Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Kwyndig posted:

He doesn't put one in every book but yeah he really can't write them.

If they at least improved as the series progressed it would be less terrible but they don't. It's just awkward and terrible everytime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Kchama posted:

The Dresden Files has this exact same issue, except it is worse. The author writes in the LAWS OF MAGIC after the first couple of books where he lays out the... ambiguous laws of Magic that either are THE LAWS OF THE UNIVERSE or just wizard laws, it depends on whatever is convenient for the plot. Basically if you break these your soul is BLACKENED and you start turning evil which implies it is the LAWS OF THE UNIVERSE but it only seems to really effect Wizards so that implies it is wizard laws but also there is an artifact staff that lets you cast soul-blackening magic without being corrupted.

Anyways, context out of the way, the very first book has Harry brew up some love potions at the insistence of his Rape Skull Mentor who wants to use it to cause uhh... trouble so he can get off on watching it (this is actually a joke used in the book where Harry has to pretend he DIDN'T hear on the news about his Rape Skull causing an orgy at a college). He does it because otherwise the Rape Skull won't teach him how to make some other potion. He doesn't know how to make potions despite his entire thing is that he's a Magic Nerd who really should know that. And his girlfriend ends up drinking it during a demon attack and I assure you it is super funny and sexy and not at all extremely embarrassing to read.

Anyways due to this when the author reveals that mind-altering magic is against the Laws Of Magic, he literally has to make an exception for Harry Dresden, because it isn't REALLY mind-altering magic because it only ... alters your mind to do what you already had an interest in doing. Also non-humans aren't counted for the Laws of Magic so you're allowed to break them to kill/mess up vampires and fairies all you want.

I was very confused as to how the first paragraph related to the second paragraph's insane harry potter scenes I don't remember (a series which also had "love potions") but the third kind of cleared that up

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

ilmucche posted:

I was very confused as to how the first paragraph related to the second paragraph's insane harry potter scenes I don't remember (a series which also had "love potions") but the third kind of cleared that up

I apologize, I realized there was a lot of context to give to explain why it's even more insane, but I kind of made a huge mess of it.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Harry cumming his brains out when his almost-vampire girlfriend licks him was pretty ugly too.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Doesn't Harry tie up and rape his vampire girlfriend in like book 4? Chains her to the ceiling but it's so HOT and it's OK somehow? I would say I need to re-read those books but I really don't.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The first Dresden book is ultra-garbage on purpose because the author wrote it to spite a writing professor he loathed. They do generally improve a lot.

Something that it’s easy to overlook (because they’re told in the first person from Harry’s perspective and he has all of the self-awareness of a dead clam) is that Harry himself is a huge loser idiot, and if you read between the lines half of the time he thinks he’s saying or doing something completely badass it’s actually awkward as hell and other characters tend to either humor him or outright dunk on him for it.

I don’t remember much from the later books, at one point his brain gets pregnant while he runs around an island shouting “parkour! PARKOUR!!” to himself like in the cold open for that one episode of the Office.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

As someone who didn't know that the main character of Dresden files' name is ALSO Harry, this simultaneously with Harry Potter chat made me VERY confused and lollin

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Oh and multiple scenes of Harry thinking about how much he wants to gently caress a teenager but can't cause he's buddies with her dad.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

SgtScruffy posted:

As someone who didn't know that the main character of Dresden files' name is ALSO Harry, this simultaneously with Harry Potter chat made me VERY confused and lollin

hahahhaaaaaaaaaa lol thank you this is the best laugh I've had in awhile.

"Yer a wizard, arry!"

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

The thing that always gets overlooked about the Harry Potter series is that the books are absolute garbage.

Before Rowling showed the world her entire rear end as a trash person I started to read the HP series to my kids before bed, since I remembered reading up to the third book my first year of college and enjoying them.

Woooof. They're extremely poorly written. Reading them out loud was really hard. Arduous language and stupid plotting. She went public as a garbage brained TERF so I finished the first book to my kids and read The Hobbit out loud instead.

Tolkien's his own piece of work but read out loud, at least, the Hobbit was a loving lyrical treasure.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Wait was cho (ugh) a vampire? I forgot that particular detail

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Tall Tale Teller posted:

The thing that always gets overlooked about the Harry Potter series is that the books are absolute garbage.

Before Rowling showed the world her entire rear end as a trash person I started to read the HP series to my kids before bed, since I remembered reading up to the third book my first year of college and enjoying them.

Woooof. They're extremely poorly written. Reading them out loud was really hard. Arduous language and stupid plotting. She went public as a garbage brained TERF so I finished the first book to my kids and read The Hobbit out loud instead.

Tolkien's his own piece of work but read out loud, at least, the Hobbit was a loving lyrical treasure.

Rowling relies too much on alliteration, to the point that sometimes it seems to be the only literary technique she knows.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I've read a LOT of fantasy going all the way back to "The King of Elfland's Daughter" by Lord Dunsany up to modern stuff etc, and even the 70's pulp like Leiber's Fafhrd and The Grey Mouser stuff is better written than Harry Potter. When people started reading Harry Potter I gave it a chance and came away thinking "at least people are reading" and "maybe they'll move on to better books." This did not happen.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Wait was cho (ugh) a vampire? I forgot that particular detail

No, just Asian. I don't even think JKR specified her specific ancestry, just "Asian".

The vampire talk was Harry DRESDEN, who had a girlfriend who turned part-Red Court Vampire for a while.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Desert Bus posted:

I've read a LOT of fantasy going all the way back to "The King of Elfland's Daughter" by Lord Dunsany up to modern stuff etc, and even the 70's pulp like Leiber's Fafhrd and The Grey Mouser stuff is better written than Harry Potter. When people started reading Harry Potter I gave it a chance and came away thinking "at least people are reading" and "maybe they'll move on to better books." This did not happen.

I was actually kinda shocked at how lovely the first book was when I revisited it. When I was 19 and read the first one I totally knew what well-written books were too! So its not like i stumbled on HP in a vacuum but i couldnt for the life of me remember the books being written like horseshit.

Things are different when you're facing 40 I guess?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Fantasy is a genre for weirdos and losers, BUT Harry Potter, badly written fantasy full of problematic poo poo, targeted at literal kids, is totally cool, and why would I ever need to try out other fantasy books?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The writing of the first couple Harry Potter books actually fits the sort of fantastical sort of setting the first two books are set in. It's a fairy tale, so the simple language is sort of atmospheric. It absolutely does not fit the later books, so coming back and reading it again is really jarring, and you can't ignore how basic it actually is.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Rockman Reserve posted:

The first Dresden book is ultra-garbage on purpose because the author wrote it to spite a writing professor he loathed. They do generally improve a lot.

I hear this bandied about a lot but I seem to remember Butcher using this excuse for all of his poo poo-rear end garbage books. "Oh yeah that thing sucks? Well I totally did it on a bet, so you can't blame me!" The first several books (all the ones I read) are hot-rear end garbage but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that someone had dared him to write complete poo poo individually for each book.

How come nobody bets an author to write a good book?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Desert Bus posted:

Hey, Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser is often extremely well-written. Too bad about the pedophilia.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Tall Tale Teller posted:

We've been doing something similar and yeah it's extremely frustrating sometimes. Often I'll just make edits on the fly while I'm reading aloud (he's 15 months he's not going to care) because it's just so torturous to read. The thing that really sticks out to me is she can't just establish the people talking and then go line by line, every single line of dialogue will be "<character> said <adjective>-ly". every. single. line

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Neito posted:

No, just Asian. I don't even think JKR specified her specific ancestry, just "Asian".

The vampire talk was Harry DRESDEN, who had a girlfriend who turned part-Red Court Vampire for a while.

2 many fantasy characters named harry, apparently

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Hey, Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser is often extremely well-written. Too bad about the pedophilia.

I was going to use Moorcock's Eternal Champion series as an example of good 70's pulp sci-fi/fantasy, which includes Elric and like 6 other multiple book series of other Eternal Champions, but I couldn't not make some sort of Moorcock/more cock joke and it just wasn't coming to me, unlike more cock.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Those were on my too read list until just right now.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Ambitious Spider posted:

Somewhere on SA is a thread about authors being terrible people and like 90% of it is sci-fi/fantasy authors being sex-pests of various sorts. :(

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Desert Bus posted:

I was going to use Moorcock's Eternal Champion series as an example of good 70's pulp sci-fi/fantasy, which includes Elric and like 6 other multiple book series of other Eternal Champions, but I couldn't not make some sort of Moorcock/more cock joke and it just wasn't coming to me, unlike more cock.

It's hard to take them seriously as an adult, especially the early stuff. Oh, really? Elric is brooding again? He's a tortured soul? Oh he feels so guilty and conflicted?! Wow!

Ambitious Spider posted:

Sorry. :smith: I mean, I don't know if Leiber was a pedo, but the characters sure were!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Moorcock shat out like 8 million books, did so quickly to keep up with the publishing schedule of the pulps, and still managed to write better and make a more coherent overall universe than Rowling ever did.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kchama posted:

The last time that happened we got Frankenstein and the first modern vampire story. Never again.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Desert Bus posted:

Doesn't Harry tie up and rape his vampire girlfriend in like book 4? Chains her to the ceiling but it's so HOT and it's OK somehow? I would say I need to re-read those books but I really don't.

No. They're still explicitly in love with each other, but can't be together because she'll lose control and devour him on getting "excited". The tying-up was an attempt to get around that, which almost involved him getting eaten anyway.

Meanwhile the love potion bit is extremely blatant "this is why the main character's ad specifies "NO LOVE POTIONS" in his list of services, because love potions are extremely evil".

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Desert Bus posted:

This was in Goblet of Fire?!?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

This was in Goblet of Fire?!?

Yeah Harry Dresden and the Goblet of Fire by Jim K. Rowling.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
the only time i saw love potions used and people rightly freaking out was that insanity George Lucas made called Strange Love. I mean, someone still makes and gives the potion away but there is a loophole: it won't work if the person you dose is already in love with someone else.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Desert Bus posted:

Yeah Harry Dresden and the Goblet of Fire by Jim K. Rowling.

Holy God, I just realized someone somewhere has definitely mashed these up haven't they

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

Holy God, I just realized someone somewhere has definitely mashed these up haven't they

You've missed like half a page of this thread apparently lol. I've already made the "Yer a wizard 'arry." joke.

poo poo, you mean on purpose? Yeah no doubt. I'm sure there is a fanfic where Harry and Harry team up (and probably gently caress).

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I apparently have! My apologies.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Sorry. :smith: I mean, I don't know if Leiber was a pedo, but the characters sure were!
I didn't remember that detail but it wouldn't surprise me. Is that a post book 5 thing, or just something I didn't notice?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Terrible Opinions posted:

I didn't remember that detail but it wouldn't surprise me. Is that a post book 5 thing, or just something I didn't notice?

Many of the stories, including the old ones, involve one or both of them falling in love with someone who is at least a teen if not explicitly pre-pubescent. They both tease each other about it and at least seem to have the decency to be embarrassed about it? I can try and skim one of my collections if you want a specific example.

Edit: On second thought, I think I'll just leave it at that, it was bad enough running into it as I was looking forward to them getting into trouble or fighting weird creatures or sorcerers, another thing to actively seek the skeeve out.

Absurd Alhazred has a new favorite as of 02:46 on Apr 27, 2022

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I think in "Bazaar of the Bizarre" The Grey Mouser gets enticed in by a too young lady, and that's one of the earlier stories. It's been awhile since I've re-read them though.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Kchama posted:

I hear this bandied about a lot but I seem to remember Butcher using this excuse for all of his poo poo-rear end garbage books. "Oh yeah that thing sucks? Well I totally did it on a bet, so you can't blame me!" The first several books (all the ones I read) are hot-rear end garbage but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that someone had dared him to write complete poo poo individually for each book.

they're not high art or anything but if you don't have the ability to turn off your brain for a bit and enjoy a wizard reanimating and riding the skeleton of Sue the T-Rex through downtown Chicago or a nerdy shut-in coroner (i think?) skateboarding around mercing vampires with his buddy the magical talking skull in a messenger bag, i dunno what to tell you

pulp poo poo can be fun

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Rockman Reserve posted:

they're not high art or anything but if you don't have the ability to turn off your brain for a bit and enjoy a wizard reanimating and riding the skeleton of Sue the T-Rex through downtown Chicago or a nerdy shut-in coroner (i think?) skateboarding around mercing vampires with his buddy the magical talking skull in a messenger bag, i dunno what to tell you

pulp poo poo can be fun

Yeah not a single one of that happened in any of the ones I read. Instead it was about flabby vampire tits, 'funny' rapist skulls, ghosts being tortured forever, sexy-time love potion goofs as a demon tries to eat Dresden and Susan, and Dresden being unfairly oppressed and also one of the strongest people on the continent simultaneously. "It gets better 50 books in" is not a very good enticement to read further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Dresden Files requires a brain shut off almost as extreme as what it takes to enjoy Harry Potter.