Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

hifi posted:

i think i saw a tweet about "heat dome: the new weather lingo" but never clicked on it, so, is a heat dome just the normal hot weather arizona experiences? we're under a heat dome from... a month from now until the monsoon season picks up, right?

It's when there is abnormally high pressure at a high altitude (like 20k ft) and this compresses the air below it making it even hotter than normal at the surface. Super hot. Climate change makes this more likely because you need hot ocean to make this happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

hifi posted:

i think i saw a tweet about "heat dome: the new weather lingo" but never clicked on it, so, is a heat dome just the normal hot weather arizona experiences? we're under a heat dome from... a month from now until the monsoon season picks up, right?

It's a bullshit clickbait word.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pryor on Fire posted:

It's when there is abnormally high pressure at a high altitude (like 20k ft) and this compresses the air below it making it even hotter than normal at the surface. Super hot. Climate change makes this more likely because you need hot ocean to make this happen.

fun

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Pryor on Fire posted:

This literally happens all the time. It's called a ridge.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Ok wait does the heat dome protect my car from heat or from snow by means of heat

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
HAS SCIENCE GONE TOO FAR!?

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

NOAA wrote an article on them so I’m gonna keep pretending they are real

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Platystemon posted:

thats a weird loving tarp

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Platystemon posted:

make it reflective and your car is heat-dome-proof too

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
zerocool weirder

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Surprising amount of faith in the humble cardboard box here

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Covering my giant truck in mulch bags to protect it from hail as I park directly next to my enclosed structure designed to a house a vehicle

in retrospect I feel slightly bad criticizing someone driving a basically reasonably-sized ranger

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i just looked up "how big can hail get" and apparently some models predict climate change to result in bowling ball sized hail lmao

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Stereotype posted:

i just looked up "how big can hail get" and apparently some models predict climate change to result in bowling ball sized hail lmao

:rubby:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I hope I live long enough to be killed by a bowling ball-sized piece of ice falling from the sky

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Paradoxish posted:

Covering my giant truck in mulch bags to protect it from hail as I park directly next to my enclosed structure designed to a house a vehicle

in retrospect I feel slightly bad criticizing someone driving a basically reasonably-sized ranger

Bonus:

It’s a Jeep thing™.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

my single car garage is old and too shallow to fit our relatively small hatchback because all cars are huge now to protect drivers and to improve pedestrian killing capabilities

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I park my car in a garage with my wife

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
a bowling ball sized chunk of ice falling from the upper troposphere is gonna go right through your roof i think

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i wish i had a garage

no scraping ice off the windshield, place to smoke weed and stare at the wall while the existential dread creeps in, maybe a workbench

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Stereotype posted:

lol hell yea

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Score another one for hermits living in caves, blind cave fish and Lord of the Rings fans. Apparently in China a few people in parts of the country still live in caves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyfxB_SqWtc

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Stereotype posted:

a quick Google suggests this is already a thing in parts of the US and Australia

apparently it usually falls at the same time as a bunch of golf ball sized hailstones so just everything gets hosed up lol

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

George H.W. oval office posted:

I park my car in a garage with my wife

I park your wife in my garage too

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

ted hitler hunter posted:

Score another one for hermits living in caves, blind cave fish and Lord of the Rings fans. Apparently in China a few people in parts of the country still live in caves.

The monolithic dome home is the home of the future! But don't take my word for it, just watch this promotional video from the good folks at the Monolithic Dome Institute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VtyRzejPPk

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Stereotype posted:

Gonna need the source for that. Hail growth is generally a function of updraft speed (proportional to instability) and residence time. The largest hail stone in the US was an irregular 8" and weighed 2 lb. That's no bowling ball.

https://weather.com/storms/severe/news/2021-06-24-texas-record-hailstone-hondo-confirmed

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
bowling ball sized hail would still weigh a lot less than a bowling ball

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

scary ghost dog posted:

Math works out to ~8 pounds, depending on the density of the ice (can be a lot of air in hailstones).

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

ted hitler hunter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyfxB_SqWtc

wtf that's so nice

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Hi, I'm Troy McClure, and

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The monolithic dome home is the home of the future! But don't take my word for it, just watch this promotional video from the good folks at the Monolithic Dome Institute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VtyRzejPPk

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

scary ghost dog posted:

see? nothing but doomers around here

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Stereotype posted:

a bowling ball sized chunk of ice falling from the upper troposphere is gonna go right through your roof i think

Not if I put a tarp on the roof!

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

build a tarpoline superstructure over your house and send that mfer back into the stratosphere or at least to your neighbor

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

god i wish I had a dome

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

hifi posted:

build a tarpoline superstructure over your house and send that mfer back into the stratosphere or at least to your neighbor

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Heat dome, atmospheric rivers, polar vortex,

Weather death sounds pretty metal.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

bomb cyclone is a personal fave

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

i like haboobs :haw:

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
i took my shirt off at the public pool and all the teenagers pointed and laughed and said haboobs and I ran away crying and never went swimming again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Stereotype posted:

covering my car in pins