Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

gently caress you I'm leaving it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Lastgirl posted:

i want to live in the first pic so loving bad, god

Seems it's a development in a Swedish village:
https://vandkunsten.com/en/projects/viken
https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...33!4d12.5775056
Basically just a small suburb in Skåne, still a 2-minute walk from a grocery store and has a network of bike/ped trails :kstare:

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

shrike82 posted:

the other driver has been dual-income households - you're kinda hosed if you're a single earner trying to buy a place

Lack of housing forces us to become wagies, get married, and have 2.5 kids.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

that's starting compensation for FAANG btw

gross

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Since facebook is now meta, wouldn't it be MAANG or MANGA?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

what is the actual data, I'm sure it's a lot but I'd like to see a source

also is that specifically for people living in SV? presumably people working remotely will be paid differently based on cost of living

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i used to live 5 minutes from google hq, can confirm that's what they make just from talking to my neighbors lol

ofc it goes up from there, one of my old neighbors moved away to take a UX lead position of some sort for over $400k up in like walnut creek

silicon valley renting was so ridiculous, eyewatering prices and a parking lot full of porsches and half the bedrooms you can see into are just a computer desk and chair next to a bed with no frame and no other furniture

and ofc in silicon valley you need two of those incomes to afford a place. my surgeon neighbors were priced out right along side us lol

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

pensions are all bullshit. Stock forever.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Elephanthead posted:

thanos has logged on
then my post would have been just "i dont think people were meant to live"

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Nitevision posted:

The solution exists, it's just mostly illegal in North America :bravo:

I live in a neighborhood where they’re putting up row after row of these

they’re all going for $500k+, more for the ones with two car garages

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
when we were there most homes were going for right around $1.4mil for like a smallish 3br

my wife's coworkers gave her the advice of "have a price point of $2.2mil" because apparently that was the sweet spot above most of the competition (so more house for your dollar) while still being low enough to avoid 100millionaire attention

lmao sure

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Since facebook is now meta, wouldn't it be MAANG or MANGA?

well, also, Netflix is losing value now, so instead of MANGA, it's ..

... OH MY!!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

no its not lol. L3s make like 200k total comp

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
it sucks that yahoo didnt maintain relevant so we couldnt have GAYMAN

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

anime was right posted:

no its not lol. L3s make like 200k total comp

what is an L3

and is total comp salary + RSUs + bonuses?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

spacemang_spliff posted:

every winter i bring up getting a hot tub to my fiancee and every year she (correctly) says "no you dumbass"

get a jacuzzi bath, simple

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

actionjackson posted:

also is that specifically for people living in SV? presumably people working remotely will be paid differently based on cost of living

https://www.levels.fyi/?compare=&track=Software%20Engineer

actionjackson posted:

what is an L3

L3, at google, is associate/junior level. One might say "recent grad" but google likes to make zero-stock offers to actual recent grads unless they went to a certain set of schools so it's not quite the same.

actionjackson posted:

and is total comp salary + RSUs + bonuses?

Yeah

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
After too much zillowing, I'm almost convinced I want to buy an old midwestern church. Change the name on the sign to the First Church of our Lady of Apathy, hang a closed sign on the door, play the badly out of tune organ at 4am on thursdays, commission a stained glass window of Jeff Bridges as the Dude. Slap a king size bed in the sanctuary and a few weed plants in a closet, ceiling mount a projector, a hut tub where the holy water usually goes, and sell all the Jesus flair on ebay.

Old churches have got to be expensive to heat, so I'll be accepting tithes.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
better desanctify the ground first so your mom can visit

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
She's catholic and I don't give a poo poo. May every person who enters my church be cast into listlessness.

Lol get someone out to cast magic on the ground. Lol.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

A family friend bought a church to live in. Mostly the basement is where you live, it stays temperate year round. She had a trampoline upstairs and you could jump really high with no fear because of the ceilings. otoh maintaining her roof was a nightmare

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Is a computer toucher someone who works in IT or just a white-collar job?

My spouse is a nurse practitioner and all our friends with stupid bullshit corporate office jobs make more than she does, despite her having a tangible skill.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Brrrmph posted:

Is a computer toucher someone who works in IT or just a white-collar job?

My spouse is a nurse practitioner and all our friends with stupid bullshit corporate office jobs make more than she does, despite her having a tangible skill.

Yeah but if she does her job wrong all that happens is someone dies or maybe gives the hospital system even more money. If a corporate guy fucks up, that spreadsheet is gonna be a disaster.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Relevant Tangent posted:

A family friend bought a church to live in. Mostly the basement is where you live, it stays temperate year round. She had a trampoline upstairs and you could jump really high with no fear because of the ceilings. otoh maintaining her roof was a nightmare

Someone near my uncle did one too, dumped a ton of money into it in the 90s, supposedly very nice.

Regardless of what I actually do for future housing, I want whichever of my nieces/nephews that takes it in my will to be very confused with what I was trying to do or what my end goal was. A church is effectively a perfect, large canvas for me to smear indecipherable symbols over next to crude drawings of bigfoot.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
A church sounds cool because you can use the main hall as like a cool studio space

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
There was a church and separate house for sale (for $90k or so for both) last year near the Wisconsin border and the owners claimed to use it as an art studio, but the pictures screamed long term storage of poo poo no one wanted 20 years ago. House was in decent shape though.

But it would be a fun project. Pretty sure I saw one in Iowa for $30k. However, Iowa.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

30.5 Days posted:

Yeah but if she does her job wrong all that happens is someone dies or maybe gives the hospital system even more money. If a corporate guy fucks up, that spreadsheet is gonna be a disaster.

I perish the thought of what happens if someone in marketing screws up

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

30.5 Days posted:

That checks out, though our friends are all at levels where they would never make a spreadsheet. They are at the level where they get to sit in meetings and make decisions but they don’t have to do any of the actual work.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Brrrmph posted:

That checks out, though our friends are all at levels where they would never make a spreadsheet. They are at the level where they get to sit in meetings and make decisions but they don’t have to do any of the actual work.

and what do you think happens if they table this for now instead of circling back later?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

After too much zillowing, I'm almost convinced I want to buy an old midwestern church. Change the name on the sign to the First Church of our Lady of Apathy, hang a closed sign on the door, play the badly out of tune organ at 4am on thursdays, commission a stained glass window of Jeff Bridges as the Dude. Slap a king size bed in the sanctuary and a few weed plants in a closet, ceiling mount a projector, a hut tub where the holy water usually goes, and sell all the Jesus flair on ebay.

Old churches have got to be expensive to heat, so I'll be accepting tithes.

When my wife and I first moved here, one of the apartments we looked at renting was in a converted church. Really pretty building but the unit was a little too small and a little too outside of our budget. We ended up renting the basement of a former cigar box factory instead lol

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Elephanthead posted:

but where are you gonna smoke weed in a snow storm?

thaank yoou!

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
No.

Bill Buckner posted:

Young people should just be smart like me and find a woman selling at a loss to spite her ex husband a decade ago smh.
I lucked out and bought my house from Zillow. They hosed up their home flipper algorithm, so they declared bankruptcy and sold a ton of houses at a loss. And they rolled over during negation too.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

We should build some soviet style housing.
This would be awesome. A lot of the old soviet apartment blocks qualify as luxury apartments today. They really overbuilt those buildings.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

actionjackson posted:

https://www.levels.fyi/?compare=Google%2CApple%2CAmazon%2CMicrosoft%2CFacebook&track=Software+Engineer

If you want to see the data, click on the levels and then filter by your state.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
dude if they forgive student debt that’ll be the ultimate own against me. i worked weekends for years to get ahead and pay that poo poo off so I could save for a house.

loll

lmaoo

I should have just borrowed for a house and deferred my loans. even if there is no student debt relief I would have been way ahead. bootstraps are for suckers.

Mod edit: removed some personal information

Somebody has issued a correction as of 16:54 on Apr 27, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

https://www.levels.fyi/?compare=Google%2CApple%2CAmazon%2CMicrosoft%2CFacebook&track=Software+Engineer

If you want to see the data, click on the levels and then filter by your state.

I feel like the people who make higher salaries are more likely to respond to this

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry