Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Residency Evil posted:

The targa wheels that came with my 993 coupe had some peeling clear coat in places so I got them refinished. Annoyingly, I couldn’t find anyone to take them apart completely, which is apparently a known problem with the 2 piece targa wheels. Guy ended up masking them off/painting them in two parts. Turned out great. :toot:

and yet i see you out here bidding on 993 Tech wheels

does the NAP have to cover AI, BFC, and BaT?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

and yet i see you out here bidding on 993 Tech wheels

does the NAP have to cover AI, BFC, and BaT?

:blush:

Should have bought them a year ago when they were $2-3k. For the silly numbers they're getting now, I'll just get E88s at some point.

morethanjake32
Apr 5, 2009
Well, I joined the club, it wasn’t what I was shopping for, but drat it’s a niceride.
2011 with 50k on the clock.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

kensei posted:

Thanks, I was going to order the CTEK along with the 12v adaptor but I will see how hard it is to just route the cables, I should be able to do that.

I got the CTEK and hooked it up, the charger went into the reconditioning mode and now the car starts better... Cool!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

morethanjake32 posted:

Well, I joined the club, it wasn’t what I was shopping for, but drat it’s a niceride.

Congrats. How do you like it?

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

morethanjake32 posted:

Congratulations! Would love to see it cleaned up and under nice lighting

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

kensei posted:

I got the CTEK and hooked it up, the charger went into the reconditioning mode and now the car starts better... Cool!

I got a CTEK for my wife's car since her commute is so short the battery wasn't charging. I didn't think I could have strong feelings about a battery tender, but the thing is great.

Looks like I'm doing a 2 day Porsche track school in Alabama this fall with some friends. :toot:

morethanjake32
Apr 5, 2009

got off on a technicality posted:

Congratulations! Would love to see it cleaned up and under nice lighting

Thanks, it’s been poo poo weather in Nashville, and I just moved and don’t know anyone- I really need to find someone to do some paint correction and ceramic coat it.

I really like it, it’s the 4, so just the baby motor and no turbo, but with all wheel drive, but it’s definitely fast enough for me. It’s surprisingly comfortable on the highway, 80 feels like 35. The interior is in pretty good shape for 11 years old, and as far as I can tell, everything works.
The awd is pretty disconcerting as low speeds when it’s cold, the first time I turned full lock in 30 degree temps I thought that the cv joints were toast, but some looking and googling says that the tires will skip like a truck left in 4 low.
The hatch is great, and the backseats fold flat- should be able to get some large poo poo back there if I need to.
I wanted something
1. Quick
2. Comfortable and nice on the inside for around town but also 12 hour road trips
3. Interesting to look at and fun to drive
This checked all the boxes
Overall 10/10 would buy again.

Edit: it did come with the chrono package, which is night and day from the default and even the “sport” setting. It’s “extremely snappy “ to quote my mom.

morethanjake32 fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 23, 2022

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
These GT4RS reviews make it sound like the best car they’ve made.

:negative:

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Residency Evil posted:

These GT4RS reviews make it sound like the best car they’ve made.

:negative:

I can't get over how dumb the fake manual gear lever looks, wish it was just the normal robot arm PDK lever, otherwise the car looks awesome (if MSRP were a thing anymore).

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I just want a 718 Spyder for MSRP.

edit; though I'm legit tempted to try and figure out how to make this work:

https://www.porschenortholmsted.com/inventory/certified-used-2022-porsche-718-boxster-25-years-rwd-2d-convertible-wp0cd2a8xns228407

kinda hideous, but pretty awesome.

dema fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 24, 2022

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Voltage posted:

I can't get over how dumb the fake manual gear lever looks, wish it was just the normal robot arm PDK lever, otherwise the car looks awesome (if MSRP were a thing anymore).

It looks incredible. I have a few calls out and don't care when I get it, I just don't want to pay more than the (already ridiculous) MSRP. It'd be incredible to do a ED trip in 2023/2024 if I were so lucky.

dema posted:

https://www.porschenortholmsted.com/inventory/certified-used-2022-porsche-718-boxster-25-years-rwd-2d-convertible-wp0cd2a8xns228407

Do eeeeeet

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

dema posted:

Owns.

We got our Macan from them new and I bought my used S4 from the MB dealer next door. They're good peeps compared to the beechwood dildos and most dealers in general.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I can't get over $130K :911: for a Boxster. I genuinely had no clue they cost that. Isn't that well into 911 territory? Or am I about 10 years behind on pricing?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

slidebite posted:

I can't get over $130K :911: for a Boxster. I genuinely had no clue they cost that. Isn't that well into 911 territory? Or am I about 10 years behind on pricing?

It depends on what you mean by "911 territory," because the 911 you want is now like 150k+.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Cheapest Boxster is what $80k now? My 2005 S with every option was $50k MSRP.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

slidebite posted:

Yeah but some people want the engine in the middle. Also that's a special edition whatever whatever.

BigPaddy posted:

Cheapest Boxster is what $80k now? My 2005 S with every option was $50k MSRP.

Allegedly a no option 718 boxster has an MSRP of 59.6, but you'll never see one.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

slidebite posted:

Right. But any of the 718 Boxsters with the NA 4L flat six (GTS 4.0, 25th Anniversary, Spyder) are going for about that on the used market right now.

Unless the economy takes a total poo poo, I'm suspecting we're going to see big increases in MSRP.

Russian Bear posted:

Also that's a special edition whatever whatever.

They actually seem to go for a little less than the other 4L cars. I think the black one I posed looks good, but most of them are silver and, IMO, a total miss.

dema fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 24, 2022

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I have a V070 (ie, a dream, not an actual allocation) order placed. :toot:

Maybe I'll get extremely lucky in a year or two.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

My wife got me a back camera and rear view mirror package for the Boxster as a Christmas present, and I was finally able to get into BestBuy for the installation. I was talking to the tech and he mentioned that while the Rexing was a nice package, they had some returned too. They had one of the really nice fisheye ones which mount almost flush and look OEM, so I took the leap on that along with a new Pioneer head unit to replace the 10 year old one in it. It's so much louder with a gorgeous display, and the wireless Android Auto/Apple CarPlay sealed the deal. Very pleased.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I really would want to put a CarPlay head unit in mine but I am kind of screwed since it has the fiber optic sound system which adds an adaptor as more complication and I would probably lose the CD changer. Would be great if there was a Bluetooth adaptor that wouldn’t replace the cd changer but if I have Bluetooth why would I need it? The hard questions in life.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BigPaddy posted:

I really would want to put a CarPlay head unit in mine but I am kind of screwed since it has the fiber optic sound system which adds an adaptor as more complication and I would probably lose the CD changer. Would be great if there was a Bluetooth adaptor that wouldn’t replace the cd changer but if I have Bluetooth why would I need it? The hard questions in life.

You will lose the CD changer, but I've had a fiber optic adapter in mine for years and all is good.

The thing is.....you can't change the volume on the Bose amps without the original head unit. You you need to make drat sure they set the volume to like 85% before the take out the old head unit and put in the new one. Everything else works fine after that.

Also, I was notified by about a dozen goons when blipshift put this up about 2 months ago, so I had to buy it. I finally got a frame and put it up in the barn:

The reason I was notified.......I guess they think I need more round lights on mine. I should get on that.

(I started out with the spare on the roof but it's really WAY too much weight up way too high when you're throwing it around)

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

I have a V070 (ie, a dream, not an actual allocation) order placed. :toot:

Maybe I'll get extremely lucky in a year or two.

Good luck!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

dema posted:

Good luck!

Thanks, although I'm not super hopeful with everything that's going on. If it works out, it'd be an awesome experience.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I thought I saw something sexy through a crack in the door of a co-worker on a zoom call. I asked, and he opened the door to his garage - 356 speedster.

Also some old probably very expensive 911 that he spit some letters out about. Like, pre 964, but not really sure what gen.

And a ferrari 488 for good measure.

Some folks make too much money.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Fired up the 996 a couple days ago.

Found out I forgot to track down that airflow sensor issue over winter so now the CEL is back on.

gently caress.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Went to the Portland Swap Meet today, looking for a rear wind deflector. Did not find one, but I did find a Porsche Boxster Owner's Manual in excellent shape on sale for $6, and the guy had a half off sign because today was the last day. Got it for $3 after almost spending $75 on eBay for the same thing a month ago. Very awesome!

Now, do I buy the acrylic one that shields the headrests and center, or do I buy a glass OEM one and the mesh headrest shields? The Windblox one intrigues me and it looks like you can leave it in place full time.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Parents bought a Porsche Macaan and…I really like it. It drives well and has a nice growl when it starts. It’s comfortable and I like it’s interface. It does have a different feel than my Audi A6 when driving, feels more connected to the road through the steering if it makes sense. I also find it amusing they stuck with a sort of key turn ignition rather than a button start, it’s driver dash isn’t virtual, and it has a proper gear shifter vs buttons or whatnot. Keeps in line with a more traditional driving feel.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Saw this lovely today

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

I ended up finding one of the OEM wind deflectors on eBay for $140 and grabbed it, makes such a huge difference in the noise and wind with it installed. Going to be an excellent summer with that and the new stereo :)

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

bird with big dick posted:

Saw this lovely today

I have an irrational hate for centerlocks on non-RS Porsches (or 918s/CGTs/etc) but otherwise :hai:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Is this a good price

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

bird with big dick posted:

Is this a good price

If it's worth it to you, maybe. If you're willing to go to 8k or 16k miles, you could knock $20k off...

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I personally wouldn't entertain paying over MSRP for a used non-GT car.

My hot take is that prices on a mid range 911 like that are going to drop quite a bit in the next couple years. As supply chain issues get sorted and as EV sports cars start coming out.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That really seems crazy, but the market is so hosed right now who knows.

If someone would have told me 3 years ago where we'd be right now I say they were on glue.

IMHO a cab is always a bit of a red-headed stepchild for 911 people, regardless of the gen. Most don't like them, but the few that do seem to really like them.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Welp, one of my buddies who's smarter at owning cars than I am got a GT4RS ordered, arrives 'this summer'. Looking forward to a ride in that bad mofo.

He's already got a 900hp GT-R, a C8 Z06, and a ridiculous Agusta and I don't even think he even rides bieks very much..

(pic of that since I didn't even know what tf he was talking about when he announced he managed to get one of these until he sent the picture to the group text and it sure is purty)

dema
Aug 13, 2006

drat. I’ve never seen an MV do well in the media shootouts, they’re almost always last place, but I still want one. Oh well. I’ll suffer with my Superduke.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ether Frenzy posted:

Welp, one of my buddies who's smarter at owning cars than I am got a GT4RS ordered, arrives 'this summer'.

:sigh:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

dema posted:

drat. I’ve never seen an MV do well in the media shootouts, they’re almost always last place, but I still want one. Oh well. I’ll suffer with my Superduke.

Idk the MV looks like a giant turd to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Good luck if you break anything lol, but that’s ok because MV’s are overpriced turds for people who don’t ride.