Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Covok posted:

Sometimes, clients scare me. A caregiver who I can confirm is the caregiver gets a letter from the state asking them to confirm their father's identity. It is just asking for them to show the person's SSA card or equivalent. Their response:

"I lost it years ago. What do I do?"

They're options, of course, but who loses their father's SSA card and doesn't just go and request a replacement be sent? Who just waits years to request a replacement of something that important?

Literally most people. People don't keep track of that poo poo unless they need it. I've probably ordered half a dozen birth certificates over the course of my life and I don't know where any of them are because it's something that never comes up except for those specific times. I do know where my social security card is, but only because I do enough government-related stuff for work that I'm pretty regularly needing to get new forms of ID made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Covok posted:

Sometimes, clients scare me. A caregiver who I can confirm is the caregiver gets a letter from the state asking them to confirm their father's identity. It is just asking for them to show the person's SSA card or equivalent. Their response:

"I lost it years ago. What do I do?"

They're options, of course, but who loses their father's SSA card and doesn't just go and request a replacement be sent? Who just waits years to request a replacement of something that important?

I lost my SSA card 20 years ago and have never replaced it. I'm not sure why I should?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Boot and Rally posted:

I lost my SSA card 20 years ago and have never replaced it. I'm not sure why I should?

You will be asked for it at some point. Just request a new one. It's dumb.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

MadDogMike posted:

Leased vehicles don't depreciate, at least for the person who's paying the lease on them, so you claim whatever you're paying for the lease as a business expense (subject to how much you're using the thing for business purposes, as generally established by mileage). If you're doing actual expenses anyway; standard mileage doesn't care about lease payments, pretty sure the only additional expenses you claim with standard mileage are parking & tolls unless there's something my abused brain is forgetting suddenly.

LOL, it's getting me to shut up about taxes when I get going that's hard. My parents have made jokes about when I'm in the same room as my cousin-in-law and aunt, who both are in taxes too, the conversation gets past everybody else real quick. Hell, witness me talking in this thread when I'm on a break and theoretically don't have to think about taxes at all for a while.

I admit I'm a lot more comfortable with the IRS than your average person who views them with terror. Hell, I find them more reasonable than your average collection business, they abide by a lot more rules than those guys seem to. God knows I have tons of problems with the Pennsylvania local income tax collectors and I'm pretty positive it's because they farm that out to said collection agencies for the most part. Main issues I have with the IRS boil down to them being hard to contact thanks to getting their people slashed to the bone; I try to make it a point to thank them sincerely when I do get help since I imagine those poor folks get lots of abuse screamed at them for the wait times they don't control. Mind you, I still firmly believe this is the soundtrack in Hell (had to agree with the comment at the link about how perfectly "soulessly upbeat" it is).

The IRS hold music is my jam, NYS's will put your rear end to sleep, it's just dire.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
I don't know if they still do but a decade ago, occasionally when you were dealing with a set contact at the IRS they'd have classical music as their hold music. That was always nice.

Also thanks for the CE recs upthread. It's basically what I was already using to get caught up but nice to know I'm not missing any hot resources.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Boot and Rally posted:

Don’t you need it when you start a new job? Or has that been replaced with ID checks and then cross-checking the SSN you give? It’s been a while.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

smackfu posted:

Don’t you need it when you start a new job? Or has that been replaced with ID checks and then cross-checking the SSN you give? It’s been a while.

For the I9 you just need something that will prove you're authorized to work in the US. The SSA card works for that purpose, but so does a birth certificate or passport. They can cross check the SSN, yeah.

SadBag
Jun 24, 2012

Something has gone very wrong for us to get to the point where Hot Dog is the admiral.
I've already filed, but I noticed that I incorrectly calculated my tax on line 16, which would turn me owing the government (which I already paid) to them owing me. Is it possible to fix this with the 1040-X?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

SadBag posted:

I've already filed, but I noticed that I incorrectly calculated my tax on line 16, which would turn me owing the government (which I already paid) to them owing me. Is it possible to fix this with the 1040-X?

They normally will fix math errors at least when I owe them more.

SadBag
Jun 24, 2012

Something has gone very wrong for us to get to the point where Hot Dog is the admiral.

Elephanthead posted:

They normally will fix math errors at least when I owe them more.

It's not a math error, I didn't use the correct method to calculate tax. I used the tax table rather than using the Qualified Dividends and Capital Gain Tax Worksheet.

And they've already taken the money out of my account, when I should have gotten money back when using the correct method.

SadBag fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 27, 2022

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

SadBag posted:

It's not a math error, I didn't use the correct method to calculate tax. I used the tax table rather than using the Qualified Dividends and Capital Gain Tax Worksheet.

And they've already taken the money out of my account, when I should have gotten money back when using the correct method.

Yeah, it wouldn't hurt to file a 1040-X in this case, I wouldn't count on that error being caught in a timely fashion at least.

SadBag
Jun 24, 2012

On the 1040-X, do I just need to put in the correct amount that should have had returned to me on line 21 (the "This is the amount overpaid on this return" line), and then they'll return that along with the money I paid when I thought I had underpaid?

urnisme
Dec 24, 2011

SadBag posted:

On the 1040-X, do I just need to put in the correct amount that should have had returned to me on line 21 (the "This is the amount overpaid on this return" line), and then they'll return that along with the money I paid when I thought I had underpaid?

No, list the additional amount you paid on line 16, line 17 should be the total of your withholdings and the payment you incorrectly made with your original return. Line 21 should be the total amount they're going to send you.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

My fiance and I bought a house this year. We are planning on getting married next year. I currently own a house in my name that I will be selling at some point this year. We are both on the title of the new house. We live in Washington so no income tax.

Are there any tax implications to getting married this year vs next year because of the new house? We are not having a ceremony or anything so if there was some tax advantage to getting married this year we are open to it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My mom got robbed about the time I was 18 and had to go through the process of getting a new birth certificate. I might have needed my SSN card to get my passport as well those are the only two times I can think of someone wanted to see a physical copy of my SSN card. Mine is probably in our important documents file folder but I'd have to go check to find out. I don't think it's super important unless you need to prove your identity is excruciating circumstances

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
This came up in the A&T Parenting thread, but I have a question regarding the Child and Dependent Care Credit and Form 2441:

I have two kids in daycare. We have a DCFSA and maxed out our contributions for 2021 ($10,500). Our total care expenses were over $28,000 though. When I filled out the information in Turbo Tax, it took the details for my son and the DCFSA, and since my son's expenses ($14,000) maxed out the DCFSA contributions, and the DCFSA is an excluded benefit that exceeds the $8,000 credit cap, it didn't even let me enter my daughter's information.

But according to Form 2441 the credit cap is $16,000 for two or more qualifying persons. In this case shouldn't I have received a credit for $5,500 ($16,000 - $10,500)? Or is there a phaseout or something I'm missing?

If I file an amended return for 2021, can I get back that $5,500? How much of a pain in the rear end is this going to be?

Edit: So I went back through Turbo Tax and was able to get an additional $1,100 credit. Apparently the IRS already accepted my amended return. So there's that!

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 3, 2022

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016
I just got an IRS notice that I was off on my 2020 taxes. If I understand the letter correctly, for a bunch of securities I sold (to gather a down payment on a house), I might have accidentally reported the cost basis as my proceeds, so under-stated my proceeds. Okay, I can see how I might have done that with how Vanguard reports things, and I can afford the extra taxes.

But, I don't recall how I ever made any statement about my proceeds/cost basis on a per-sale level?

The note looks like this:

[Edit - removed]

But when I look on my actual tax return PDF, I don't ever see those values (e.g., $16,185) being reported by me specifically. I used Credit Karma Tax for that year, if that matters. Where did the IRS get that I was stating $16,185 as my proceeds vs. cost basis? Was it in a part of my tax return that didn't get printed out on my tax return PDF, or something?

Academician Nomad fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 5, 2022

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Maybe you didn't file schedule D, but should have? Maybe "shown on return" is imputed?

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

Epitope posted:

Maybe you didn't file schedule D, but should have? Maybe "shown on return" is imputed?

Ahh, I'm looking at Sch. D and seeing that it's mostly empty - I guess the "auto import" from that tax service wasn't worth much, and I did a poor job of double-checking. Oops. Okay, well, thanks for answering that! Time to hire a real tax person going forward, annoying as that is vs. using the free programs.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
FWIW, freetaxusa has never had an issue carrying over whatever you filled in for the schedule onto the actual filed return if you want to avoid paying for an accountant.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
*takes breath*

*exhales*

People, you can't just estimate things like your W-2 or 1099-G for unemployment because you don't want to be bothered to get the form and you can't get mad at your accountant for refusing to file with estimated income and withholdings on the return. The IRS has all the information already and a mismatch triggers an audit.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Covok posted:

*takes breath*

*exhales*

People, you can't just estimate things like your W-2 or 1099-G for unemployment because you don't want to be bothered to get the form and you can't get mad at your accountant for refusing to file with estimated income and withholdings on the return. The IRS has all the information already and a mismatch triggers an audit.

I mean my last paystub of the year says

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Covok posted:

You'd actually be lucky to get a full audit. What's happening with returns with an income mismatch is the processing center sending out a letter every 2-3 months saying they need another 60 days to review the return for the better part of a year. Then the return will either end up in the Questionable Credits unit where it'll sit there until the taxpayer calls because as far as I can tell they don't even send out notices at that point or it may go to Exam where a notice requesting additional proof of the income will be sent out and you'll be waiting even more months once you send in the requested info if you can get it at all or (because there are monthly limits on the number of cases that can be forwarded to Exam) the processing center will simply decide to process the return without the income and associated withholding and if you don't like it you can file an amended return which currently has at least a 20-week processing timeframe and will have the aforementioned issues again if you didn't get your income straight this time.

(Most of the mismatch cases I see have more to do with the employer not filing the W2 at all or filing an incorrect one, but it'll be treated the same either way.)

Sure hope you weren't counting on getting a mortgage or any of the public benefits that require federal tax return transcripts as proof of income for the next couple of years!

H110Hawk posted:

I mean my last paystub of the year says
Ironically if the taxpayer actually has a paystub with accurate end-of-year totals they can file a 4852 substitute for W2 with the return and as long as the numbers match the W2 the employer filed it's all good.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Peyote Panda posted:

Ironically if the taxpayer actually has a paystub with accurate end-of-year totals they can file a 4852 substitute for W2 with the return and as long as the numbers match the W2 the employer filed it's all good.

Also, in general the IRS tends to accept taxpayers reporting more income than their own records show; not many people lie about owing more tax after all. Though now that I'm on the subject, I wonder if that sort of thing can get review for whether you're sneaking illegal income in. Hell, if you were a crazy bastard and straight up reported you were a drug dealer on Schedule C and abided by the rules for not claiming expenses, does that actually get reported to the state if you don't file a return with them yourself? Does the IRS even have a set method for reporting "uh, pretty sure this person's a crook" to state police?

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

I don't think the IRS can share that info, no. This is half remembered from when I worked at an LITC a decade ago, but iirc they can't share things like that, or like let ICE know you're filing under an ITIN.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I'm pretty sure they're allowed to share info it's just that there's no real mechanism to do it on an widespread basis. Also the other agencies don't like the IRS and look down on them.

Privacy Statement posted:

Generally, tax returns and return infor-
mation are confidential, as stated in Code
section 6103. However, Code section
6103 allows or requires the Internal Reve-
nue Service to disclose or give the infor-
mation shown on your tax return to others
as described in the Code. For example,
we may disclose your tax information to
the Department of Justice to enforce the
tax laws, both civil and criminal, and to
cities, states, the District of Columbia,
and U.S. commonwealths or possessions
to carry out their tax laws. We may dis-
close your tax information to the Depart-
ment of Treasury and contractors for tax
administration purposes; and to other per-
sons as necessary to obtain information
needed to determine the amount of or to
collect the tax you owe. We may disclose
your tax information to the Comptroller
General of the United States to permit the
Comptroller General to review the Inter-
nal Revenue Service. We may disclose
your tax information to committees of
Congress; federal, state, and local child
support agencies; and to other federal
agencies for the purposes of determining
entitlement for benefits or the eligibility
for and the repayment of loans. We may
also disclose this information to other
countries under a tax treaty, to federal and
state agencies to enforce federal nontax
criminal laws, or to federal law enforce-
ment and intelligence agencies to combat
terrorism.

sullat fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 7, 2022

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Even cops hate filing forms with the irs

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I bet the IRS don't like cops either :P

Why rat out the dealer when you can just tax them more. Isn't that what 280e is all about?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

All of those exemptions say they are specifically about enforcing tax laws, not drug laws or anything else. I wouldn't be surprised if they were interpreted really broadly but that's how it reads.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

KillHour posted:

All of those exemptions say they are specifically about enforcing tax laws, not drug laws or anything else. I wouldn't be surprised if they were interpreted really broadly but that's how it reads.

Yeah most people don't make it to the end, I get it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

sullat posted:

Yeah most people don't make it to the end, I get it.

I literally went back and reread it 3 times before I saw it :doh:

This is why I'm not a lawyer.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I realize the IRS won't automatically have paperwork for self-repeorted income and all, but why can't the IRS have a portal where you can download forms (or at least numbers) for what they do have?

If it's a problem that people are estimating W-2 income in tax software then said software should straight-up be able to import it from an IRS-provided API.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I realize the IRS won't automatically have paperwork for self-repeorted income and all, but why can't the IRS have a portal where you can download forms (or at least numbers) for what they do have?

millions of dollars of lobbying from intuit and HRB, mostly. https://www.nbcnews.com/business/taxes/turbotax-h-r-block-spend-millions-lobbying-us-keep-doing-n736386

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

ExcessBLarg! posted:

If it's a problem that people are estimating W-2 income in tax software then said software should straight-up be able to import it from an IRS-provided API.

Probably this kind of convenience is type of thing that H&R Block, Intuit, et al. spend so much money lobbying against.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

IRS-provided API.

Just lol.

The IRS has spent decades failing to transition off of a "master file" database that was implemented in the 1960s.

https://www.atr.org/40-years-of-failure-irs-unable-to-fix-computer-system/

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

ExcessBLarg! posted:

You can get Wage and Income transcripts by year that show the income documents the IRS has received under your Social Security number from third parties (W2s from employers, 1099-INTs from banks, etc.). However, despite actually passing laws to get that information provided to the IRS earlier in the tax year, the date when current year W&I transcripts are actually available keeps getting pushed back. When I first started working for the IRS they were available by mid-March, giving you a month to get them and file your taxes, now they're not available until late May (technically, you can order them earlier but all you'll get is a page that says no record on file). Even then they may not be complete at that time because some 1099 forms aren't required to be filed until 13 months after the end of the tax year in question, but for most individual filers that's not going to apply to them.

I have no idea why said date keeps getting pushed further back. I don't even think you can blame tax prep industry lobbyists in this case because filers with incomplete or incorrect information cause delays in processing and possible audits that don't really benefit them either, but preparer goons can correct me if I'm missing something there.

Motronic posted:

The IRS has spent decades failing to transition off of a "master file" database that was implemented in the 1960s.
IDRS (that master file database) makes me think a lot about the New Orleans levees pre-Katrina (and a lot of bridges across the United States right now) -- lots of signs pointing to the need for critical infrastructure fixes that are difficult and expensive so the can keeps getting kicked down the road until it falls apart and causes a lot more issues than fixing it earlier would have. We'll keep chugging along until it absolutely eats poo poo. Thank God we're not dealing with a massive backlog in every department due to budget cuts, inadequate IT, an already too-low employee population where so many of them are nearing or at retirement age that we'll probably see a 30-40% drop in the number of people working here in the next few years...

(Like a lot of other work sectors, COVID-related changes only highlighted institutional issues that were already causing problems)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Peyote Panda posted:

I have no idea why said date keeps getting pushed further back. I don't even think you can blame tax prep industry lobbyists in this case

Those lobbyists pay the same politicians who promote the message that the IRS is an evil waste of money so it may not be a perfectly straight line but it's probably not that far off. Remember the message is that if the government just told you what you owed they would steal from you, despite most tax payers taking the standard deduction with nothing further to complicate their taxes that couldn't be reported in a mandatory way by various companies. (Basis accounting is the big one.)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Motronic posted:

Just lol.

https://www.atr.org/40-years-of-failure-irs-unable-to-fix-computer-system/
Did you just cite Americans for Tax Reform as an honest source

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Did you just cite Americans for Tax Reform as an honest source

It's a list of linked articles from major news sources. You don't have to read any words they wrote to understand what has been happening. You can even independently confirm these articles quite easily.

I don't know or care about the politics of that group. It's entirely irrelevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Oh, my sweet summer child.