Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Pretty sure a huge amount of the twitter buyout is on a loan, so for a rarely profitable company it's an extremely dumb business decision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hot Diggity! posted:

Pretty sure a huge amount of the twitter buyout is on a loan, so for a rarely profitable company it's an extremely dumb business decision

$25.5 billion in debt financing, and another $20 billion in Musk's cash.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I feel like I was pretty early on the Letterkenny hype train and I’ve loved it. The last couple seasons have been less than their standard but still watched.

Just found out they’re making a spin-off with Shoresy and…why? Like Shorsey is a great character and part of it is that you can’t see who he is but also know that it’s really Jared and he has some great digs. Why create a show that shows his face and undoes what’s so good about him?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I'd bet :20bux: he thought he could bypass it since most wheelchair passengers don't go thru the standard backscatter X-Ray machines & just get the basic wand.

Or that rules don't apply to him because he's a cis white male in a position of power.

TSA gave me poo poo when I had my bike repair tool in my carry on bag. What was I going to do? Change a tire or try to remove a seat from the plane?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Just made an appointment to euthanize my dog. He started getting sick about a week ago and soon it became clear that this wasn't like the other times, he was probably experiencing organ failure and he soon stopped eating completely. Couldn't really stand on his own. Lost a quarter of his body weight in like five days.

Obviously I knew it was coming, he's almost 20 years old. But it still came so quickly it was a shock. He was perfectly fine just ten days ago.

This dog was born when I was around 14, a teenager just starting high school. It was a litter of nine puppies from a dog named Molly that our barber had found on the side of the road and that I convinced my parents to take her home from there. She was a mutt who turned out to be half dalmation and half chihuahua, which was a pretty huge shock since we though she was just a terrier mix. The father was a rat terrier named Bingo who lived down the street, it was all planned and arranged.

Most of the dogs were mixed brown and black with a little white, Spot was completely different. He was smaller and he was completely white with just one big, bold, black spot on his lower back. At first my parents decided to keep two others. I begged them endlessly to keep Spot as right when I saw him I loved him, and eventually I convinced them.

He actually went with me to college, which was pretty rare at the time. I decided not to live in the dorms so I brought him with me. He was incredible in that he never needed a leash in his life. He would simply follow directly behind me without fail, I could even take him out on the town and he'd always be right there. He was also an extremely quiet dog, he almost never barked, whined, or really did anything to remind you that he was there. He always got along with humans better than dogs, other dogs seemed to mostly confuse him. He would tolerate them but wasn't very interested.

He's been certified elderly for years and years now, really. For quite a while I've had to wake up about three or four times nightly to take him outside to relieve himself. We've had to make a lot of different accommodations for him but there was never any hesitation for my girlfriend and I.

20 years may well be a quarter of my life, and probably the most formative quarter, was spent with him and I've been through so much, always with him loving and supporting me and being there for me. He was truly an incredible dog. I'm leaving Nevada this Saturday and I just wish he could've held on a little longer and come back to California with me. But this is the natural course of things.

I'm really not looking for sympathy, in fact no offense but I probably won't read the responses as they might just make me more sad. I will be fine eventually. I'm not sure why, but I just felt compelled to to tell someone about him before I go do this. It helps for some reason. And I know many or most of you have been through something similar and gotten through it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

:smith: but :unsmith: because that's a hell of a good life for a dog and a hell of a friend for you. And vent as you need should you feel like it.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Android Apocalypse posted:

TSA gave me poo poo when I had my bike repair tool in my carry on bag. What was I going to do? Change a tire or try to remove a seat from the plane?

My travel backpack is full of chargers and wires for my stuff. I'm surprised someone has never asked me about it because I can only imagine what it looks like in an X-ray.

Play posted:

Just made an appointment to euthanize my dog. He started getting sick about a week ago and soon it became clear that this wasn't like the other times, he was probably experiencing organ failure and he soon stopped eating completely. Couldn't really stand on his own. Lost a quarter of his body weight in like five days.

Obviously I knew it was coming, he's almost 20 years old. But it still came so quickly it was a shock. He was perfectly fine just ten days ago.

This dog was born when I was around 14, a teenager just starting high school. It was a litter of nine puppies from a dog named Molly that our barber had found on the side of the road and that I convinced my parents to take her home from there. She was a mutt who turned out to be half dalmation and half chihuahua, which was a pretty huge shock since we though she was just a terrier mix. The father was a rat terrier named Bingo who lived down the street, it was all planned and arranged.

Most of the dogs were mixed brown and black with a little white, Spot was completely different. He was smaller and he was completely white with just one big, bold, black spot on his lower back. At first my parents decided to keep two others. I begged them endlessly to keep Spot as right when I saw him I loved him, and eventually I convinced them.

He actually went with me to college, which was pretty rare at the time. I decided not to live in the dorms so I brought him with me. He was incredible in that he never needed a leash in his life. He would simply follow directly behind me without fail, I could even take him out on the town and he'd always be right there. He was also an extremely quiet dog, he almost never barked, whined, or really did anything to remind you that he was there. He always got along with humans better than dogs, other dogs seemed to mostly confuse him. He would tolerate them but wasn't very interested.

He's been certified elderly for years and years now, really. For quite a while I've had to wake up about three or four times nightly to take him outside to relieve himself. We've had to make a lot of different accommodations for him but there was never any hesitation for my girlfriend and I.

20 years may well be a quarter of my life, and probably the most formative quarter, was spent with him and I've been through so much, always with him loving and supporting me and being there for me. He was truly an incredible dog. I'm leaving Nevada this Saturday and I just wish he could've held on a little longer and come back to California with me. But this is the natural course of things.

I'm really not looking for sympathy, in fact no offense but I probably won't read the responses as they might just make me more sad. I will be fine eventually. I'm not sure why, but I just felt compelled to to tell someone about him before I go do this. It helps for some reason. And I know many or most of you have been through something similar and gotten through it.

That sucks. Just know that we're here for you if you need to vent. It never is fun to lose a pet.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Play posted:

Dog stuff

Silly Burrito posted:

That sucks. Just know that we're here for you if you need to vent. It never is fun to lose a pet.

I don’t have much else to say than what SB already did, but hopefully it goes as well and peacefully as such a thing can go.

Everyone hug your pets.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1519071150717997056

this dude just keeps on giving

Play I'm very sorry about your dog. It's awesome you got to have him in your life for so long though. and yeah it sounds like it's definitely time and you need to do the unselfish thing

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I sometimes take a collapsible survey pole and a fancy pants GPS unit through TSA and 100% of the time I get stopped because they're trying really hard to act like I have a weapon or a bomb. Super annoying. Sometimes I gotta carry weird stuff, cut me some slack, mr not-even-an-airport-cop.

Play posted:

I am glad he had a good and happy life. Sounds like a great doggo. The memories will always be with you. :glomp:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Dogs are good

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
My condolences, Play. Hope you can enjoy some lovely days with your doggo.

Silly Burrito posted:

My travel backpack is full of chargers and wires for my stuff. I'm surprised someone has never asked me about it because I can only imagine what it looks like in an X-ray.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I sometimes take a collapsible survey pole and a fancy pants GPS unit through TSA and 100% of the time I get stopped because they're trying really hard to act like I have a weapon or a bomb. Super annoying. Sometimes I gotta carry weird stuff, cut me some slack, mr not-even-an-airport-cop.
I've flown with Lipo batteries, night vision goggles, and hard body armor plates in my carry-on for airsoft games and TSA doesn't blink an eye about them. But a bike tool with an allen wrench? :thunk:

TSA really be like this sometimes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meFJCeUWDyY

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
If anyone wants my 14 year old dog that pees and leaves turds all over the house they are welcome to her.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

What a loving all-time dog, drat. You gave him an incredible life and now you're doing something selfless for him. It'll always hurt but it does get better eventually.

MaximilianK
Jan 8, 2022

My condolences, Play. Hope you can enjoy some lovely days with your doggo.

I've flown with Lipo batteries, night vision goggles, and hard body armor plates in my carry-on for airsoft games and TSA doesn't blink an eye about them. But a bike tool with an allen wrench? :thunk:

TSA really be like this sometimes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meFJCeUWDyY

I got a whole sleeve of shaving razors and a 4.5 inch pocket knife through a JFK international fight. Yes the TSA is a joke.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I've not seen the house since spring hit us out of nowhere but holy poo poo we are in the woods. Like it is fern gully in this motherfucker. And now we get to work doing touchups all over the house.

On my deck, looking at my deck.

They built an overhand and did not paint it very well. This will be some work. Lots of little poo poo like this.

There is a decent little amount of land that gets some light. I'llb e able to grow some things.

I didn't notice this during the buying process, but it's all actually very well terraced already. It was just overgrown. I don't know how I didn't notice this before.

English Ivy is a problem. Early days tasks will be trying to rescue some trees. I'm going to napalm the rest of the area with EI killer. This is a dogwood I would like to save if I can. There are about 2-3 trees that are going to have to come down, however.

This is the view from our living room window. you can really see some of the terracing well from here. Like....theres been serious landscaping done here. It just needs to be dug out. From this window you can see Mt. Pisgah on a clear day.

This is the fireplace. I have no idea what to do with it. We have to choose paint colors soon. I want to do a farmhouse style in the living room. I nix'd the whole "let's paint the stone" idea because I have no idea how that would turn out. Also the mantle is terrible and it's only held in by two screws.

I don't know man. Holy poo poo you see a lot more wrong with it when you bought it. But you also see a lot more right. It needs a lot of love, but I'm fine with hard work and I have a lot of friends who work in contracting so I have a lot of good resources.

AHHHHHHH

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

Mwuahahaha

The early stages of madness while slowly uncovering Previous Owners Things

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Pain of Mind posted:

I have it, I liked it at first, but ultimately it felt more like something that just killed time vs actually being fun.

I don't disagree but I think that's why I've been into it. It's fine to waste 20-30 minutes with. Of course I'm on the last loop now and the only thing left for me to do is try to beat it or fart around and try to upgrade things, so I'll probably be done with it soon.

Also, Play I'm sorry about your dog. :smith:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Don’t forget your official homeowner khakis, white New Balance shoes and a concert shirt from before 2000 for all your yard work needs.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

I've not seen the house since spring hit us out of nowhere but holy poo poo we are in the woods. Like it is fern gully in this motherfucker. And now we get to work doing touchups all over the house.

On my deck, looking at my deck.

They built an overhand and did not paint it very well. This will be some work. Lots of little poo poo like this.

There is a decent little amount of land that gets some light. I'llb e able to grow some things.

I didn't notice this during the buying process, but it's all actually very well terraced already. It was just overgrown. I don't know how I didn't notice this before.

English Ivy is a problem. Early days tasks will be trying to rescue some trees. I'm going to napalm the rest of the area with EI killer. This is a dogwood I would like to save if I can. There are about 2-3 trees that are going to have to come down, however.

This is the view from our living room window. you can really see some of the terracing well from here. Like....theres been serious landscaping done here. It just needs to be dug out. From this window you can see Mt. Pisgah on a clear day.

This is the fireplace. I have no idea what to do with it. We have to choose paint colors soon. I want to do a farmhouse style in the living room. I nix'd the whole "let's paint the stone" idea because I have no idea how that would turn out. Also the mantle is terrible and it's only held in by two screws.

I don't know man. Holy poo poo you see a lot more wrong with it when you bought it. But you also see a lot more right. It needs a lot of love, but I'm fine with hard work and I have a lot of friends who work in contracting so I have a lot of good resources.

AHHHHHHH

You’re 100% gonna eat it down that spiral staircase and now you’ll think of me when you do

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

Don’t forget your official homeowner khakis, white New Balance shoes and a concert shirt from before 2000 for all your yard work needs.
Be the change you want to see, old Supras and Pit Vipers :frogc00l:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think for that big fieldstone fireplace you want just a simple rectangle of wood for a mantle. Although it does depend a bit on the decor, something sleek and fancy just doesn't work with undressed stone like that - if it was cut blocks, smooth stone, etc. it'd have a more finished look and a fancier mantel would work better.

You can add supports or not, depending on how you want to frame it/budget/etc. It's unusual to have a stone fireplace like that without the stone going all the way up the wall, but not that unusual.

This is proportioned better and it has a couple of supports (corbels) which add visual interest (and might be structural too, although that's not necessary nowadays)

Something like this that extends off the sides I think looks better than a lot of mantels I see that are narrower than the stone backdrop and just look stuck-on and weird

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

This is proportioned better and it has a couple of supports (corbels) which add visual interest (and might be structural too, although that's not necessary nowadays)

Something like this that extends off the sides I think looks better than a lot of mantels I see that are narrower than the stone backdrop and just look stuck-on and weird

Are these literally from dollhouses / models?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I want a house :mad:

I think Fiz's deck is neat-o but I am also concerned about that staircase.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Leperflesh posted:

I think for that big fieldstone fireplace you want just a simple rectangle of wood for a mantle. Although it does depend a bit on the decor, something sleek and fancy just doesn't work with undressed stone like that - if it was cut blocks, smooth stone, etc. it'd have a more finished look and a fancier mantel would work better.

You can add supports or not, depending on how you want to frame it/budget/etc. It's unusual to have a stone fireplace like that without the stone going all the way up the wall, but not that unusual.

Lol, not a critique of style or aesthetic but I know me and at a glance if I had a mantel extending out like the latter picture I’d absolutely wreck my elbow/hip/side on it multiple times per week while walking past, my clumsiness requires some planning around

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Fiz is still young and able, turn that thing into a slide and have a ladder leading back up to the top imo.

As a bonus it would lead whoever buys the house next to go even more wtf is this crap in the future.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I don't know if it is my house or if everyone feels like this, but I swear my parents house did not fall apart as fast as my house. Maybe they were just constantly getting stuff fixed that kid me did not pay attention to. I guess my house is also 30 years older. Some sort of accelerated house entropy zone.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I want a house :mad:

Yeah, as someone who walks with a cane, has two bad legs and a broken back, just looking at that staircase gave me the willies.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Play, I'm very sorry about your old man dog. Sounds like he was amazing and you were lucky to have so much time with him, but it's still never enough.

Fiz, remember it's a marathon and not a sprint. Prioritize anything that mitigates damage, and anything else is cosmetic.

Our 12 year old kitty went in for teeth cleaning yesterday, which involves general anesthesia. Next day and he still is barely able to walk, hopefully because of the vet taking two different samples from what ended up being a fatty tumor on his back leg. The big things were making sure he eats and pees in the first 24 hours. We moved one of his two litterboxes (we had two cats for so long, just kept both boxes) from the basement (no stairs for loopy cat) to our on-suite bathroom. He pooped in it a bit, but wouldn't pee. I mentioned a few times that he pees in one, poops in the other, but both of us figured that was a luxury and not a requirement for him. This afternoon I left work a little early because we were coming up on 24 hours with no pee. On a lark I moved the other box (the pee litter box) upstairs about five minutes before we're out the door to go back to vet just on the 1% chance that was the issue.

Little fucker immediately walked in and peed. He waited a full god drat day because it wasn't the ~right~ litterbox. Cats are such a pain in the rear end but I was still almost in tears out of relief when he did it

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I lived for 4 years in a 4-story Baltimore rowhouse that had only a steep, narrow wrought iron spiral staircase as the way to get up and down

This patio staircase, is like baby

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Pain of Mind posted:

I don't know if it is my house or if everyone feels like this, but I swear my parents house did not fall apart as fast as my house. Maybe they were just constantly getting stuff fixed that kid me did not pay attention to. I guess my house is also 30 years older. Some sort of accelerated house entropy zone.

I was gonna say a lot of newer houses aren't as durable as they used to be, but if yours is older than your parent's was that might also be it.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Pain of Mind posted:

Skwirl posted:

I was gonna say a lot of newer houses aren't as durable as they used to be, but if yours is older than your parent's was that might also be it.

Our current (1993) house is much worse built than the 1980 one we had first. Some of it is PO remodel fuckery, but there is some stuff that was low-quality original build.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
My house was built in 1946. In the 8 years we have owned it, it has appreciated more than the cumulative total of my salary in the same time period. We are like a 3 income family!

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Basketball owns

https://twitter.com/gifdsports/status/1519129576550588417

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

FizFashizzle posted:

From this window you can see Mt. Pisgah on a clear day.

AHHHHHHH

FTFY

Congrats friend, that's one hell of a house. I'll echo what others have said--fix the things quickly that may turn into long term issues, then take your time and relish the other projects.

I also agree 100% on Leper's mantel suggestions. Keep it simple. Beowulfian.

I'm very sorry about your puppy. I'm also glad he had such a long and fruitful time with a conscientious and loving dog-parent.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Ja Morant is so cool

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Leper the gf states you have verbalized everything she hated about the fireplace.

Thank you.

Also goon air bnb just saying.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Freaquency posted:

Ja Morant is so cool

If your mind can't deal with all four of those at once like mine can't:

https://twitter.com/SheaSerrano/status/1519133956368736264

loving Ja.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Fiz that house looks amazing and I'm insanely jealous as I'm stuck renting this place in perpetuity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Congrats on the house Fiz! That's good poo poo.