Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Arist posted:

I still think Jake is going to show up, but it'll be really funny if Jake pulls a Mephisto (by which I mean, ends up not existing)

I think Jake was the one trying to kill Dr. Harrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
It sucks that we had to wait for the penultimate episode to finally get something great. I hope there are some big surprises for the finale but I'm tempering my expectations given that we have already seen a giant purple space laser and Moon Knight fighting another evil Moon Knight ontop of pyramids in the trailers.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
This episode is bothering me like an old war wound, and it has little to do with the episode itself.

I guess that's what trigger warnings are for.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
For a very brief moment I thought that the showrunners were going to throw us old fans for a loop and make Randall the real one, and Marc and Steven his two other identities.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

A.o.D. posted:

This episode is bothering me like an old war wound, and it has little to do with the episode itself.

I guess that's what trigger warnings are for.

Yeah, this episode was going to be harsh on anyone with parental abuse issues and/or a sibling who died.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Everyone posted:

Yeah, this episode was going to be harsh on anyone with parental abuse issues and/or a sibling who died.

I found the scene of Stephen telling Marc that it wasn't his fault, because he was just a child quite emotive really and that's just based off a minor thing that happened to me when I was a teenager, and a counsellor said the same to me years later when I brought it up in a counselling session. Nothing anywhere near as heavy as parental abuse or dead siblings, but still something that ended up with someone else taking a minor injury. So I can only imagine how it'd have hosed with people who went through similar situations in reality.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Everyone posted:

I don't have DID, but there is poo poo I cannot remember unprompted, but given the right prompt of "hey remember" it snaps back to me with crystal clarity. Afterwards, I can't remember the event, but I can clearly remember that I was reminded of... Something.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Firebert posted:

It sucks that we had to wait for the penultimate episode to finally get something great. I hope there are some big surprises for the finale but I'm tempering my expectations given that we have already seen a giant purple space laser and Moon Knight fighting another evil Moon Knight ontop of pyramids in the trailers.

Sorry...when did we see the bolded part? I must have missed it. The only shot I know of that we haven't seen is a Moon Knight double-crescent kill while backflipping off a car.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I kind of hope they don't have Jake, feels a little late to squeeze in the introduction of a third personality in the final episode

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
At this point it feels Jake's going to be the post-credit scene and we're going to get hit with a surprise Season 2 announcement like Loki

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Raserys posted:

I kind of hope they don't have Jake, feels a little late to squeeze in the introduction of a third personality in the final episode

They've built up the third personality enough that it would be weird to not acknowledge it at all. I could see it being the teaser for season 2 like Rarity said.

MCU shows love building a ton of poo poo up and then leaving all of it unresolved until the last episode

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

this show has been hit or miss for me, but this was easily one of the best episodes of mcu tv. just put oscar isaac opposite oscar isaac with a supporting cast of ethan hawke and a cgi anthropomorphic hippo. simple

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Sorry...when did we see the bolded part? I must have missed it. The only shot I know of that we haven't seen is a Moon Knight double-crescent kill while backflipping off a car.

Super Bowl trailer

'Truth' trailer several weeks ago

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

double negative posted:

this show has been hit or miss for me, but this was easily one of the best episodes of mcu tv. just put oscar isaac opposite oscar isaac with a supporting cast of ethan hawke and a cgi anthropomorphic hippo. simple

Oh this is absolutely true. He 100% sells Marc and Steven as two different people, even when they're on screen together. Which has been tried often in movies and TV shows, and rarely works. I've heard Orphan Black did it well, but I never watched that. drat, though, Isaac is killing it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Firebert posted:

'Truth' trailer several weeks ago

Thank you very much for posting these. That looks like Layla to me but we will see!

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Thank you very much for posting these. That looks like Layla to me but we will see!

I can't take to see cgi Ethan Hawke flying around punching mummyman.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

It easily could be! If I were making a series with an actor who is great but flaky about appearing in cross-over stuff, I would write myself an out and having an Egyptian actress that could take over the mantle if needed is a no-brainer.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I am kind of expecting the other shoe to drop with Layla. The ending of episode 4 felt weird to me where Layla acted all friendly to Marc, but was openly stealing his bingo victory away from him. I'm expecting some kind of twist from her.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
With the state Layla was in after the reveal about her father, I was actually expecting her to be the one to release Amitt.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

thrawn527 posted:

Oh this is absolutely true. He 100% sells Marc and Steven as two different people, even when they're on screen together. Which has been tried often in movies and TV shows, and rarely works. I've heard Orphan Black did it well, but I never watched that. drat, though, Isaac is killing it.

Orphan Black did it incredibly and you should watch it when you have a chance

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Can you, or someone else, please explain what...any of this means?

There's a whole subculture of kids today with self-diagnosed DID who take it very seriously. Also all their alters are anime characters or superheroes

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Piell posted:

Orphan Black did it incredibly and you should watch it when you have a chance

Did it end well, or was it canceled abruptly? This will seriously affect my decision to start watching it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

text editor posted:

There's a whole subculture of kids today with self-diagnosed DID who take it very seriously. Also all their alters are anime characters or superheroes

Well. That's something I learned today.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

thrawn527 posted:

Did it end well, or was it canceled abruptly? This will seriously affect my decision to start watching it.

They knew that the fifth would be the last season before they started making that season and so had a pretty good ending.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I honestly thought that acknowledging Jake was going to be what balanced the scales, so I'm a little bit surprised that wasn't involved with the scales at all. Really fuckin great episode, can't wait to see how they cram everything into the final episode.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Piell posted:

They knew that the fifth would be the last season before they started making that season and so had a pretty good ending.

Good enough for me! It’s now on my “soon to watch” list. Thanks!

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

thrawn527 posted:

Good enough for me! It’s now on my “soon to watch” list. Thanks!

And once you finish you can join the rest of us in squeeeing like schoolgirls over Tatiana Maslany being cast as Jennifer Walters in She-Hulk.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rarity posted:

All the Disney+ shows have a problem with purposefully delaying all the good stuff until right at the end instead of just going all in with it

I feel like that's less a unique problem and more of a problem with modern serialized TV shows. Gotta keep all the good stuff for the mid season breaks/end of the season! Otherwise people won't keep watching! Plus its hard to write good stuff for every episode.

Is it me or is Dr Harrow supposed to be Stan Lee?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

twistedmentat posted:

Is it me or is Dr Harrow supposed to be Stan Lee?

Ethan Hawke took it upon himself to model his look after Carl Jung

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

twistedmentat posted:

I feel like that's less a unique problem and more of a problem with modern serialized TV shows. Gotta keep all the good stuff for the mid season breaks/end of the season! Otherwise people won't keep watching! Plus its hard to write good stuff for every episode.

Marvel fans will sit through 30 minutes of credits to see a 30 second teaser for the next movie, so this makes so much less sense.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

kazil posted:

Marvel fans will sit through 30 minutes of credits to see a 30 second teaser for the next movie, so this makes so much less sense.

Marvel fans have been trained/brainwashed into a adopting a mentality of "What's Next?" Sitting through the credit for a teaser makes sense because the teaser is about what's next. Backloading all the "good stuff" plays into that mentality.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Laters, Gators :smith:

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Gavok posted:

I think Jake was the one trying to kill Dr. Harrow.

Yeah I thought I heard a Boston-ish accent for like 10 seconds during that struggle, surprised that no one else has mentioned it.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I thought I heard it too, but maybe I just wanted to hear it. Still, to do that maybe twice now AND have that sarcophagus then show up and Marc just nopes the gently caress out but still no reveal is some junk punch subterfuge.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

tsob posted:

I noticed that, yeah. I fully expected him to wake up as the taxi driver persona after breaking down in the street following the funeral because of that.
Same here....I mean the taxi was right there in the frame. It seems like it would have been the perfect time to introduce that.

I also assumed, as others mentioned, that the scales weren't going to balance until Jake's existence was revealed

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Great episode wonderful to see a single performance (really two performances) carry an entire show. Honestly the biggest compliment I can give is, while watching it, I forget they're the same actor.

That's also a big kudos to the editor and cinematographer, though, as the framing and such to keep straight who is who, even with different costumes, is crazy difficult.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Big McHuge posted:

Yeah I thought I heard a Boston-ish accent for like 10 seconds during that struggle, surprised that no one else has mentioned it.

I’m about 99% on this being the third alter as well. We enter the scene with “Marc” being injured and bandaged. He also appears to be affecting an accent, which becomes more pronounced as the scene goes on as he talks more. I think we’ll learn the third is the one taking all the beatings and taking the trauma. So Steven feels the good times, and the third takes the bad. He may also be the one who took over during Marc’s base leaving fugue state he mentioned this episode.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

tsob posted:

Christ I hope the show avoids doing that, since it'd undercut the actual backstory a lot if that was true. Then again, people were theorizing that the Kate's dad would turn up alive in Hawkeye, and thankfully the show avoided that particular drama bomb, at least for now, so here's hoping.

Oh, the story as presented in the episode isn't in the comics at all. I doubt they'll do that, I just thought it was interesting to see where they got their inspirations from and what they decided to change. For another example, the way that Marc becomes Moon Knight is basically identical to the way it happens in the comics.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

fractalairduct posted:

Oh, the story as presented in the episode isn't in the comics at all. I doubt they'll do that, I just thought it was interesting to see where they got their inspirations from and what they decided to change. For another example, the way that Marc becomes Moon Knight is basically identical to the way it happens in the comics.

One thing to consider is that this is almost certainly a one-shot mini-series kind of thing. We might see Isaac as Moon Knight in some bigger movie (Midnight Sons?) but we're probably not getting a "Season Two" of Moon Knight as a TV show because, well, Oscar Isaac has bigger poo poo he wants to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rarity posted:

At this point it feels Jake's going to be the post-credit scene and we're going to get hit with a surprise Season 2 announcement like Loki

Jake was in this episode, clear as day. You can even see the transformation from Marc into Jake. It's at the beginning when he's talking to Harrow, you see his face stiffen and his shoulders hunch and he takes on a very different accent, then grabs that item and tries to attack Harrow before he's sedated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyTqfyQjIzo