Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

hatty posted:

For TV cartoons it feels like a growing trend is VAs just doing their normal voice. I watch a ton when my Niece or little cousins are visiting and most characters just sound like normal people. It’s strange to see after growing up with Rocko and Ed Edd n Eddy where everyone sounds so over the top

Maybe this is the answer and I just need to change my expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://mobile.twitter.com/SuperMarioFact/status/1519000100281888773

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

My 8-year-old iPad mini is starting to suffer, it can’t run amazon video apparently. I’ve been generally happy with it but I’m not married to apple, so I thought I’d ask for a replacement recommendation.

Here are the things I use my tablet for:
- Netflix
- YouTube
- something awful (old social media website)
- Ghost Trick, other video games
- podcasts
- surfing cyberspace
- my alarm

Thank you!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Any tablet made in the last year will be perfect for that. I am only up to date on Apple stuff, but something from Samsung for tablets is probably perfect for Android.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
A base iPad goes for $280 pretty regularly and it’s hard to beat that value

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
When I researched it a while back the overall impression was that Apple is still the king of tablets.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I don’t think android can even play Ghost Trick

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Vindolanda for me

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Quest for Glory 2 was released in 1990? The same year as King's Quest 5 and Secret of Monkey Island?

Why the gently caress did QfG2 use a motherfucking TEXT PARSER?! :psyduck:

I just found out I can't play the VGA remake in ScummVM since it's an .exe file.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Tomorrow is the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv76dPXxfT8

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I think I always take more notice when it's the other way around. Like a Phil Lamarr or H Jon shows up in something live action and I'm like oh yeah they do that too

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

I think I always take more notice when it's the other way around. Like a Phil Lamarr or H Jon shows up in something live action and I'm like oh yeah they do that too

Keith David is an actor first and yet everytime Im like oh poo poo is that a physical Keith David???

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Barudak posted:

Keith David is an actor first and yet everytime Im like oh poo poo is that a physical Keith David???

Keith David’s done live action? I’ve only really known him as a voice actor, any particularly notable roles you can think of?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They Live.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Platoon
Armageddon

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Larryb posted:

Keith David’s done live action? I’ve only really known him as a voice actor, any particularly notable roles you can think of?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11dZSPIe9UU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAIJD5OA4y0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6shktwDwzM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GARLWcBZMy8

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Larryb posted:

No he hasn't everyone else is trying to trick you

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah, I don't watch a lot of movies to be honest so that'd explain it. Neat

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Has he been in anime?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Larryb posted:

You should watch The Thing for a nice relaxing film.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Has he been in anime?

He was apparently in an anime called 3x3 Eyes back in 1991 but that seems to be the only dubbing role I could find on his Wikipedia page

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Larryb posted:

check out pitch black

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Larryb posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gr0pKI-eeg

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

He’s more prolific than mark hamill

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Larryb posted:

He was apparently in an anime called 3x3 Eyes back in 1991 but that seems to be the only dubbing role I could find on his Wikipedia page

Hell yeah he was

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

Has he been in anime?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

He’s more prolific than mark hamill

It’s still so surreal that the guy that played the protagonist of one of the most beloved franchises of all time is best known for voicing The Joker by nerds instead of his career blowing the gently caress up, but I guess that’s cause Luke’s in the same movie as Han Solo.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The crash hosed his whole career up

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Did it? I wasn’t aware how bad it was, that’s a shame even if the dude clearly adores voiceover work.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Only Harrison Ford escaped Star Wars unscathed

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

hatty posted:

Only Harrison Ford escaped Star Wars unscathed

Natalie Portman, James Earl Jones

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Liam Neesons.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

To be fair, a lot of those actors already had successful careers before they were in Star Wars

Gaius Marius posted:

Not counting Star Wars has Hamill been in a live action movie or series since the accident out of curiosity or does he primarily just do voicework these days?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Did it? I wasn’t aware how bad it was, that’s a shame even if the dude clearly adores voiceover work.

Not really. It seems he just didn't want to get typecast. He ended up doing some theatre work and a few more films.

Larryb posted:

To be fair, a lot of those actors already had successful careers before they were in Star Wars

Not counting Star Wars has Hamill been in a live action movie or series since the accident out of curiosity or does he primarily just do voicework these days?

Star Wars was his first film, and the crash happened right after it so all his Film work except Star Wars and maybe Corvette Summer are post crash. I think he was in Kingsman but that's the last I've seen of him

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

The crash did nothing to hurt his career. I think the dude is just happy doing cartoons and campy comic shows.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Mark Hamill rules

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

hatty posted:

For TV cartoons it feels like a growing trend is VAs just doing their normal voice. I watch a ton when my Niece or little cousins are visiting and most characters just sound like normal people. It’s strange to see after growing up with Rocko and Ed Edd n Eddy where everyone sounds so over the top
FWIW, the Bigheads' kid in Rocko was just the creator's regular voice. And Rugrats had pretty normal voice acting from the adults. I think there's just not a need for gimmicks anymore? People were a little upset at Huey Duey and Louie having regular voices in the recent Ducktales reboot, but then when the show actually aired they became fine with it.

But if you want classical villain voices or w/e from the zoomer generation, well.. there's always theater kids.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Last Celebration posted:

It’s still so surreal that the guy that played the protagonist of one of the most beloved franchises of all time is best known for voicing The Joker by nerds instead of his career blowing the gently caress up
That's because people saw Slipstream

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i didnt even know he was in a crash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

FWIW, the Bigheads' kid in Rocko was just the creator's regular voice. And Rugrats had pretty normal voice acting from the adults. I think there's just not a need for gimmicks anymore? People were a little upset at Huey Duey and Louie having regular voices in the recent Ducktales reboot, but then when the show actually aired they became fine with it.

But if you want classical villain voices or w/e from the zoomer generation, well.. there's always theater kids.

Going back to an early topic, Keith David basically only has one voice as well but somehow it works for every role he plays (no matter whether the character is a hero or a villain)