Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

bird food bathtub posted:

I want to print a slug too at some point. Is there a specific search term on a specific site to look for the file for that one? Yeah I'm behind the times too but it's neat.
Original https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4727448
Curled up version so you can print it bigger https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5091680

Roundboy posted:

If you follow the improved flexi rex page it takes you to his GitHub, which has separate stls for each segment in a top and bottom half to assemble it. It also allows you to print it HUGE.
Let me know how that one turns out, please. WiP is also ok, I'm interested in how the seam will look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

CH Science posted:

Okay cool. Got one on the way. Fan noise I/we can deal with, hoping that high pitched whine will at least be lessened with the upgrade. Thanks dudes.

Enjoy your venture into firmware if it isn't a drop-in replacement.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Hey RabbitWizard, can you print a holder for a Bosch Zamo?
-Sure! Won't take long.
10 minutes later sliced, 2 hours later printed:

Wait, wouldn't it be funny if there was like a Bosch logo but it is wrong like a cheap knockoff?
3 loving hours later I sliced the final version. Just needed to learn using svg-files in Blender and oh god was it a fiddly process altogether. I needed to print it on the bottom, so i cut the logo 0.4mm out of the original model, sliced one 0.2mm layer of the full model, printed it. Printed 2 layers @0.2mm each of the logo. Then printed the remaining model.
Sadly I got a tiny error in there but it is the best thing I ever printed. The print got done an hour ago but I'm still laughing every time I look at it. Worth it.

RabbitWizard fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 26, 2022

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
No ring?

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 26, 2022

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

Thanks to the help here I've been off to the races printing tons of poo poo and going whole hog on the hobby. Just finished up a Rainbow Crystal Dragon this morning for my son that is just so damned cool looking.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I need to get that STL to try as well. I do t have any cool pla left though. It's the $3 on cults., Right?

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

Roundboy posted:

I need to get that STL to try as well. I do t have any cool pla left though. It's the $3 on cults., Right?

Cost me $4, but yeah it's on there. It fit on my bed without resizing and without any supports.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Anyone know of DIY cheap cartesian designs that use a single Z motor with integrated lead screw? I have a spare that I'd like to turn into something. Looking at the makergear micro right now but it's fairly constrained to its choice of control board, specific linear rail length, etc.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

mewse posted:

Anyone know of DIY cheap cartesian designs that use a single Z motor with integrated lead screw? I have a spare that I'd like to turn into something. Looking at the makergear micro right now but it's fairly constrained to its choice of control board, specific linear rail length, etc.

Roll your own Prusa Mini with substitutions on controlboard/firmware/etc.?

You're hosed if that screw gets bent at any point during assembly, though.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Ratmtattat posted:

Thanks to the help here I've been off to the races printing tons of poo poo and going whole hog on the hobby. Just finished up a Rainbow Crystal Dragon this morning for my son that is just so damned cool looking.

stl link? Howd you do the color change?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

The Flexi Dragons and Crocs are fun prints

Here's one fresh off the print bed, scaled up to 150%

Next to his friend flexi dragon robot

Flexi Croc is printing in Fusion Ionized Cobalt Black ABS and Flexi Dragon Robot is in Atomic Neon Green UV Reactive ABS

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

CH Science posted:

Okay cool. Got one on the way. Fan noise I/we can deal with, hoping that high pitched whine will at least be lessened with the upgrade. Thanks dudes.

Get quieter fans too. They do make a ton of difference. When the servo whines stops, I guarantee you’ll start hearing the fans.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
The patterns from the layer lines really complement that croc along with the color (unusual for 3d prints, really)

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

ilkhan posted:

stl link? Howd you do the color change?

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/art/crystal-dragon-articulating-flexi-wiggle-pet-print-in-place-fantasy -- had to buy it from here, but it's cheap at least

The color change was from buying rainbow PLA from amazon. I used this one -- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NJNPG4F?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1 -- but technically any "rainbow" pla will work.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

This is awesome. You are awesome.

GotDonuts
Apr 28, 2008

Karbohydrate Kitteh
Still working on converting the middle shelf of my print table to a 10 spool rack to feed my palette, any suggestions on how to make the passthroughs for the filament to go through the table to the palette without sacrificing the controlled box I have made to keep filament dry? I will only need 8 holes to feed the colors to the palette.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

GotDonuts posted:

Still working on converting the middle shelf of my print table to a 10 spool rack to feed my palette, any suggestions on how to make the passthroughs for the filament to go through the table to the palette without sacrificing the controlled box I have made to keep filament dry? I will only need 8 holes to feed the colors to the palette.

The usual solution is a cable gland, perhaps a 4x2 one with holes small enough to pass the PTFE tubing through.

You might be able to find some kind of fireproofing ethernet gasket. That should be panel mountable, and a nice snug fit for the tubing.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

GotDonuts posted:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3989587 or something of that general type works fine.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Kalman posted:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3989587 or something of that general type works fine.

It didn't occur to me to use a printed thing.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
at 350% this thing is going to be massive. Click for big

This is half of just the head:

Ender 3 print bed for scale:

Unfortunately I had a bit of warping in the ABS i am using, so I am printing the other half in PLA in a color i want to use overall just to see how it will match up. I think this part is probably burned though

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

insta posted:

In the 3d printing thread? That's just shameful.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

insta posted:

Bro do you even 3d print?

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
:justpost: but :justprint:

insta
Jan 28, 2009

withak posted:

Bro do you even 3d print?

Yeah, but, like ... dick keychains for myself and useful mechanical parts for others. Rarely dick keychains for others or useful mechanical parts for myself.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Doctor Zero posted:

Get quieter fans too. They do make a ton of difference. When the servo whines stops, I guarantee you’ll start hearing the fans.
Shopping for fans is a terrible experience and user reviews can differ so much. Spending more money can just result in another sticker on the fan. Any brands you/anyone would recommend? I didn't do the switch to 12V yet and it would be ok if I don't have to.

cruft posted:

This is awesome. You are awesome.
:3

drat. Any idea how much filament it will cost?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Roundboy posted:

at 350% this thing is going to be massive. Click for big

This is half of just the head:

Ender 3 print bed for scale:

Unfortunately I had a bit of warping in the ABS i am using, so I am printing the other half in PLA in a color i want to use overall just to see how it will match up. I think this part is probably burned though

Welp, I now know what's next on my list to print. I certainly don't need a 350% flexi rexi, but gently caress it!

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Anybody want free DnD mini models?

https://imgur.com/a/1R9Rt8G

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Printed this part twice and got... layer shift? Z banding? ... fuckery. Got fuckery in about the same spot both times.

Before I start tearing my printer apart to check the z screws, what am I looking at?

edit: I was told to look into the Jerk Control setting in Cura

Ego Trip fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 27, 2022

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

RabbitWizard posted:

drat. Any idea how much filament it will cost?

All of it. the original head half was warped so i switched to a full PLA spool to print the other half and the rest, and eventually the first head half again. I imagine its going to be a good portion of a spool, but then again, so was a large slug.

I need to do some printer maint. but i just cant stop kicking off all day prints.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Ego Trip posted:

Printed this part twice and got... layer shift? Z banding? ... fuckery. Got fuckery in about the same spot both times.

Before I start tearing my printer apart to check the z screws, what am I looking at?

edit: I was told to look into the Jerk Control setting in Cura

Those blobs are very concerning, and tell me that you have filament leaking outside of the normal extrusion path.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

Oh uh

Obviously I've removed the nozzle, but something has gone very wrong. There's a wad of plastic all over in there

Ego Trip fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 27, 2022

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I had that happening when my live-z wasn't properly set. As the part warped up slightly, it would start grinding on the nozzle when lifted off the plate. It would overextrude and eventually get level shifts as it printed.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Ego Trip posted:

Oh uh

Obviously I've removed the nozzle, but something has gone very wrong. There's a wad of plastic all over in there

I would bet that when you most recently changed nozzles, you didn’t fully tighten the nozzle against the heatbreak, leading to plastic oozing out the top of the heat block.

(I would bet that because when I did it it looked like that.)

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
My printer is sitting like that while I procrastinate cleaning it off and reassembling the hot end, too.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
The flexi rex is coming together, but i am planning ahead with the feet part of the build. Since i have a grid infill and this thing is mostly hollow, i was thinking about stopping it at some point before the top layers are added, and filling the inside with some sort of heavy material to help weigh it down.

I did play with making it more solid infil, but that triples the time and plastic investment, and i can easily fill it with 'stuff' .. but what exactly? Fishing weights, BBs ? some sort of gel ? shredded remains of failed prints ? I shy away from BBs because i would hate the rattling noise but more plastic just seems too light for the given volume

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CH Science
Sep 11, 2019

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Enjoy your venture into firmware if it isn't a drop-in replacement.

Luckily it is. Sovol SV01 so its just a Creality board. Got it installed, updated to the BLTouch version of the firmware, and boom we're printing again.

Ya'll weren't kidding. The difference is absolutely massive. Annnnnd now I want quieter fans :cry:

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

Kalman posted:

I would bet that when you most recently changed nozzles, you didn’t fully tighten the nozzle against the heatbreak, leading to plastic oozing out the top of the heat block.

(I would bet that because when I did it it looked like that.)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what happened.
I changed filament at the same time and the blob was all the new stuff.

Small print on now to make sure that it's not a bigger issue. No blob around and the print looks much cleaner already.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Roundboy posted:

I did play with making it more solid infil, but that triples the time and plastic investment, and i can easily fill it with 'stuff' .. but what exactly? Fishing weights, BBs ? some sort of gel ? shredded remains of failed prints ? I shy away from BBs because i would hate the rattling noise but more plastic just seems too light for the given volume

If you happen to have a jar of useless pennies, that's a good option

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Ego Trip posted:

That's not a Z problem. That's an X-Y problem.

The loose nozzle might have been the problem. The blobs were definitely due to nozzle leakby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

BMan posted:

If you happen to have a jar of useless pennies, that's a good option

I like to use BBs and pour rubber cement or something on it that will turn it into one big heavy glob rather than a maraca.