Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

CaptainSarcastic posted:

being able to switch between apps without having to return to the home screen every time is nice.

?????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I assume that's referring to the double tap to quick switch you can do on Androids with the navbar, as the app switcher is accessed in the same way on Android and iOS isn't it? You swipe up and hold and then scroll through your open apps in a menu that is far worse than the app index they had some android versions ago.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It's not just a matter of control, it's a matter of accessing controls. The iOS control panel is an absolute mess, and trying to find the section you need for the thing you want to change easily becomes a goddamn safari. Multitasking on Android is way easier for me, at least it is using 3-button navigation. Having clear, consistent controls between apps is hugely helpful for me, and being able to switch between apps without having to return to the home screen every time is nice. Despite using an iPhone for work, and having to provide tech support to my Boomer parents with their iPhones, I find them much more obtuse and the user interface much more hostile than Android.

Switching apps on the iphone works the same way it does for Android if you use gestures and not the 3 button menu. If its got the physical home button then you just double tap that.

e:fb

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Incessant Excess posted:

I assume that's referring to the double tap to quick switch you can do on Androids with the navbar, as the app switcher is accessed in the same way on Android and iOS isn't it? You swipe up and hold and then scroll through your open apps in a menu that is far worse than the app index they had some android versions ago.

Swiping left/right directly on the gesture pill provides equivalent quick switch functionality (technically it's superior since you can do it across the entire recents stack instead of just the last 2).

Gesture navigation just doesn't click with some no matter how hard they try so his point about 3 button navigation is valid regardless.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

bull3964 posted:

Was not aware of the press and hold space bar thing, though I guess that brings up questions of discoverability if the OS never actually told me about it.

For notifications, there are quite a few things.

First and foremost, I always feel blind due to the lack of any icon or indicator when you are just using the device that there are notifications. Android has icons for your notifications in the top bar that are there right next to the time to let you know they exist. iOS does not do that and I can’t understand why. I’m a “device on silent most of the time” person and I can’t even image the number of notifications that would go unnoticed for me if I used an iPhone. Glance away at the phone for a second, just long enough to miss the toast, and you have no idea something came in unless you explicitly checked for it. Even a simple dot to tell you there’s something in notifications would be something.

Second, the grouping and the concept of older notifications is just odd to me and I can’t get used to it. On android, notifications are consistent. The ones that show on your lock screen are the same ones that show when you pull down the notification shade are the same ones that are represented in the notification bar via icons (unless you explicitly change how the notification presents itself). They do group, via app, but the don’t fall off unless they clear on their own for some reason, you dismiss them, or you address them.

Right now on my iPad, the lock screen has nothing on it as far as notifications go. If I pull down the notification shade after I’m in the device, there are notifications in there. That’s just…wrong to me. There’s a notification there as far back as Thursday that’s gotten ignored I guess to the point where it’s not on the lock screen anymore. Then sometimes there’s notifications for the same app that are in two different spots because some of them are “older”, so now that means I have to dismiss notifications for the same app in two spots instead of all at once. I understand the concept at its base, but I cannot for the life of me wrap my head around a practical use for the extra complication.

So, what it tells me that unless I’m hyper vigilant about addressing the stuff on my lock screen, it falls off to the notification center and if it falls off to the notification center, I have no way of knowing at a glance that stuff is in there unless I explicitly check for it. It feels very fiddly, like it needs micromanagement and obsessive checking. Because of that, I find notifications on Android so much more stress free. Then when you introduce Always On Display, it’s essentially game over. I can tell, without even touching my device, at a glance, that I have notifications and for what app they are. Hell, I can tell from across the room that I have notifications even if the icons are too small to discern at that distance.

Then there’s the dots. They are widely inconsistent. I have several notifications that don’t show any sort of badge at all on their application even though they are turned on in settings. But then there are some that have had their notifications dismissed days ago but the badge is still there until I actually open the app. So, the one thing that could potentially alert me on just the home screen that I have a notification for an app without having to go to the notification center just seems completely unreliable. I got dots for stuff I know about and dismissed and no dots for things I haven’t seen or addressed in any way.

I also don’t really like how you can’t dismiss the media notification controls if the app isn’t swiped away.

But that about sums up my impressions after using iOS on and off for about 18 months. Notifications feel stressful and require too much management when their whole point is they are supposed to simplify management and immediately make apparent what things you need to address.
ngl half of this just reads like you’re used to one system vs the other, not that Android is objectively better. Like I miss Android notifications all the time when my phone is unlocked because they secretly just slip into the status bar, where on iOS you’d get a whole toast every time there’s a new notification.

iOS app notification badges definitely can be buggy as hell though, that’s legit.

Also on my Android so very often I will get flooded with notifications as soon as I unlock it. Why weren’t you getting these/showing me these on the lock screen earlier?! What good is a notification if I have to pick up and unlock my phone to even receive it.

I guess I’m also still not really sure how much Android notifications are that much better than iOS these days, other than “just a little different from each other”.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

fourwood posted:

ngl half of this just reads like you’re used to one system vs the other, not that Android is objectively better. Like I miss Android notifications all the time when my phone is unlocked because they secretly just slip into the status bar, where on iOS you’d get a whole toast every time there’s a new notification.

iOS app notification badges definitely can be buggy as hell though, that’s legit.

Also on my Android so very often I will get flooded with notifications as soon as I unlock it. Why weren’t you getting these/showing me these on the lock screen earlier?! What good is a notification if I have to pick up and unlock my phone to even receive it.

I guess I’m also still not really sure how much Android notifications are that much better than iOS these days, other than “just a little different from each other”.

I use both actively as my work phone is an iPhone, and I agree with all of bull's points about iOS. It's a terrible user experience.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I use both ios and android in my day to day (separate work phone).
I never use or rely on ios notifications. They are effectively hidden and as a result are very poor notifiers. If it's not on the lock screen and isn't in my email on ios, I basically don't see it.

Android notifications are almost frustratingly obvious to me at times so I know something is waiting for my interaction or is playing and I can control.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

fourwood posted:

Like I miss Android notifications all the time when my phone is unlocked because they secretly just slip into the status bar, where on iOS you’d get a whole toast every time there’s a new notification.

That's configurable though. If you have an app like that you can easily just go into the notification settings and tell it to do popup notifications.

Part of it is being used to another system, but part of is that it doesn't seem like iOS obeys its own rules which then in turn leads to ambiguity.

Like, everything I read tells me that notifications on the lock screen fall off the lock screen and are only in the notification center after you unlock the phone. Fair enough. That's a definitive rule.

So, I pick up my iPhone that I have sitting there that has 5 google home notifications around cameras. I unlock it, interact with the phone a bit, put it down. 5 minutes later I pick up the phone and they are still on the lock screen which flies in the face of everything I've read about notifications. I also notice they are listed as "time sensitive" so I think that maybe that's what's doing it. But looking up "Time Sensitive" notifications and I read "They also stay on your lock screen for an hour."

Uh, ok, the most recent of these notifications is 3 hours ago and the oldest is from 6 hours ago.

Or, is it saying they stay on the lock screen for an hour if you are in DnD mode?

Neither of that explains why they are still on the lock screen after unlocking the phone because everything I've read tells me they should fall off to the notification center after I do that.

So, I'm sitting here with the supposedly the easiest to understand mobile operating system and I'm struggling to define the notification behavior I'm seeing. At that point I write off the way the system handles them and my gut tells me the only thing I can trust is the pull down notification center after I've unlocked the device.

But as far as features go, notification channels on Android are the poo poo and I don't know of any equivalent on iOS. I can completely customize my notification experience for a single application based on the channels. So, if I want popups for certain types of notifications within the app but not others and if I want yet another type to vibrate and a 4th type to be silent and the 5th type to have a specific sound, that's all on the table.

Using google voice as an example.

I could have messages vibrate, make a specific sound, and popup.
Incoming calls could be set to silent (my google voice number shouldn't be getting calls and if it does it's probaby SPAM.)
Voicemail I could set to just vibrate and nothing else
Missed Calls I could just turn off altogether.

So, I can have a specifically talored set of notifications that allows me to get messages at full notification levels, but blackholes calls unless they leave a voicemail while still leaving me the option to pickup the call if I'm expecting it for some reason.

On iOS, all notifications for the app are handled the same way.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

bull3964 posted:

But as far as features go, notification channels on Android are the poo poo and I don't know of any equivalent on iOS. I can completely customize my notification experience for a single application based on the channels. So, if I want popups for certain types of notifications within the app but not others and if I want yet another type to vibrate and a 4th type to be silent and the 5th type to have a specific sound, that's all on the table.

I like this a lot, but also there's situations like getting an audio notification from the Facebook Lite app and going to turn that off for that channel that isn't acting like all the silent Facebook notifications and, um, which one is it?

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Notification channels are definitely cool as a concept, but yeah lots of apps get way too deep into the weeds of computer janitoring with it. Even some Google apps have like 20 different channels. My eyes just glaze over looking at some of the settings screens.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Uthor posted:

I like this a lot, but also there's situations like getting an audio notification from the Facebook Lite app and going to turn that off for that channel that isn't acting like all the silent Facebook notifications and, um, which one is it?

If you long press the notification when you get it and hit the gear icon, it will automatically open up the notification settings and flash the channel that spawned it.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Was not aware of the press and hold space bar thing, though I guess that brings up questions of discoverability if the OS never actually told me about it....

He'll, I didn't even know I could do that in Android until I tried it just now.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Anyone know how to get RCS working on Pixel 6 Pro? I just noticed it's stuck on "Verifying phone number..."

I tried clearing the app cache and rebooting a few times but that didn't make a difference.

Edit - also signed out of messages for web. Also cleared data and cache from carrier services.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 26, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

FogHelmut posted:

Anyone know how to get RCS working on Pixel 6 Pro? I just noticed it's stuck on "Verifying phone number..."

I tried clearing the app cache and rebooting a few times but that didn't make a difference.

Edit - also signed out of messages for web. Also cleared data and cache from carrier services.

Do you have a good connection to the cell tower? It took an hour or more to connect on my Motorola One 5G Ace with a Tracfone SIM, although I had pretty weak signal at the time. I don't remember having to turn it on with my Pixel 6 - as far as I know on that phone it was working out of the box.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Stupid question, but does your carrier support it? I don't know what the state of carriers are in the US. It worked seamlessly for me right away with no issues.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Stupid question, but does your carrier support it? I don't know what the state of carriers are in the US. It worked seamlessly for me right away with no issues.

I hope so, I'm on Google Fi.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

How do I resize the 14-20mb photos my pixel camera takes, so I can get them under 4mb for email etc. I can crop them in the official photos app and sometimes it strips the motion data but most of the time I just go from a 18mb photo to a cropped 12mb photo

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
People still email photos in TYOOL 2022?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Just email a Google Photos album link

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

"How do I do X?"

-Well, I have no way of knowing your use case but the only possible answer is 'don't do x'

Stack Overflow is leaking.

In any event OP, an app like Photoshop Express can resize or save in higher jpg compression via the three-dot menu.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Hadlock posted:

How do I resize the 14-20mb photos my pixel camera takes, so I can get them under 4mb for email etc. I can crop them in the official photos app and sometimes it strips the motion data but most of the time I just go from a 18mb photo to a cropped 12mb photo

Snapseed has options in the settings menu to change the output resolution and jpg compression. Mess around with those until you get the size you want when you export. Photos are saved to the Snapseed folder.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

I use a small app called ImageShrink, it's a share option from Photos and just asks you what size you want to resize to (in pixel dimension), does the dew, and pops another share list to send it on to email or whatever. It strips metadata and most likely motion so if that's important then it probably isn't for you. Lite version does one at a time, or spend :fivecbux: for batch ops.

e; I just looked at the settings and you can choose to keep metadata and even set a default size/quality so it just blips past on your way to email.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Apr 28, 2022

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Pvt. Parts posted:

People still email photos in TYOOL 2022?

Yes. People I email photos to do not tend to open links to photo albums on the web, my mom would just be confused if I did this and call me to ask what she should do. I'd rather send a few for them to actually see. They're all old and don't do social media.

I also email photos of work stuff to my work email so I can open them on the computer and save them on the network. That's about as far as I want to connect my personal phone with my job.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Another non-solution I'll volunteer is that the outlook app spontaneously offers to resize images and you can't even disable it.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I use aquamail and it does the same, very handy

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Cool I will check these options out. I was hoping there was a native solution in the photos app but this works too

I have an imported pre war car and my parts guy is like 70 years old, five states away. I take pictures of the thing I need and he mails me parts and an invoice. Yesterday was ordering specialty yellow (not white) French headlight bulbs and some position light housings. Getting olds to use stuff like Whatsapp is not going to happen. They use email to run their whole business

Apparently if you take photos with the flash on, the image size comes out to ~4mb

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Had a Pixel 3 die on me the other day, totally hard bricked cannot get any life out of it, but if I hook it up to a charger the charger can see something is there so it's got some form of life in it. Most of my stuff was on the cloud so it's not too bad but there are a few things I'm missing, is there anyway to get them off of there? Obviously I can't turn it on but I'm hoping there's some computer program I can use or if I hit it with the heat gun and open it up something I can get at in there. Any possibility?

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

regulargonzalez posted:

"How do I do X?"

-Well, I have no way of knowing your use case but the only possible answer is 'don't do x'

Stack Overflow is leaking.

In any event OP, an app like Photoshop Express can resize or save in higher jpg compression via the three-dot menu.

I mean it's worth talking about better ways of doing things, especially when that thing is something people have been insisting on doing in a very cumbersome way for a while now.

Uthor posted:

Yes. People I email photos to do not tend to open links to photo albums on the web, my mom would just be confused if I did this and call me to ask what she should do. I'd rather send a few for them to actually see. They're all old and don't do social media.

I also email photos of work stuff to my work email so I can open them on the computer and save them on the network. That's about as far as I want to connect my personal phone with my job.
Tell her to literally click on the link in the email you send. Hell, you can even make it a button/image with a url attached. It could not get easier, and it won't junk up her inbox or yours! As for sending stuff to work, you can use Google Drive or an ftp service over a shared network or one of about a million free file hosting sites for that.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Pvt. Parts posted:

Tell her to literally click on the link in the email you send. Hell, you can even make it a button/image with a url attached.

I am in two SMS chats with her, one us two and the other including my sibling. If I send her a picture to one chat and she looks for it later in the other chat and doesn't see it, she will call me and ask and either I will be able to convince her to look in the other thread or she will convince me to send it again.

There is nothing that I can do that will be easier and get less complaints than attaching JPGs. I've done URLs to OneDrive albums and she barely ever looked at those, later asking about the photos.

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

Looking for advice on getting photos taken on my phone sync'd back to my PC.

Once upon a time I used a sync tool that pulled everything from Google drive periodically, but Google hosed that a few years back by not having photos appear in your Google drive any more.

The only way I've found has been manually picking photos in the photos web app and downloading them in batches, but Christ is it tedious.

Has anyone else got a nice solution?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Take a look at SyncThing, which I used to use to do just that.

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Thanks for the tip, I'll take a look!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I use OneDrive, which is like Google Drive, but I can actually understand how it works. But I was using it for storing my documents anyway and made sense to have everything in one program. And it was the cheapest for enough data usage a long time ago.

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Can't remember the name, but I used a similar program. Worked okay, wasn't 100% thought out when I used it, but I was okay with how it worked. My biggest issue was that it only synced when both devices were turned on when stuff controlled by Google/Microsoft/etc run on their networks (positives and negatives).

Uthor fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 28, 2022

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

make sure you're not enrolled in the beta for the messages app, if you are unenroll, uninstall messages and install it again via playstore.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
From reading the last few pages it seems like the Pixel 6 is the current least-worst Android option right now? Mainly posting to see if there's anything I'm forgetting about or missing.

I have an S10e at the moment and the battery is almost dead despite me trying to treat it well for the last 3 years, so looking for a new phone (but could also get a new battery if there are no better options). Before this I had a Pixel 1 that I had to RMA 3 times before replacing it, as the phone would get into a loop whilst in my pocket, get really hot and then run out of battery, and it would always hard crash in the camera app. Hopefully Pixel's are better now because that whole RMA cycle sucked.

I'd like to avoid Samsung since I've disliked the UI on my S10e and all the duplicated apps, but I guess I could go back to modifying on say an S21/22 if there are only worse alternatives. From reading around it seems like I missed the years where OnePlus may have been actually kind of good, and it's now poo poo again. There's not many other options available here (Netherlands), some Xiaomi and OPPO phones, also the Sony Xperia 1 III? There's basically only Samsung left now with a large offering.

Think this is the most tempted I've been to get an iPhone, but I agree with all the points about iOS having an obtuse (to me) notification system and overall UI.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

From what I've been able to observe by catching glances of people's screens, most don't give a poo poo and will just use what is set up as the default on the phone.

I even see people using the lovely Verizon-branded messages app for texting because it's there.

You can get pretty close to de-Samsung-ing a Samsung, but YMMV because carriers and manufacturers have all kinds of back-door deals that will sometimes ship poo poo in the /system partition, so it can only be disabled. Generally, the cheaper the model, the more bullshit you'll have to deal with.

I'm one of the "OnePlus was never actually good" crew. Rebranded Oppo's with shady marketing and flat out misogynistic promos were enough to get me to write them off entirely from the beginning.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Photex posted:

make sure you're not enrolled in the beta for the messages app, if you are unenroll, uninstall messages and install it again via playstore.

I was part of beta. I unenrolled, but couldn't uninstall the whole app - only the updates. So I did that, then cleared Messages and Carrier Services cache and data, then rebooted, then reinstalled the updates for Messages and it appears that I'm using the stable version now.

Still isn't verifying my number.

Going to have to call Fi support.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

I was part of beta. I unenrolled, but couldn't uninstall the whole app - only the updates. So I did that, then cleared Messages and Carrier Services cache and data, then rebooted, then reinstalled the updates for Messages and it appears that I'm using the stable version now.

Still isn't verifying my number.

Going to have to call Fi support.

Don't try to verify for awhile, like a week and to be honest all this effort you're going to be really mad it's loving useless since a lot of people have this issue

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Google Fi support gave me these instructions, which did work:

Turn on Airplane mode with WiFi on.
Open the Messages app.
Tap More >> Settings >> Advanced Settings >> Google Fi settings.
If sync is turned on, tap Stop sync & sign out >> Stop syncing >> select to keep or delete messages.
If sync isn't turned on, tap Sync texts, calls & voicemails across screens >> select Google Fi account >> Sync conversations (do not have to wait to complete the sync) >> Stop sync & sign out >> Stop syncing >> select to keep or delete messages.
Tap More >> Settings >> Blocked Numbers. Make sure the Google short codes 224444, 244444, or 256447 aren’t blocked.
Open the Settings app.
Tap Apps. If you don't see all your apps, first tap See all apps or App info.
Tap the Messages app >> Force stop >> Ok >> Storage & cache >> Clear storage.
Open the Phone app.
Turn off Airplane mode.
Open the Messages app.

Google's poo poo is so janky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

FogHelmut posted:

Google Fi support gave me these instructions, which did work:

Turn on Airplane mode with WiFi on.
Open the Messages app.
Tap More >> Settings >> Advanced Settings >> Google Fi settings.
If sync is turned on, tap Stop sync & sign out >> Stop syncing >> select to keep or delete messages.
If sync isn't turned on, tap Sync texts, calls & voicemails across screens >> select Google Fi account >> Sync conversations (do not have to wait to complete the sync) >> Stop sync & sign out >> Stop syncing >> select to keep or delete messages.
Tap More >> Settings >> Blocked Numbers. Make sure the Google short codes 224444, 244444, or 256447 aren’t blocked.
Open the Settings app.
Tap Apps. If you don't see all your apps, first tap See all apps or App info.
Tap the Messages app >> Force stop >> Ok >> Storage & cache >> Clear storage.
Open the Phone app.
Turn off Airplane mode.
Open the Messages app.

Google's poo poo is so janky.

Wow.