Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Psycho Landlord posted:

it beginnnnnssssss

but for real it sounds like galciv 4 sucks, which is not surprising when the other galcivs have also sucked

Fortunately we have many good 4Xs such as the aforementioned Planetfall that I need to play more of since I have yet to try the lizard dudes or the space paladins

I mean, Endless Space had a functional fleet invasion system where your fleets had an invasion power stat that was compared to the enemy's defense stat. It was rudimentary, but an effective way to ensure that the attacker had to commit a fleet of a certain size to a certain area for a length of time, which would give the defender time to respond. The defender could increase the time required by spending resources on defense as well.

Just being able to conquer a planet because a scout ship gets in orbit is kind of poo poo in comparison. Of course people are going to complain about it; it's not a properly thought out mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Thom12255 posted:

IGN gave Gal Civ 4 a 5/10. Other outlets have been a bit kinder but it does seem like the game design missed the mark.

Wow, really? The CEO who goes out of his way to abuse his employees runs a company that released a bad game. Boy, I wonder how that happened.

Although I do admit I'm a bit curious about what changed between GC2 and 3 since that's when it started going downhill.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Dirk the Average posted:

I mean, Endless Space had a functional fleet invasion system where your fleets had an invasion power stat that was compared to the enemy's defense stat. It was rudimentary, but an effective way to ensure that the attacker had to commit a fleet of a certain size to a certain area for a length of time, which would give the defender time to respond. The defender could increase the time required by spending resources on defense as well.

Just being able to conquer a planet because a scout ship gets in orbit is kind of poo poo in comparison. Of course people are going to complain about it; it's not a properly thought out mechanic.

Thank you for agreeing with me that the game sucks I guess

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Psycho Landlord posted:

it beginnnnnssssss

but for real it sounds like galciv 4 sucks, which is not surprising when the other galcivs have also sucked

Fortunately we have many good 4Xs such as the aforementioned Planetfall that I need to play more of since I have yet to try the lizard dudes or the space paladins

galciv 1 and 2 were pretty good imo

went downhill after the 1st galciv 2 expansion

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

OTOH if you're gonna be goofing around on the scale of multiple entire planets it might be cool to actually do something with that for once instead of focusing exclusively on the tracts of absolutely fuckin nothing in between. The genre hasn't really come up with much new to do with it since 1997.

Game Idea on which I will release about as much game as the That Which Sleep kickstarter: first industrial revolution to world war 1 era magical technology flavor 4X which works on individual islands of floating rock and sea connected by naturally occuring teleporters. Far future medieval nonsense in which survivors of the singularity apocalypse who only partially understand what their tech does, let alone how it does it, do entirely planetary surface combat across the few worlds still connected to the old galatic gates.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Star Sector is an incredible space game and a decent 4X.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Starsector is great but it is not a 4x.

You should post about how great it is in the Starsector thread though, because it is great.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It’s totally a 4x. I can explore the sector and find cool stuff. I can expand onto new worlds and exploit them for resources, and I can exterminate my enemies.

The game is bundled as an rpg/combat sim but the rpg aspects are intentionally gimped to put focus on the strategic and tactical gameplay.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

LLSix posted:

Wow, really? The CEO who goes out of his way to abuse his employees runs a company that released a bad game. Boy, I wonder how that happened.

Is there somewhere that lists his supposed crimes? Like is he a Trump supporter or something.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
it's been a long-rear end time but i seem to remember the dude bringing bees into the office to prove to an employee with a bee allergy that they were just making it up

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Comstar posted:

Is there somewhere that lists his supposed crimes? Like is he a Trump supporter or something.

He's mainly just kind of a smug rear end in a top hat, but he did settle his exceptionally douchey beef with the star control 2 devs so I am less grumpy with him these days.

Oh yes, there was a sexual harassment lawsuit that settled too. I think he was sort of gamergate adjacent as well?

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Starsector with the Nexerelin mod is kinda a 4X, as it enables stuff like the other factions colonizing/invading, as well as slightly more complex diplomacy and intelligence. The most recent version added ground combat that isn't just "spend X marines" and allows occupation of planets, rebellions (which are a great money maker if you can sneak tons of heavy weapons to rebels past any blockades) and so on.
I'm not a fan of all the Nex design decisions and ground combat is still a bit eh, but it's a passable 4x with a truly excellent fleet combat and exploration game bolted on.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

sebmojo posted:

He's mainly just kind of a smug rear end in a top hat, but he did settle his exceptionally douchey beef with the star control 2 devs so I am less grumpy with him these days.

Oh yes, there was a sexual harassment lawsuit that settled too. I think he was sort of gamergate adjacent as well?

He's (still) openly a supporter of gamergate and its dealings. Then there's the stuff you touched on, where he openly created a hostile workplace and took glee in it, he believes that because its ~his business~ he should be the only one able to control how it operates. Typical libertarian bullshit. There's probably frankly more that I've forgotten at this point. He's pretty well known as a huge piece of poo poo.

If anyone is interested they can probably google brad wardell piece of poo poo and get plenty more.

edit: by "its dealings" i mean the fact that he was among the people in the mentions of people like Zoe Quinn harassing them. He knew exactly what that "movement" was.

edit 2: the Star Control poo poo he tried to pull was also scummy in a different way and I'm honestly shocked it ended as amicably as it did.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Apr 27, 2022

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
Anyone playing dune spice wars? How is it?

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

HardKase posted:

Anyone playing dune spice wars? How is it?

Bland as hell, absolutely nothing happening.

An AI attacked me, defeated my village defenses and then just left and does it repeatedly and I... absolutely didn't care, I lose 50% production from that one village for a bit. That was the only interesting thing to happen in 90 minutes.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Theswarms posted:

Bland as hell, absolutely nothing happening.

An AI attacked me, defeated my village defenses and then just left and does it repeatedly and I... absolutely didn't care, I lose 50% production from that one village for a bit. That was the only interesting thing to happen in 90 minutes.

What difficulty did you play? I just finished a game on medium and met zero resistance right up to the point where I became governor of Arrakis without knowing how I'd done it. It has a nice boardgames feel to it I guess.

[Edit] Feels a bit like Stellaris in the desert. Would be better if there was more incentive to care about all the espionage options.

ZeusJupitar fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Apr 27, 2022

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

AI in typical standard for 4X games feel a bit quiet on medium difficulty, haven't tried hard. Saying that I did get hit with a Landsraad production penalty, and the Harkkonens disrupted by harvesters using esponiage, so stuff is happening at least. I guess it could just do with being a bit more lively.

Initial impressions are good for me though - as mentioned it feels like a board game (leans quite a bit on the Dune board game actually). Very polished for an Early Access game so I'm optimistic the devs will keep supporting it.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
Yeah passive AI aside I'm quite enjoying it as someone who normally finds 4x games overwhelming.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Northgard and Wartales were/are supported quite well in EA so I’m sure this will be too. I’m glad it plays at least somewhat like Northgard because that’s a cool game and not much else does.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

LLSix posted:

Although I do admit I'm a bit curious about what changed between GC2 and 3 since that's when it started going downhill.

seems like most CEOs of developers that produce good games do this too so IDK that there's a causal connection

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Dune feels very boardgamey, and vibe-wise reminds me a bit of Offworld Trading Company. Been liking it so far, though!

Zak2k12
Dec 23, 2008

"I looked back once to the empty place where my dream had come true. Such is the stuff."

Tirranek posted:

Dune feels very boardgamey, and vibe-wise reminds me a bit of Offworld Trading Company. Been liking it so far, though!

It actually made me want to play that new Dune boardgame again, but I don't have it on hand right now. I have played about 6 hours of Dune Spice Wars so far and I kind of wish it was a boardgame instead of an RTS, because I feel like at this stage the RTS parts don't really add anything interesting to it. The units aren't very interesting and have no activated abilities or in-depth gimmicks (I only played 2 games with Atreides so far, so I might be wrong). The combat only happens in the claustrophobic spaces next to the villages, because you can't fight on the sand. I tried to ambush an enemy army at one point and we both got eaten by the sandworm. Plus you don't have that many units overall, which would be interesting if they were more difficult to use, but it's just "put the melee guys in front and maybe have them tie up the enemy's ranged units". The ornithopters can't be attacked and they give you great visibility over the enemy, too much even. This combat system is a small step up from Northgard's combat, but I wanted something more.

The harvesters have that one gimmick where they have to run from the sandworm, but then you just press a button and they go back to work, so it's just tedium. Worst case you don't notice a harvester is idle and you lose some money. Base building is kind of basic in the sense that you check what bonus resources that region has and you build the appropriate structures. Sometimes you build an airfield to get units closer to the front. Until you get a grasp on what you are doing it is very easy to deathspiral because you run out of a certain resource. One game my water production just got cut in half for some reason (I could never find out why, I think it was a bug), and my villages started revolting at the same time the enemy was attacking me. Overall the exploration and expansion parts feel pretty ok and there are some choices to be made as in what zones you capture first, but this felt more engaging in Northgard.

I do like the spy system, it feels like a lot of effort was put into it and some of the abilities you can deploy are very powerful. You can vote on resolutions and some of them have interesting effects, but having to stop and do it so often takes me out of the RTS part. This kind of thing would have been more suited in a turn based game in my opinion. The research tree felt kind of small when I first saw it, but it takes a while to get through all the branches, so it's fine. The AI is somewhat competent, it knows when you are weak and it can attack, it tries to retreat, but it also takes battles it can't win. I've seen it do braindead things too, so your mileage will vary. I am quite sure it "cheats", because on multiple occasions I wiped out stacks of 10+ units only to see it fly in a new stack of fresh, recruit level units faster than I could have recruited them. The fremen raids are the most tedious because you can't even give them water to make them stop until you discover their bases, which only happens after the midgame through some system I don't understand yet (I know there is some sietch discovery stat, but it's not well tracked). Having to give up an entire spy to ally with the sietch seems kind of a steep price, and some sietches have completely useless bonuses.

Overall I hope they add some more flavor to the game, because it feels somewhat lacking in that department. I don't think they had any creative ideas on how to do an RTS in the Dune universe, they just took the Northgard systems and translated them to Arrakis. I don't want to call it Northgard with a Dune skin, but at this point I'd rather play Northgard since it has years of development in its gameplay systems. I know it's unfair to compare them like this since Dune is in early access and hopefully they add more stuff to it down the road. Where are the Bene Gesserit and the Sardaukar? Maybe add some way to make alliances with the outside factions so they give you unique units and buildings. Add Paul Atreides you cowards!

What I really wanted was for someone to just remake Emperor: Battle for Dune, but I think given enough time they will turn this Dune game into something interesting too. It's just not at the moment.

Zak2k12 fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 27, 2022

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Didn't read the IGN review for GalCiv so I'm not sure all of what they brought up, but it's definitely a terrible game. I'm not even sure I'd rate it a 5/10. Many of the same problems GalCIv3 had still exist, but it's just gotten worse:

- The free form movement means you can't chockpoint/defend anything except by actively watching everything like a hawk and have units all over the place. Everytime a war started I'd split several units out of my main fleets and dot them around just to deal with stragglers running past to capture a planet or find an easy target. That may sound interesting but the practical application is you spend part of every turn just randomly scanning for new enemy units in your sight and grabbing the closest unit to deal with them. Extremely tedious and annoying, not fun at all. Which isn't that much different from GalCiv 3.

And related to that the movement speeds are so slow relative to the distances you quickly start dealing with that you'll have tons of ships strung out doing love multi-turn movements and reacting to any new situation requires minutes of re-ordering fleets around. I was literally breaking up my empire into inefficient chunks just to not have to deal the pain of moving ships around (not just combat ships, but your supply ships for supporting low production/new worlds, asteriod miners, construction ships, on and on).

And do you like border gore? Do not play this game if your answer so that is no. Unless you're go full murderhobo with no friends, the border gore will be insane.

- The tech tree is about a couple dozen or so unique and interesting techs, all of which are front-loaded, then a long list of +x percent increases or new modules which is ultimately just a +x percent increase. With practically zero investment in research any race will see everything notable out of the tech tree in the first 50-100 turns.

- Everything has stats but it's all pointless. Faction population of their own minor bonuses and every population unit comes with their own stat set which affects how much you get from them (cash, production, etc...). But the bonuses are so small that they're looking at them individually is literally meaningless. You can't even minmax with them if you really wanted to. At least as far as I'm aware.

- The building system works on adjacency bonuses on a hex map. A production building boosts other production buildings next to it and so on. However unless you can get a perfect setup or you're dealing with late game production setups, the bonuses are like population, so small as to be pointless. A baseline production tile gives you 2% to your production rating and by placing another building next to it and increasing the level by 1 you get... 3% on each of them. Amaze-balls. And the number you're increasing itself isn't going to be huge to begin with, as in low to mid double-digits depending on how you setup your empire.

- Finally so much poo poo is unexplained or shown in very unintuitive ways. Nothing explains how freighter works so you could just as easily try to send it to your colony thinking it'd be an internal boost, but nope, doesn't work like that. Population growth for a planet can be found by a tooltip over a very small icon in the corner of a planets portrait in the main map, but it only tells you the growth per turn and not how much more you need. To find that you have to go into the planet screen and look on the top right. Want to figure out how literally any action actually has an impact on a colony? Break out the calculator and start cross-referencing three+ different tooltips.

It's just so bad. Honestly I picked up the game because some people had praised it that I felt I had similar tastes to but it's just one bullshit and tedious thing after another. I legitimately can't think of a single positive thing to say about it, other than maybe the couple bugs I encountered were nothing significant. Everything it might do well is quickly drowned out by being repetitive or not worth your actual attention for how insignificant it is in game. I can't think of any other game like it, that pulls so hard at your attention for focusing on the details but then utterly fails to pay off even once for doing so.

Edit:
After posting this and calming down from the rant state a better way to summarize the above is the game isn't bad to play. Like it's functional and well put together. But every step of the game is a serious of steps building to a pay off and the pay is never satisfying in any way. If you want to get the experience of playing GalCiv4, just go watch unsatisfying videos on Youtube. Same feeling at the end, only in a few minutes instead of hours upon hours of time and 40 dollars.

nessin fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 27, 2022

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
GalCiv 4 is one of the most visually cluttered games I've seen and that alone would put me off from trying it.

Speaking of Stardock games, I've been playing some FE:LH again lately and its really not bad. It's extremely janky, but at least it's stable these days. I enjoy the city building mechanics, where you specialize your cities as they grow, and the tactical combat is rough but fun enough. It has pretty fleshed out unit designer, though most designs inevitably boil down to "best armor\shield + best mace available". Still good fun in conjunction with a high level spellcasting sovereign, it can scratch that MoM itch with its decent selection of battlefield or world altering spells. The AI is absolutely goddamn braindead though, which is surprising considering it shares so much DNA with GalCiv 2. This game is a decent pick at $5, maybe $10. I got it for free because I was dumb enough to buy the precursor game which was so bad they gave away the sequel as an apology.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 27, 2022

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

nessin posted:

Didn't read the IGN review for GalCiv so I'm not sure all of what they brought up, but it's definitely a terrible game.

The review brought up most of that stuff, yeah. Although they liked the building placement stuff more than you did so maybe that's why they gave it a 5.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I like new dune so far. it's really tough to tell if an RTS is going to actually be good with only a few hours in but I accidentally played it til 2 am so it's not all bad.

As the Fremen ive completely ignored diplomacy and influence in order to get a fat economy with tons of authority. 2 of the AIs are ahead of me on hegemony but idk if that will happen in the future when I'm a little better at the game. I've gone from border skirmishes to all out war with the Harkonnens--their military seems a lot better than mine since I've been going full economy and they are an actual threat to take some of my towns.

The landsraad seems like it will do work to keep a skyrocketing player in check but the game might end up needing a realm divide type of mechanic too.
i never did play northgard so I have nothing to compare it to in that regard.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
So far I'm extremely short on gold and not sure how to fix it aside from getting more spice to sell it. But so far it's a lot of fun!

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

The resources feel scarce enough to make the territories with bonuses really appealing. Also getting that first sustainable 1k in a resource actually feels like an accomplishment.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

How do you get more water?

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

sebmojo posted:

Build wind traps in regions with high wind speed. There's also a special polar ice cap region which can host a unique ice mine that gives 50.

It looks like there's an issue which allows Atreides to stumble into the governorship victory and not much the other factions can do to stop them, might be worth turning that off for the time being.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

sebmojo posted:

You can build wind turbines at towns that generate more water. Also districts will generate water better than others - you can find that out by looking at the number assigned to each district in the map overlay screen. That number is basically the amount of water you'll receive for building a wind turbine there.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
How does the counsel work for the other factions? Do you just ignore the voting because you don't get votes?

NoNotTheMindProbe
Aug 9, 2010
pony porn was here
Smugglers can bribe the Landsraat and Fremen can spend their influence to get votes.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Gonna play a civ game with my brother for awhile. Should it be 5 or 6?

Also how are the DLC for those games, worth your time or skippable?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

IIRC you can make missiles to intercept other missiles separately from the specialised anti-missile missile armament. Is that not right? I remember having to do all sorts of weird poo poo on an Uncreative run or whatever the race creation choice was that removes choices from the tech tree.

You might be thinking of beam weapons, which can be mounted as heavy or point defense variants.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Agent355 posted:

If you like Civ and want to play with more cultures then the DLC is certainly worth it. However if they aren't currently on sale I wouldn't rush. When Civ 6 first released, way more people were still playing 5 than 6, but after a couple of years, Civ 6 finally overtook Civ 5 in playtime and while Civ 5 is still a top 100 played game on Steam, 6 is significantly more popular. I'm a card carrying cult of the new person so my opinion shouldn't be considered :)

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I already own both games and have played each of them a bit with other friends, first time with the brother tho. I just vaguely remember alot of diehard civ 5 fans and don't now if that attitude is still the norm and if I should start him on 5 rather than 6.

We just from 4x to 4x after a hundred hours or whatever dicking around in each, but somehow he's avoided the civ games.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Agent355 posted:

5 and 6 are similar, 6 is just more. 6 has more little mechanics to master, like the era boost system means a skilled player can even more strongly outpace a new player than was the case in civ 5

civ 5's expansion packs add good content, but the DLC is mostly flavor. likewise for civ 6, the big packs are worth consideration but the little packs can be skipped unless you get real into the game

i'd recommend civ 5 as it is cheaper and more streamlined. civ 6 isn't enough of a step beyond, it does add new mechanics but nothing that is a must see. the main difference is that civ 6 focuses a LOT more on map tile placement to build districts so that cities aren't just contained on one tile

alternatively, give humankind a look. it is still newish and full price, but has some neat features that directly address criticisms present in the civ series - as an example, where in civ you have a choice of building on the tile where your settler spawns or building very nearby, humankind includes an entire prehistoric mini-era where you can explore the map and find your neighbors before cities even matter

Agent355 posted:

I already own both games and have played each of them a bit with other friends, first time with the brother tho. I just vaguely remember alot of diehard civ 5 fans and don't now if that attitude is still the norm and if I should start him on 5 rather than 6.

We just from 4x to 4x after a hundred hours or whatever dicking around in each, but somehow he's avoided the civ games.

in this case, 5 has a shallower learning curve and is more fair to a first time player imo. its really a matter of personal choice, both 5 and 6 are good not great games

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

PerniciousKnid posted:

You might be thinking of beam weapons, which can be mounted as heavy or point defense variants.

Yknow what, I absolutely was, it’s Aurora that has the insane missile customisation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

ok I don't know if dune is actually all that great. i voted for myself as governor and won while I let the game run at 2x speed while I was completely ignoring it. The Smugglers could have given me a run for my money maybe but they never seemed interested in doing so.

it's wild to me that I've been playing these types of games since the 90s and the AI is still awful. the brood war AI would be aggressive and expand. that's about it as far as good, fair enemy AIs that I'm aware of. thread title I guess.