Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Citizen Z posted:

Looking at plugshare, I swear that 70% of the EA charger complaints are Bolts. Aside from when a stall is just offline, I've not really had any problems with EA. Sometimes takes two tries, but that's about it.

EV Gateway can go loving choke on a CHAdeMO plug though.

For a lot of Bolts you have to hold up on the plug while the initial handshake occurs, otherwise it will error out. Someone even went made a printable shim to fix it: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3862271

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Citizen Z posted:

Looking at plugshare, I swear that 70% of the EA charger complaints are Bolts. Aside from when a stall is just offline, I've not really had any problems with EA. Sometimes takes two tries, but that's about it.

EV Gateway can go loving choke on a CHAdeMO plug though.

EA has managed to implement "the rich person experience" and "the poor person experience" using the exact same hardware. Quite the feat to pull off.

My other car is a Tesla and it's just a night and day experience. Talking to a Mustang owner while charging the LEAF (which I've now sold to my dad), it became clear that we had radically different experiences at these chargers. Hers was much closer to the experience of charging a Tesla.

So, yeah, I don't doubt the poors are not happy with the poor person experience.

stevewm posted:

For a lot of Bolts you have to hold up on the plug while the initial handshake occurs, otherwise it will error out. Someone even went made a printable shim to fix it: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3862271

My problem was that I told the app I was at the wrong station. My fault. But there's no abort button or anything, you have to just sit there and wait for the app to eventually give up. I tried force-quitting the app and it let me then tell it the right charger, but I guess the back-end still wanted to wait the full 4+ minutes to time out, because it kept throwing errors.

I guess you could call me a stupid noob or something but I could see someone getting supremely frustrated with this BS. Putting gasoline in the tank is a whole lot simpler.

In summary, EA's software still has room for improvements!

cruft fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 25, 2022

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Ford has plug and charge working with EA but apparently their rates through FordPass are higher than the paid membership through EA so if you want to pay less you have to authenticate through the app to charge haha.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ford negotiated a deal to have their own customers pay more? Brilliant

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

You pay the normal rate rather than the EA membership rate (which itself has a monthly cost). Like, if you don’t pay for the EA monthly membership then you’ll pay the same rate as you would using FordPass.

E:
FordPass rate: 43c/kWh
EA rate: 43c/kWh
EA rate if you pay the $4/mo subscription fee: 31c/kWh

It basically just means Ford pass is useless for road trips using EA because even one charge pays for a month of membership. So you just turn ford pass off and have to authenticate through the EA app like the rest of the plebes.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 25, 2022

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

wolrah posted:

Chevrolet has confirmed a hybrid eAWD Corvette coming next year and full EV after that.
https://twitter.com/chevrolet/status/1518577631716913152

It's going to be an SUV, isn't it?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Three Olives posted:

2024 Chevrolet Cam-E-ro

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Three Olives posted:

If you're not into this Corvette having sliding panel doors and curtains over the windows maybe you're just too old

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

cruft posted:

EA has managed to implement "the rich person experience" and "the poor person experience" using the exact same hardware. Quite the feat to pull off.

My other car is a Tesla and it's just a night and day experience. Talking to a Mustang owner while charging the LEAF (which I've now sold to my dad), it became clear that we had radically different experiences at these chargers. Hers was much closer to the experience of charging a Tesla.

So, yeah, I don't doubt the poors are not happy with the poor person experience.

My problem was that I told the app I was at the wrong station. My fault. But there's no abort button or anything, you have to just sit there and wait for the app to eventually give up. I tried force-quitting the app and it let me then tell it the right charger, but I guess the back-end still wanted to wait the full 4+ minutes to time out, because it kept throwing errors.

I guess you could call me a stupid noob or something but I could see someone getting supremely frustrated with this BS. Putting gasoline in the tank is a whole lot simpler.

In summary, EA's software still has room for improvements!

I guess I'm in the middle with my Kia. Still have to use the app, but handshake problems are rare. Charging at 240kw next to a couple of Bolts is definitely a :smugdog: moment.

The app is total garbage, though. Plays that stupid loading animation every time you switch back to it.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
Didn't Chevy fanboys freak out when the corvette went mid-engine? I can't wait to see the outrage of an electric corvette...

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

raggedphoto posted:

Didn't Chevy fanboys freak out when the corvette went mid-engine? I can't wait to see the outrage of an electric corvette...

Every Chevy guy (myself very much included) I know is salivating and intermittently dry-humping the air regarding the C8 and the C8Z06. It’s the greyhairs that Chevy has forever designed-the-car-to-fit-two-golf-bags for that are up in arms. loving boomers, in other words.

I’m excited to see what they do with with an EV Corvette, but I really can’t bring myself to be excited for a hybrid. I feel like for a performance car, I want something with a pure experience, and no amount of engineer man-hours tuning motor cut-in and torque balancing is going to improve that. We value the imperfections in the experience almost as much as the strengths. Give me an EV Corvette that only has 190mi of range and no trunk but can beat a Tesla S Plaid from a dig/on a road course instead of a hybrid that gets 29mpg and otherwise is a regular C8 any day of the week.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
My guess would be a hybrid Corvette would take its cue from the volt, and be a PHEV that’s an EV first and hope the ice drivetrain weighs less than 50kwh of batteries.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Finally all the crazy rumors about the Corvette are coming true. I feel like I had been calling the mid-engine rumors BS for decades when they actually came out with one :v:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I saw a black Taycan Cross Turismo 4s today. Beefy looking car. Has that kinda gorilla in a 3 piece suit thing going on, especially in black. Later on I saw a regular Taycan in I think frozen blue metallic which looks really good on the car. This has been Taycan spotting with Finger Prince.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/ford/status/1517148308174610435?s=21&t=pebtlfov-YIGT94vJh6auA

Also:

quote:

Ford CEO Jim Farley said the company plans to scale production of its electric F-150 Lightning pickup faster than its competitors, with plans to increase production of the Lightning at a plant in Dearborn, Michigan, to 150,000 units in the next year or so, up from an initial target of 40,000 vehicles.

That would dwarf plans of Rivian Automotive and General Motors, which are expected to be in the tens of thousands. Both are already producing and selling pricier electric pickups in smaller and larger truck segments.

Other companies, specifically EV start-ups, have previously touted the electric pickup as a massive opportunity, but have so far failed to execute on a large scale.

“In this market, being a first mover is a very, very important move,” Farley told CNBC. “We didn’t know we’d be first, but we worked fast in case we were, and it’s worked out that way. I think it could be one of the most important advantages we have.”

Ford doing ‘whatever it takes’ to double production capacity for electric F-150: CEO
Ford is “confident” it can hit its 150,000 production target, according to Farley. He said the company has secured the lithium-ion batteries needed for that level of production – a major concern of investors and Wall Street analysts. Ford also will prioritize supplies of semiconductor chips, which have been a major supply chain problem for more than a year, for the Lightning, Farley said.

“We’re not joking. We think this is as big a product as when the Model T came out for us,” Farley said, referring to Ford’s flagship product that is credited with being the catalyst for mass adoption of vehicles from horse and buggies beginning in 1908.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/25/ford-f-150-lightning-electric-pickup-could-win-first-mover-advantage.html

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

quote:

Current Ford vehicles will not be upgradable to the new Android-based Sync — which means these first Lightnings off the line will have Ford’s existing Sync 4 system, while 2023 Lightnings that ship next year will have the new Android-based Sync, a potential silver lining for impatient preorder buyers.

That seems incredibly stupid, hopefully wrong? I assumed the reason they are called Sync 4a systems instead of Sync 4 was denote they are going to be upgraded to Android Automotive.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Too late, idiots!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Three Olives posted:

That seems incredibly stupid, hopefully wrong? I assumed the reason they are called Sync 4a systems instead of Sync 4 was denote they are going to be upgraded to Android Automotive.

Not nearly as stupid as delaying their most anticipated model in years over something as minor as what back end their infotainment uses.

4a is just the version of sync running on larger vertically oriented screens. It doesn’t have anything to do with android.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 26, 2022

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

MrYenko posted:

Every Chevy guy (myself very much included) I know is salivating and intermittently dry-humping the air regarding the C8 and the C8Z06. It’s the greyhairs that Chevy has forever designed-the-car-to-fit-two-golf-bags for that are up in arms. loving boomers, in other words.

I’m excited to see what they do with with an EV Corvette, but I really can’t bring myself to be excited for a hybrid. I feel like for a performance car, I want something with a pure experience, and no amount of engineer man-hours tuning motor cut-in and torque balancing is going to improve that. We value the imperfections in the experience almost as much as the strengths. Give me an EV Corvette that only has 190mi of range and no trunk but can beat a Tesla S Plaid from a dig/on a road course instead of a hybrid that gets 29mpg and otherwise is a regular C8 any day of the week.

Is the hybrid system similar to the McLaren P1? Is that any different than a normal hybrid like a rav4 or prius or just more powerful?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

raggedphoto posted:

Is the hybrid system similar to the McLaren P1? Is that any different than a normal hybrid like a rav4 or prius or just more powerful?

Probably more the former than the latter, but there’s not even rumors at this point.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

MrYenko posted:

Probably more the former than the latter, but there’s not even rumors at this point.

There have been rumors of a hybrid vette going back a couples of years now. There were rumors of an AWD corvette supercar called the Zora with 900hp going back to pretty soon after the C8 release. There were spy shots of a purported hybrid c8 back in 2020 but that one wasn’t AWD. And more recently the E-Ray has been mooted as a possible name for a Hybrid or EV vette, with the Zora still being a higher performance possibility slotting in above the Z06.

Motortrend did a rumor roundup about a year ago: https://www.motortrend.com/news/2023-chevrolet-corvette-e-ray-everything-we-know-hybrid-electric/

The general belief is it will have either the standard 6.2l in the middle mated with two electric motors on the front wheels similar to the i8.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Well the most recent update I got on my 3, 2022.8.3 I think, made Autopilot on a two lane highway work flawlessly (for now). Took a trip with a friend and on the way back instead of taking the interstate all the way home we wanted to stop and eat at a place that meant the rest of the drive would be done on a two lane straight route.

About 25 minutes of dusk/night driving with plenty of oncoming traffic, not a single phantom break! This is on a vision only ‘22, so I’m excited. I’ll be traveling on similar roads later next month and it’ll be a relief knowing I don’t have to be anxious and babysit my car’s computer

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
The livestream of the unveiling of Ford’s F-150 Lightning just wrapped up a few minutes ago, and while there was not a ton of new or groundbreaking information on the truck itself, Ford CEO Jim Farley did drop quite the little nugget during his speech: there’s probably an EV Ranger on the way.

“We’re already pushing dirt down in Blue Oval City in Tennessee for another electric pickup truck that’s different than this one,” Farley said.

That means there’s already another EV Ford truck in the works.

According to a Ford spokesperson, the new EV “will be a next-gen electric truck, different from F-150 Lightning.” While we cannot confirm if the new EV will be based on the Ranger or Maverick, the smart money is on Ranger.

https://jalopnik.com/ford-just-announced-a-second-electric-pickup-truck-1848844166

Me? I'd rather it be the Maverick/

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

it’ll be a relief knowing I don’t have to be anxious and babysit my car’s computer

That's kind of the problem, isn't it? Doesn't matter that it now seems a lot more capable, it's still your responsibility to unfuck the situation if the computer decides a piece of cardboard on the road is a road marking that it should turn to the left of.

Babysitting never ends.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

VideoGameVet posted:

The livestream of the unveiling of Ford’s F-150 Lightning just wrapped up a few minutes ago, and while there was not a ton of new or groundbreaking information on the truck itself, Ford CEO Jim Farley did drop quite the little nugget during his speech: there’s probably an EV Ranger on the way.

“We’re already pushing dirt down in Blue Oval City in Tennessee for another electric pickup truck that’s different than this one,” Farley said.

According to a Ford spokesperson, the new EV “will be a next-gen electric truck, different from F-150 Lightning.” While we cannot confirm if the new EV will be based on the Ranger or Maverick, the smart money is on Ranger.

https://jalopnik.com/ford-just-announced-a-second-electric-pickup-truck-1848844166

You'd hope they'd be thinking 'midsize pickup that isn't an SUV with a four foot bed'. I'd be interested in an EV Ranger that isn't crew-cab.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

You'd hope they'd be thinking 'midsize pickup that isn't an SUV with a four foot bed'. I'd be interested in an EV Ranger that isn't crew-cab.

You and the 5 other guys online. Crew cabs sell, single and extended cabs don’t. The last sales figures I saw showing a breakdown by truck body type show an overwhelming amount of them, around 85%, being crew cab. Considering trucks are outselling cars and being used in the same roles, it makes sense that buyers want the crew cab.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
How the gently caress does Subaru get away with calling the lowest trim level "Premium"

Also, Solterra prices are out, starts at 46,200 before rebates and dealer fuckery.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

That's kind of the problem, isn't it? Doesn't matter that it now seems a lot more capable, it's still your responsibility to unfuck the situation if the computer decides a piece of cardboard on the road is a road marking that it should turn to the left of.

Babysitting never ends.

I mean I’m always watching for hazards yeah, but there’s a ton of mental stress taken away when AP is working and I’m just monitoring for safety. It’s hard to explain

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Speleothing posted:

How the gently caress does Subaru get away with calling the lowest trim level "Premium"

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

It offers premium value for money!

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

didn't he tease during the maverick launch that there might be an electric version at some point?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Bone Crimes posted:

didn't he tease during the maverick launch that there might be an electric version at some point?

https://twitter.com/mrlevine/status/1402268994585960469

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Speleothing posted:

Also, Solterra prices are out, starts at 46,200 before rebates and dealer fuckery.

Charging is slow AF otherwise I'd like those

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Charging is slow AF otherwise I'd like those

AFAIK it charges at 150kW DC. That's not too bad.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

wolrah posted:

Chevrolet has confirmed a hybrid eAWD Corvette coming next year and full EV after that.
https://twitter.com/chevrolet/status/1518577631716913152

they already killed the manual years ago. Honestly who gives a poo poo about a V8

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

He’s right, but also the f150 is big and I want a smol EV trucklet

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Kirios posted:

That…doesn’t make me thrilled about long term Bolt ownership.

batteries are stupid easy to remanufacture

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

You and the 5 other guys online. Crew cabs sell, single and extended cabs don’t. The last sales figures I saw showing a breakdown by truck body type show an overwhelming amount of them, around 85%, being crew cab. Considering trucks are outselling cars and being used in the same roles, it makes sense that buyers want the crew cab.

This has been posted before, but pickup trucks have mainly been used on worksites and professionally to move personnel. It’s just that historically you used to have guys ride in the bed before OSHA/DoT/etc put an end to that.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Nfcknblvbl posted:

AFAIK it charges at 150kW DC. That's not too bad.

Nah, that's for the FWD Toyota only. AWD is claimed 100kw peak but they say it's 56 minutes to charge to 80% which works out to be slower. And the very limited we've seen of real world tests is bad, but give it a few days, we should see more reviews from the press loaners of the bz4x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
I saw a Transit EV parked at the local FORD dealership. Apparently FORD sent demo units out.

Video from a dealer (not in my area):

https://youtu.be/8Jo6LZN6h-g

The dealer in that video says 170kwh battery? If so, that’s more than was originally announced.