Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Grittybeard posted:

I missed old tech chat a while back but I'm pretty sure I've got a dot matrix printer sitting around somewhere and I bet you that thing would still work like a champ if I bothered to find it and figure out how to hook it up.

I wonder if you can even get ink for them anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Lol

https://twitter.com/Ian_Fraser/status/1519427222926462995?t=5Hx6gRdISR_yvL5Wt_5qKw&s=19

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Tesla stock took a dump and it probably scrapped all his financing.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

lmfao

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

:discourse:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

BigPaddy posted:

That is a character from Spaceballs :colbert:

I prefer to think of the name as a character from Reboot :getin:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Intruder posted:

I wonder if you can even get ink for them anymore

Absolutely. You can print on triplicate forms with dot matrix (and the ones with a solid ball of type, forget what those are called) so they are still made and sold for specialty applications.

My old Okidata 16-pin was a fantastically robust hunk of iron and plastic. Loud as gently caress.

Qwijib0 posted:

I’m waiting for my flight in Vegas and count 3 others in the gate area with a mask.

Bout the same boarding my Billings flight, now.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

It should be pointed out that this is an opinion piece, but hopefully one that comes true.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
That article is all speculation but musk doesn't just abandon deals which is why starlink and neuralink and the Tesla truck and the boring company are all massive successes and why he saved those kids without calling anyone a pedophile

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

This would own but I'm not sure a speculative op-ed really means much if anything.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Leperflesh posted:

Absolutely. You can print on triplicate forms with dot matrix (and the ones with a solid ball of type, forget what those are called) so they are still made and sold for specialty applications.

IBM Selectric.

And only the printhead on dot matrix printers was dot matrix (as in, each character was a collection of dots arranged in a matrix to form the characters). The paper was called pinfeed, because the printer had small plastic pins that went into the small holes on the edges of the paper in order to advance it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

6 masks total on an Embraer E175, seats full. I can hear someone coughing lol.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Leperflesh posted:

My old Okidata 16-pin was a fantastically robust hunk of iron and plastic. Loud as gently caress.

Bout the same boarding my Billings flight, now.

Billings Montana? I’m so sorry

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Now I’ve got the dot matrix printer sound in my head. Thanks y’all.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Silly Burrito posted:

remembering the joy of removing the edges from dot matrix printer paper

well, sometimes it was a joy, sometimes it was annoying

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Thaddius the Large posted:

Billings Montana? I’m so sorry

Red Lodge, tonight. I flew out of Bozeman, beginning of the month. I assume Billings is similar.

saintonan posted:

IBM Selectric.

Ah, yeah, although I swear there were non ibm ones too. Also, daisy wheel! Sooooo slow, lol.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Silly Burrito posted:

Just going to dial into my ISP using my 56k modem and stay away from those 56k no way pages on Geocities.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I saw my grocery store he Bachan’s Japanese BBQ sauce so I grabbed the hot and spicy one and dangit this is some good sauce. Gonna smother some miso glazed salmon in it later.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Silly Burrito posted:

https://youtu.be/o0QHY7S-OtU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Leperflesh posted:

Red Lodge, tonight. I flew out of Bozeman, beginning of the month. I assume Billings is similar.

Ah, yeah, although I swear there were non ibm ones too. Also, daisy wheel! Sooooo slow, lol.

I’m sure Billings is as tolerable as Boise or similar, just throwing out old high school rivalry bullshit. Can’t offer many (any) Montana recommendations east of Livingston, but I’ve got fond childhood memories of the Roundup Rodeo if your stay extends to, well, July!

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Owned

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Everything east of Missoula is a mistake

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Leperflesh posted:

I hope you have a safe and convenient trip, my friend.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Silly Burrito posted:

Yeah, Hollywood Video receipts were printed on dot matrix in TYOOL 2006 (presumably later, that's the last time I worked there). Thinking about them immediately puts me back to waiting on every piece of technology involved in renting movies to people.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Spring needs to knock this poo poo off and not be in the 30's anymore.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Rectal Placenta posted:

It is 70 here my guy

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Intruder posted:

remembering the joy of removing the edges from dot matrix printer paper

well, sometimes it was a joy, sometimes it was annoying

You have to fold the edges together into a little accordion after to complete the ritual

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Rectal Placenta posted:

I was frolicking about in shorts and a Hawaiian on Saturday sweating my tits off in 80 degree weather and now I’m in pajama pants and a hoodie under a fleece blanket with the heat turned back on

:mad:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Rectal Placenta posted:

Yeah.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
54 and raining is better than 42 and raining :toot:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I was in the Charleston "International"(?) Airport when they announced the end of the mask mandate. The Delta lady ended her announcement with "Now we can all breathe freely!" People cheered and hooted and hollered.

CHS offers direct flights to London via British airways but they’ve never changed their name. When I was a child they had tons of international flights out of that old side of the terminal by baggage carousels.

Also yeah it’s Charleston and we’ve got plenty of dumdums but also we are chock full of loving idiots from everywhere else.

Also it’s weird I didn’t sense the goon presence passing through like a ship in the night.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LeeMajors posted:

CHS offers direct flights to London via British airways but they’ve never changed their name. When I was a child they had tons of international flights out of that old side of the terminal by baggage carousels.

We could probably get fknlo in here with real knowledge but from what I can tell you get to call yourself an international airport if you could theoretically accept or attempt international flights. Which maybe means customs (? in theory, I guess maybe the ability to put that together if need be with a staging area), longer runways, etc. Kansas City's KCI (MCI) is an international airport but offers no flights outside of the country that don't route through Chicago or New York or wherever as far as I can tell.

I also think maybe you just get to keep the name if you've ever done it, so if someone flew directly from KC to Toronto once, well that's some international stuff.

e: Oh they do specifically fly directly to Toronto, it's just been shut down because of the Pandemic.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 28, 2022

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Grittybeard posted:

We could probably get fknlo in here with real knowledge but from what I can tell you get to call yourself an international airport if you could theoretically accept or attempt international flights. Which maybe means customs (? in theory, I guess maybe the ability to put that together if need be with a staging area), longer runways, etc. Kansas City's KCI (MCI) is an international airport but offers no flights outside of the country that don't route through Chicago or New York or wherever as far as I can tell.

I also think maybe you just get to keep the name if you've ever done it, so if someone flew directly from KC to Toronto once, well that's some international stuff.

e: Oh they do specifically fly directly to Toronto, it's just been shut down because of the Pandemic.

They started up international flights again here maybe 4 or 5 years ago but we also share runways with Charleston AFB with a C17 squadron and F16s so we have pretty long runways. My dad flew internationally out of here a lot when I was a kid too, but I think they took like a 25yr hiatus.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Please package and send all your cold weather to Louisiana as after Saturday it will be 86-89 with humidity all next week. I'll gladly swap.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I always was annoyed when it was very very hot and people said "at least it's a dry heat" then I went to Houston in the spring and became one of those people who says "at least it's a dry heat."

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Skwirl posted:

I always was annoyed when it was very very hot and people said "at least it's a dry heat" then I went to Houston in the spring and became one of those people who says "at least it's a dry heat."

Cackling from my West Texas compound

But on the other hand, rain plz; it hasn’t rained in like 10 months

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Silly Burrito posted:

Please package and send all your cold weather to Louisiana as after Saturday it will be 86-89 with humidity all next week. I'll gladly swap.

I hate summer and am jealously hoarding all the cold weather here.

Its 43 here and I put the fans in the windows earlier. I like to keep the basement as cold as possible as long as I can.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I'm making dinner and realizing I picked up my drinking and cookimg habit from my grandma and now I'm super sad.

Also I got an update on the job. The supervisor wants to hire me (yay) and needed my birthdate to get my background check before implying that it's dumb HQ bullshit that's lead to delays. So fingers crossed I should get formal offer by the end of this week and then it's negotiating a start date. For most Washington state agencies, if you're a current state employee and you're transferring or got hired in to a new position you can only stary on the 1st or 15th for payroll reasons. I'm expecting my earliest start date, if things go through, will be June 1st but I can see it getting pushed out since my supervisor has bunch of time off in June and July but who knows.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

Airplanes have closed circulation systems so honestly… maybe I’m ignorant to the science but it really REALLY feels like they are straight Petri dishes anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Amy Pole Her posted:

Airplanes have closed circulation systems so honestly… maybe I’m ignorant to the science but it really REALLY feels like they are straight Petri dishes anyway

Actually they turn over the air in the cabin quite quickly while flying (though I would take quotes from industry insiders trying to convince people that their products are safe with a grain of salt, even if they are being quoted in NatGeo). I would be more concerned about the stale air in the terminal.