Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

AnimeIsTrash posted:

opps, nvm not engaging a trump thread dullard

since when

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 36 minutes!

Since I bought the new Yakuza game.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Good soup! posted:

You can't beat my meat

call me

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
https://twitter.com/DaleVince/status/1488902019322634247

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Ah yes, in a world where forcibly breeding, torturing, exploiting and killing animals is just not enough. Let's then burn them as fuel. I wish Don't Look Up was a documentary.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
it's good to not kill animals :)

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

it's good to not kill animals :)

Yup. Stop eating animals.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Greg Legg posted:

Yup. Stop eating animals.

it's the bare minimum yeah

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
what would goku think about ukraine, is that sr provisioning vegan

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I eat animals so they live shorter lives and thus experience less suffering.

Now if you'll excuse me i have a veal blood bath to get to.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
https://theintercept.com/2022/04/14/killing-chickens-bird-flu-vsd/

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
just clearing out thousands of broiler corpses with a skid steer, another day at the office

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

unrelated but today I learned dolphin got perma'd for sending death threats via PMs :whitewater: lmao

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Good soup! posted:

unrelated but today I learned dolphin got perma'd for sending death threats via PMs :whitewater: lmao

lmao

:negative: gently caress you'd think COVID thread would give me my fill of bad news

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Why can't people just loving grow up and learn to eat something else? Humans are a plague.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DrBox posted:

Why can't people just loving grow up and learn to eat something else? Humans are a plague.

be the change you want to see in the world

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Can't we just eat the humans instead of the other animals

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

What the hell do vegans even eat? Is it just beans and pulses and weird nut based pseudocheese?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

i love the rhetoric that implies that the average meat eater is on a jordan peterson diet lol

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

It's not really a recipe thread but it'd be nice to have the odd thing posted about what youse are all eating, I couldn't see any of that from browsing a bit just arguing with some dolphin, ironically.

I'd like to cut down on the amount of meat in my cooking but all my veggie recipes have yoghurt or cheese/paneer so I genuinely have no idea what I'd eat if I went vegan and the stuff I've seen on YouTube etc has been mostly pretty weird substitutes for non-vegan foods

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

This is a recipe I've kept in my back pocket since college:

code:
Sauce		Soy Sauce				0.33		cup
			Vinegar, rice or white		0.33		cup
			Sugar				1		tbsp
			Red Pepper, crushed		1		tbsp
Slurry		Water, boiling			1		cup
			Corn Starch			1		tbsp
Tofu			Tofu					1		lb
Veggies		Garlic				4		cloves
			Onion				1		onion
			Red Pepper, bell			1		pepper

Oil (for frying)		
Press tofu
Chop garlic
Chop onion
Chop red pepper
Mix soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, crushed red pepper
Chop tofu
Fry tofu, set aside
Fry onion
Start boiling water
Fry garlic
Fry red pepper
Mix water into sauce
Mix corn starch into sauce
Pour tofu into frying pan
Pour sauce into frying pan
Stir and simmer until sauce is dark and thick, then let cool a little. Serve over rice.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

DrBox posted:

Anime vegan villain

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Non shitpost - there are plenty of vegan and vegetarian options that arent a constant barrage of tofu, I've been able to cut a huge amount of meat out of my diet just by swapping it out veggie mixes/dishes and pastas and poo poo and I don't loving care if it ain't vegan bitch

I got some meaty nuts right here

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I like tofu and to some extent the stuff I cook that doesn't include tofu doesn't feel like it's...recipes? Like is "fry some bok choy with lemon juice and sesame seeds" a recipe? I barely even measure it anymore lol.

I improved this a few weeks go

code:
Boil		Lentil		1/3	cup
		Boulion		1	tsp
Fry		Onion		1	medium
		Carrot		1	large
		Mushroom	100	g
		garlic		2	clove
		Paprika		1	tsp
		fennel seeds	1	tsp
		salt			0.5	tsp
		soy sauce		1	tsp
Mash	potato		2	yukon gold
		garlic powder	1	tsp
		earth balance	2	tbsp
		black pepper	1	healthy pinch
		salt			0.25	tsp
Cooking	oil		
		corn starch		
chop potatos, carrots into 1 inch chunks
slice garlic, onions
start boiling lentils til tender
boil potatos til bender
reserve potato water
mash all mash ingredients together, use potato water if too dry
fry onion til translucent
fry carrot till tender
fry mushrom til juice cooks off
fry garlic 1 minute
add spices to frying
turn boulion into stock w 1 cup water
mix all fry ingredients, lentils, stock, and a bit of corn starch to thicken
put filling into pyrex bowls/containers
spread mashed potatoes on top of pie filling
Bake 20 minutes at 375

Can use coconut oil instead of earth balance if you want. I have earth balance on hand so it's not a big deal. Salt is probably a bit high but y'know, take that as you will.

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009
I think one of the biggest hurdles for people is realizing you don't need meat or cheese substitutes. Western cuisine is centered around meat so it doesn't even feel like a meal if it doesn't have meat or something similar. It also doesn't help that the average person has been brainwashed into believing they need the same amount of protein as a bodybuilder.

I would checkout the GWS vegan thread. They mostly avoid meat substitutes and the like.

But here is a corn and black bean salad I've been making a lot lately:

16 oz corn
16 oz black beans
16 oz diced tomatoes
1 avocado diced
1 half onion (diced and rinsed)
1 garlic clove diced
1 serrano pepper diced (optional)
1 head of romaine chopped (or arugula)
1 bunch of cilantro
1 tbs ground cumin
2 tbs nutritional yeast
1 tps mexican oregano (optional)
juice of 1 lime
chili powder and/or hot sauce to taste

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I enjoy seasoning veggies with stuff like cumin, chili powder, paprika, etc, then roasting them and making tacos outta that. I don't use any cheese substitutes for that, just some sort of hot sauce and I'm good to go (though sometimes I'll throw some nutritional yeast on it).

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation

Good soup! posted:

Non shitpost - there are plenty of vegan and vegetarian options that arent a constant barrage of tofu, I've been able to cut a huge amount of meat out of my diet just by swapping it out veggie mixes/dishes and pastas and poo poo and I don't loving care if it ain't vegan bitch

I got some meaty nuts right here

being white and discovering that there are people out there that don't devour hamburgers all does must be an incredible feeling

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

cutting out meat makes everything so much cheaper. Not a vegan but I think on average maybe 80% of my meals are at least vegetarian now and I'm saving so much money. Can't wait until my garden really gets going and I'm spending like $1.80 per dinner for two.

got a pack of those big restaurant style tortillas and filling them up with rice, beans, roasted vegetables, and guac a least twice a week. my god. a perfect food. one of the one places a meat substitute really works, too, if you spice up crumbled tofu like chorizo because you really just want the spice hit anyway.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

cutting out meat makes everything so much cheaper. Not a vegan but I think on average maybe 80% of my meals are at least vegetarian now and I'm saving so much money. Can't wait until my garden really gets going and I'm spending like $1.80 per dinner for two.

got a pack of those big restaurant style tortillas and filling them up with rice, beans, roasted vegetables, and guac a least twice a week. my god. a perfect food. one of the one places a meat substitute really works, too, if you spice up crumbled tofu like chorizo because you really just want the spice hit anyway.

Yeah there's a reason why if you ask for advice online on how to get by with a food budget of (some depressingly low number that reminds you how awful lots of people have it), the common refrain is to get beans and rice.

It rules how easy it is to make a good taco with basically any food.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

being white and discovering that there are people out there that don't devour hamburgers all does must be an incredible feeling

My parents aren't adventurous with food at all so when you give them something that isn't just Meat + Potatoes + Maybe More Meat and is just a decently seasoned dish with veggies, their reaction is akin to the first cavemen discovering fire

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation

Good soup! posted:

My parents aren't adventurous with food at all so when you give them something that isn't just Meat + Potatoes + Maybe More Meat and is just a decently seasoned dish with veggies, their reaction is akin to the first cavemen discovering fire

I took my old coworkers to get indian food one time and my boss declined because he was a "meat and potatoes" kind of guy. Lmfao

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

that fool, indian food is the best, i say as a meat and potatoes guy

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Wheeee posted:

that fool, indian food is the best, i say as a meat and potatoes guy

in india the reactionary "meat n potatos" equivalent is a vegetarian diet, meat is for people degenerated by westernism

which means you get some real loving dumb westerners who think modi is a progressive because he's vegetarian

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Hail seitan

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Yeah if you interact with a lot of midwesterners you will notice many of them having a panic attack at the mention of any food that is not Applebee's or pizza. You can also torture British people by insisting on Mexican food every day, Brits loving HATE Mexican food it's the funniest thing to watch them squirm.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pryor on Fire posted:

Yeah if you interact with a lot of midwesterners you will notice many of them having a panic attack at the mention of any food that is not Applebee's or pizza. You can also torture British people by insisting on Mexican food every day, Brits loving HATE Mexican food it's the funniest thing to watch them squirm.

what?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I was at a meeting recently that was catered by Chipotle and what the gently caress a "sofritas" is was pretty good

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

It's not really a recipe thread but it'd be nice to have the odd thing posted about what youse are all eating, I couldn't see any of that from browsing a bit just arguing with some dolphin, ironically.

I'd like to cut down on the amount of meat in my cooking but all my veggie recipes have yoghurt or cheese/paneer so I genuinely have no idea what I'd eat if I went vegan and the stuff I've seen on YouTube etc has been mostly pretty weird substitutes for non-vegan foods

I eat a lot of pasta, there's tons of sauces you can make that are vegan, vegetarian, or only involve very small amounts of meat (which can sometimes be removed), and the variety of sauces means you can rotate through a whole bunch of pasta recipes without it getting boring. Another thing I like to do is take sauce-based chicken recipes, like chicken stir fry for instance, and replace the chicken with fried tofu. Since the flavour is in the sauce you really don't notice much difference between a chicken cube and a tofu cube in the end product.

It's asparagus season now so I just recently made an asparagus pasta sauce that's really good and simple to make.

Take two pounds of asparagus, cut off the tips, cut the green stalks into like 1-1.5 inch lengths, leave the white ends behind. Put the tips in one bowl of cold water and the stalks in another bowl of cold water. Boil a large pot of water, salt it, then put the white ends in and boil them in the water for 20 minutes. (this gives the water you're going to cook the pasta in a hint of asparagus flavour - I don't know how big a difference it makes but the recipe I got this from said to do it so I've always done it)

While the ends are cooking, heat half a cup of olive oil in a pan over medium heat. When it's warm, drain the green asparagus stalks and add them to the oil and cook them for four minutes. Then drain the asparagus tips and add them to the pan and cook for another two minutes. Then add a large can of crushed tomatoes to the pan, season with salt and pepper, cover, and cook for another ten minutes, stirring occasionally.

While the sauce is cooking, strain the asparagus ends from the boiling water using a slotted spoon or similar utensil. Add a pound of spaghetti and cook until al dente.

Drain the pasta, combine the pasta and the sauce (in the pan if it's big enough, in a serving bowl if it isn't), mix thoroughly. If you want the recipe to be vegan, stop there. If you want it to be just vegetarian, it's really good to grate half a cup of pecorino romano cheese and mix it into the dish at the end.

I make this recipe probably every other week during asparagus season, then I don't make it for a year until asparagus season comes around again. I like it best with pencil-thin asparagus but it also works with the thicker stuff you can get throughout the year. Two pounds of asparagus can be a bit pricy (it's usually about $4/pound at my grocery store) but for the price of two pounds of asparagus, a pound of pasta, a can of tomatoes, and a small amount of larger purchases of olive oil and cheese (if not vegan) this makes a ton of food. My wife and I probably get four weeknight dinners and a lunch out of this recipe, which is pretty cheap compared to if you're preparing meat for dinner every day.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
that sounds good, but 1/2 cup of olive oil?? how much sauce are you making?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Karach posted:

that sounds good, but 1/2 cup of olive oil?? how much sauce are you making?

Two pounds is a lot of asparagus! You need that much oil to saute it all, and then when you add the large can of crushed tomatoes it all just blends together. Spread over what ends up being like 9-10 servings it's not as much as it sounds.