Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
God, that was just brutal in a good way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

That was way better.

Seems like there's a ton to get through in the final episode.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Whirley pop + butter flavor coconut oil + Flavacol at home is the way to true home movie watching.

I've honestly enjoyed it more than the popcorn at the movies, once i started going back again

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Was there anything in the Spector household that might have suggested they were a Sephardic family,?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Lol, "Very Ned Flanders-y."

Stupid, sexy Harrow.

Absolutely fantastic episode. Like someone above said, brutal, but in a good way.

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 27, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Man, I guess you needed the setup to get to this point but I wish Moon Knight had been more of this kind of weirdness earlier, like from the last few minutes of episode 2 or something.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013
They needed the previous couple of episodes to try and make us interested in, and care about Marc, in a way that didn't feel obnoxiously rushed. Nevertheless this episode and the first one have been the only two I've really enjoyed.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jerusalem posted:

Man, I guess you needed the setup to get to this point but I wish Moon Knight had been more of this kind of weirdness earlier, like from the last few minutes of episode 2 or something.

All the Disney+ shows have a problem with purposefully delaying all the good stuff until right at the end instead of just going all in with it

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

10 Beers posted:

Lol, "Very Ned Flanders-y."

Stupid, sexy Harrow.

Absolutely fantastic episode. Like someone above said, brutal, but in a good way.

I did like that Ethan Hunt/Harrow did come off as a genuinely good person just trying to help Marc/Stephen in their mind palace/death sorting house. Hunt got to play him as a hero and a villain, kinda. I'm kind of surprised we didn't get any indication of the third casket/persona at all this episode though. I assume it'll come up next episode, but it feels like it should have gotten some bit of play this episode if it's gonna happen at all.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

tsob posted:

I did like that Ethan Hunt/Harrow did come off as a genuinely good person just trying to help Marc/Stephen in their mind palace/death sorting house. Hunt got to play him as a hero and a villain, kinda. I'm kind of surprised we didn't get any indication of the third casket/persona at all this episode though. I assume it'll come up next episode, but it feels like it should have gotten some bit of play this episode if it's gonna happen at all.

There were a lot of shots of a yellow taxi driving around in the background.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

tsob posted:

*Hawke. Ethan Hunt is Tom Cruise’s character in Mission Impossible

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

Mind putting a hint in a spoiler?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Laughing Zealot posted:

Mind putting a hint in a spoiler?

His third personality Jake Lockley is a yellow cab driver.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Necrothatcher posted:

I noticed that, yeah. I fully expected him to wake up as the taxi driver persona after breaking down in the street following the funeral because of that.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

tsob posted:

When Harrow was trying to give legit good psych advice in the episode, and with it being very clear that the whole environment is a construct that Marc's creating, I think the Harrow we've seen after Marc's death is him manifesting a force that'll make him confront the things he doesn't want to in order for him to reach a state of mental balance and improve his mental health. However, since Marc definitely doesn't want to do that, the person who is pushing him towards these things he wants to avoid manifests as Harrow. The "this psych ward is what's real" idea that Harrow pushes is harder to interpret. I could see that being a way to give some sugar with the bitter medicine in a "I want you to confront your mental issues, but to help make that easier for you I'll create a reality that lets you believe that you didn't run around killing loads of people" kind of way.

We'll definitely get a new personality in the mix for the big finale, and I hope what happened to Stephen sticks because that's the more interesting way to go. Bringing a new personality on board would let the DID aspect of the character keep going, and also leave the audience curious for what this new dynamic might be like, even if it's in a "leave them wanting more/the adventures continue" way and we don't see much more of Moon Knight in the MCU after this.

RatHat posted:

A minor villain who appeared in 2 Spider-man comics a decade ago. Even for a hardcore comics reader he's obscure

Peter David wrote the introduction of the character. I'm sure he's getting at least small checks for the usage of Spider-man 2099 (which he created) in things like the Spider-Verse movies, but it must be wild for him to find out this tiny little character that's barely been in Spider-man comics at all is getting a full blown movie, and that you'll get paid because of it.

This also makes it abundantly clear that no Spider-man character is too small for Sony to consider making something with them, so it makes me hope that some very minor comic writer who hasn't done a lot of stuff has their weird character from a Spider-man one shot turned into something and gets a surprise check for it.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Apr 27, 2022

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I feel like there's no way Stephen's "death" sticks. He was a construct of Marc's in the first place, there's nothing stopping Marc from just constructing him again

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I also feel like there's no way we don't see more of Oscar Isaac in the MCU, especially if this show sticks the landing. They're going to want to keep working with him cause he's a big deal actor so they'll find a story worth his time.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I love that Marc was already a mess before Konshu. Can't blame that old bird for everything! (Unless somehow Konshu killed his brother)

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

killer crane posted:

I love that Marc was already a mess before Konshu. Can't blame that old bird for everything! (Unless somehow Konshu killed his brother)

Of course Konshu is responsible, the moon's tidal forces can affect the amount of rainfall on Earth. It was all part of the long con!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm betting Randall Spector secretly survived that cave. We never saw a body and he has a bright future as a homicidal maniac to look forward to..

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Rarity posted:

I also feel like there's no way we don't see more of Oscar Isaac in the MCU, especially if this show sticks the landing. They're going to want to keep working with him cause he's a big deal actor so they'll find a story worth his time.

Apparently, Isaac is really keen on the idea of starring in a Midnight Sons movie, although that will obviously have to wait until after Blade comes out.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

TinTower posted:

Apparently, Isaac is really keen on the idea of starring in a Midnight Sons movie

Finally... the Mephisto movie...

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So Blade cameo in the end credits of the last episode?

Rarity posted:

Finally... the Mephisto movie...

Nah, it'll obviously be Ralph Bohner pretending to be Reed Richards pretending to be Mephisto.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

tsob posted:

So Blade cameo in the end credits of the last episode?

It'll be a shot of Marc and then someone off screen will cough and you'll have to look it up on IMDB that it was Blade

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Solid episode. But I don't think they can get Marc back to the world of the living AND introduce Jake in a satisfactory way AND bring back Steven AND bring back Khonshu AND defeat Harrow AND resolve the plot lines with Layla all in one episode without it feeling really rushed and cheap. So either the Jake/third sarcophagus stuff has only been there as an easter egg, or there's a ton to get through in the next episode.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 27, 2022

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

kazil posted:

It'll be a shot of Marc and then someone off screen will cough and you'll have to look it up on IMDB that it was Blade

:lol:

I hope they can stick the landing. Isaac was amazing this episode as always but this is such a weird show on introducing Moon Knight. Like, we're learning a TON about him but there hasn't really been much superhero stuff to play with. Not that I am looking for Saturday morning cartoons but... maybe I am? I dunno.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Honestly pretty ballsy for them to sideline the superhero for two episodes of a six episode superhero show

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Episode 5 is exactly what the show should be all along, a character drama about metal health, perspective and reality where Marc is most of the characters and reality is fungible.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

So far, the action scenes have been the least interesting part of this show.

Rarity posted:

I feel like there's no way Stephen's "death" sticks. He was a construct of Marc's in the first place, there's nothing stopping Marc from just constructing him again

This is basically what happens in the comic story they're loosely adapting here. Confronting his past and coming to terms with his trauma allows Marc to reintegrate his various personas into himself, causing them to vanish. Then, when Marc inevitably gets into trouble again, they reappear to rescue him. Those identities will always be a part of him - you can't really 'cure' DID, only come to terms with it.

killer crane posted:

I do have to wonder somewhat about the bird skeleton Steven saw outside the cave. It doesn't have to mean anything, but you could read it as sign of Khonshu's influence there if you really wanted to.

In the comics (tangential spoilers for the episode) Marc's brother grew up to become the supervillain Night Shadow/Shadowknight, who fought with Moon Knight several times, ending with Marc eventually killing him in one of their battles.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
This week's was a lot of fun, I am down for more of this reality-bending weirdness and I wish it had been introduced earlier.

Also Oscar Isaac is amazing, obviously. I really forget it's the same guy from time to time, he does a great job distinguishing the characters with simple differences.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Ishamael posted:

This week's was a lot of fun, I am down for more of this reality-bending weirdness and I wish it had been introduced earlier.

Also Oscar Isaac is amazing, obviously. I really forget it's the same guy from time to time, he does a great job distinguishing the characters with simple differences.

Yeah, Oscar Isaac was just on Seth Meyers, and he said that the accent for Steven was his idea. And I think it was a great idea, because it really helps sell the difference between the two characters. He also said having a lot of the crew be English helped, because, between scenes, he could run his lines by them, asking, "Is this alright? Does this sound good?"

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
I was really down for the idea that he's just a normal dude with a fantastic mind.

If he really was in the psyche ward, and harrow really was a doctor, and Marx was making up all this Konshu stuff to convince Steven that killing Harrow is good.

But I'm still enjoying it.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

fractalairduct posted:

I do have to wonder somewhat about the bird skeleton Steven saw outside the cave. It doesn't have to mean anything, but you could read it as sign of Khonshu's influence there if you really wanted to.

There are multiple things in the background of the flashbacks that you have to question what's real in the flashbacks, especially in little Marc's room. He has a scale similar to the one he's being judged on. His knocked over toys are laid out like the tomb dig site from his other flashback (car flipped over, archaeologists laying on their back, and the poster of Tomb Buster).
e:His brother was drawing a fish when they left to go play in the cave. The drawing is later seen in his room. It's a goldfish, with one fin...

And now I put on the first episode and the fishtank decorations are a boat sailing on sand, with a big weird door, like the under world.... And now a little girl just told Steven he was rejected from the field of reeds... His farewell to his mom is "laters, gators" and Ammit is represented by two gators. Layla doesn't know Marc's Mom is dead.

My crazy theory was going to be that Harrow is Roro, but now I'm just going to say this show is fight club, but instead of Tyler Durden not being real, it's that Marc/Steven/whoever has been dead since the show began, and Konshu has been keeping them teetering as existing and not existing.

killer crane fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 27, 2022

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Oh poo poo Specter is another word for ghost. He's totally dead.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

killer crane posted:

Layla doesn't know Marc's Mom is dead.

This is just probably because Marc split from Layla before she died. He said trying to go see his dad after she died was when Steven started coming back, and Layla clearly didn't know about Steven, so it stands to reason Layla didn't know about Marc's mom dying either.

Layla did seem happy and surprised Marc was talking to his mom again, which means she knows the backstory there.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Some people need to touch grass.

https://twitter.com/chillbending/status/1519228403349606401

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Can you, or someone else, please explain what...any of this means?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I still think Jake is going to show up, but it'll be really funny if Jake pulls a Mephisto (by which I mean, ends up not existing)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

thrawn527 posted:

Can you, or someone else, please explain what...any of this means?

Internet Person Wants Attention

Don't know why we're aware of a tweet from a nobody account with 2 likes but here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

fractalairduct posted:

In the comics (tangential spoilers for the episode) Marc's brother grew up to become the supervillain Night Shadow/Shadowknight, who fought with Moon Knight several times, ending with Marc eventually killing him in one of their battles.

Christ I hope the show avoids doing that, since it'd undercut the actual backstory a lot if that was true. Then again, people were theorizing that the Kate's dad would turn up alive in Hawkeye, and thankfully the show avoided that particular drama bomb, at least for now, so here's hoping.

killer crane posted:

There are multiple things in the background of the flashbacks that you have to question what's real in the flashbacks, especially in little Marc's room. His brother was drawing a fish when they left to go play in the cave. The drawing is later seen in his room. It's a goldfish, with one fin...

I hope you realize there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for this part in particular.