraine has been using it to move grain from the ports of odesa to Romania via train?

The bridge is already back in use again btw. And the Ukrainian rail people appear to be insanely professional and efficient so I would guess it's safe.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Owling Howl posted:

If that article is accurate it really paints a picture of the Russian state rotting away from the inside across the board. Satelite capabilities certainly seem a lot worse than I would have guessed.

I do believe data analysis is more important than the quality of the imagery. You need trained analysts looking at it to actually identify enemy positions and movements and estimate what their plans are. Ideally you also want to incorporate data from other sources like drones and signal and human intelligence. Thing is, that requires a lot of skilled workers and a robust organization. I don't think it is something you can bootstrap overnight and I doubt it is the kind of thing Russia would generally invest a lot of resources in since you can't put it in a parade.

[edit] I was genuinely surprised reading that as well, regarding the state of the Russian side - Space is supposed to be their big thing, at least, thats the impression I got after we cancelled the Shuttle program and had to rely on them for lifts to the ISS...

If anything, that article severely short-sells US capabilities. The Keyhole series is pretty damned old at this point, I'm almost certain that we've got a lot of better stuff up there now that we have no need to advertise.

Doccers fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 26, 2022

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
I think they can rail grain down to Izmail, a Ukrainian city on the Danube and basically the southernmost point in the entire country, and yes, that track uses the bombed bridge. There is a harbor there but it is not big.
I have seen that comment about a romanian project to reestablish the broad gauge rail to Moldova elsewhere, who knows how long that will take, but it's only a couple of kms between Galati and the Moldovan border, more questionable is that that line crosses both Moldova And transnistria. If the commodities can get to Constanta is basically the big project, that's the biggest harbour in Romania, and almost the entire Black Sea, and should have the capacity for most of Ukraines eksports.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Incredibly detailed article about the military campaign so far.

https://twitter.com/shashj/status/1519041368672415747

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/OleksiyDanilov/status/1517924531112919042
https://twitter.com/OleksiyDanilov/status/1517924723686100992

https://kyivindependent.com/national/ukrainian-law-enforcers-search-for-collaborators-who-helped-russians/

so many lined up for their chance at being quisling and the russians still bungled it

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Seems to me that rooting out any potential collaborators/traitors is going to be an existential thing for any state bordering Russia at this point. Hope it doesn’t get ugly

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Russia is trying to pull off something odd. 200 thousand diplomatic passports have been ordered through the public procurement system, with an official list of recipients including “wife of Medvedev” and “other persons”.

It smells like they’re about to swear everyone related to a billionaire a diplomat.

https://twitter.com/sotavision/status/1518893482521374721

Edit:

https://twitter.com/fa_burkhardt/status/1519070277501698048

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Russia is trying to pull off something odd. 200 thousand diplomatic passports have been ordered through the public procurement system, with an official list of recipients including “wife of Medvedev” and “other persons”.

It smells like they’re about to swear everyone related to a billionaire a diplomat.
To get around the sanctions through 'one weird trick'.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

In case anyone else is curious what’s up in Transnistria, this is being shared by some of the more serious accounts I follow.

https://twitter.com/maximedwards/status/1518966587772088321

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Doccers posted:

[edit] I was genuinely surprised reading that as well, regarding the state of the Russian side - Space is supposed to be their big thing, at least, thats the impression I got after we cancelled the Shuttle program and had to rely on them for lifts to the ISS...

If anything, that article severely short-sells US capabilities. The Keyhole series is pretty damned old at this point, I'm almost certain that we've got a lot of better stuff up there now that we have no need to advertise.

I Imagine by now the US has basically a real time RTS-like map that gets updated by AI analyzing high-res satellite and drone images. And the commanders could click on a tank and make it blow up.

The Russians just use a pencil.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

steinrokkan posted:

Actually it's perfectly normal for industrial facilities to be bombed by drones, it happens every day all over the world
If it was a drone, but I’m hearing the oil depot was destroyed by an ammunition explosion.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Feel like any country that doesn't just go "lol no", would of been a country who didn't care about sanctions anyway.

So yeah other then damaging Russians foreign relations further, sorta pointless.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

cinci zoo sniper posted:

In case anyone else is curious what’s up in Transnistria, this is being shared by some of the more serious accounts I follow.

https://twitter.com/maximedwards/status/1518966587772088321

I'm confused what they're even trying to do there? Don't they have a single undermanned division? Didn't Ukraine agree to respect their sovereignty in 1992? I think its unlikely the Ukrainians would now try to invade, but I dont see what the Russian angle could possible be.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I thought other countries had to actually acknowledge / accept diplomats in the first place. Otherwise you get Iran making the Joker the UN ambassador (they've now retconned this apparently).

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Surgical Ukrainian artillery

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1519062472812081153

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Scapegoat posted:

I thought other countries had to actually acknowledge / accept diplomats in the first place. Otherwise you get Iran making the Joker the UN ambassador (they've now retconned this apparently).

Haha, what the hell? And I don’t know the details of how this could actually work - the authors of the article are likewise refraining from calling out a specific plan, perhaps for the details you mention. I’m not familiar with the nuances of this process myself, and my remark was meant to be speculative.

FishBulbia posted:

I'm confused what they're even trying to do there? Don't they have a single undermanned division? Didn't Ukraine agree to respect their sovereignty in 1992? I think its unlikely the Ukrainians would now try to invade, but I dont see what the Russian angle could possible be.

I’m very confused as well. Hopefully it’s either nothing at all, or something as competent as FSB anti-Nazi raid being politely welcomed in by a supposed Ukronazi assassin, who (or whose accomplice) then goes on saying “the Ukraine” and “special military operation”.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Nenonen posted:

I think the more plausible explanation is that Rand Paul thinks he's the smartest person in the room and thus whatever idea pops into his head must be a smart idea, but when that idea is immediately pointed out to be in fact a terribly dumb idea, he, the smartest person in the room, must immediately disavow it.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Scapegoat posted:

Yeah. The process is called "accreditation" and until that occurs, the ppt confers no special qualities (like immunity). My guess is that they would use them in-country for special privileges, like travel, discounts on goods, hotels etc. I suppose they could also specify certain occupational positions as requiring this form of documentation. Basically setting up a new nomenklatura.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Wasn’t Rand Paul one of the group of GOP Senators and Congresspeople that went to Russia for the 4th of July a few years back for some reason that was never explained?

Edit: never mind, different Senators -

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/395719-gop-senators-visited-moscow-on-july-4/

Zwabu fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 27, 2022

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1519095066467483653?s=20&t=3pvCHVnQKA1r0IuFBkeZ2g

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Zwabu posted:

Wasn’t Rand Paul one of the group of GOP Senators ad Congresspeople that went to Russia for the 4th of July a few years back for some reason that was never explained?

Yup

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/09/636982295/is-it-springtime-for-putin-and-republicans

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

the popes toes posted:

Yeah. The process is called "accreditation" and until that occurs, the ppt confers no special qualities (like immunity). My guess is that they would use them in-country for special privileges, like travel, discounts on goods, hotels etc. I suppose they could also specify certain occupational positions as requiring this form of documentation. Basically setting up a new nomenklatura.

Who says they have to give them the passports under their real names? Mayne they just want to send Mr Poutine and Mr Bearenstein to process visas in Belize :shrug:

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

ISW update is out
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1519096884345847808?s=20&t=x6BIGpY7W9ql09csWth-3g
Operationally the Russians appear to be more sound on the Izyum axis, but the Ukrainians are also significantly less dug in on the Russian line of approach from that direction.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Canada paid for 8 armoured vehicles like the JLTV to be sent to UA :canada:

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Pretty good article about information sharing from the US ("here's what we know, it doesn't matter how we know it"), and how Ukraine has been effectively using it.

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1519076890434314241

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Who says they have to give them the passports under their real names? Mayne they just want to send Mr Poutine and Mr Bearenstein to process visas in Belize :shrug:

Sure, but most countries limit the number of diplomats in their country to the reciprocal number of diplomats in the other country. The only privilege that I can think of that doesn't require accreditation is being able to skip the long custom/immigration line at the airport and go to the "dip" line ahead of all the plebs.