Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

If I was rich enough to be leasing a 150k luxo barge, I would do just about anything to not have to spend any of my life in a loving car (outside of pleasure driving, which isn't happening in a 7 series).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I might be broken because I would totally enjoy pleasure driving in a 7 series. Diff'rent strokes I guess? Obviously it's very numb in many ways but there is a certain pleasure in that. Numbing the world around you with gobs of power at the push of a pedal is pretty alluring, and luxobarges can be understated on the road in a way that sports cars often aren't (Civic Type R anyone?).

I am not a car historian nerd but isn't that also what made BMW famous in the first place? Power and luxury in one. Their raw sports models came later.

All of this being said, I hate how most modern BMWs look, and I used to love their design language. No one has replaced that design language nirvana though the Koreans are coming close. It's not me that's wrong, it's the children.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 23, 2022

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/Kmnyyaal/2022-gmc-hummer-ev-pickup-edition-1

Two hundred and sixty loving thousand dollars :staredog:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Did they copy the Tesla truck, make it look better, and beat them to market? :lol:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 27, 2022

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

But does it Twitter?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It’s $112k sticker? Who is this for?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Dr. Lunchables posted:

People with a lot of money who want a giant fast car.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Clearly for people with at least twice that much to spend :v:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Desperate people

Also ones that want to get stuck while offroading

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It’s gonna weigh soooo much. Can’t wait to see these at mud drags, digging huge pits.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Dr. Lunchables posted:

LeBron will just do that thing wherever he is - he'll just curb the dead one and have a new one delivered to him on the spot when it runs out of juice.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I said this when they were first announced: These will be painted gold and driving around Dubai.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
This is exposing something of a double standard. If Porsche was the one releasing this abomination people would be saying "selling this piece of poo poo is what allows Porsche to keep making Caymans and 911s." No one seems to be saying "GM is selling this 9000-lb electric rocket barn so it can fund mid-engine Corvettes." Which is doubly perplexing because Porsche surely makes much larger margins on the 911 than GM does on the Corvette.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Dr. Lunchables posted:

You know how cool cars like Lambos, Ferraris, Bugattis, and MacLarens are badass until you meet types of chode that own them? (no offense Kimbo) Those people. People with more money than taste.

That being said, paint that sucker yellow and it's the realest Tonka.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

PBCrunch posted:

This is exposing something of a double standard. If Porsche was the one releasing this abomination people would be saying "selling this piece of poo poo is what allows Porsche to keep making Caymans and 911s." No one seems to be saying "GM is selling this 9000-lb electric rocket barn so it can fund mid-engine Corvettes." Which is doubly perplexing because Porsche surely makes much larger margins on the 911 than GM does on the Corvette.

I kinda feel like the Cayenne is a retrospect thing, it makes sense looking back now but everyone was mad at the time.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

PBCrunch posted:

It's just too egregious for me. Like I loathe SUVs across the board, but unleashing a 9,000 pound monstrosity onto public streets is just a colossal middle finger to absolutely every single other person on -- or even adjacent to -- the road. It's not just "wah fast SUV dumb, why no race car". This thing is on a tier of its own. Like I forget which journalist said it but whoever it was nailed it with "For the Hummer EV to be successful it has to be even more antisocial than the ICE Hummer was", and that is exactly it. It so aggressively "gently caress you". I'm just glad most people in my city are too poor to afford one so hopefully I'll never see one.

Like the only thing good I can say is kudos for not pretending to give a gently caress about the environment with this one :confuoot:

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

But it's electric.

:confused:

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

BlackMK4 posted:

I kinda feel like the Cayenne is a retrospect thing, it makes sense looking back now but everyone was mad at the time.

I dunno, I recall "selling this lets us keep making 15 different 911 models" was the official line at launch, only difference now is the actual sales data to back it up. Yeah, lots of people got mad, but lots more 911 guys just ordered a Cayenne for their wife or whatever and went on with their day.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

BlackMK4 posted:

Only people who didnt try one out. 911 guys not just bought one for the wife but also bought one to tow a horse float or their race car. Or slapped a set of numbers onto their Cayenne when their race car broke at a supersprint and went faster than their race Porsche.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

PBCrunch posted:

What does any of this have to do with the electric hummer being as large and as heavy as it is though? Does its weight tie into how many more Z06s they can make or something?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Bringing the Hummer back as an excessive halo vehicle is probably a good thing and may well bring along a large customer base that until now wouldn't consider an EV. However it probably didn't need to be as excessive and ridiculous as it turned out, and I bet the Lightning will end up bringing in more of those same customers thanks to it being just a regular ol' truck with a bunch of new tricks.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah it's an obscene thing, but on the other hand, I'm a kid and this is cool ,etc

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Bringing the Hummer back as an excessive halo vehicle is probably a good thing and may well bring along a large customer base that until now wouldn't consider an EV. However it probably didn't need to be as excessive and ridiculous as it turned out, and I bet the Lightning will end up bringing in more of those same customers thanks to it being just a regular ol' truck with a bunch of new tricks.

I am 100% certain that the Lightning is going to be the single vehicle that's going to swing the largest amount of people who wouldn't even consider an EV before into EV lovers. Incredible towing, don't have to pay for gas, look at all this stuff you can plug into it not too weird looking yet exclusive enough to thumb your nose at a standard F150.

The Hummer meanwile

EDIT I should say this is in the USA only re: the non-EV to EV people.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 27, 2022

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Can't wait to have that grill and the 9000 pounds behind it 6 inches off my bumper as I'm doing 10 over passing people.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

KakerMix posted:

I am 100% certain that the Lightning is going to be the single vehicle that's going to swing the largest amount of people who wouldn't even consider an EV before into EV lovers. Incredible towing, don't have to pay for gas, look at all this stuff you can plug into it not too weird looking yet exclusive enough to thumb your nose at a standard F150.
It's not going to be ideal for towing heavy or towing long (distance), but it'll be great for 90% of truck DD drivers.

I'm on the list, but far down it.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I'm going full locomotive once there is a supercab Lightning available. Tossing a diesel generator in the bed disguised as a toolbox and making all the cho cho noises while towing a horse trailer.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Manuelle Supra

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/this-is-the-manual-toyota-supra-official-release.13228/

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Laughing at:

"All new 6-speed Manual Transmission, bespoke to the Supra, available on all 3.0 Trims"

And then later:

"The transmission is a modified version of an existing BMW 6-speed (Either a ZF GS6 or Magna 6MTI550) with some case modifications and a new clutch system."

There are a lot of ways to interpret what Bespoke means, I just think it's funny how it gets thrown around so much by marketing now a days.

Franco Caution fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 28, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hey, it's new to Toyota! Don't make them feel bad because they had to buy a craigslist transmission to be able to get to work.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Unique Colors: White and Gray

😐

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

BloodBag posted:

You know how cool cars like Lambos, Ferraris, Bugattis, and MacLarens are badass until you meet types of chode that own them? (no offense Kimbo) Those people. People with more money than taste.

:negcycle:
I have never met another Ferrari owner and that seems to be working out ok for me.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Franco Caution posted:

There are a lot of ways to interpret what Bespoke means, I just think it's funny how it gets thrown around so much by marketing now a days.

I still find it amusing Toyota paraded it around with the A90 chassis code on the camouflage wrap when the car itself doesn't even have a Toyota chassis code, let alone one that's related to a Supra. It doesn't matter but also it matters, marketers are the worst.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Franco Caution posted:

Laughing at:

"All new 6-speed Manual Transmission, bespoke to the Supra, available on all 3.0 Trims"

And then later:

"The transmission is a modified version of an existing BMW 6-speed (Either a ZF GS6 or Magna 6MTI550) with some case modifications and a new clutch system."

A standard ZF unit with a part number specific to the Supra makes it technically bespoke

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

As everyone is saying they knew exactly what they were doing.

Additional WILD SPECULATION. Toyota didn't want the rubbery manual that BMW has so they said, hey the ZF works great, that's what we launch it with and we'll take a couple years to modify/design a manual that is really good and meets all the specifications for ~Toyota longevity~ (that the B58 benefitted greatly from). So what I'm trying to say is, this is the best possible situation.

I'd love to try the lighter base version with a manual.

My wild speculation was correct from earlier. Toyota was tinkering and prodding the bmw box.

Looks like only the 3.0 with a manual but that’s ok.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 28, 2022

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Sab669 posted:

Unique Colors: White and Gray

😐

“C U later gray” lmao

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

PBCrunch posted:

people are paying a fortune for a corvette with a loving awful interior so no there really isnt a comparison there

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Proud Christian Mom posted:

people are paying a fortune for a corvette with a loving awful interior so no there really isnt a comparison there

Yes, the Corvette has a crappy interior. But the base price of a 911 is $40K higher ($60,900 vs. $101,200). There probably isn't $200 in additional interior materials cost in a base 911 compared to a base Corvette.

The base Corvette has an extra 120 hp. And an engine in a sensible place.

The electric Hummer is pretty neat but the people who will buy it are largely awful.

As for the Supra:

quote:

A91-MT Special Edition, Limited to 500 units, in Matte White or "CU Later Gray", with Cognac leather interior, & Red rear logo + red strut tower braces. Special Edition badge on side of dash.
Barf. If you're going to name a color "CU Later ___" the color should at least be copper.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

PBCrunch posted:

Barf. If you're going to name a color "CU Later ___" the color should at least be copper.

Or alligator green

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

PBCrunch posted:

It is BMW's sparkling copper grey metallic so yes :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I love Corn.

https://www.theautopian.com/theres-a-new-chinese-electric-city-car-named-corn-and-its-so-drat-cute-i-want-to-spit/

https://twitter.com/petrany/status/1519679878756503554

quote:

It’s built on Changan’s EPA0 small city-car platform, which is a front-motor, FWD setup with seating for four. And, as developed into the Lumin Corn, it has dimensions that are almost the exact same as a classic BMC Mini: about 10 feet long, 5’7″ tall (that’s actually a good bit taller than an old Mini), and about five feet wide.

The car has two motor options, one making about 41 hp and one making about 48 hp – again, numbers that are very much on par with an original Mini, and as someone who regularly drives a 52 hp car, I can say adequate for most normal driving needs.

There are two battery options for the Lumin Corn, a 12.92 kWh or a 17.65 kWh pack, which give the car driving ranges between 96 and 130 miles. That is legitimately useful, especially when you consider that a Tesla Model 3 with a 75 kWh battery pack, which is about quadruple the size of the bigger Lumin Corn battery pack, only delivers less than twice the range.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Apr 29, 2022