Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's making their service look pretty bad atm. One of the most expensive services that just keeps raising their prices and you have to dig to find anything other than their flavor of the moment, which increasingly seems to be mostly trash reality shows. Feels like there is 5 things to watch on there.

It's definitely not exclusive to netflix though. All of them are horrible at showcasing their content except maybe like, Apple TV and Disney+ but they don't have that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Field Mousepad posted:

Catwoman makes fun of him for that same line later in the movie. So it's at least a little self aware I guess

I very much read the movie as intentionally portraying Batman as genuinely kind of a weirdo who hasn't really found his groove yet, and who isn't actually all that effective at crime fighting in the grand scheme of things. I felt that the whole "I am vengeance" thing is supposed to come off as a weird and bad bit of self-aggrandizing wankery, and it is also very directly refuted in the final act of the movie.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

mystes posted:

Does that actually make sense though?

Like when Netflix switched to mostly original content it made sense to hide the small amount of content, but now they would surely be served better by promoting their back catalog more effectively.

If people cancel their subscriptions because they don't realize there's other content they might be interested in, that's not actually helping.

There's still a recommendation system, the line when I worked at customer service was that rating stuff does change what you're presented with. I know it works on Hulu at least, after a week or two of watching The X-Files I'm being bombarded with 90s nostalgia shows.

e and I guess sending new stuff to people would help determine whether original content survives or it's worth renewing licensing for shows

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

It's making their service look pretty bad atm. One of the most expensive services that just keeps raising their prices and you have to dig to find anything other than their flavor of the moment, which increasingly seems to be mostly trash reality shows. Feels like there is 5 things to watch on there.

It's definitely not exclusive to netflix though. All of them are horrible at showcasing their content except maybe like, Apple TV and Disney+ but they don't have that much.

There's a lot of things making their service look pretty bad right now. It's bizarre to see them flailing publicly in response to the quarterly report; the instant appearance of plans to implement advertising tiers, punish account sharers, defund content, and limit their service in other ways make them look panicked. There are probably some meaningful, long-term changes they could make to attract subscribers again but rushed decision-making isn't going to get them there.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Perestroika posted:

I very much read the movie as intentionally portraying Batman as genuinely kind of a weirdo who hasn't really found his groove yet, and who isn't actually all that effective at crime fighting in the grand scheme of things. I felt that the whole "I am vengeance" thing is supposed to come off as a weird and bad bit of self-aggrandizing wankery, and it is also very directly refuted in the final act of the movie.

Batman is a weirdo, with some serious mental heath issues. He is billionaire who dresses like a bat, lives in a cave, and spends hid nights beating up working class people. Crime fighting seems rather like sophistry to me.

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

"We need to track down and stop those doing violence in our community."

"But Commissioner Gordon, I do violence in our community!"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Finished severance last night. What a loving show, very good poo poo.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

loving with MST3k is the first step to that platforms mediocrity

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

There's a lot of things making their service look pretty bad right now. It's bizarre to see them flailing publicly in response to the quarterly report; the instant appearance of plans to implement advertising tiers, punish account sharers, defund content, and limit their service in other ways make them look panicked. There are probably some meaningful, long-term changes they could make to attract subscribers again but rushed decision-making isn't going to get them there.

Not to get all :capitalism: about it, but it's still a huge if not surprising bummer that this is the response to investors realizing that infinite growth isn't possible and that the golden age of Covid streaming wouldn't last forever.

Like, there's a world where they just take a breath, cut some costs, maybe don't blow 100 million dollars casting big stars in trashy B movies that no one remembers and focus on retaining members overall and aim to survive things thinning out in the future.

Instead they're going to annoy the hell out of their existing subscribers, kill a bunch of shows that they like and also kill a bunch of shows that their kids might like (I actually have no idea how Netflix Kids is doing, but that's gotta suck for parents who used it).

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

They have a “vhs vault” version of Day of the Dead on Tubi that’s a 4x3 center cut version that was either duped off an analog tape or has a video filter over it. Noticed the only other title available with that format was a doc about vhs horror.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Everything about Netflix's response to their downturn suggests that they have no idea how non essential they are becoming. There has really never been a point where Netflix hasn't been the de facto streaming service and it doesn't seem like it's sunk in for them that a lot of people could just ditch Netflix for better or more specialized services at this point. Everything I've heard just sounds like it's going to amount to them losing a lot more subs.

If they actually crack down on password sharing I think they will become a cautionary tale for every other streaming service after they lose half of their subscribers instantly.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Blockbuster was a cautionary tale about pissing off customers and not adapting to trends and looks like Netflix is going to go out exactly the same way.

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Hrmm maybe being a publicly traded company with lovely investors who constantly bray for blood (profit) is actually a bad thing??

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Somebody should start a streaming network with the blockbuster name and logo, it could still work

e oops, they consigned themselves to dish network purgatory forever, never mind

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Inspector Hound posted:

Somebody should start a streaming network with the blockbuster name and logo, it could still work

e oops, they consigned themselves to dish network purgatory forever, never mind

https://twitter.com/BlockbusterPlus/status/1517554334560665602?t=OQXLRzsYdXuZnyKvVyfsmg&s=19

Blockbuster Plus is a pretty funny Twitter account, close enough.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Blockbuster was a cautionary tale about pissing off customers and not adapting to trends and looks like Netflix is going to go out exactly the same way.

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Which is funny because Netflix tried to sell themselves as to Blockbuster as their delivery arm and Blockbuster made just a large series of bad decisions as a response.

Everyone should listen to Land of the Giants season about Netflix.

I will say that I don’t think Netflix is just going to immediately collapse into nothing. They still have a much larger lead than anyone else and have a large international strategy. They’ll likely need to contract their domestic strategy, but should be ok

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Netflix cracking down on password sharing is fine as it's pretty clear they have exhausted their total available market in North America at the very least. Also "cracking down" doesn't mean you can't share your password, it will be an extra two or three dollars per month to share your password among x number of households (no clue how this will be enforced). Ad supported tiers are a possibility, but building a profitable ad business from scratch would take a couple of years, or longer.

An alternative is for Netflix to go the Facebook route build literal infrastructure in developing countries so they could have access to Netflix.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sock The Great posted:

Netflix cracking down on password sharing is fine as it's pretty clear they have exhausted their total available market in North America at the very least. Also "cracking down" doesn't mean you can't share your password, it will be an extra two or three dollars per month to share your password among x number of households (no clue how this will be enforced). Ad supported tiers are a possibility, but building a profitable ad business from scratch would take a couple of years, or longer.

An alternative is for Netflix to go the Facebook route build literal infrastructure in developing countries so they could have access to Netflix.
They should launch a Netflix channel on cable for the boomer market

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Sock The Great posted:

???
"It's not "cracking down, it's just charging you more money for the thing you're already paying too much money for."
Are you on Netflix's board or something? There's no excuse to defending their bullshit "password sharing is making us lose so much money" narrative, much less acting like paying more money is a reasonable solution.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 27, 2022

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

GonSmithe posted:

???
"It's not "cracking down, it's just charging you more money for the thing you're already paying too much money for."
Are you on Netflix's board or something? There's no excuse to defending their bullshit "password sharing is making us lose money" narrative, much less acting like paying more money is a reasonable solution.

I'm not saying that you can get 100% conversion rate on everyone using a shared password, but suggesting that openly allowing shared passwords *isn't* losing potential paying accounts is one helluva take.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

BonoMan posted:

I'm not saying that you can get 100% conversion rate on everyone using a shared password, but suggesting that openly allowing shared passwords *isn't* losing potential paying accounts is one helluva take.

I didn't hit save on my edit before you quoted but, yes, obviously it is losing them money. But if you believe that password sharing is actually the reason why Netflix is raising prices and lost so much money, I have a bridge to sell you.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

???
Are you on Netflix's board or something? There's no excuse to defending their bullshit "password sharing is making us lose so much money" narrative, much less acting like paying more money is a reasonable solution.

This is weirdly hostile. Of course they are losing money if 5 households are using one Netflix account.

mystes
May 31, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

I didn't hit save on my edit before you quoted but, yes, obviously it is losing them money. But if you believe that password sharing is actually the reason why Netflix is raising prices and lost so much money, I have a bridge to sell you.
They aren't losing money, they did great financially but their share price went down because investors were unhappy that they aren't increasing the number of subscribers.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
If Netflix starts charging for pw sharing I'll just stop using Netflix

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

GonSmithe posted:

Not even Netflix is claiming that's the main problem. They're suggesting that limiting it is a way to stabilize revenue caused by a lack of growth (in turn caused by a number of things) but not that it's the sole cause of anything.

It's also something they've been working on and rolling out in other countries before the stock drop.

https://about.netflix.com/en/news/paying-to-share-netflix-outside-your-household

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

GonSmithe posted:

???

Too much money is subjective, if you don't think it's worth the price you can always cancel.

Password sharing takes a potential customer (someone who is interested in Netflix, but is not paying for it) and converts them into a definite non-customer (someone who either is not interested in Netflix or is getting it for free). I am not on Netflix's board, but I do defend their right to make money by selling their product.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
All everyone wants is a convenient way to watch all their favourite shows on one platform, for a fair price, plus a steady moderate trickle of appealing new content. That was what Netflix originally came closest to. Then everyone and their mother started a dozen competing platforms, with each having like 1 or 2 interesting shows at best, but their combined price isn't exactly a good deal anymore. The further they stretch this, the more people will start sailing the high seas again.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Papercut posted:

If Netflix starts charging for pw sharing I'll just stop using Netflix

nah, just be the share-ee, not the share-er

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Not to get all :capitalism: about it, but it's still a huge if not surprising bummer that this is the response to investors realizing that infinite growth isn't possible and that the golden age of Covid streaming wouldn't last forever.

Like, there's a world where they just take a breath, cut some costs,

it really is amazing that you can say this phrase about SO MANY companies over so many years, and yet these greedy capitalist dumbshits still don't learn and still do it the stupid way

i mean look at oreos. why do they keep making new oreos flavors? doesn't Big Oreo loving make enough money??? let some other cookies in the market, drat. fuckin nutter butter or some poo poo

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i bet oreo and nutter butter are literally owned by the same company, further proving my point

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

isaboo posted:

nah, just be the share-ee, not the share-er

I've already been annoyed because Netflix seemed to change their streaming so you can't screenshare/screenshot it anymore. Back to mpegs!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

They should get rid of the DVD in the mail pay tier and make that inclusive in the whole package again. I need to watch Urban Legends Bloody Mary and physical media seems the only place I can find it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

precision posted:

i bet oreo and nutter butter are literally owned by the same company, further proving my point

Yeah they along with chips ahoy are Nabisco products.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Papercut posted:

I've already been annoyed because Netflix seemed to change their streaming so you can't screenshare/screenshot it anymore. Back to mpegs!

If you are on PC, you can just turn off hardware acceleration in the browser.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

SimonChris posted:

If you are on PC, you can just turn off hardware acceleration in the browser.

Oh dang nice, thank you

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I'm not surprised Netflix is getting rid of all the things that were once good about it. Their competitors are doing week-to-week episodes, have way less content for the price, have trailers at the beginning of shows, upsell you on extra channels, ignore foreign language and older films, and they are still making tons of money. The success of Disney and Apple+ despite how poo poo they are really just shows that you only need one, maybe 2 big shows a season to get people to pay 10-20 bucks for your streaming service and nothing else matters. Between the Witcher, Bridgerton, Drive to Survive, Squid Game et al, I have a feeling Netflix will do just fine as a company even if it pisses me off personally.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Disney+ has a ton of content, what are you talking about

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Disney+ has a ton of content, what are you talking about

Once a quarter they release a new star wars or marvel show that's 30-50 minutes an episode and looks like green-screened dog poo poo. In terms of actual numbers though it's the second smallest catalogue next to apple TV: https://www.protocol.com/streaming-catalogs-by-the-numbers

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Starks posted:

Once a quarter they release a new star wars or marvel show that's 30-50 minutes an episode and looks like green-screened dog poo poo. In terms of actual numbers though it's the second smallest catalogue next to apple TV: https://www.protocol.com/streaming-catalogs-by-the-numbers

I'd like to see an update to this, given that it was written in 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Netflix is probably what I touch the least. HBO and hulu on the top.

My HBO plug dropped to a commercial tier and I just turn it off when one plays. I doubt I'll keep Netflix around with them.