Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

ijyt posted:

Has anyone heard from Exit Strategy btw? They've not posted since March :ohdear:

I haven't heard anything, and I've been watching this thread closely for any updates. I PM'd them back on 3/19 about shipping stuff, but never heard back. Hope they're okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

This is really nice, I like that wide frame around it. What keyboard is this?

Sorry this keyboard isn't for you. I noticed you used a question mark. Those are forbidden.

Inept fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 20, 2022

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Ordered my sets of both versions of the Voynich keyboard, GB ends soon, also desk mats. Once I get my ducky one 3 hot-swap RGB in white or black I'm done that is it that's the end. No more.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

pseudanonymous posted:

Ordered my sets of both versions of the Voynich keyboard, GB ends soon, also desk mats. Once I get my ducky one 3 hot-swap RGB in white or black I'm done that is it that's the end. No more.

That's what we all say my friend

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

pseudanonymous posted:

Once I get my ducky one 3 hot-swap RGB in white or black I'm done that is it that's the end. No more.

lol

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

pseudanonymous posted:

Well congrats on your keysets, I hope you like them. lol @ "it's over."
I only snagged the Novelty mods and monolegends (and bars and stuff). I wanted all the kits but I have too many other things coming up I have to make sure I'm prepared for.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

pseudanonymous posted:

Ducky’s are not endgame. They are just the beginning.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Can I get a little help with my Atlantis PS17? This VIA-compatible numpad with rotary knob finally came in today, and I love it! Except...VIA doesn't seem to recognise it offhand? The PS-17 is recognised in the key tester for sure though, so it can definitely read the inputs.

I googled Atlantis PS17 Via and found this Github page. Do I need to learn how to flash QMK and build software etc before I can use the PS17 in Via? Or can I skip to the last step? I didn't expect to have to use this so I'm out of my depth tbh, any help is appreciated.

If I have to flash QMK and build the software, is there like a really, really, really simplified, baby steps guide out there? Preferably in video form? I'm looking at the links provided at the bottom of the Github and tbh it feels so open ended that I'm scared to do anything

EDIT: Turns out I didn't need to flash! Just needed to load the appropriate Json file. Phew. But I can flash if I want more colours/layers

Artelier fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 21, 2022

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Was looking through Mech group buys and saw there’s a Keychain Q65. https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-q65-qmk-custom-mechanical-keyboard

I like the layout, since it has all the essential keys without most of the F-row. Is there a name for this layout?

Ideally I’d like one with wireless and in plastic so I can bring it elsewhere, so it would be nice to see alternatives.

E: also is there a name for the kind of PBT material/finish that Leopold uses? I really like the keycap texture of my Leopold TKL but it is missing some of the smaller keys to use elsewhere. I thought all PBT was the same but the GMMK ones are horrible.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 21, 2022

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

Was looking through Mech group buys and saw there’s a Keychain Q65. https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-q65-qmk-custom-mechanical-keyboard

I like the layout, since it has all the essential keys without most of the F-row. Is there a name for this layout?

Ideally I’d like one with wireless and in plastic so I can bring it elsewhere, so it would be nice to see alternatives.

E: also is there a name for the kind of PBT material/finish that Leopold uses? I really like the keycap texture of my Leopold TKL but it is missing some of the smaller keys to use elsewhere. I thought all PBT was the same but the GMMK ones are horrible.

I think people usually call that an Extended 65, Ext65, or 70%.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

dumb question, but are all keyboard keycaps essentially replaceable? I have a Kinesis Freestyle 2 and before I try to start yanking keys and maybe breaking something I wanted to double check. I also can't find where they specify the keycap style.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

dumb question, but are all keyboard keycaps essentially replaceable? I have a Kinesis Freestyle 2 and before I try to start yanking keys and maybe breaking something I wanted to double check. I also can't find where they specify the keycap style.

From the product page:

quote:

The Freestyle2 utilizes a quiet, low-force, tactile membrane key switch.

Extremely unlikely there are any replacement keycaps available for this thing.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

mewse posted:

From the product page:

Extremely unlikely there are any replacement keycaps available for this thing.

I'm glad I asked because I was interpreting that as only talking about the switches. Thanks!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Most mechanicals these days are steering to be compatible with cherry mx style switch stems so they can fit mx compatible keycaps because of their huge popularity and wide availability. As mewse pointed out this isn't the case for your keyboard, unfortunately. I'd see if Kinesis has any support for it if you're getting some worn or broken keycaps, though. Smaller companies that make specialty stuff sometimes have better support.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Rexxed posted:

Most mechanicals these days are steering to be compatible with cherry mx style switch stems so they can fit mx compatible keycaps because of their huge popularity and wide availability. As mewse pointed out this isn't the case for your keyboard, unfortunately. I'd see if Kinesis has any support for it if you're getting some worn or broken keycaps, though. Smaller companies that make specialty stuff sometimes have better support.

the keyboard is fine, I was just looking to see if I could jazz it up a little bit and to tide me over until my TH80 shows up

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

ijyt posted:

I think people usually call that an Extended 65, Ext65, or 70%.

70% is a 60% but with a function row, so no arrow keys. But yes, 65% with macro or extended 65% is what you'll commonly see it as.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ijyt posted:

Has anyone heard from Exit Strategy btw? They've not posted since March :ohdear:

I've been a little worried about him too, it sounded like he had kind of a tough winter and I hoped the new year would be better to him. :smith: I hope you're well, Exit Strategy!

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

Midjack posted:

I've been a little worried about him too, it sounded like he had kind of a tough winter and I hoped the new year would be better to him. :smith: I hope you're well, Exit Strategy!

I’ve seen him going on and offline on discord but he didn’t reply to a message asking how things are going re: shipping.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Picked up a Massdrop ALT with Cherry Blues to replace my old Corsair K70:

QMK is awesome, already tinkered my layers together to the point of getting rid of my xmodmap/autohotkey configurations on my work and personal machines, I can already tell this will progress to the point of being incomprehensible for anyone else using my board haha. Got some pudding style caps in the same colorscheme coming, that should really complete the look.

I'm liking the blues over the browns quite a bit, might look into greens though. Love me some heavy switches, mistypes annoy the hell out of me.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Picked up a Massdrop ALT with Cherry Blues to replace my old Corsair K70:

QMK is awesome, already tinkered my layers together to the point of getting rid of my xmodmap/autohotkey configurations on my work and personal machines, I can already tell this will progress to the point of being incomprehensible for anyone else using my board haha. Got some pudding style caps in the same colorscheme coming, that should really complete the look.

I'm liking the blues over the browns quite a bit, might look into greens though. Love me some heavy switches, mistypes annoy the hell out of me.

I also have an alt, and it is a great board overall with some basic mods. Gets some better stabilizers, lube them, bandaid mod them, and lube your switches well. After that it's an amazing daily use board.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Don't those lack 5 pin switch compatibility?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

LionArcher posted:

Does anyone on here actually like cherry profile? I’m trying to learn to love it with my Nautilus key caps but it is hard over XDA. I care because all of the best sets are in cherry.

Unsinkabear posted:

Ask me in a week or two. My switch component order comes in tomorrow, and once I have them assembled and installed, the first keycap set I'm planning to put on them is Cherry (testing it out for the same reason as you).

Follow up: Cherry good. Just enough sculpting so that I never find myself on the wrong row. The low profile looks nice, means you get a nice tone, and prevents the slide-off typos you get when the same narrow width gets taller in stuff like OEM.

Other than losing the ability to move keys between rows, I don't really see any negatives?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Unsinkabear posted:

If you have a pair of side cutters everything is 5-pin compatible.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Unsinkabear posted:

Yeah but it wasn't an issue for me

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
That AVA looks spectacular.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
That bottom one especially is great.

On a different note, I'm working on building a Sofle (following this guide: https://josefadamcik.github.io/SofleKeyboard/build_guide.html) and I've got everything working except the OLEDs. I wanted to double check to make sure I haven't missed any troubleshooting steps.

The bridging looks correct, and I redid the solder joints between the OLEDs and the PCBs just in case. I've tried a couple versions of the firmware, all with the OLEDs enabled, but no dice.

I'm kind of at a loss re: what to try next; I guess I might just get different screens to try, but it didn't seem likely both are bad. If anyone's run into other issues, or has ideas re what to do I'd love to hear them. Googling around hasn't done much for me so far.

This whole process is, on the one hand, not ~that~ difficult, but man was soldering the diodes an absolute journey. I just used a small tip and regular solder and I'm absolutely going to get flux and a heat gun before doing that again.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I decided to replace my Rii RK100+ RGB so, rather then just buy a mechanical keyboard from Amazon, I decided to check this thread and follow advice.

I bought the recommended switch tester https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GZHU1EG?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details, and I'm assuming the 9 switches are all a different type. I can kind of feel the difference between some of them but not all. I like the one in the middle that says R3 20 on the cap and is a red switch that has Cherry labeled on it, Cherry MX Red I'm assuming.

I definitely do not like the ones that make an actual clicking sound like the Blue and Green. I do like the feel of the switches that have more resistance like the gray ones but don't want to to far in the other direction from what I've been using for 20+ years for the first upgrade

Next step from what I can tell is pick a RGB keyboard I like from one of the sites in the OP, and order Cherry MX Red switches. What other factors am I looking for beyond plastic/aluminum/steel for the keyboard frame?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I’m just breaking into the hobby and I bought a GMMK Pro to mess around with. Not going crazy with mods, I just replaced the stabilizers so far. I reassembled and tested everything and one single button doesn’t work, the menu button. I tried multiple switches and none register presses. Now, this is probably genuinely my least used key in the entire keyboard, so I can live with it, but is there anything I can try? I neglected to test the board first thing like a dummy so I can’t say whether this was a problem on arrival or if it was something I did during dis/reassembly

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Did you remove and reinstall the switches? It’s possible the pin on the switch got bent and you just have to bend it back into place and reinstall back into the hot swap socket.

E: oops. I’m a dummy and saw that you already tried with multiple switches.

mewse
May 2, 2006

pentyne posted:

I decided to replace my Rii RK100+ RGB so, rather then just buy a mechanical keyboard from Amazon, I decided to check this thread and follow advice.

I bought the recommended switch tester https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GZHU1EG?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details, and I'm assuming the 9 switches are all a different type. I can kind of feel the difference between some of them but not all. I like the one in the middle that says R3 20 on the cap and is a red switch that has Cherry labeled on it, Cherry MX Red I'm assuming.

I definitely do not like the ones that make an actual clicking sound like the Blue and Green. I do like the feel of the switches that have more resistance like the gray ones but don't want to to far in the other direction from what I've been using for 20+ years for the first upgrade

Next step from what I can tell is pick a RGB keyboard I like from one of the sites in the OP, and order Cherry MX Red switches. What other factors am I looking for beyond plastic/aluminum/steel for the keyboard frame?

The standard cherry colors are red / blue / brown - linear / clicky / tactile respectively.

That switch tester has the standard 3 colors and a bunch of wacky colors that aren't really available. Cherry greens are just blues with a stiffer spring. Cherry clears are the most desirable - they have a larger tactile bump on their stems but they suffer from a stiff spring so people give them a weaker spring and call them "ergo clears".

If you like the red switches I'd suggest a redragon surara K582, which should be cheap from amazon - the RGB is great. It has an aluminum plate internally for the switches.

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I’m just breaking into the hobby and I bought a GMMK Pro to mess around with. Not going crazy with mods, I just replaced the stabilizers so far. I reassembled and tested everything and one single button doesn’t work, the menu button. I tried multiple switches and none register presses. Now, this is probably genuinely my least used key in the entire keyboard, so I can live with it, but is there anything I can try? I neglected to test the board first thing like a dummy so I can’t say whether this was a problem on arrival or if it was something I did during dis/reassembly

This is most likely not broken, just a Fn key. There should be a user manual that tells you what Fn+key combinations there are.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

mewse posted:

This is most likely not broken, just a Fn key. There should be a user manual that tells you what Fn+key combinations there are.

Ohhhh, this would make a ton of sense. I’ll look into that, thanks!

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Oh wait, for some reason I was confusing the keys around. Are you talking about whatever is bounded to the right side, modifier keys (next to the arrow cluster)? I think the other goon is correct, I was looking at the default layout of the GMMK Pro and they stick a Fn key to trigger a Fn layer on that side.

I’d refer to the user guide to see what the default configuration is.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

mes posted:

Oh wait, for some reason I was confusing the keys around. Are you talking about whatever is bounded to the right side, modifier keys (next to the arrow cluster)? I think the other goon is correct, I was looking at the default layout of the GMMK Pro and they stick a Fn key to trigger a Fn layer on that side.

I’d refer to the user guide to see what the default configuration is.

Yep, this turned out to be exactly the "issue." There was no included documentation so it didn't even occur to me

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

mewse posted:

The standard cherry colors are red / blue / brown - linear / clicky / tactile respectively.

That switch tester has the standard 3 colors and a bunch of wacky colors that aren't really available. Cherry greens are just blues with a stiffer spring. Cherry clears are the most desirable - they have a larger tactile bump on their stems but they suffer from a stiff spring so people give them a weaker spring and call them "ergo clears".

If you like the red switches I'd suggest a redragon surara K582, which should be cheap from amazon - the RGB is great. It has an aluminum plate internally for the switches.

Alright, I"m buying the K582 red switch. I actually need 2 keyboards in general, one for a work computer and one for gaming computer so I might buy a different switch type of the same model as well and see how they both do for different purposes.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Have to swap out the OLEDs and get rotary encoder knobs that fit, but hey! Joining the split keyboard gang.

I also immediately ordered another pcb and wireless pro micro replacements; turns out it's really satisfying to build keyboards...

E: at least when I told myself my 65% with these keycaps was my endgame I was 1/2 right.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

My Keychron q2 Barebone came in today. Looks amazing, just waiting almost a month for my switches (Bobba u4t) and keycaps to arrive :(.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Do yourself a favor, as a fellow sofle guy: get a longer TRRS cable so you can spread out farther

oh and these fellers

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Ah good call, just ordered a 6 fter and the wrist rests.

Excited for my new ergonomic life (and cracking 30 wpm on this thing...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
For the Redragon K582 everything works great but when doing some excel work I noticed that the 8 on the numpad was occasionally not responding when fully depressed.

Is this common and should I be stress testing all the keys out of the box to make sure they work? I replaced the faulty key with one of the extra switches that came with the keyboard and it seems to be working fine.