Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

It is an air cooled two stroke with cable operated drums, it has literally none of the fluids the guy told me to change. The fork stanchions are corroded well past the point of recovery. This was a running riding bike when he got it with the intention of 'restoring' it and honestly, 95% of it is there and original and it is clearly a case of a middle aged fuckwit deciding to take something good and break it into pieces so he could feel like a big clever man and now I have to change his nappy but I already have a toddler so it grates.

It kicks over but beyond that I don't know because the owner also can't locate the key. My expectation is it will run for a while then develop a knock when all the condensation rust gets ground off of the big end bearing.

But that's ok because he's going to find the key and drop it off with the other bike, which is a twin of this one but apparently nowhere near in as good a condition!!

welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dog Case posted:

Can you put something like that on my softail scrambler build

DON'T MAKE ME COME OVER THERE

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s an old two stroke Suzuki. As long as the CCI works, it’ll run

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It's got points and a six volt system

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I’ve got an 84 Maxim coming next week that needs “an oil change and new tires”, after sitting in a garage for 3 years. I imagine I’ll be in the same boat soon enough

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Opopanax posted:

I’ve got an 84 Maxim

1884 right?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Slavvy posted:

1884 right?

Guess I’ll find out Tuesday

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
When I was a kid we had a Puch 50cc Magnum X and my dad had a variety of dirt bikes including a Suzuki of some sort and a Montessa. We always referred to them as scramblers, so were we wrong back then or has the term scrambler changed since as nowadays a scrambler just seems to be a road bike with a bit of extra ground clearance and mildly knobbly tyres?

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Slavvy posted:

1884 right?

Random fact: the guy who invented that thing (Hiram Maxim) is the guy who founded the first Amateur Radio association in the world.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

It's got points and a six volt system

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

:colbert:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ok so the Maxim is actually in decent shape, but the tach cable is busted and it looks like it's well out of print, and I can't find a third party one as it has a weird end on it. Is there some kind of DYI kit you can get? I seem to remember something like that. The housing is fine it's just the interior piece that's snapped.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What the gently caress is a maxim seriously you can't just say that with no pics or context or anything

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I ordered my first coms system, it's a Sena 10C Evo, and it has a camera built in. It's not the top of the line in either category but I'm pretty stoked about having something that does both.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Slavvy posted:

What the gently caress is a maxim seriously you can't just say that with no pics or context or anything

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Slavvy posted:

1884 right?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It's got two wheels, it's a bike.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

I can't be expected to remember things that happened 4 days ago :eng99:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Slavvy posted:

Yamaha XS400, I thought they were pretty common. Maybe they're a Canada thing

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Mirconium posted:

Experimenting with my new SV, and today I learned that it has a pretty interesting behavior. Apparently it has a bunch of electrowizard bullshit inside to keep the idle very stable. So if you let the clutch engage (slowly) at idle, it will begin to "crawl" while staying at the idle RPM. I thought that idle crawling was only the purview of liter bikes, so how does it achieve this wonderous effect? The ECU just fuckin opens the (secondary) throttle for you lol.

Not a good thing or a bad thing, just weird riding on a bike with this much technology stuck in it. (Also the throttles look jolly complicated, with like linkages between both sets of butterflies and all that, hopefully I don't have to touch them for a few years)

Lungboy posted:

Yeah low rpm assist and one touch starting are Suzuki things, not all of their bikes have them but lots do.

The carbed Suzuki Bandit 600 Shitters I learned on had this, i.e. no stall on flat ground with no throttle and clutch eased out completely, and would walk forward.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

IMO you cannot be a real rider if you are unable to spectacularly stall your bike out when the light goes green in the busiest intersection in a 50 mile radius, resulting in everyone getting mad at you while you frantically try to restart your bike while also rolling backwards and almost tipping over.

Its a right of passage

Worse still is being in 2nd on a 125 when you came to a stop at a roundabout, it's clear, you want to go, but you know it'll stall in 2nd so you're trying to put it into 1st and it's just not happening. Took me like a minute to get going, luckily no one honked/was mean.

Later on learned that if I let the clutch out a little, then tried shifting down, it'd have shifted to first.

some kinda jackal posted:

My house is in a valley. Any time I leave my neighbourhood it's a steep uphill road.

Now imagine you're a new rider, stalled uphill and because you're still learning and fairly uncoordinated, panicking because you've got a line of cars on your bumper, honking, every time you start the engine you don't pull out the clutch and release brake smoothly enough because you're overwhelmed and just stall over and over and everyone is honking and you're just looking back pleadingly silenlty begging GO AROUND GO AROUND but WHY WON'T THEY JUST GO AROUND OH GOD THE LIGHT IS TURNING YELLOW HONK HONK HONK gently caress I stalled again this guy is going to be angry if I hit his bumper IT'S A BAD DAY TO DIE JUST GO AROUND

Good practice for hill starts!

Geekboy posted:

I haven't stalled going uphill (yet), but I did manage to accidentally pop into neutral right as I had fully committed to moving forward, only to have the bike rev and start going backwards.

Took a second to slap a foot back down and then figure out what had happened. While in a construction zone with a line of cars behind me.

I have done this with both manual cars and bikes. I've done it in my automatic car too "oh right, I took the handbrake off but it's need to be in D, not P...".

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Opopanax posted:

Yamaha XS400, I thought they were pretty common. Maybe they're a Canada thing

Oh :saddowns: yeah I know what an xs400 is unfortunately.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I traded my XS400 for some new leaf springs.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Apparently I made the DIY kits up I guess. Going to see if I can find one the same size but that's not exactly what manufacturers advertise. Or she just lives without a tach, not like you need one

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You can 100% get diy speedo kits, if you're searching for a tacho cable them yeah you're hosed, but that's because everyone knows those are just a speedo cable.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Hooray, I finally got a chance to ride my own bike today and it actually worked without stalling, and my speedometer doesn't sound like a vuvuzela anymore

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I have been waiting for like a month for a tire I ordered off eBay. Today I got an email that the order was cancelled. Puzzled, I opened it up to see why, and it says

reason: buyer requested cancellation

No I didn't!! The jerk seller probably never actually had the tire, and was expecting to drop-ship it or something but couldn't, and put that as the reason to avoid some kind of ding to his seller record.

I don't have the energy to make a complaint about it but now I have to find another tire. Blah

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

drat that sucks.

my last tire order off of ebay was surprisingly nice.

it was a big supplier of pirelle tires and i needed it two days later for a race. i called the place and asked if they could get it to me in time and he said yea he’d grab the tire and take it over to fedex right now so it would show up on time.

anyway it worked out and thats my ebay tire story.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There was a for real 1988~ VTR 250 Interceptor parked at work today. With the shrouded INBOARD DISC BRAKE and everything. Rad as hell. One of these:

Its tags were also 4 years out of date so uh might wanna get on that man.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Saw a pristine Ninja 500 with ‘94 stickers on the plates at the local bike garage when I went in to do my first service on the 650 last year. Hopefully they were in to change all the hoses and tires and things :ohdear:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Okay so I went to look for another tire, since the guy on eBay cancelled mine on me, and it looks like that specific tire is out of stock literally everywhere???

I want a Bridgestone BT46 in 150/70-17. Nobody in the USA seems to have it in stock, and the only one I can find on eBay is in Australia with 110 dollars of shipping lmao. And I don't even trust that they really have it. I bet the eBay guy cancelled mine because he was listing stuff he didn't have, planning to just order it from his supplier and drop-ship it, but he couldn't get one either.

Is this a thing now? COVID supply chain stuff making tires impossible to find too? Anyone have any leads on the one I'm looking for?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Fortnine says they have one but who knows. But yeah, it's not as bad as it was 2 years ago but getting parts still sucks

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Okay so I went to look for another tire, since the guy on eBay cancelled mine on me, and it looks like that specific tire is out of stock literally everywhere???

I want a Bridgestone BT46 in 150/70-17. Nobody in the USA seems to have it in stock, and the only one I can find on eBay is in Australia with 110 dollars of shipping lmao. And I don't even trust that they really have it. I bet the eBay guy cancelled mine because he was listing stuff he didn't have, planning to just order it from his supplier and drop-ship it, but he couldn't get one either.

Is this a thing now? COVID supply chain stuff making tires impossible to find too? Anyone have any leads on the one I'm looking for?

Just fit a 160.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I heard on the Internet that ~1/3 carbon black in the world comes from Russia so soon you won't be able to get any tires at all! I wonder if I should panic buy a second set of tires, because I suspect the tires I have now won't last a long time, and I am going to make the effort to ride more this year. I realized instead of taking 45-60 minutes going into the office to grab my work car, I'll just take my bike and the twisty roads home with the extra time. :hehe:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Just fit a 160.

160s seem really popular among the Hawk people, yeah. Looks like most people doing it go from 150/70 to 160/60, which should keep the diameter basically the same. What are the handling differences from having the slightly wider, slightly flatter tire? (not that it really matters since what I have on there right now is lovely compared to the BT46, and getting squared off).

Paging Gorson too I guess

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 5, 2022

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Toe Rag posted:

I heard on the Internet that ~1/3 carbon black in the world comes from Russia so soon you won't be able to get any tires at all! I wonder if I should panic buy a second set of tires, because I suspect the tires I have now won't last a long time, and I am going to make the effort to ride more this year. I realized instead of taking 45-60 minutes going into the office to grab my work car, I'll just take my bike and the twisty roads home with the extra time. :hehe:

Good, they can start making stuff like this for street bikes too

Only registered members can see post attachments!

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

lol I forgot about those. so sick

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

160s seem really popular among the Hawk people, yeah. Looks like most people doing it go from 150/70 to 160/60, which should keep the diameter basically the same. What are the handling differences from having the slightly wider, slightly flatter tire? (not that it really matters since what I have on there right now is lovely compared to the BT46, and getting squared off).

The difference is tiny, I haven't ridden that particular swap back to back but having done it on other similar bikes, it just means you have to lean a fraction more for a given turn, or reduce rear preload a step, or drop the forks a little. And that's pretty extreme, a lot of the time you can't really tell at all.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah I took one look at the selection of 150/70's about 15 years ago and have been running 160/60 ever since. Can't tell a difference and the wheel is perfectly happy with that size. No issues with running radials.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

I see revzilla has it: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bridgestone-battlax-bt46-sport-touring-tires?sku_id=1841623

Why not just some other brand of tire?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ok this dirt bike is driving me nuts. Will not start, though it's at the point now where I can get it to sputter up for a second with starter fluid.
Compression - good, rebuilt the top end and I'm getting 165-170 psi without having broken it all in
Spark - new plug. I have spark but it seemed week so I checked everything over and the coil was bad, replaced that and it looks good now
Fuel- carb was rebuilt recently, not by me but I gave it a good clean and checked it over, all the jets and needles are stock as per the manual. The plug is also always wet when I take it out so I know it's passing everything through. I also drained the tank and refilled it as the gas was 2 years old.

I'm not as well versed in 2 stroke but it seems like it should be easier and everything here looks fine, what am I missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's the carb.