Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cant he like send the Sergeant at Arms out to drag them into the Chamber by force if necessary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

keep punching joe posted:

Did any of you have lecturers who would assign their own book

TACD posted:

with new revisions every year which are 99% identical to the old one

as required reading for the course, even if it wasn't actually required.
I assumed that was standard, especially if you've become a semi-famous personality within your own niche field.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Isn't there an online shop dedicated to reselling academic books? Sure I heard about that years ago.

eBay it for a reasonable price and if you can, contact students from the old course letting them know the book is there cheap

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Thanks for suggestions. She finished her PhD about 20 years ago so I suspect a lot of them are out of date. That said, a lot are foundational texts or well-known, so will still be in print and on sale.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
in my first year course at uni we all had to buy our textbooks new for a stupid price as each copy came with a one-time code to sign up to a lovely online quiz that iirc counted towards our marks. love to see innovation in the textbook scam field

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

therattle posted:

Thanks for suggestions. She finished her PhD about 20 years ago so I suspect a lot of them are out of date. That said, a lot are foundational texts or well-known, so will still be in print and on sale.
You say that, but the wife is currently retraining as a number toucher, and one of her friends loaned her a book from 1982 that has been incredibly helpful teaching her the theory of databases than a lot of modern texts - it actually explains the underlying concepts rather than just going 'memorise this.'

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Angepain posted:

in my first year course at uni we all had to buy our textbooks new for a stupid price as each copy came with a one-time code to sign up to a lovely online quiz that iirc counted towards our marks. love to see innovation in the textbook scam field

Wow that's brutal. I fell for the textbook scam in my first semester and dutifully spent an insane amount of money on the current editions of the required reading. Then I figured out that firstly you didn't need most of them and secondly the uni library had them all anyway, maybe a year or two "out of date" but containing the same material with the numbers in the worked examples swapped around. I think we only had one lecturer who wanted you to buy his book: others also put their own work on the reading list but gave out copies of the relevant parts.

These days I would strongly advise any students to buy all of their textbooks and stay well away from the copyright-infringing websites https://sci-hub.se/ and https://libgen.is/, where most textbooks and journal articles are easily found, having been illegally uploaded by ne'er-do-wells.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

big scary monsters posted:

These days I would strongly advise any students to buy all of their textbooks and stay well away from the copyright-infringing websites https://sci-hub.se/ and https://libgen.is/, where most textbooks and journal articles are easily found, having been illegally uploaded by ne'er-do-wells.

And in some cases the article writers themselves! One that I used to have would upload his because the journal sites charged £30/download and he never got any of it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Did any of you have lecturers who would assign their own book as required reading for the course, even if it wasn't actually required. Happened to my partner loads during her time at uni, nice side hustle I suppose.

In my first year, for a module about the computer language Prolog, the textbook was written by the professor giving the course.
And the only source to get it was the uni shop, at something like 3-4 times other course books.
Didn't buy it, I think there wasn't enough to go around but not sure if Im recalling that correctly or not.

As for reselling, its all pdf's these days mostly.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

feedmegin posted:

Cant he like send the Sergeant at Arms out to drag them into the Chamber by force if necessary?

Just imagining the Sarge leaving the Daily Mail offices empty handed and the news reporting "no survivors"

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Red Oktober posted:

And in some cases the article writers themselves! One that I used to have would upload his because the journal sites charged £30/download and he never got any of it.

Appalling, just because you wrote the article doesn't mean you have the right to distribute it! That's taking food right out of the mouths of the poor folks at Elsevier and Springer.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/chrischirp/status/1519293906227183616

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Glad to see Birbalsingh rising ever higher in the world.
https://twitter.com/Miss_Snuffy/status/1518457802527850501

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
An unironic paraphrase of arbeit macht frei in the wild, impressive.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Birbalsingh being in a position of influencing anything more important than an egg is deeply disturbing. Fantastically stupid woman.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Unfortunately she lacks the logical awareness to understand that one woman being bad at numbers and logic doesn't mean that all are, or even that women in general are predisposed to be.

https://twitter.com/snigskitchen/status/1519308753123823617

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

happyhippy posted:

In my first year, for a module about the computer language Prolog, the textbook was written by the professor giving the course.
And the only source to get it was the uni shop, at something like 3-4 times other course books.
Didn't buy it, I think there wasn't enough to go around but not sure if Im recalling that correctly or not.

As for reselling, its all pdf's these days mostly.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh another Prolog person :)

I don't recall ever having a text book for that. It bent my brain getting used to a completely different (non-sequential) style of programming but I got there after a few weeks. It was worth doing. I got a distinction for my Postgrad Operational Research thesis/project and got offered a PhD place on the strength of it (which I declined to take up on account of Mammon being somewhat more appealing that postgrad-servitude in the environs of Holloway Road.).

Btw - US textbooks are extortionate. They also publish 'international editions' of the same which are much much cheaper. So canny Americans would come over to Egypt and stock up in the AUC bookshop. The cost savings more than covered the cost of flights!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I don't recall ever having a text book for that. It bent my brain getting used to a completely different (non-sequential) style of programming but I got there after a few weeks. It was worth doing. I got a distinction for my Postgrad Operational Research thesis/project and got offered a PhD place on the strength of it (which I declined to take up on account of Mammon being somewhat more appealing that postgrad-servitude in the environs of Holloway Road.).

Btw - US textbooks are extortionate. They also publish 'international editions' of the same which are much much cheaper. So canny Americans would come over to Egypt and stock up in the AUC bookshop. The cost savings more than covered the cost of flights!

London Met? I live near there. Holloway Rd is a pretty unappealing thoroughfare.

My wife’s PhD was a rhetorical analysis of far-right language. A few years ago she thought it had become obsolete… it’s sadly still very relevant.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I came here to post that:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2022/apr/27/girls-shun-physics-a-level-as-they-dislike-hard-maths-says-social-mobility-head

Birbalsingh has some appalling views.

When I was about 12 or 13 in the early 70s, I moved from a girls' school that did not offer separate sciences to a mixed school that did. After my first physics lesson I went home and said "I want to do physics at university" (it was about submarines). When there was the next parents' evening, the aging physics teacher said "physics is not for these little girls, it's too hard for their minds." My mum blew up (never tell my mum a girl / woman can't do something!) and said "Actually she wants to do physics at university."
That shut HIM up and bizarrely my marks that were, along with all the other girls in the class C+ regardless of the quality of work, went to B- overnight.

Unbelievable that this kind of poo poo is being perpetrated by a female head teacher nearly 50 years later.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I also meant to add that I work in the film business and believe in copyright laws, but gently caress academic and textbook publishers.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

therattle posted:

London Met? I live near there. Holloway Rd is a pretty unappealing thoroughfare.

My wife’s PhD was a rhetorical analysis of far-right language. A few years ago she thought it had become obsolete… it’s sadly still very relevant.

It was North London Poly when I did the PGDipOR there. I think it turned into University of North London, not sure. Lost track of all the goings on with university / polytechnic institutions.

I have attended many seats of learning in London over the years :)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 27, 2022

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Nice one! It was only part of the course to get us into programming, we moved onto C++ the next few years.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Prole posted:

Oliver Eagleton's book The Starmer Project is brilliant. Highly recommended.

Just wanted to say this led me down a rabbit hole of reading an article written by this guy. I enjoyed it (insofar as one can enjoy being appalled) but gently caress me was it eye opening. Gonna see if my local library can get a copy of this book.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Seriously, though, if you're a politics nerd with ten quid to spare, I strongly recommend picking up The Starmer Project. It's an excellent summary of the Labour party's recent history from 2015 onwards, and Eagleton seems like a decent sort with a decent head on his shoulders who could stand to have some money thrown at him.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I need a quick way of reducing my blood pressure. That birbaling singh woman has got my heart pounding and my head thumping with her loving misogynistic bollox about girls and maths.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I need a quick way of reducing my blood pressure. That birbaling singh woman has got my heart pounding and my head thumping with her loving misogynistic bollox about girls and maths.

PYF cute thread

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Birbalsingh has some appalling views.

I knew I recognised her, but couldn't immediately place who it was.

It's probably fair to say, though, that if you're a headteacher who has a face that's recognisable to a whole lot of people who've never been taught by you, you probably shouldn't be anywhere near a school. For a variety of different reasons.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

So which Tory Minister is the HoC Hog Cranker?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Red Oktober posted:

How would you get that sweey citation credit if all your articles are locked behind paywalls?

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Seriously, though, if you're a politics nerd with ten quid to spare, I strongly recommend picking up The Starmer Project. It's an excellent summary of the Labour party's recent history from 2015 onwards, and Eagleton seems like a decent sort with a decent head on his shoulders who could stand to have some money thrown at him.

I used my Forums-Enforced Fifteen Minutes Of Fame Grass-Touching to do just that!

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Darth Walrus posted:

Ordered. Need something to angry up the blood now that I've ditched pretty much all doomscrolling.

Anyone got any fiction recommendations to balance out the doom? I like Pratchett, Fforde, didn't get in to Iain M Banks but might try again*, don't generally like scifi or fantasy.

*I did "enjoy" the Wasp Factory by Iain Note Spelling Banks', might try some of his other non-M ones.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Bobstar posted:

*I did "enjoy" the Wasp Factory by Iain Note Spelling Banks', might try some of his other non-M ones.

The Bridge is my favourite of his.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I read all the David Mitchell (not that one) books until poo poo I dunno probably a decade ago so there's probably a few more by now. I think they were ok?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Bobstar posted:

Ordered. Need something to angry up the blood now that I've ditched pretty much all doomscrolling.

Anyone got any fiction recommendations to balance out the doom? I like Pratchett, Fforde, didn't get in to Iain M Banks but might try again*, don't generally like scifi or fantasy.

mrpwase posted:

The Bridge is my favourite of his.

I really enjoyed The Crow Road

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bobstar posted:

Jennifer Egan is good. Ursula K Le Guin everything.

It's a bit of a broad request. Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy might be my favourite book but it does have a lot of existential doom amongst all the bleak beauty and incredible prose.

The Magus by John Fowles messed with my sense of reality for a couple months

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobstar posted:

You might enjoy C.K. McDonnell's The Stranger Times and This Charming Man if you like comic fantasy for people that don't generally like fantasy and books written by people spelling their name slightly differently.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Bobstar posted:

How about 'The Steep Approach to Garbadale'? (Iain Banks) Set at a reunion of a Scottish family who created a best-selling boardgame, and the run up to the EGM to decide if they will sell.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Bobstar posted:

A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller. It is, I guess, classic sci-fi, but beautifully written, relevant to today, and just a truly enjoyable read. No lasers. No aliens.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Capital, three volumes, by Karl R. R. Marx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Both KRRM and GRRM had problems finishing their series before dying