Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ColdPie posted:

Notation question: Can someone check my reading of this scramble?

In your example B I think the lead-in and that measure is

code:
x x x 9 0 7
x x 7 7 0 5

X X 10 11 X 8
X X  9  9 0 7  
X X  7  9 0 5
which lets you maintain the 1 4 0 3 fingering throughout, catches the F# and accounts for maintaining the E into the 3rd chord of the 2nd measure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Haha, I tried across three evenings to figure this out and still got it wrong! Guitar is hard. Thank you for taking a look, that makes sense. That 5 to 9 in the last group is quite stretchy for me.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Over the weekend I have caught some sort of plague and it has urged me to immediately get back into guitar. I haven't played for about 10 years and back then I wasn't good, so it's all up from here! Bear with my numerous questions...

I have a franken-strat that I assembled back then but have barely touched. It will need new strings obviously, but what else?
There is a master luthier just down the road from me who can do a tune up, is that best?
What brand/model of strings are good now? I think I was using 10 gauge back then, is that still good?

I have an Orange AD-15 which I will never part with. Will that need some sort of tune up/service too?

Given I now live in an apartment I will need a load box with a headphone out to be able to crank said angry fruit amp. I can get the Two Note Torpedo Captor, Mesa Boogie Cab Clone or Universal Audio Ox (but I'm not spending that $$$$$). Leaning towards the Captor, is that OK?

I've seen some chat about the Line 6 Helix and it looks like we finally might have decent digital amp solutions that don't cost the earth. Would the above load box, a Helix (probably LT model) and my existing pedals all be able to work together? This is probably a future thing if I actually want to ply long term.

Tell me what else has changed in the guitar world in the last 10 years?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Red_Fred posted:

Over the weekend I have caught some sort of plague and it has urged me to immediately get back into guitar. I haven't played for about 10 years and back then I wasn't good, so it's all up from here! Bear with my numerous questions...

I have a franken-strat that I assembled back then but have barely touched. It will need new strings obviously, but what else?
There is a master luthier just down the road from me who can do a tune up, is that best?
What brand/model of strings are good now? I think I was using 10 gauge back then, is that still good?

I have an Orange AD-15 which I will never part with. Will that need some sort of tune up/service too?

Given I now live in an apartment I will need a load box with a headphone out to be able to crank said angry fruit amp. I can get the Two Note Torpedo Captor, Mesa Boogie Cab Clone or Universal Audio Ox (but I'm not spending that $$$$$). Leaning towards the Captor, is that OK?

I've seen some chat about the Line 6 Helix and it looks like we finally might have decent digital amp solutions that don't cost the earth. Would the above load box, a Helix (probably LT model) and my existing pedals all be able to work together? This is probably a future thing if I actually want to ply long term.

Tell me what else has changed in the guitar world in the last 10 years?

Welcome back! Let me try to take this in order but definitely don't just take my advice. Get multiple opinions.

Strings: If you're not keen on changing them often, definitely go with a coated string. I'm a huge fan of D’Addario NYXL though lots of folks love and swear by elixir polywebs as well. 10s are probably still the default for a lot of brands though slinkys have made the .9s super popular and if you don't explicitly need the heavier gauge you may find it easier on your fingers to get back in by using a .9 set or a mixed heavy/light set.

Luthier: If it's been a decade in disuse, a luthier will definitely be able to get it back up to playing speed for you. May not be explicitly necessary but if they're around and affordable and you're serious, they'll probably do the best job. But a guitar shop could probably do all the stuff you need, too, and most likely sooner for less money. Apart from a general set-up, if the fretboard is not maple it'll probably need a good oiling, the electronics hit with some deoxit, and the whole thing cleaned up (e.g., if the frets are tarnished or gashed up, they'll need to be leveled and shined and so on - though if they are wrecked at that point you will want to go the luthier route)

I'm completely out of my depth on the analog amp so... I'll leave that to the other goons to answer.

Helix: If you're wanting to run everything through the orange you could probably get away with a Helix Stomp XL rather than an LT, since you won't need the amp modeling functionality. The stomp is basically just a self-contained pedal board at the point. Though if you want to play around with tons of sound options, the LT and some FRFR speakers is a lot of fun (that's the set-up I run)

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Dang. I found the power supply for my THR10x and I really, really like it. I'd be curious to try out the blues flavor now but that's not really practical.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Dang. I found the power supply for my THR10x and I really, really like it. I'd be curious to try out the blues flavor now but that's not really practical.

Great, ain't it? Mine's basically sitting on Brown II 95% of the time. Sounds so loving good with some Wilkinson single coils.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

playing out this saturday, downtown outside in the evening. gonna bring my Real Amp instead of the practice amp we use in rehearsal. gonna be sick.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

also, i'm curious about who the best contemporary jazz guitarists are. curious what they're doing/how they're playing/that sorta thing

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Break a leg landgrabber!

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Great, ain't it? Mine's basically sitting on Brown II 95% of the time. Sounds so loving good with some Wilkinson single coils.

I've been feeding it pedals on the clean channel and it is good at that too!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Yeah, that's where mine lives too. I even use it clean, just turn the gain down to about 10:30 or 11:00, bass to 9:00, mids cranked, treble to maybe 2:00?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

landgrabber posted:

also, i'm curious about who the best contemporary jazz guitarists are. curious what they're doing/how they're playing/that sorta thing

Bill Frisell is in his late career but still plays beautifully; Gilad Hekselman was a guy I turned up researching pedals, he seems to be a particular sort of pedal-based solo flavor that's growing; looping and freezing etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnDZ7yb5g-c

But Julian Lage, in particular, is a guy we might still be listening to in 40 years. A once-a-generation talent, still young, seems relatively sane and settled in. Ungodly chops and ear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a3qAp81vY8

e: I'm sure there are a dozen others people have discovered and can share, but really it's really Lage looming over everyone for the next 2 generations, at least.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 26, 2022

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Also if I'm not mistaken, his whole setup in that video is a tele, a Champ, and a Flint.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Welcome back! Let me try to take this in order but definitely don't just take my advice. Get multiple opinions.

Strings: If you're not keen on changing them often, definitely go with a coated string. I'm a huge fan of D’Addario NYXL though lots of folks love and swear by elixir polywebs as well. 10s are probably still the default for a lot of brands though slinkys have made the .9s super popular and if you don't explicitly need the heavier gauge you may find it easier on your fingers to get back in by using a .9 set or a mixed heavy/light set.

Luthier: If it's been a decade in disuse, a luthier will definitely be able to get it back up to playing speed for you. May not be explicitly necessary but if they're around and affordable and you're serious, they'll probably do the best job. But a guitar shop could probably do all the stuff you need, too, and most likely sooner for less money. Apart from a general set-up, if the fretboard is not maple it'll probably need a good oiling, the electronics hit with some deoxit, and the whole thing cleaned up (e.g., if the frets are tarnished or gashed up, they'll need to be leveled and shined and so on - though if they are wrecked at that point you will want to go the luthier route)

I'm completely out of my depth on the analog amp so... I'll leave that to the other goons to answer.

Helix: If you're wanting to run everything through the orange you could probably get away with a Helix Stomp XL rather than an LT, since you won't need the amp modeling functionality. The stomp is basically just a self-contained pedal board at the point. Though if you want to play around with tons of sound options, the LT and some FRFR speakers is a lot of fun (that's the set-up I run)

Thanks for the response.

I’ll go with the NYXL as I can get them locally and take it in to that luthier. Sounds like he’ll just charge me what it costs and plus that guitar was an amateur assembly job at the time so may have always needed a little work.

Hopefully some amp experts can post on that part.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Tuned the low E string down to a C on a whim. It’s really fun to play the low string like a drone to keep your rhythm, a banjo style drone but low and rhythmic. Riffing off of that on the upper strings or all around in C scale, It really sounds fresh and different. Curious about tuning up to F# but my guitar is a 1958 Gibson and I don’t want to push it too hard, I only fingerpick.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Cheese Thief posted:

Tuned the low E string down to a C on a whim. It’s really fun to play the low string like a drone to keep your rhythm, a banjo style drone but low and rhythmic. Riffing off of that on the upper strings or all around in C scale, It really sounds fresh and different. Curious about tuning up to F# but my guitar is a 1958 Gibson and I don’t want to push it too hard, I only fingerpick.

You should tune down to drop F#

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

muike posted:

You should tune down to drop F#

Oh yea wtf am I thinking, of course. What’s the lowest you’ve gone.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Drop D down an octave!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cheese Thief posted:

drop A on a gibson scale, but with 13-56 strings

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

landgrabber posted:

The kiddies from CHON somehow lumped in with prog metal but that poo poo is jazz I don't care what anyone says

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EcjZdSjlUk

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Cheese Thief posted:

I've started writing material where everything is basically going through a POG an octave down.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

landgrabber posted:

not exactly contemporary but Ted Greene is a must

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Gramps posted:

The kiddies from CHON somehow lumped in with prog metal but that poo poo is jazz I don't care what anyone says

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EcjZdSjlUk

i have no idea what about any of this could be considered metal

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
yeah thats some gatekeeping bullshit but I listen to unreqvited and alcest so whatever, just because something isn't metal doesn't mean it's bad. Just kinda weird when that stuff gets labeled the same as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4Tr17RGo1o

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 27, 2022

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, that's where mine lives too. I even use it clean, just turn the gain down to about 10:30 or 11:00, bass to 9:00, mids cranked, treble to maybe 2:00?

I tried this and it was a nice singing tone.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Spanish Manlove posted:

i have no idea what about any of this could be considered metal

ive seen people literally crowd surf to chon. it's insane. but they are pretty good not gonna front

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
anybody got suggestions on what i could do to emulate the tone on this solo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzrkAAkl38Y&t=74s

got a cube 10 gx if it matters, otherwise can work with daw plugins

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Here's an interesting video on the problems with using open chords to cover songs that originally had different chord choices.

https://youtu.be/BEWQNKbXHQk

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

This is a cheap student grade Lg-0 but it has a sweet spot when hitting strings with fingernails at a moderately high intensity. For $800 too, but until I get the tascam 4track back, recording digitally with latency is too unpleasant.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

gently caress that's pretty.
I'm a sucker for small body acoustics

Real wood american made guitar for $800 is a good deal these days, too

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Am thinking about picking up one of Harley Benton kit guitars, quite possibly their Jazzmaster copy. There's actually a contest on to customize one, which might be fine if not a little ambitious given I think I'd have until mid-June and I absolutely won't win in any case. I've also not found access to any wood working facilities for it yet, as I'd definitely want the proper setup for trimming the headstock.

But setting that aside, this seems like a good opportunity to muck around with some new stuff. With it's longer fret scale, would it be worth trying out thicker gauge strings on it? One other point of interest is that it would be my first P90 guitar, although they are a fairly horrible hearing-aid beige. I'd definitely try them out but perhaps a good way to try swapping pickups out on something.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Spanish Manlove posted:

drop A on a gibson scale, but with 13-56 strings

Disgusting, I don't even like B on a 25.5.

e: Speaking of Harley Benton, I feel compelled to share my experience with the 7 string I bought. Unplayable. lots of buzzing frets, a few completely dead frets. It took some finagling and negotiating, but when I finally just asked to ship it back for a refund they let me keep it with refund minus the shipping. I leveled the frets(went through 3 strips of 400 grit) and it plays better, but it still will not stay in tune, even getting it into tune is almost impossible. It'll need a nut and some tuners, and at that point, it'll be an alright guitar. It looks pretty slick though.

Also Stringjoy has a tension calculator that you can input your scale lengths and you can figure out what gauge strings you'd need. Just put in what you normally use on a normal scale to figure out how many lbs of tension you are used to playing.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 27, 2022

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Going to buy some pickups I want now while I can get a good deal on them - how do I know how many wires I need?

They're ESP LH-150s.

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 28, 2022

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Cheese Thief posted:

recording digitally with latency is too unpleasant.

Just don't monitor the mics, you should be able to hear your guitar just fine in the room.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Fret Polishing, my DKMG needs it pretty bad, it's got some scuffs and stuff. I have some sandpaper, 600, 800, 1500, 2000, 3000 grit. Some 0000 steel wool, fret erasers, and some polish/cloth. What all of those and what order should I use? Maybe a quick 800 pass, then work up to 3k, then steel wool? Wonder if I'd even need the fret erasers.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

e: Speaking of Harley Benton, I feel compelled to share my experience with the 7 string I bought. Unplayable. lots of buzzing frets, a few completely dead frets. It took some finagling and negotiating, but when I finally just asked to ship it back for a refund they let me keep it with refund minus the shipping. I leveled the frets(went through 3 strips of 400 grit) and it plays better, but it still will not stay in tune, even getting it into tune is almost impossible. It'll need a nut and some tuners, and at that point, it'll be an alright guitar. It looks pretty slick though.

Also Stringjoy has a tension calculator that you can input your scale lengths and you can figure out what gauge strings you'd need. Just put in what you normally use on a normal scale to figure out how many lbs of tension you are used to playing.

I had seen issues come up regarding the tuners on the JA (I have to assume they are the same as the rest of the line thought) and was planning to get alternatives from the outset. All the YT reviews I have seem of them seem pretty happy with the necks but maybe the issue stems from some 7-string consideration? Or maybe the guitar YouTubers all knew what they were doing better than whoever put yours together? Have also seen wiring issues come up, specifically one of them had their switch wired the wrong way around. Nothing as serious as what you seem to have encountered anyway.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
They probably just forgot to level the frets at the factory. The neck itself actually feels pretty good, it has a nice profile for a 7 string. The fan is comfortable too. I just don't feel like dicking around with buying tuners and a nut(which I would have to file and shape myself since it's a multi scale guitar) when I have this sick rear end Soloist I just bought that would be sicker with some locking tuners and some Fishmans. And after that I need some acoustic treatment for my living room. So it's just low down on my priority list.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

well it took three years of playing guitar but i can finally play like eating glass by bloc party with proper muting lmfao

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

landgrabber posted:

well it took three years of playing guitar but i can finally play like eating glass by bloc party with proper muting lmfao

That sucks, you need try harder.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cheese Thief posted:

That sucks, you need try harder.

eh you don't get to throw stones here buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

landgrabber posted:

gently caress yeah, that's awesome. And honestly there's songs where the the technical difficulty of the song doesn't matter with the time to learn it for some reason. There's a couple Pumpkins songs I still can't play properly for some loving reason and they aren't the shreddy hard ones lmao

But seriously that's awesome :cool: