Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I tried playing evolve but can't even get past early civilization because it seems to want me to click to gather lumber hundreds of times. Am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

yeah lmao the automation script that does it for you

(building a house will let you start a population that you can assign to do tasks in the Civic tab like gathering lumber once you've researched Primitive Axes, and later on you can buy upgrades to increase the manual gathering speed)

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
You go to the government tab and assign citizens to be lumberjacks to automatically collect lumber (and eventually other resources).

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah Evolve is very slow (which I like) but it's definitely not a "clicker" by any means.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Oenis posted:

I just completed it, even got a certificate that I did it in 1 hour and 5 minutes and 32 seconds. I dare you to beat that time!
40 minutes and 39 seconds of active play, though for the last 10 or more I was extremely bored!

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Sindai posted:

I tried playing evolve but can't even get past early civilization because it seems to want me to click to gather lumber hundreds of times. Am I missing something?

I use an autoclicker (OP Autoclicker 3.0) that I can toggle on and off with F6 and it gets through that stuff fast. And as others have said you quickly are able to assign citizens to do it for you.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Doing ants and banana republic, may be a mistake because the malaises seem to be multiplying.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Sitting on 75% regular mastery, a little shy of 3000 plasmids and 170 phage. Should I just keep 3* bioseeding a bit more to fill out achievements or should I proceed to the next reset type? Any tips for early Black Hole resets?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

KazigluBey posted:

Sitting on 75% regular mastery, a little shy of 3000 plasmids and 170 phage. Should I just keep 3* bioseeding a bit more to fill out achievements or should I proceed to the next reset type? Any tips for early Black Hole resets?

You've got far more mastery than you need while also having far too little phage, somehow. Either way you could easily 3* BH out and the only real tip is to make sure to do a proper inheritance setup first including Ent and Human in the line somewhere.

E: Actually with the event still going on Human - Ent - Bunny would be ideal for early game inheritance structure.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 25, 2022

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Rynoto posted:

You've got far more mastery than you need while also having far too little phage, somehow.

Lots of 3* MADs to systematically get achievements, and only recently started doing Bioseeds; game tells me I've done 70 MADs and 6 Bioseeds.

So if I BH out, which Universe should I shoot for first? I'm vaguely aware the thread recommends hopping around all the Universes for their specific Achievements, unless I'm mistaken.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I did the first black hole at around 29% mastery and 250 phage, you should be fine. Now I'm doinking around in antimatter. I did it as Ents and inherited Armored from Tortoisian to help with the Hell Dimension.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I've been playing WAMI recently, suits my style pretty nicely (lots of management options, not much micro needed - that burned me out in Trimps). Just got to stage 380. I like that it feels like something constantly improves no matter what I focus on. Apparently the dev is releasing a new game soon, hope it's also nice.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

KazigluBey posted:

Lots of 3* MADs to systematically get achievements, and only recently started doing Bioseeds; game tells me I've done 70 MADs and 6 Bioseeds.

So if I BH out, which Universe should I shoot for first? I'm vaguely aware the thread recommends hopping around all the Universes for their specific Achievements, unless I'm mistaken.

You should be fine with any of them if you just want to explore the game.

Heavy is pretty easy, and it'll be the fastest way to build up the phage that you need by doing bioseed resets.

Once you get bored of that, Antimatter is a good choice. It'll be a little slow at first, but you'll soon get upgrades that will let your plasmids partially apply in antimatter, and vice-versa.

But seriously, don't be afraid to goof around in another universe for fun. You get dark matter by switching, and you'll get some universe mastery while exploring. Then, later, when you come back with a specific goal, like getting certain achievements, you'll be on better footing and more familiar with the quirks.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Main universe recommendation:
Heavy - best place for general long-term hangout because of the bonus to prestige currencies. By the time this benefit is less significant, you should be in a good place to make informed decisions on your own.

Good for temporary early visits:
Antimatter - to stockpile some 3k+ antiplasmids and get Bleed 1 crispr.
Evil - to flag extinction and greatness related to angelic races, preferably before your first ascension.

---- Tangential side note: at some point when bouncing around between the above three, and NOT on your way OUT of Antimatter, do the Decay challenge. It's not much worse than a regular BH run in (non-Antimatter) universes, and it gives a nice perk.

Feel free to visit and check out their mechanics, but generally blow off until, say, post-ascension:
Micro
Magic

Can safely never (*) return:
Standard

(*) With the exception of the "White Hole" achievement / perk, for BH-ing out of Standard. If you don't 4* on your initial exit, at some point you should circle back to upgrade this to 4*.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i returned to Standard for 4* technophobe and ascension farming. it has a better dark matter bonus than the other universes

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog
I used to play Evolve a bit, but I lost my save file and kinda lost interest... didn't want to do that Valdi challenge ever again.

That said, I didn't know there was a script for it, where can I find it?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Explainy thing:

https://github.com/TMVictor/Evolve-Scripting-Edition/blob/master/README.md

Actual script:
https://gist.github.com/Vollch/b1a5eec305558a48b7f4575d317d7dd1

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Venuz Patrol posted:

i returned to Standard for 4* technophobe and ascension farming. it has a better dark matter bonus than the other universes

True, I could see the appeal of Standard's dark energy bonus, though I'd still prefer the long-term progression benefits from Heavy.

Not sure about the 4* technophobe part, unless you mean your very first 4* technophobe in any universe (in which case the biggest help is having done a 3* technophobe first). Otherwise, 4* technophobe in any non-Micro universe, like any other achievement, counts as 4* technophobe in Standard too.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Honestly I might pick up trimps again. I had just reached the second dimension in trimps before, so I had played a fair amount of it, but man trimps is a good time.

If you script it.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Agent355 posted:

Honestly I might pick up trimps again. I had just reached the second dimension in trimps before, so I had played a fair amount of it, but man trimps is a good time.

If you script it.

I love trimps because you can set it and forget it for a few weeks, then come back and optimize. It's been perpetually open in a browser window since 2017.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Which is exactly what I want in an idle game. I want to touch them once every 12-48 hours. I enjoy optimizing, achieving breakpoints, and watching numbers go up.

Trimps gud.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Vil posted:

True, I could see the appeal of Standard's dark energy bonus, though I'd still prefer the long-term progression benefits from Heavy.

Heavy is just so good. Dark energy otoh is so boring to farm, and you need like 250 to get the full effect at ~10 per 20 mass runs.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
I started playing evolve again after like a year. I'm doing a black hole reset and I'm tired of waiting to know how many more hours it's going to take to get to the point where I can reset.

I wrote this JS console snippet that I think is correct, but I'd like some independent verification of my math.

foo = setInterval(function() { exoticMassRemaining = ['Elerium', 'Infernite'].map(res => evolve.global.interstellar.mass_ejector[res] * evolve.atomic_mass[res]).reduce((acc, cur)=>acc+cur); console.log((0.025 - evolve.global.interstellar.stellar_engine.exotic) / (exoticMassRemaining/1e10) / 60 ); }, 5000)

[Edit] it was correct. Hope this helps someone else

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 27, 2022

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
So I finally tried Mine Defense and my goodness it is a good idling time, but at some point the slow pace of it burnt me out. Evolve did the same thing, unfortunately. I'm really into substantial paradigm shifts but something about the whole "yeah this'll take five hours of keeping the tab open (and these days, active) can really kick me out of the game.

I really liked Prestige Tree; are there any other high-activity paradigm-shift-y games out there at the moment?

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
Orb of creation is pretty high activity and has a ton of different resources and upgrade paths for you to pursue at any time.

You can always look at prestige tree mods too though lots of them are more waiting than puzzling.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Somfin posted:

So I finally tried Mine Defense and my goodness it is a good idling time, but at some point the slow pace of it burnt me out. Evolve did the same thing, unfortunately. I'm really into substantial paradigm shifts but something about the whole "yeah this'll take five hours of keeping the tab open (and these days, active) can really kick me out of the game.

I really liked Prestige Tree; are there any other high-activity paradigm-shift-y games out there at the moment?

you almost require an auto clicker for the game. the pace is actually pretty good when you get one

I think last time I played I got through the whole game in about a week. if you can write a setinterval function you can get through all the relatively old style bottlenecks

it was a game that bridged the old and new in terms of automation so it's in a slightly awkward spot but still an amazing idle

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Mine Defense was fantastic but also very old school design. Also the ending was far too long with nothing to do.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Feline Mind Meld posted:

you almost require an auto clicker for the game. the pace is actually pretty good when you get one

I think last time I played I got through the whole game in about a week. if you can write a setinterval function you can get through all the relatively old style bottlenecks

it was a game that bridged the old and new in terms of automation so it's in a slightly awkward spot but still an amazing idle

Do you still need an autoclicker after you get auto gem generation? I don't recall

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Is curious how having 1000 hours in an incremental game is normal, where in other type of games means you are pretty addicted to that game.

Sometimes 1000 hours in a incremental game means you are pretty addicted to that game.

I stopped playing Evolve, did not get what I want from a incremental from it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Mine defense is old enough that removing the clicking was still seen as sacrilege. Like who would want to play a game with no interaction?

An Auto clicker was standard with players and sometimes devs screamed at it as cheating. Clicker game community still exists and still yell about auto clickers. So glad idle branched off.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

GrossMurpel posted:

Do you still need an autoclicker after you get auto gem generation? I don't recall
Kind of yes, the clicking gem generation will outpace the auto gem generation via alchemy for a while

but then it does fall off at the very end between the "you autoclick up to fifteen times a second" perk (which requires 15 million of some hireling) and the increasing alchemy yields from the water shrine (which requires dragonscale)

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Evolve: Should I get Synchronicity and Astral Awareness before bouncing out of Antimatter?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Tokelau All Star posted:

Evolve: Should I get Synchronicity and Astral Awareness before bouncing out of Antimatter?

No. You only want to spend Anti-plasmids on Bleed as you'll be able to spend normal plasmids in other universes and Bleed is universe specific while the others in the chain are not.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

GrossMurpel posted:

iirc it's still orders of magnitude better for the parts of the game where you're gem constrained

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Playing mine defense is one of the things that helped me break into JavaScript programming. Making simple functions to check gem amounts and click buttons on timers and such.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Somfin posted:

try Matter Dimensions, after the initial hump it's got very little required downtime. development seems dead since its been like a year but it's got a good lot of content

I've been replaying it since reinstalling windows lately, I think it's maybe my favourite incremental

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Also if you're up for a Prestige Tree mod, Incrementreeverse is my favorite
http://raw.githack.com/pg132/The-Modding-Tree/master/index.html

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
Some evolve questions:

I'm at 95% general mastery, 960 plasmids, 375 phage. 4* Joyless, Steelen, Valdi done.

I just did my first blackhole into evil, grabbed an eden planet, and I'm working through MADs to pick up the evil-specific achievements. I can do 2-3 MADs a day depending on how closely I monitor things, so I don't think it'll take too long to be ready to get out of evil.

When I bioseed to get the angelic race achievement, which is going to be faster, seraph or unicorn? Unicorn feels like it'll be better because I can build shrines to get a wide variety of bonuses, but the temple boost on seraph seems like it might be really good with theocracy to get through the end-of-bioseed neutronium slog. I'm not looking forward to this because knowledge is so slow to gain with these races. I know that becomes a lot less important toward mid-bioseed when you don't need knowledge as much, but it's still not pleasant.

When I go over to antimatter, I should have ~1500 plasmids saved up for the CRISPR upgrades, right? However, I'm wondering if I should grind for a bit to pick up "Standard" (Challenge 4) first. I also don't have Mutation 2+3+Transendence, which would cost a total of 6250, but I'm assuming that will come in time and I shouldn't focus on it.

My thinking is to grind up Challenge 4, save up 1500 plasmids, then do Decay during my jump over to antimatter and just get down to slogging through 4* runs and pick up Bleed.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 30, 2022

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
shrines are broken for ascensions b/c they bust through the early & lategame knowledge grind (and you can get a 10-20% steel boost on top to boot)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

crime weed posted:

shrines are broken for ascensions b/c they bust through the early & lategame knowledge grind (and you can get a 10-20% steel boost on top to boot)

Good to know. So unicorns get better the deeper you go, meaning they're an excellent choice for my next bioseed and blackhole.