Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

ninjewtsu posted:

Northward was pretty close to being fun so hopefully this game improves on it

I really wish I could speed up in single player, it feels so goddamn slow sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Mordja posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybitD0-Mpqc
Empire at War isn't my favourite, but a bigass remake mod for it just came out that completely overhauls the space and ground combat, and the Galactic Conquest campaign in a big way. Plus it just makes an RTS from 2006 remarkably good looking.

As someone who spent a fuckton of time playing the base game and various mods for Empire at War over the years, that poo poo looks awesome.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Mordja posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybitD0-Mpqc
Empire at War isn't my favourite, but a bigass remake mod for it just came out that completely overhauls the space and ground combat, and the Galactic Conquest campaign in a big way. Plus it just makes an RTS from 2006 remarkably good looking.

That looks cool, but it weirds me out that the spaceships with sails look bigger than star destroyers. I think Disney retconned them to be more reasonably sized, but I remember star destroyers being more than a mile long.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

LLSix posted:

That looks cool, but it weirds me out that the spaceships with sails look bigger than star destroyers. I think Disney retconned them to be more reasonably sized, but I remember star destroyers being more than a mile long.

Star Destroyer is a mile/1.6km long yeah, dunno what those sail ships are, is that a sequel trilogy thing?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Empire ar War was amazing. Hope they redo the strategic UI

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Star Destroyer is a mile/1.6km long yeah, dunno what those sail ships are, is that a sequel trilogy thing?
I think they're Hutt ships and no idea their scale in relation to a Star Destroyer. And pretty much zero Star Wars mods for any game pull from the Sequel trilogy, they use the old EU stuff instead.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I dusted off my old copy of "Tom Clancy's EndWar"(xbox 360) recently and I've been hooked. I wish this game didnt flop, because there are a lot of things here i'd like to see more of; the persistent batalion system where you select your batalion and customise them with upgrades and camoflages as the campaign progresses, and the voice control where you can play the game just by using your voice.

Also another thing unique thing about this game is the camera. The primary view in the game is from the perspective of the unit you currently have selected. While it might sound limiting, once you get used to it, its actually quite immersive. You have to really be on your toes in regards to unit positioning and plan ahead. It makes for some tense moments before you establish LOS with the enemy, and for some quite spectacular moments when combat breaks out and your smack in the middle of it.

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 10, 2022

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Oh dam, I definitely played End War but have almost entirely forgotten about it.

Except for yelling into the mic that was dope i guess

Any play Distant Worlds 2 yet? Just came out looks interesting.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
The 4x thread is talking about it atm https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3928866&perpage=40&pagenumber=26#pti30

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Star Trek Armada's on sale on GOG, I've actually never really dabbled in them back in the day, are they worth checking out in TYOOL 2022?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Deakul posted:

Star Trek Armada's on sale on GOG, I've actually never really dabbled in them back in the day, are they worth checking out in TYOOL 2022?

They're decent, I think, and I like the second game for its bigass Fleet Ops mod.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
hey if you haven't tried it yet Phantom Brigade on the EGS store is Extremely Good. It's like a blending of Battletech and Laser Squad Nemesis

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Impermanent posted:

hey if you haven't tried it yet Phantom Brigade on the EGS store is Extremely Good. It's like a blending of Battletech and Laser Squad Nemesis

That sounds dope, looks like it's monoplatform with EGS until 1.0... any idea when that is?

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Egs is doing a great job of funding Early access games at least.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I can't imagine it's doing much else

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Anyone play Regiments? I watched Vulcan do a play though and it looked like maybe it was a slightly better single player experience than Warno?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Murgos posted:

Anyone play Regiments? I watched Vulcan do a play though and it looked like maybe it was a slightly better single player experience than Warno?

i really enjoyed the recent operations/skirmish mode demo. i'd say it feels a little less micro heavy and a little more tactical than warno. good flavor too

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Fuligin posted:

i really enjoyed the recent operations/skirmish mode demo. i'd say it feels a little less micro heavy and a little more tactical than warno. good flavor too

Thanks. Didn't realize it wasn't out as what I saw looked pretty complete. I'll keep my eye on it.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Anyone played The Troop? Vids look great but I'm iffy about it being early access.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

It’s not strategic but is there a foxhole thread?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

jaegerx posted:

It’s not strategic but is there a foxhole thread?

There you go, homie

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3893821&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Love you

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I played through the whole Halo Wars campaign in coop. It's fun, and has some cool missions! I think the standout is definitely the section where you're actually fighting atop your own capital ship as it flies through a Forerunner installation, defending against waves of Flood and Covenant.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Both Halo Wars games are pretty fun though the horrendous path finding did bum me out at points.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
The Purple War playtest is open to anyone on Steam. Watched a couple games then played a couple, I've never seen such a blatant Starcraft clone (and graphics are very Warcraft 3).

So yeah if you wanna try indie knockoff Starcraft go here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1582500/Purple_War/

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Not sure where to talk about Dune: Spice Wars, so I'll do it here.

Anyways, it's currently too similar to Northgard like I feared. It has the same system in Northgard where you have high upkeep and few units. No more villager work assignment, but everything takes upkeep and you can only have one of each kind of building in each province, some provinces will have POI that makes them better at producing certain thing, plascrete is wood, hegemony is renown...etc, all feel too retreaded. Tech tree is boring with most tech giving various % bonus. You have to pay taxes in spice periodically, failure to meet quota will result in penalty. Otherwise spice is your main money maker, though exchange rate fluctuate, so you can also stock up on spice to sell later.

The scale of map and units is also changed appropriately for the setting, unfortunately it makes traversing the map very slow, and make managing large realm tedious. Also there's some annoying things like harvester can be driven off by sandworm, and you have to manually send it back to work or you lose out on income.

Map movement is not as restricted, combat units can move around freely into enemy territory but units have a supply limit that drains when unit leaves friendly territory, unit out of supply will lose health very quickly and perish.

Each faction has five different unit, and there are three unit archtype, a melee unit, range unit, and demolition units (shred armor and destroy supply), then the last two are usually some variation of the above.

The main new system is that there is now a council that'll throw out proposals once in awhile that you can vote for. The person that gets the most vote will gain the proposal's benefit or penalty. Some of the effects are pretty beefy (halve construction cost, double research speed for 10min, etc). Winner takes all so it's possible you'll waste all your influence for nothing.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 27, 2022

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Cicero posted:

The Purple War playtest is open to anyone on Steam. Watched a couple games then played a couple, I've never seen such a blatant Starcraft clone (and graphics are very Warcraft 3).

So yeah if you wanna try indie knockoff Starcraft go here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1582500/Purple_War/

Gracias

edit: trip report - game was good! Framerate for 4v4 dipped a lot, but was fun otherwise!

Human race is a mix between Terran and Humans. Elf race is a mix between Protoss and Night Elves. Orc race is a mix between Zerg and Orcs. Didn't notice any Undead mechanics. If the game's marketing goes well then probably they can do some kind of Undead stuff as a 4th race or something.

Favorite part was how nobody got sexually harrassed or abused during its development.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 29, 2022

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

pedro0930 posted:

Not sure where to talk about Dune: Spice Wars, so I'll do it here.

Haven't played it myself, but there's a fairly robust discussion about the pros and cons of the game over in the 4X thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928866&pagenumber=44#lastpost

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh yeah, played some Rusted Warfare again. It's an OK, lo-fi Total Annihilation clone but what's funny about it is that one guy has made literally dozens of mods for the game, many of them full-on Total Conversions.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
https://i.imgur.com/0MQUe4z.gifv

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Hahaha awesome. I see they went for a more starcrafty resource collection. I assume the purple crystals are the main resource?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

Hahaha awesome. I see they went for a more starcrafty resource collection. I assume the purple crystals are the main resource?

Yeah they're the minerals grapestone. The little small huts on the left are creep colonies bunkers pylons Lairs, and the Orcs are like a mix between WC3 orcs and BW Zerg.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Purple war definitely looks nostalgic. What are the odds that the full game will have a single player campaign?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

avoraciopoctules posted:

Purple war definitely looks nostalgic. What are the odds that the full game will have a single player campaign?

It has a Campaign button on the main menu, so the dev(s) at least intend to do it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Is it multiplayer only or is there an AI/skirmish mode (that isnt the campaign obv)

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

Is it multiplayer only or is there an AI/skirmish mode (that isnt the campaign obv)

You can do comp stomps, up to 4v4

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

That's awesome. Def gonna be keeping an eye on this one. Wish they'd gone for a scifi setting but if it captures SC gameplay well then I cant complain.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Been watching this for a bit and it just suddenly came out today: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1309610/Line_War/

The concept is pretty neat and I'm looking for more relaxed PvP strategy games these days. It's not even in early access though the steam page notes their upcoming plans it sounds like it probably should have been. It's currently only 1v1's at the moment.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Been watching this for a bit and it just suddenly came out today: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1309610/Line_War/

The concept is pretty neat and I'm looking for more relaxed PvP strategy games these days. It's not even in early access though the steam page notes their upcoming plans it sounds like it probably should have been. It's currently only 1v1's at the moment.

It owns so much. Literally everything about it is great, save for the lack of a team mode (yet).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
My brain is having a hard time getting used to how right and left clicking works in this game. I feel like they might have missed the mark on user experience when it comes to leaning on traditional mouse controls for strategy games.

Hopefully they'll make it configurable in the future. Otherwise everything else about it is very nice. Games don't take too long. Different maps each time and you're not in constant high action panic mode from the minute the game begins. I hope this sticks around.