Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
New prediction for VII remake series: Cloud dies instead of Aerith, to maintain the impact of the death without just repeating kne of the most well-known plot beat in video games. However, he gets replaced by Zack soon after, so mechanically you're no worse off in the long term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Mandoric posted:

Something to note here is that FF6 is otherwise CERO A, and would be bumped up to CERO C or so by depictions of abuse, while FF7r is C to begin with.

Something I realized while playing the Pixel Remaster is that it makes more sense narratively as well. Without Locke witnessing the soldiers beating Celes, the doubt Kefka sows about her true loyalty later on at the Magitek facility seems a little more plausible from Locke's perspective.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Cleretic posted:

New prediction for VII remake series: Cloud dies instead of Aerith, to maintain the impact of the death without just repeating kne of the most well-known plot beat in video games. However, he gets replaced by Zack soon after, so mechanically you're no worse off in the long term.

I think Remake Cloud will get psychically melded with Original Cloud from post-DoC, creating an even more hosed up mind explosion but giving us the Advent Children combat style. Implementing this adds three years to development.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Are Brachiosaurs a particularly rare appearance in the dinosaur forest in VI? I’m trying to get a Celestriad, mainly so I could combine that with Quick, Dualcast, and Ultima to see how quickly I can get through the last boss. I spent 45 minutes fighting Tyranosaurs and then just gave up.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I’m pretty sure the last boss will run out of HP long before your party runs out of MP. The 1 MP accessory is completely unnecessary.

If you want to grind, it’s not hard for Terra to kill him in one turn with genji glove, offering, illumina and the other ultimate sword of your choice. I don’t know what stats/level you’d need for it to be a one-turn kill, but it’s probably faster to get that set up than grinding a rare drop from a rare encounter.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Keromaru5 posted:

Something I realized while playing the Pixel Remaster is that it makes more sense narratively as well. Without Locke witnessing the soldiers beating Celes, the doubt Kefka sows about her true loyalty later on at the Magitek facility seems a little more plausible from Locke's perspective.

That's an interesting way to look at it. I wonder if it's come to mind for them, or if it's considered just a ratings/marketing issue.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I’m pretty sure the last boss will run out of HP long before your party runs out of MP. The 1 MP accessory is completely unnecessary.

If you want to grind, it’s not hard for Terra to kill him in one turn with genji glove, offering, illumina and the other ultimate sword of your choice. I don’t know what stats/level you’d need for it to be a one-turn kill, but it’s probably faster to get that set up than grinding a rare drop from a rare encounter.

To be fair, if you're grinding it's also a really good grind spot. The Brachosaur and Tyrannosaur are the #1 and #3 highest individual EXP drops in the game, IIRC, and 2x Tyrannosaur and 1x Brachosaur should be the #3 and #4 encounters (after 2x Gamma and 1x Gamma 1x Metal Hitman 2x Junk, respectively.)
That said, if you're pushing 9999s, which is quite easy and will leave you plenty of time for MP up levels, you need 4 casts for tier 1, 5 casts for tier 2, and 5 casts for tier 3; since you get 5 casts a turn due to the Dualcast-Quick interaction, you shouldn't even need Gold Hairpin to do UQUUOU on tier 1 and kill it for a net cost of 80 MP, UQUUUU tier 2 to death for 419 MP, UQUUUU tier 3 to death for 419 MP, and be at actual Kefka. Once on Kefka you're looking at at least a 2-turn kill if using magic anyway, so a second or third Osmose don't slow you down.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Bachiosaurs are the rare encounter, and honestly I don't trust the RNG in the PR. I know the rare steal rate, at least, was totally hosed when I played it. Also, a bunch of the encounter tables were really screwed up, and fights that shouldn't be that rare were super rare. Took forever to get a lot of the monsters on the Floating Continent.

Bob Locke
Dec 31, 2007

TL posted:

Are Brachiosaurs a particularly rare appearance in the dinosaur forest in VI? I’m trying to get a Celestriad, mainly so I could combine that with Quick, Dualcast, and Ultima to see how quickly I can get through the last boss. I spent 45 minutes fighting Tyranosaurs and then just gave up.

These are much easier to steal off of the Aquila/Galypdes enemy in the Phoenix Cave. It's a rare steal off an uncommon enemy, but still more common than Brachiosaurs.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Schwartzcough posted:

Bachiosaurs are the rare encounter, and honestly I don't trust the RNG in the PR. I know the rare steal rate, at least, was totally hosed when I played it. Also, a bunch of the encounter tables were really screwed up, and fights that shouldn't be that rare were super rare. Took forever to get a lot of the monsters on the Floating Continent.
Weirdly, in FF1, the Tyrannosaurus/T-REX is the only enemy I could never find in any version. In the Pixel Remaster, I just happened to run into one while strolling back to the airship after beating Tiamat. Then I ran into two more going back for treasure I missed. On the other hand, I spent an hour looking for Warmech with no luck.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Thinking about all this talk of intense, uncomfortable violence in JRPGs and "what will FFVIIR do?," I'm reminded of one of the first JRPGs I ever beat, Xenosaga Episode 1. Probably the most famous scene in the whole trilogy involves a man brutalizing himself to traumatize a little girl. There is violence done to the little girl, too. It was always unforgettable but I don't think we'll ever see anything like that in Xenoblade 3 or FFVIIR if Celes being beaten is being removed from the remasters.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's funny that the censorship to the Albedo scene made it even more weird than it already was

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's funny that the censorship to the Albedo scene made it even more weird than it already was

I can't help but respect approaches to censorship that instead make a scene even more disturbing. That was basically the entire mission statement of Mark Hamill's Joker.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

If anybody cares
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KXEJ-2TgEbLs2yCUFYquc-opxjHr_8thniw8GjH1cHI/edit

quote:

Cloud’s consciousness as a Sephiroth Copy is awakened after he’s called upon by Sephiroth (or rather, Jenova in his guise) in the mural room. This is likely the reason he firmly insists on retrieving the Black Materia. After handing over the long-sought Black Materia to Sephiroth, Cloud is overcome with such confusion that he cannot recognize who he is, and violently beats Aerith as she’s standing beside him.

quote:

Explanation: When Cloud starts acting strangely in front of her, Aerith keeps reassuring him nothing is wrong. Even when he beats her in a half-crazed daze, she stubbornly refuses to fight back. It’s as if she’s aware that the Cloud who’s Sephiroth’s puppet is not the real Cloud, and is trying to alleviate his fears.

it's a bit nostalgic. 20 years ago I argued about Jenova controlling Sephiroth until somebody posted quotes from the Ultimania Omega. i still refused to believe it, even then These are 3rd party sources, not written by the writes themselves.... Still, whatever.

Also

quote:

There’s a scene where Cloud and Aerith laugh together after they escape the church. This is the only time in Final Fantasy VII’s entire story where Cloud laughs freely. Could it be because they sensed something special about one another that they were able to interact so comfortably only moments after meeting?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I wasn't sure what megathread to post this in...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cTtl38FBCQ

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah. Unlike Xenosaga 3's censorship, removing all blood which made numerous scenes in that game a bit of a mess, Xenosaga 1's censorship if anything made it more disturbing than it originally was.

I still don't get how blood was okay in Xenosaga 1 and 2 for the same ESRB rating, but all traces of blood had to be removed in 3. Did the ESRB tighten restrictions at the time or was Bamco just really overzealous?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yeah. Unlike Xenosaga 3's censorship, removing all blood which made numerous scenes in that game a bit of a mess, Xenosaga 1's censorship if anything made it more disturbing than it originally was.

I still don't get how blood was okay in Xenosaga 1 and 2 for the same ESRB rating, but all traces of blood had to be removed in 3. Did the ESRB tighten restrictions at the time or was Bamco just really overzealous?

I don't know any Xeno games that aren't Chronicles 2, but it might be that 3 had more blood, or blood in a more horrifying context. Ace Attorney hit that problem; the fifth game got an M rating compared to the T of the rest of the series, because while all the games had blood, Dual Destinies had blood in an excessive and horrifying context rather than the more clinical contexts of the other games.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well the blood is always in a pretty horrifying context in Xenosaga, not like the forensic context of AA. Blood in Xenosaga never looks good IMO, even though it had pretty impressive cutscenes for the time. That's part of why the Episode 1 scene being censored is improved. But in Episode 3, a huge focus of a scene is a little girl holding a handful of blood but in the censored version she's holding nothing and it makes a pretty dark and serious scene rather silly.

I can only guess it being a focus of an FMV with a child is maybe the cause of the censorship.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

NikkolasKing posted:

Well the blood is always in a pretty horrifying context in Xenosaga, not like the forensic context of AA. Blood in Xenosaga never looks good IMO, even though it had pretty impressive cutscenes for the time. That's part of why the Episode 1 scene being censored is improved. But in Episode 3, a huge focus of a scene is a little girl holding a handful of blood but in the censored version she's holding nothing and it makes a pretty dark and serious scene rather silly.

I can only guess it being a focus of an FMV with a child is maybe the cause of the censorship.

That would actually also track with Dual Destinies, because its big bloody scene is also with a child.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Cleretic posted:

That would actually also track with Dual Destinies, because its big bloody scene is also with a child.

Weirdly I think the most disturbing Ace Attorney case I saw was in Apollo, when it featured like an actual strangulation that you watched happen. No blood though :v:

I always thought the ESRB was a bit of a Calvinball endeavor though since its industry run. Do they actually have published criteria or anything?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Jack visibly frustrated explaining to Donald + the latest Sora that memories aren't that important and you have got to kill Chaos.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Schwartzcough posted:

This. I had my Locke steal from a hill gigas for 15 minutes and not get an item. Spent probably an hour on Goddess to try and get a 2nd minerva bustier and no luck there either. Both setups included the steal boosting accessory as well. Even getting the Gem Box off the Phoenix cave enemy is a huge PITA.

OTOH I stole Ragnarok on the first try in the final fight, only to find out that the save file you make after beating the game doesn't let you keep it which is extremely dumb.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I’ve finally reach the promised land of Shadowbringers, aka the one where you can do the story content solo with AI partners.

Im excited that I now get to enjoy the core content on my own terms, but it’s also ironic that they’ve now started patching that into the base game and earlier expansions. I signed up a year too early!

It was getting to the point that I’d just drop the game upon reaching a story related duty until one of my higher levels friends was available to just run me through it unsynced so I could continue, rather than play with queues of randos. That’s not to say I’ve had many poor experiences playing with others, but I like to enjoy the content without having to worry about meeting the expectations or pace of other players. Im glad the devs understand there’s weirdos like me who want to play the MMO without having to actually interact with people lol.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Always amusing to discover there's someone who apparently loathes interacting with other people online even more than I do lol

You still have to do most of the Trials with other people now sorry, and you're missing out if you don't do any of the raid storylines.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

Always amusing to discover there's someone who apparently loathes interacting with other people online even more than I do lol

You still have to do most of the Trials with other people now sorry, and you're missing out if you don't do any of the raid storylines.

Right, and the good news is I’m a hopeless completionist so I absolutely have to do all the available content at some point or another. No lie one of my favorite things to do in this game is get to a new area, see all the sidequest markers, and then go to town clearing the map of them.

I realize this is a bad trait to have in an online MMO with practically endless content. Combine that with my aversion to online interactions with strangers and I honestly don’t know how this game has its hooks in me so well.

I think what makes it so fun is you really can make the majority of meaningful progress and poo poo on your own, so you’re not totally reliant on buddying up with people at every turn. There’s a good feedback loop of “I’m accomplishing poo poo”. I appreciate that about it.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Make sure you got a class in each job type (5 of em) by the time you get to endwalker if you wanna do everything story related. Shadowbringers owns tho, easily the best. Ff14 is a great single player ff.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I get the feeling, I used to get anxiety every time the MSQ would get to a point where I'd have to do an actual MP duty with other players. But eventually I got over it because it turns out that most people aren't very good and there are very few instances in which anyone cares. If you're not doing anything outside of story difficulty content it's really not a big deal.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Weirdly I think the most disturbing Ace Attorney case I saw was in Apollo, when it featured like an actual strangulation that you watched happen. No blood though :v:

Yeah

Gah

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Professor Beetus posted:

I get the feeling, I used to get anxiety every time the MSQ would get to a point where I'd have to do an actual MP duty with other players. But eventually I got over it because it turns out that most people aren't very good and there are very few instances in which anyone cares. If you're not doing anything outside of story difficulty content it's really not a big deal.

I found hiding the log window, setting status to RP with a note in the examine that RP=log window off helped with that 1000% and not just in duties lol you might miss out on a hunt/fate thing going on but eh, its a trade off

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Man get that filth out of here! He's breaking his own skull!!

was the case where the doctor (iirc) strangles his nurse in apollo? I remember thinking it was way worse than your usual reveal because you actually see it happening versus "has weapon, swing, cut to body like the others

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Vikar Jerome posted:

I found hiding the log window, setting status to RP with a note in the examine that RP=log window off helped with that 1000% and not just in duties lol you might miss out on a hunt/fate thing going on but eh, its a trade off

This seems like a bit much, especially since people actually do explain mechanics via the party chat, but whatever it takes I guess. FF14 is really an incredible JRPG and very worthy to be a mainline Final Fantasy title so I hope more people give it a chance. I was even a person who scoffed at this sentiment before I came back to the game last October, but finishing up HW->Endwalker made me a true believer.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Professor Beetus posted:

This seems like a bit much, especially since people actually do explain mechanics via the party chat, but whatever it takes I guess. FF14 is really an incredible JRPG and very worthy to be a mainline Final Fantasy title so I hope more people give it a chance. I was even a person who scoffed at this sentiment before I came back to the game last October, but finishing up HW->Endwalker made me a true believer.

you dont need mechanics explaining, game does a good job of showing you whats going on, and learning as you go, at least from my experience. they dont call it babys first mmo for nothing lol. always found it weird tho how a lot of people in game act like its dark souls blindfolded or something, but whatever.

yeah its a solid entry worthy of the ff name, at least hw->endwalker, even with some of the misteps along the way. its wild because it felt like you were watching them learn how to tell a story and write characters along the way. goddamn ff16 is gonna own.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

man nurse posted:

Right, and the good news is I’m a hopeless completionist so I absolutely have to do all the available content at some point or another. No lie one of my favorite things to do in this game is get to a new area, see all the sidequest markers, and then go to town clearing the map of them.

Hell yes. There are some good little arcs in there.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Vikar Jerome posted:

you dont need mechanics explaining, game does a good job of showing you whats going on, and learning as you go, at least from my experience. they dont call it babys first mmo for nothing lol. always found it weird tho how a lot of people in game act like its dark souls blindfolded or something, but whatever.

yeah its a solid entry worthy of the ff name, at least hw->endwalker, even with some of the misteps along the way. its wild because it felt like you were watching them learn how to tell a story and write characters along the way. goddamn ff16 is gonna own.

100%. I think one thing that made it work for me was that, even in ARR, they'd created characters interesting enough that I wanted to keep seeing how they developed, even in the less great ARR stuff. As they improve the storytelling, for the most part the character arcs get better as well. It made me feel invested in the cast for a long time, and even though I burned through the entire hw-ew story in a couple months, it felt like I'd known these characters for years. I was incredibly sold 99% of the time.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Almost finished with FFVI, which should I try next: FFV or Chrono Trigger? I’ve never played either.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TL posted:

Almost finished with FFVI, which should I try next: FFV or Chrono Trigger? I’ve never played either.

I'd say Chrono Trigger. FFV might feel a bit too similar in places while CT is very much its own thing in addition to being a really great game.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Save FFV for a blind fiesta run this summer. It'll be here before you know it!

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Mustached Demon posted:

Save FFV for a blind fiesta run this summer. It'll be here before you know it!

Not sure I want my first play through to be a FJF fun but one day!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

TL posted:

Not sure I want my first play through to be a FJF fun but one day!

It's way less daunting than you'd think. The discord can help you navigate through in any walls.

Pro: you won't get decision paralysis about all the choices.

Con: you don't get to experience all the jobs on one playthrough.

Either ones perfectly fine because you'll be playing V and it's the best of the NES/SNES era.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I’ve only got 3 of 4 crystals in FFIII right now and I’m feeling the job selection paralysis. Thief or Black Belt? Viking or Knight? Evoker or Geomancer (or Ranger)? … At least I have one character that can just be a White Mage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The nice thing about 3 is that you're not locked into any particular thing. I think the Pixel Remaster even fixed some jobs that were kinda useless in the original.