Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I’m still amazed that the Navy despite expending massive media resources to assign blame has done to my knowledge nothing whatsoever systemically to address any of the possible root causes of the collisions and in port fire.

I’m not actually amazed though :(

I wonder if anyone important has actually even tried to sit down with TVS and get her input on anything because it seems like it’s the equivalent of like an army having a platoon leader finally demonstrate a high degree of competence in a fight despite near universal poor performance in junior officers. And instead of considering getting their input on systematic or doctrinal issues just giving them a high five, trying to throw their boss in prison to prevent their boss boss from being accountable, then forgetting about everything entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Shipyards are hell on earth for junior enlisted. You aren't actually covered under OSHA standards because OSHA protocols are under Department of Labor and not DoD. It was (emphatically) the worst.

gently caress the Yards and gently caress the navy, forever and ever, amen.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Grip it and rip it posted:

gently caress the Yards and gently caress the navy, forever and ever, amen.

:hai:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I wonder if anyone important has actually even tried to sit down with TVS and get her input on anything because it seems like it’s the equivalent of like an army having a platoon leader finally demonstrate a high degree of competence in a fight despite near universal poor performance in junior officers. And instead of considering getting their input on systematic or doctrinal issues just giving them a high five, trying to throw their boss in prison to prevent their boss boss from being accountable, then forgetting about everything entirely.

Unfortuneatly getting their input means addressing problems, and addressing problems is how you kill your career and/or chances with Raytheon C-suite.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Does anyone know if it is possible to get any sort of disability rating for mental conditions caused by the Navy? After the fact though? I had an encounter with the MAs on the Bush that was really bad, but I couldn't do anything about it at the time. There is no documentation from the event, aside from a potentially fraudulent record if shipyard medics record anything, although I did lose a tooth, but it was never recorded anywhere so I doubt that is helpful in any way. I have been seeing a doctor for a few things lately and they were asking some history questions and I told them the story of what happened to me and they had this loving face that was indescribable. Like the doctor was amazed and disgusted. Any which way they think I probably have some anxiety issues from the event and they suggested I look into if there was any way the VA could be on the hook for some help.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Absolutely, service related PTSD is a covered disability. If you have trouble with the VA on your disability application, there are consulting companies that will help.

VA evaluations are independent from your in-service ones, and if you've already been evaluated for disability, you can petition to have your rating changed at any time.

E: my mental health issues are pretty well documented, but I have a few friends who have pretty bad broke brains just from the stress of being a submariner, and they got coverage after the fact with no in-situ documentation.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 25, 2022

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hey, this seems like a good place to ask for help with my 4th grade girl's outfit she's putting together. She's doing a "wax museum" project and for her part, she's going as Grace Hopper. Being a nerd, I want to help her get whatever details are within our reach correct. Being as disconnected from anything military as one can be, I'm completely out of my element.

Daughter's costume already has her broad gold stripe and a single star on each wrist (point toward the stripe, looks like), and I'm going to print that name tag and the various awards she's usually pictured wearing. I can look those up on wikipedia, but the name tag is bugging me: she finished her career as Rear Admiral (lower half), but every picture I find of her like this, the tag says COMD or COMO? Commodore? How's that line up with Rear Admiral? I'm clueless. Also, what is that insignia on the name badge?

Thanks in advance, Navy dudes

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 25, 2022

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Prior to 1985, Commodore *was* the title for an O-7. Nowadays it's "Rear Admiral (lower half)," followed by just "Rear Admiral."

Commodore is now used as an honorary title for Captains doing *important things* that you'd normally expect people with stars on their shoulders (and cars) to do.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Cool beans, that helps a ton.

Only other thing, then, is that insignia on the badge, I need to find an actual picture of it to 'shop up a replica, but I'm not even sure what to google for that one.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Bad Munki posted:

Hey, this seems like a good place to ask for help with my 4th grade girl's outfit she's putting together. She's doing a "wax museum" project and for her part, she's going as Grace Hopper. Being a nerd, I want to help her get whatever details are within our reach correct. Being as disconnected from anything military as one can be, I'm completely out of my element.

Daughter's costume already has her broad gold stripe and a single star on each wrist (point toward the stripe, looks like), and I'm going to print that name tag and the various awards she's usually pictured wearing. I can look those up on wikipedia, but the name tag is bugging me: she finished her career as Rear Admiral (lower half), but every picture I find of her like this, the tag says COMD or COMO? Commodore? How's that line up with Rear Admiral? I'm clueless. Also, what is that insignia on the name badge?

Thanks in advance, Navy dudes

Back in the day, the navy flag officers were Commodore, Rear Admiral, Vice Admiral, and Admiral. All the other services just had four variants of general, so the navy acquiesced and made commodores Rear Admiral (Lower Half). Anytime you see a one-star commodore in old navy things its because they were commodore rank. In the modern navy, commodore is a title given to the (usually captain) in charge of a ship squadron.

A tip for the costume: she needs to carry around an 11.8" piece of copper or some other small rod that's 11.8" long. Admiral Hopper used to always have one on her and would give them to engineers so that they could mind their nanoseconds. 11.8" is the distance a photon covers in a nanosecond. There's a nanosecond copper rod on display in the wardroom of USS HOPPER.

Also anything you can think of regarding COBOL. Admiral Hopper was known as grandma cobol because she helped develop the language.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That's cool, I've got some copper pipe that would serve as a suitable prop. The girl has a whole speech she's practiced that she researched up, Hopper's role in modern programming languages is a core element of that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Bad Munki posted:

That's cool, I've got some copper pipe that would serve as a suitable prop. The girl has a whole speech she's practiced that she researched up, Hopper's role in modern programming languages is a core element of that.

That's awesome. I'm a fan of all of this all around.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It's a little funny to me because as a software engineer, this is the sort of thing you would expect to come out of my household, but I had zero to do with the selection, my daughter just came home one day and told us out of the blue, "I'm either going as Grace Hopper or Jane Austen" and I'm like, "okay then!"

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Bad Munki posted:

It's a little funny to me because as a software engineer, this is the sort of thing you would expect to come out of my household, but I had zero to do with the selection, my daughter just came home one day and told us out of the blue, "I'm either going as Grace Hopper or Jane Austen" and I'm like, "okay then!"

This is awesome.

Grace Hopper rocks socks.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Best of luck finding the breast device insignia - it doesn't look like a normal Navy insignia, it honestly looks more like an Air Force unit insignia.

I tried looking for NAVDIST Washington but it's not a match. You'd have to find a list of her assignments and go spelunking.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
As far as the nametag insignia goes, that's just the insignia for whatever command a person is assigned to. Looking up her bio, those pictures are most likely from when she was assigned to Naval Data Automation Command. Unfortunately anything computer related tends to get renamed and reorganized every few years, so I don't know what the current successor is, and it's hard to find appropriate command insignia on google. It looks like a fairly generic anchors-and-globes motif that a ton of staff commands use.

One cool option would just be to use the command logo of the actual USS Hopper, DDG 70.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well, I just found out that nobody's going to be inspecting this costume close-up, like, she'll be up on a stage, so I'm just gonna print COMO HOPPER and call it a day. Obviously, under any circumstances, this would have completely ruined the entire costume. Disaster averted!

The effort to actually figure out what it's supposed to be is greatly appreciated, though, and the extra info all around is fantastic.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
If she wants to pad the whole thing out with interesting trivia, Grace Hopper also coined the term "bug" in the context of computer malfunctions, after finding a moth(?) Had gotten into a cabinet and fried itself on a vacuum tube (or maybe a capacitor)?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

If she wants to pad the whole thing out with interesting trivia, Grace Hopper also coined the term "bug" in the context of computer malfunctions, after finding a moth(?) Had gotten into a cabinet and fried itself on a vacuum tube (or maybe a capacitor)?

She had that in her report already, actually!

Thanks again for the help y'all, just got back from the show and it went great.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Whipped up a quick thing. I know it's not the best quality, but I'm sure you know how to handle that.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Glad one of like 20 prior service recruiters who keep calling me appreciates my craft

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have been told a rumor about sailors aboard the GW refusing to do cleaning stations and quoting the MCPON to their COC to lower their standards. I’m sure it’s completely false but it’s nice to think of.

e: Just talked to a buddy still on the boat and apparently it’s not true. :(

Anita Dickinme fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 26, 2022

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I think one of her "bug reports" had the actual bug smashed between pages of the operator's log.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

It was a mechanical relay.

A problem that persisted until the advent of transistors, and a pain in my rear end for the duration of my enlistment. Fun fact: The use of of a rubber mallet to give a love tap to the side of the offending cabinet was not an uncommon occurrence and also not urban legend.

orange juche posted:

I think one of her "bug reports" had the actual bug smashed between pages of the operator's log.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/grace-hoppers-bug

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

SquirrelyPSU posted:

It was a mechanical relay.

A problem that persisted until the advent of transistors, and a pain in my rear end for the duration of my enlistment. Fun fact: The use of of a rubber mallet to give a love tap to the side of the offending cabinet was not an uncommon occurrence and also not urban legend.

Percussive maintenance is a time-honored tradition in pretty much every mechanical/electrical/electronic field.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
There’s a specific model of Sperry navigation radar I used to deal with where, if you got an “ARPA ERROR” message, doing the flying elbow on the back of the console would reseat the card and fix the issue.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
OJ-194/197s were especially susceptible to stomping a mud hole in the card cage fixing most issues.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

MrYenko posted:

Percussive maintenance is a time-honored tradition in pretty much every mechanical/electrical/electronic field.

To those that have dealt with it, but I can see how it would be a foreign concept to others.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
https://gcaptain.com/rusting-fleet-top-us-navy-admiral-cno-rust/

Yo I'm gonna need some answers here

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
As a merchant seaman, I for one am not afraid of rusty warships. So undeterred.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The question comes after many photos of rust-worn American naval ships have hit the internet, with the latest being the USNS Alan Shepard, a Military Sealift Command supply ship named in honor of the first American in space, being photographed in the Singapore Strait looking worn, tired, and streaked with rust.

USNS….

Yes let’s make all 2-3 sailors scrape paint underway while the civs point and laugh.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Turns out that being made of steel and sitting in saltwater is rough.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Obviously the most pressing concern of the Navy right now, that needs to be addressed before anything else, is that these ships that spend most of their life in seawater do, in fact, show signs of wear and tear and rust when they come back to port.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Blows my loving mind that’s the CNO’s concern right now.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqpCCqPuFik

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I'll channel all my COBs and come up with a solution for this.....

They're saying the solution is to paint topside while it's 38 degrees and raining two days before we go underway, ideal conditions for paint to cure properly.

P.S. you can't go home until it's done, so make sure to pay attention to detailed surface prep!

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
drat MCPON is right it COULD be worse. What a loving joke

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
EX01-0002
Equipment name: Navy personnel system
Program erroneously tracks fit to fill. Design flaw determines effectiveness of manning based on percentage of amount of people Navy can afford as opposed to amount of personnel necessary leading to discrepancies in perceiving risk. Request intermediate activity revise program to track fit to requirement.

piL fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 29, 2022

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Elviscat posted:

They're saying the solution is to paint topside while it's 38 degrees and raining two days before we go underway, ideal conditions for paint to cure properly.

P.S. you can't go home until it's done, so make sure to pay attention to detailed surface prep!

The one thing I learned near the end of my years on a submarine and my time in corporate america since is that, if you can adopt a very specific way of speaking, and get angry at them (as a white dude of course) they will be stun-locked and you can advance into the combo of explaining to them why they're wrong and how things should actually be done if they want results. Their heads are so far up their asses they don't know how to parry anyone popping their idiot bubble.

But be careful if you just anger stun them and mess up the combo then they can retaliate and deal 5x damage and debuff you for the next 90 days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
lol gently caress the surface navy, submarine navy, naval aviation, and every navy sailor ashore.