Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Fly Molo posted:

lmfao

REALLY YOU DONT SAY

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cloks posted:

hey, at least the age of the automobile will be over

lol

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

the age of the immobile

Brainwreck
Mar 17, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
The replies to this tweet are already absolutely insane.

https://twitter.com/KTLA/status/1519102974596829184

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

https://twitter.com/Chrisdonis62/status/1519114658426220544

rocks, sand, and other poo poo

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raine posted:

the age of the immobile

lol

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Brainwreck posted:

The replies to this tweet are already absolutely insane.

https://twitter.com/KTLA/status/1519102974596829184

I mean, some of these people are nuts, but otoh

https://twitter.com/go_kings_go25/status/1519104921731096577

https://twitter.com/sotosocal/status/1519130146036363266

I think this person knows something that we don't

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
What is 5.5? Earthquake magnitude?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
cinco de Mayo

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

I tried doing my research but Google is hiding the truth, whatever that is. Person really isn't doing a good job of spreading the Truth

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

5.5 is probably around average i'd say. not ideal but could get the job done

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

is desalination not viable for california? they are already on the ocean so it doesn't need to be transported far.

a wikipedia citation says the cost was 3.08 per 1000 gallons in 2008, based on data from a plant in florida

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
The normal average price is $1.50

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
is 5.5 the new jade helm

is it a q thing

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
lol desalination

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

actionjackson posted:

is desalination not viable for california? they are already on the ocean so it doesn't need to be transported far.

a wikipedia citation says the cost was 3.08 per 1000 gallons in 2008, based on data from a plant in florida

its extremely energy intensive, in a state that is in the process of shuttering all of it's nuclear plants and having already got rid of some big ones recently, and it still has to require new pipelines and pumping inland. pipelines are usually laid out with a particular flow pattern in mind and it's usually from the mountain ranges to the east gravimetrically going downgradient to the coastal side,so it's not just a matter of plugging in even if you had a contiguous connection.

desal is just going to be powered by burning ungodly amounts of fossil fuels

san diego just spent 1 billion on a desal plant and it still only provides <10% of the cities water at like $3000 per acre-ft. nominal costs for typical water supply are like $500-1000. It's really hard to find but it produces around 50,000 acre-ft by using 'only' 300 GWh a year, and that's super fancy high-tech 'low-energy' usage stuff. Total state generation is around 200,000 GWh/yr.

Typical suburban house uses up to about 1 acre-ft a year, more savvy houses or denser housed areas is more like 1/4 -1/2. Since we have 14.5 million households, say at 0.5 acre-ft per year, 7,250,000 acre-ft of production would require 45,000 GWh new energy to come online. That's not insurmountable compared to the 200,000 we already generate, but it's still a lot. So yes, overall it's 'viable', and that's probably what we'll do, but it's going to require a fuckload of money, fossil fuels, and lot of new infrastructure.

There's also brine and other things which we mostly just handwave away. if you care, they're actually ecologically bad. personally, I don't, the oceans are already toxic wastelands that we've wiped out so gently caress it, what's some super concentrated brine going to do, just dump dat poo poo.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 04:49 on Apr 27, 2022

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
I'm not ready for 5.5. It could be another thing to worry about.

Lilium Dimension
Feb 12, 2022

I absolutely believe people will be dying of thirst in california before they seriously consider table stakes water conservation techniques like, say, banning lawns, golf courses, almond farms, etc.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
SALT LAKE CITY (April 21, 2022) – Gov. Spencer J. Cox declared a state of emergency due to the dire drought conditions affecting the entire state. This declaration activates the Drought Response Committee and triggers increased monitoring and reporting. It also allows drought-affected communities, agricultural producers and others to report unmet needs and work toward solutions.

“We’ve had a very volatile water year, and unfortunately, recent spring storms are not enough to make up the shortage in our snowpack,” Gov. Cox said. “Once again, I call on all Utahns – households, farmers, businesses, governments and other groups – to carefully consider their needs and reduce their water use. We saved billions of gallons last year and we can do it again.”

Utah has been in drought eight of the last 10 years, and this year’s snowpack is 25% below normal. Conditions are changing rapidly as the snow continues to melt. According to the Utah Department of Natural Resources:

- 99.39% of the state is in severe drought or worse, with 43.46% of Utah in extreme drought.
- Statewide snow water equivalent (SWE), or how much water would be in the snowpack if it melted, peaked at 12 inches. This is 75% of the typical median peak of 16 inches for our water year.
- Nineteen of Utah’s largest 45 reservoirs are below 55% of available capacity. Overall statewide storage is 59% of capacity. This time last year, reservoirs were about 67% of capacity.
- Soil moisture is 4% higher compared to normal for this time of year. Wet soils are critical for effective spring runoff.
- Of the 94 measured streams, 59 are flowing below normal despite spring runoff. Two streams are flowing at record low conditions.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Increased reporting, assessments, and voluntary, individual action by rational actors is exactly what has solved all world crises so far.

*puts finger to ear*

Wait, I'm getting something from the special monitoring room...

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

what meaning does “normal” even have in a rapidly changing world?

“less than normal” snowpack IS “normal” these days

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
dump the brine on the salt flats instead of back into the ocean, cant hurt nothin

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I love how all water use restrictions never touch businesses. Lmao.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

sell the brine in those little mio water flavor bottles except brand it as an all-natural electrolyte enhancer

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Raine posted:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lilium Dimension posted:

I absolutely believe people will be dying of thirst in california before they seriously consider table stakes water conservation techniques like, say, banning lawns, golf courses, almond farms, etc.

lol there’s already entire communities getting displaced because almond farms lowered the water table below what their wells could manage

lmao

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raine posted:

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

actionjackson posted:

Whatya do with the salt?

Edit: Googling brb

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Raine posted:

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Mayor dave

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
RCP 8.5 is what we're on now, so if anything 5.5 is optimistic and/or cope.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

skooma512 posted:

8.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Oh god dammit two loving posts above me.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

skooma512 posted:

Kal
Jun 3, 2007

Lilium Dimension posted:

:actually: might need to ban a lot more than almonds

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
It means 5.5G, which is going to control us from the shadows even harder than 5G. Hope you didn't get vaccinated, sheeple

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Kal posted:

:actually: might need to ban a lot more than almonds

all mass agriculture is a nightmare of water wastage especially in california

now if you raise your own chickens on compost materials and bugs...

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Lilium Dimension posted:

They will mulch the corpses of a million children who died of thirst to use as fertilizer for the Cutie orchards. The big names in AG here have an absolute iron grip on water rights. They'll go full Water Knife before that is allowed to change.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

atelier morgan posted:

all mass agriculture is a nightmare of water wastage especially in california

now if you raise your own chickens on compost materials and bugs...
yea ameribeef is such a hilarious lol. its also great the quintessential midwestern diet is a 16oz steak with a side of potatos (its a vegetable afterall) every night.

california, for being a huge ag state, has a relatively small beef industry at least. there's also a ton of local roadside egg farms that you can get that arent produced via gigagllons of water and often use compost and roaming around off bugs.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

one serving of almonds is like 4 almonds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

T-Paine posted:

It means 5.5G, which is going to control us from the shadows even harder than 5G. Hope you didn't get vaccinated, sheeple

Gs are log scale too so 5.5G is 5 times worse than normal 5G